RWD Buick isn't dead

Supremus

Alpha, Zeta... either way it would be awesome.

A new RWD Buick by any other name will smell as sweet.

Edited by Sixty8panther

A Zeta Buick will never see the light of day. New car buyers have been increasingly disinterested in the full-size sedan market for many years. By 2011 a gallon of regular gas will cost over $5. At that price they will be completely disinterested in a 4000 pound sedan unless they're very rich and can afford a Lexus LS or BMW 7-series. By then, the G8 will be in its last throes too.

Edited by buyacargetacheck

Gee all that complaining in the other thread and it may have all been for nothing again.

As I have said before lets let the General speak with their true plans before anyone goes off the deep end.

Just because a Zeta is canceled it did nott cancel RWD. We have other options we know of and some we still have not seen.

Gee all that complaining in the other thread and it may have all been for nothing again.

As I have said before lets let the General speak with their true plans before anyone goes off the deep end.

Just because a Zeta is canceled it did nott cancel RWD. We have other options we know of and some we still have not seen.

I agree with you. But the main question is when will we see it? 2015?

If Buick gets an Alpha, there is no reason to keep Pontiac. I don't see how an Alpha really fits in with Buick seeing as how they'll have an EPII and probably a Global Delta as well, not to mention the Cadillac Alpha probably won't be much more expensive. Where is there room for it? It has to be not too far in size from the Global Delta and why would someone buy it over the Cadillac version?

If Buick gets an Alpha, there is no reason to keep Pontiac. I don't see how an Alpha really fits in with Buick seeing as how they'll have an EPII and probably a Global Delta as well, not to mention the Cadillac Alpha probably won't be much more expensive. Where is there room for it? It has to be not too far in size from the Global Delta and why would someone buy it over the Cadillac version?

We don't really have enough information to speculate how Alpha can be differentiated between Buick and Cadillac.

I do agree with you though, this spells the end for Pontiac.

We don't really have enough information to speculate how Alpha can be differentiated between Buick and Cadillac.

I do agree with you though, this spells the end for Pontiac.

Even if it can be differentiated somewhat, making it a Pontiac means less potential lawsuits and probably less lost sales. Buick can survive just fine with the Invicta, a Global Delta, Enclave and a TE "mini" Enclave. That would give them a lineup nearly identical to Acura's for the most part with the exception of the RL, which doesn't sell, anyways, so it's somewhat pointless to even count it as a model. Pontiac at least has new product for a while with the ST, Solstice Targa, and G8 GXP.

Honestly, I'm at the point where I almost don't want to hear anything until it's physically happening in production. I'm so tired of the roller coaster "We have it." "No we don't." "Yes we do." "Nope."

I want my Buick to be healthy. And it needs a flagship sedan.

Folks untill GM anounces that the following has taken place do not freak out.

Buick will not get a RWD.

Pontiac is dead.

Hummer will be killed or sold.

How often have we seen one small snippet of news gets blown out of reason when we do not get the full story or plan.

GM has moved ahead on the Cobalt replacment and the Volt is due in 2010. With the way they are moving a lot of things will change and come to market. Many of these cars were already on the books just they were not planning on them this soon.

The fact is high gas is here and GM needs to get the small cars to maket to take advantage of them or lose sales to Toyota or Honda.

So if GM does not spell out all the detail on a product move keep an open mind as they are not always showing you all the cards. The wording is carefully chosen so pay attention.

Case in point when Zeta went on hold many people killed the car and it was a few people like Scott Settlemire of GM pointed out it was a hold and only a hold.

Now if GM says no more RWD Buick you will have a good idea but just killing the Zeta is not to say RWD.

Same goes for Pontiac as we have not been told of a Alpha. But that does not mean they do not have something better or a later Alpha planned.

It is time for most of us to be smart and understand we are only seeing 15% of what GM has planned. I know we here may be better informed than most but even many with in GM do not get or know the whole picture.

So pull up a chair get a cold beverage and just watch what happens and what is said. Then use a little common sense with what you learn.

I feel in the end while thing are going to change it is not near as bad as some feel it is going to be. I have lived through 2 dooms days before. We will end up weith some cool cars and some practical cars. We will not be with out out toys but they will be different.

Time to let the 50's and 60's go and move into the new era or get left behind.

What would make them love an Alpha Buick more than an Alpha Cadillac?

Buick is and has been the choice of China due to the royal family years ago rode in a Buick. Thatr would be my guess.. Buick is a status symbol there.

Even if it can be differentiated somewhat, making it a Pontiac means less potential lawsuits and probably less lost sales. Buick can survive just fine with the Invicta, a Global Delta, Enclave and a TE "mini" Enclave. That would give them a lineup nearly identical to Acura's for the most part with the exception of the RL, which doesn't sell, anyways, so it's somewhat pointless to even count it as a model. Pontiac at least has new product for a while with the ST, Solstice Targa, and G8 GXP.

I agree entirely. It would also make it very similar to Volvo, and both that and Acura are sort of premium brands just short of full-out luxury, which is what Buick should be IMO.

I agree with your lineup, except that I think Buick still needs a FWD flagship sedan above the Invicta. The Lucerne might not be the big seller that the LeSabre was in the past, but I still see quite a few of them out on the road. I think that a next generation flagship will need newer, more fuel efficient engine options (most of the Lucernes that I see out and about have 3 portholes which would indicate that the smaller engine sells much better anyway), but I think this kind of product is still needed in Buick's lineup. I think there will still be a market for a comfortable, upscale FWD large sedan in the U.S., but the car will need to be more fuel efficient to fit in with the times. The car needs a beautiful Invicta-esque design and a well executed Enclave-esque premium feel to elevate Buick's status and image (this also applies to the proposed Delta compact and sub-Enclave Theta based crossover as well).

I think Pontiac needs an affordable version of Alpha much worse than Buick. This car could be sold as a Pontiac in the U.S., a Holden in Australia, a Chevy in the Middle East, a Daewoo in Korea, etc. This would offset the costs of providing Pontiac with the brand appropriate product it needs to become relevant in the market again and escape its twin nostriled Chevy clone image. I think well executed, beautifully styled, appropriately premium FWD products are all Buick needs to attract attention and return the brand to prominence and relevance in the market. Pontiac suffers from a very damaged and diluted image in the market and desperately needs products with a distinctive twist and "Wow Factor" to change the public's perception of the brand and attract customers to the showroom.