It's NEW new car time...perhaps

I would go HHR or Fit if it was me. No Scion or Toyota if it were me. Side not an Astra would be fun but they get pricey and would rather have an SS HHR myself. What about a stripped Malibu LS?

Yeah, I'm rethinking the Scion thing...I think that's really far from "me". HHR still possible, I just wonder about actual economy and weight, etc., the Fit of course, and the Astra. I think the Astra could win IF pricing was better. They're still not selling at all and piling up, yet are the one Saturn with zero discounts either still.

And after just taking mom's Malibu out for a short store run...yep, I still want one. Last week when a dealer had LS's in the paper for $17,999 (well, it was partially a mistake, and they're now in the $18k's), it was a big hmm. There's a black granite & titanium 1LT sitting at the dealer here still...woo. Then as much as I love looking at it and driving it, I think I really want something more practical and with a hatch and a bit of height more.

Just don't know yet. Maybe once I start driving things. SO many to try.

Edited by caddycruiser

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i just took out an Aura XE 4 cylinder. nice car. 20k. were you thinking sedan at all? big savings on that over the sticker too i think.

Yeah, as much as I love mom's Malibu...the price on a base Aura, especially one with a few thousand on it, isn't bad. I've considered it from time to time. The cheaper not as well trimmed Malibu, basically, with a more Euro look.

Get a Malibu with a 6-speed.

Maybe a gently used first-year Charger? The first year ones came standard with the 3.5/5-speed even in SE trim. Of course it is bigger than the other cars you mentioned.

Yeah, who knows, like I said, up in the air 100%...the more I think about it and explore, the longer the list grows. If as currently thought, the only sticking point is not wanting to exceed a discounted/pre-down payment price of about $17.5k. That limits it quite a bit, at least with new, but there's still also a LOT of things.

Gas mileage as high as possible, quality, resale/value, style, features is about the order of requirements.

Get a Malibu with a 6-speed.

Maybe a gently used first-year Charger? The first year ones came standard with the 3.5/5-speed even in SE trim. Of course it is bigger than the other cars you mentioned.

year old chargers and magnums are great buys and new chargers are well discounted. the interior updates for 08 are nice. if RWD only is acceptable and you can stomach the looks of the charger its a screaming deal on a nice ride.

Yeah, who knows, like I said, up in the air 100%...the more I think about it and explore, the longer the list grows. If as currently thought, the only sticking point is not wanting to exceed a discounted/pre-down payment price of about $17.5k. That limits it quite a bit, at least with new, but there's still also a LOT of things.

Gas mileage as high as possible, quality, resale/value, style, features is about the order of requirements.

keep in mind larger cars have cheaper insurance. smaller cars may save some gas but cost more to insure. likewise, fords, dodges, etc are often cheaper to insure than japanese yuck.

i have seen new taurus and chargers as well as impalas drift dangerously close to that 17.5k range.

the aura i drove today new i am pretty sure you could get close to that number and THAT will get nice mpg. do malibus have the same discounts yet?

Today?

Back on the HHR, hah. Awesome look, hatch/wagon, Ecotec, GM toys inside, great prices, etc. Went on Autotrader to peak around at some lightly used '08s out of curiousity, and saw this brand new one (typical, but WOW, perfect color/trim for me theoretically):

7473688163.232803507.IM1.04.565x421_A.56

7473688164.232803507.IM1.05.565x421_A.56

7473688170.232803507.IM1.11.565x421_A.56

MSRP: $20,255

Sale Price: $16,990

At a dealer in NC, but that's just an example of what can be had anywhere...well, the price is a bit better than most, actually, but still. I think one of my favorite combos is just like this--a 1LT with the chrome package, and really not much else.

I wonder what the 2.2L vs. 2.4L are like in one of these. Also, there's special Shadow Edition ones for the spring that were painted Black Granite and came with the Sport Suspension and the originally G6 chrome wheels, for little extra. Cool look, and I like the pearl black...mostly.

C8556.jpg

C8556.02.jpg

C8556.03.jpg

At least these sure come in several color combos I like (to the extent it would be a challenge to decide on one), and especially a range of features and such to the liking.

Wonder what I'll really like tomorrow again :scratchchin:

Edited by caddycruiser

If I remember correctly from driving HHRs at the dealership (this was 2 years ago, though), the 2.2 is a bit of a dog in comparison to the 2.4.

That's what I've been wondering. I was really pleased with the 2.2L in my '07 Malibu rental--especially the 37+ highway mpg--but question it in the blockier HHR. The 2.4L definitely has more spunk, but also has a touch lower fuel mileage...which may be worth it. If I get around to actually testing things, I hope to do both back to back.

The 2007 Malibu you drove with the 2.2 was lighter wasn't it? More aerodynamic? Just some other thoughts thrown out there. I'd go with that sweet orange one, it is a sweet heart of a price. Is that a 2.2 or 2.4?

Exactly, which I'm keeping in mind--that last gen Malibu (and those cars in general) weren't heavy, and the aerodynamics helped. With the 2.2L, my '07 just zinged right along without a struggle ever.

That orange example is just a typical 2.2L 1LT--very common. The 2LT package includes the 2.4L among other things, or you can throw the 2.4L option alone on a 1LT for a little under $600. Reading forums, it seems like real owners--as expected--recommend driving all the combos you can, with both engines and both stick and auto, when trying to decide.

Still, one of many things, if and when the Cadillac sells. This thread continues to help me think of things, for sure :thumbsup:

Just try to get a GM car okay?

Hah :AH-HA_wink:

I somehow keep coming back to them after ideas outward...so not an unlikely thing. Still nailing down what I "want" for the dough.

Know what I was thinking yesterday? I love mom's Malibu, my rental too, and others, but the past couple of days I've really seen my liking for RWD with the Fleetwood, boat-like an all. Just like the balance. Not a must have--and can't be as next to nothing is anymore--but I was wishing there was a small Pontiac or something sedan, Ecotec and RWD. Remember the Kappa based sedan idea? Yeah, that...

And what did that lead me to? Used Solstice. 2006's and a few 2007's are now in the $16-18k asking price range, a lot with little use. That fulfills the RWD and Ecotec part, plus looks awesome...just too bad there's no space, etc. Then again, when you go small...therein comes that argument again "how much do you NEED for daily?". I just wondered if I could fit in one...well, I could, but the comfort factor. Well, and the convertible factor, too.

So, yeah, hah. Sunday=HHR. Monday=Solstice. Today? Not sure yet.

Edited by caddycruiser

You keep mentioning things like the balance of RWD, small and economical, fun to drive, good styling, with the option of a stick shift...

A Kappa is a no-brainer here.

I know. Thanks for pointing that out again :AH-HA_wink:

The issue here, of course, is size and practicality. Of course, 9 times out of 10, it's me an a small bag...but don't want to be claustrophobic or just REALLY lacking the ability to carry something if need be, like a box.

Well, that, and fuel mileage. An Ecotec, so not bad, but not equal to a typical FWD Ecotec vehicle either.

Don't know. Too bad there aren't other Kappas. I think I'll add a Solstice to my test drive list that I'm too busy to start checking off.

Sort of in the same boat here. I'm not getting rid of the SS, but near-future plans suggest I'll need something economical and cheap, and that I won't mind driving in less favorable weather conditions.

Here are some of my observations...

Astra 5 door: sold on looks and packaging, price is not bad after some GM discounts (recent grad etc.), can live with performance but mpg drops a lot after 65 mph

Cobalt coupe 1LT: looks good with sport appearance package (and gains some key features), good real world mpg, cheapest of my bunch, don't mind the interior

Mini: gets pricey with options, good mpg, requires premium

HHR: like a cooler version of a Cobalt wagon, mpg drops slightly but price rises a bit vs. Cobalt

Rabbit: can be had cheap, mpg is so so, can I really live with one after driving my brothers GTI(?)

Jetta TDI: normally wouldn't consider the Jetta but can't overlook TDI, awesome mpg, price difference between regular and diesel isn't that big anymore (about 50 cents) so can live with that, on the more expensive side of my list but would try to keep it longer (really wish we had a Rabbit TDI)

Top this off with recent news about a new small Chevy, and a possible early release of the new Camaro (I know I shouldn't even be considering it, but it's so hard to resist!) and my decisions just get harder!

I know. Thanks for pointing that out again :AH-HA_wink:

The issue here, of course, is size and practicality. Of course, 9 times out of 10, it's me an a small bag...but don't want to be claustrophobic or just REALLY lacking the ability to carry something if need be, like a box.

Well, that, and fuel mileage. An Ecotec, so not bad, but not equal to a typical FWD Ecotec vehicle either.

Don't know. Too bad there aren't other Kappas. I think I'll add a Solstice to my test drive list that I'm too busy to start checking off.

Another good reason to keep the Caddy...you have your sexy, small, modern, relatively fuel efficient Kappa for more days, and when you need to haul peopel or stuff you've got the Cadillac.

Call me crazy but what about a 3.5L V6 Impala LS or LT. They get decent fuel economy. Have plenty of room and have good giddy up. Also they can be had for like nothing now that the new Malibu is out. My brother got his loaded 2008 LTZ that was nearly 29K for 20 even.

Ok, I'll call you crazy. Where have you been? Don't you know the Impala is outdated, has a crappy push rod engine, big overhangs, hard plastic interior and 'old' detent-style steering wheel and (GASP!) can still be had with a column shift.

No, no, the Impala simply will not do. :nono:

:wink:

caddycruiser, just know now that the Solstice/SKY 2.4L Ecotec requires Premium fuel for performance. I know some SKY owners that ran mid-grade, but noticed the loss of performance with the engine. Just FYI.

And as far as comfort levels with a Kappa, they are liveable as daily drivers. When I had the SKY, getting in & out with the top up was the most difficult part (top down was a no brainer). I was able to go to Atlantic City with my small hard-cover suitcase in the passenger seat; the year before, my friend and I travelled down together (NJ Teachers Convention) in the SKY - we both had soft duffle bags with out clothes and still managed to put some convention materials in the trunk too. They ride a little harsh, but not too bad for the size of the car and how low to the ground you are. Interior room was good, my biggest gripe was being able to move around on long drives (sometimes I needed to stop just to stretch). Around town driving is fine. I'm 5'9" and 235 lbs, so depending on how you compare will depend on whether or not you too would be comfortable in a Kappa. One important thing that you should know is that you are a lot lower than most of the cars (forget about pickups & SUVs!) on the roads, so be prepared to look-up at even Corollas!

Good luck with the hunt. If I hit the lottery soon, I'll contact you about buying the Fleetwood! :AH-HA_wink:

Call me crazy but what about a 3.5L V6 Impala LS or LT. They get decent fuel economy. Have plenty of room and have good giddy up. Also they can be had for like nothing now that the new Malibu is out. My brother got his loaded 2008 LTZ that was nearly 29K for 20 even.

Yup, in this situation that's what I'd do... We got 35 on the Highway this spring and consistently get about 22-23 in town. Our Canadian-Spec LS with the Sport Package (Which makes it essentially an American LT1 Model with a few extra options) had 6500 Miles on it when we bought it and it was $18'500 (Expect to pay like 2-3 Grand less in the states), came with Alloys, Spoiler, Leather Wheel with Audio Controls, XM, OnStar, Split Folding Backseat, FlexFuel Engine. I can't think of a better bargain.

HHR all the way over the Fit or other small offerings just for the weight, safety, great styling, and for the winter traction that extra weight is going to afford you. I have a huge soft spot for those trucklets, I want one so bad as a commuter car to park the Tahoe I need for towing and work. Just not justified with the extra payment and insurance over the gas I am using to go to work and back. If gas hits $6.00 or more...then you will see an HHR SS in my driveway next to my Tahoe.

GM- IF you are reading this...maybe a Jet Stream Blue SS HHR with Gray interior???

Oh man, I'd rock that '93-'94 Cadillac F.B. Funeral Coach in a heartbeat! :)

Playing devil's advocate again, add the Miata (or MX-5, psssht, whatever Mazda) to your list. Its like a Kappa, only plausible as a daily driver.

Ok, I'll call you crazy. Where have you been? Don't you know the Impala is outdated, has a crappy push rod engine, big overhangs, hard plastic interior and 'old' detent-style steering wheel and (GASP!) can still be had with a column shift.

No, no, the Impala simply will not do. :nono:

:wink:

it would be nice if the impy had the HF v6 and a much better interior at least. GM not correcting that is pretty sad.

A friend of mine looking to downsize out of his Grand Prix test drove a Fit this weekend and fell in love with it. Said once he shifted it through the gears and took it through a few corners he was grinning ear to ear.

but will the fit survive spring potholes? I am wayyyyy skeptical

Too many leaks in the dike to plug, I'm afraid. The Impy is only in its 3rd year and will be totally replaced within 2 more. Since it came out, GM has introduced or revamped the Malibu, Silverado, Tahoe and HHR - that only from the Chev side! Some may not like the Impala, but considering the resources GM had to deal with and the almost total revamp to the entire 8 brand line up in the past 4 years, I'd say they did a good job. Let's save our venom for the next Impala. If it's not 'world class' then we can heap piles of scorn on the RenCen.

I will be the first in line, trust me.

HHR all the way over the Fit or other small offerings just for the weight, safety, great styling, and for the winter traction that extra weight is going to afford you. I have a huge soft spot for those trucklets, I want one so bad as a commuter car to park the Tahoe I need for towing and work. Just not justified with the extra payment and insurance over the gas I am using to go to work and back. If gas hits $6.00 or more...then you will see an HHR SS in my driveway next to my Tahoe.

GM- IF you are reading this...maybe a Jet Stream Blue SS HHR with Gray interior???

can a person get the HHR SS with leather or would one have to go katzkin? heated seats too?

can a person get the HHR SS with leather or would one have to go katzkin? heated seats too?

No, you can't--just the cloth'ish stuff, and the special seats. Same for the heat. Kind of like how the Malibu SS and such was a year or so ago.

Some developments, FINALLY!

First, to clear a few up. Impala. NEVER. Respectable for business fleets and Enterprise, but an antique W-body pleasant enough but a negative on the special scale, on every street corner, unimpressive rear space and comfort for the size, etc. No thanks.

That said, today I finally drove something AND sat in and tried out several things. Only at my favorite local GM store and with my favorite sales lady friend--one who not only gets my "car thing" but talks to me like I'm a fellow salesman--at lunchtime for some trials. She knew I might be coming around soon, as I said I may back in January while buying my mother's Malibu from her, and said she was expecting me. I just said I wanted to try out a few things, and was shopping in general, but not for specifics yet. I showed up and the first words were "Oh, do I have something for you. Come with me." She wouldn't tell me what, but I sort of knew, and over to the Chevy building we headed and "There..." was the Dark Gray and Brick/Black Malibu LTZ. Sure, and she was right, but of course slightly (okay, a lot) over the theoretical price range...but I had not given her any idea of that yet.

The Malibu chat continued and she kept smiling only to tell me tomorrow she'll have something even more perfect coming in, finally their last Malibus, two LTZ 4-cylinders they ordered--she knows my like of the Ecotec from buying mom's car. Apparently, too, she has a couple of people on a list to call who have been waiting to see and drive these--all of a sudden, compared to what I've seen in a few places, people are calling and coming in SPECIFICALLY aware of the LTZ-4 ("32 mpg" was quoted), and over the V6 now. As if I already didn't know I picked the perfect combo for mom with the 2.4L :AH-HA_wink: I was then invited down to essentially be the first to see and drive them, as I'm 2 minutes away, tomorrow--they were supposed to be dropped tonight. Boy, do I enjoy salespeople who know what's going on...and can even say more than the name of the products they sell :thumbsup:

Vibe

That said, I did bring up my general idea of price and that I was thinking hatch. She led me to the Vibes "What about something like this?" before I even said hatch yet, and that was awesome. They had 3, 2 new base'ish 2009's with hubcaps and very little, and 1 leftover 2008 that I thought was loaded...only to find out a shocker. I joked about it being a lonely little black sheep now, and she said "Yeah, the one with an upgraded stereo and sunroof...but no power windows or locks. It will be here for a while." Apparently--and I didn't notice this while browsing before--the sales manager ordered this last 2008 Vibe some time back, and did so quite nicely, in black with the upgraded wheels, ABS, Sun/Sound, etc. but forgot that power windows, locks, and keyless entry were actually still an option (dumb). Hence, this weird car. "Oh, we could give you a GREAT deal on this if you don't mind the windows or locks, hah."

black08vibe.jpg

gray09vibe.jpg

I tried the Vibes out and actually liked them. I liked the '08 quite a bit, both outside and in, and though the layout and size were great, especially the seating height and legroom. The '08 interior wasn't exactly high end, particularly the wobbly center armrest/console, but overall solid and nice looking. Then tried out the '09s and the interior is definitely a step up, but still cheaper, with a more modern look and layout--but the same kind of wobbly center armrest/console. The outside is fatter and blobbier--at least in base hubcap form--but again, she read my mind. "I think the GT would be right for you." Al-la, GMTruckGuy moment, hah.

Didn't drive either--wanted to, but not at the top of the list for today--but really did like the overall package, size, feel, seating, space, etc. If that black '08 wasn't weird with the lack of power features aside from roof, I'd be even more interested in it for the price.

Solstice

In the showroom, there lie the beautiful black Solstice GXP, in top down glory. I said I had to try it, as it was an interest, "if I fit". And boy do I. It's no SUV or typical sedan, but I slid right in and was immediately comfortable with the layout and especially the legroom and pedals. I got the "feeling" for sure, only to say "maybe a used one".

HHR

The one I've been chatting a lot about here and looking into daily--FINALLY did more than peak at one. They had two, a Dark Gray/Gray 1LT with roof, auto, and boards and the 16" hubcaps from the Malibu LS. Colors were perfect, options not bad, and a 2.2L so anxious to drive. They actually just sold the 2LT with a stick, to an older guy with the 0%. That became a topic of discussion, starting from her saying it was largely old people who looked at and bought HHR's there. Not everyone, but most. She said she's been trying to convince her daughter to get one to finally replace a raggedy Blazer. "For a small and efficient little car, you sit high enough and have nice SUV space, and a cool look." I agreed, and off we went.

First, it was a bit odd getting comfortable in the driver's seat as far as my foot on the pedals, but I got it right. Just like the other night I sat in it while unlocked on the lot. The 2.2L buzzed to life without any bad vibes or sounds, instantly like my Malibu rental of yore. Felt EXACTLY the same to me as far as response and in sound moving too. Not a road burner, but spunky for what it is, and moved the little wagon very well and without revving out a whole heck of a lot.

Steering was pleasant, smooth and easy, and overall this 1LT with the 16" wheels and base suspension did feel a bit soft. Wasn't a fast test drive, but absorbed things very well and silently, and only felt a bit soft to me. More so, it was the brake pedal I wasn't sure about. It stopped well, but the pedal was mushier than I was used to or expected. Not objectionable, but odd.

As far as that interior, I really like the styling and the layout (window switches included) and it's very solid, but yes, largely hard and shiny materials. But nice textures and layout that still make it nice for the price. Liked the seats as well, but also a touch soft at least in cloth form, but my butt liked them still after a bit of driving. I could see out well too, and the combination of that, the straight across entry/exit, and compactness made it a great fit (no pun intended) for me, post Fleetwood driving.

After this, I've determined that the 2.2L is fine, but I still want to try a 2.4L model. Just a bit more grunt but similar feel and economy would be great. That, and as far as suspension, I had no problems with the base ride, but am MUCH more inclined now to try a 2LT or Shadow Edition 1LT with the Sport suspension and larger 17" wheels to see how much they firm up a bit of the softness. Have a feeling they might be dead on. Could definitely see one of these working, but have to do more thinking on options and coloring for a full effect.

Others

Funny enough, right after leaving the dealer in the HHR with my sales lady, I saw an Astra coming--only the second I've seen, and a stunning white 3-door with the great 18" wheels. Very, very nice, and I loved the look on the road in white and with big wheels. I thought of it as a sign that I see such a beautiful one while test driving one of the first on my list.

While waiting inside for brochures, I wanted yet another VERY old guy come in and be shown the gray LTZ Malibu. Not the first, as last weekend, I saw 2 quite elderly people being shown the same car outside. What was interesting? The sales guy was trying to explain the interior, but the guy was just too preoccupied by the center shifter. "That's just wasted space to me, the console, and I don't like them. Doesn't it come with a bench and column shifter too?" Funny, becase another sales person here mentioned recently hearing the same thing. Oy, old people and their tastes. Thankfully, the repeated and very nice suggestion was "You can on the Lacrosse, let's go look at one" a few times.

So, I REALLY liked the HHR but would want a more ideal setup of course with one, and also really liked the Vibe. Definitely need to try an Astra too, after my vision of that white coupe on road. And the Malibu continues to draw me in. Sales lady extraordinaire knows as much...and would love to see me take an LTZ home with me. Oh would I. But at the same time, I'm now also really liking both of these little wagons for real dailies. Not the zest of a loaded 'Bu, but realistic prices and practical. Like Reg had said...an HHR SS might really get my gander. Well, if the price weren't a bit over my supposed line.

Back tomorrow I go for more looking, driving things, and getting mentally convinced "A Malibu LTZ is perfect...". Hah. Anyone want to donate to the "Derek needs a new Malibu LTZ fund"? Then again, I think I'd be as turned on by an HHR or Vibe with the right equipment...options and coloring make ALL the difference, even as with the 'Bu. And still to hit Honda, Mazda, etc. Again like the Astra, all of a sudden I saw 2 Mazda 5's in traffic yesterday, and was intrigued. And still am by the Fit, among others--even still the Smart, which I ALSO saw the first of today. It was like everything on my mental list was out and about in my view all of a sudden.

Edited by caddycruiser

Just get the HHR or Malibu. By the way the current Impala's aren't that bad.

To me they are. Not that they aren't pleasant looking or solid, but dull as could be, fleeted to death, mushy seats, a horrible back seat, etc. Nice old people car--no offense to anyone here with one, but this is ALL I see around here--but no thanks. If I'm going to spend that much, I want something with a little zing as far as looks, drive, features, etc.

As for the HHR or Malibu, agreed. But still need to look into the Honda (you know, the fragile little clown mobile one), some Mazdas, and other things.

We'll see. Hopefully today will be more drives and looking.

Edited by caddycruiser

If you want a 2.4 in the HHR, you'd better hurry. The 2.4 is gone for '09. The 2.2 is going upmarket with about a dozen more horsepower and more refinement added. Personally, I'd wait for the '09 HHR at this point. The improvements are nice. :AH-HA_wink:

If you want a 2.4 in the HHR, you'd better hurry. The 2.4 is gone for '09. The 2.2 is going upmarket with about a dozen more horsepower and more refinement added. Personally, I'd wait for the '09 HHR at this point. The improvements are nice. :AH-HA_wink:

Yeah. I at least want to drive one, including a 1LT with the 2.4L a dealer has, to see.

Funny thing is, the car discussion just came up at work again with me. "Have you thought of anything yet?" I mentioned the few things, and then my excursion yesterday. Of the 3 people, all turned their nose up at the HHR and said "No, you don't want that." "Not different enough." "Not original anymore." And, of course, then "Ooh, not a Chevy." Funny, but I said I liked it a lot and why I did. Too "in the box" for me, as I was told.

Then it was 15 minutes of, for someone who drives a standout Fleetwood daily, WHAT would be right for me. The group consisted of one with a brand new G6 GXP coupe (good opinion to listen to, I thought, of the 3), one with an older Explorer, and another with both a newer Explorer and an Expedition. G6 girl said why not another Cadillac, just newer. Other girl said Jeep. Guy threw out "Hey, a Magnum!", aside from my also want better mileage. Their agreements so far? Scion XB (guy threw that out, and all agreed after we Google'd pics) and then one said "Saab!", which shockingly was a good one. Too bad a lot are above where I'd spend, I think, except for used which the same person then said.

Fun discussion. Odd, but fun to get other's reactions and ideas. Hopefully will make it back to the GM dealer today and try some other things for fun.

Well, things change, hah. At work, so this will be brief. Drove a fresh Malibu LTZ 2.4L with 2 miles, played in a new Black Granite Impala 50th Anniversary and really liked it, and may have changed my mind on the "hatch" thing.

Even more shocking, I even changed my mind on the Impala thanks to the 50th Anniversary...an SS in looks and suspension but with the thrifty 3.5L, which all is quite hmm, in a good way. And from that...on with (what I had been thinking of for a long time), we briefly chatted on zero down leases and the like.

Really still no firm idea of what I might really want, but a worthwhile hour. I'll expand later.

I wish my wife liked the HHR. She can't get over the "retro" look. I try to tell her it's based off the '47-'53 Chevy Suburban, but that's like speaking greek to her and saying that a brand new car looks similar to one that is over 50 years old. :lol: I think it would work out perfectly, and I would be happier with it over the Vibe. However, she does not like it at all, so it's not even on a list to be off of it. Same for the Impala - she's never been a fan of it and feels it's too big of a car anyway. She still is talking about the '09 Vibe GT she drove over a week & a half ago!!!

We looked at the Ford Focus sedan and Nissan Sentra sedan on Sunday. She likes the Ford, is not impressed by the Nissan. I will say though that the Nissan has a better looking interior over the domestic small cars, and the materials look more upscale (looking through the Nissan's window, that is). I'm still not 100% happy having to go with a small car, but it is for her and the increase in fuel mileage will be a help to our finances. I just don't like knowing that we'll be paying for 5 years on a small car that will see a lot of highway mileage and not be a good re-sell down the road because of that fact.

I'm still pushing for a 2LT 4cyl '08 Malibu. I like the upgraded features & options that come in the 2LT package, but unfortunately it means spending more than $21k for a new vehicle (the ones I've located around me sticker around $25k). I think having the 4cyl engine will do wonders for the MPG gains my wife is looking for, and at the same time I'm paying for a car I can be happier with in the long run. If I find a nicely equippd 1LT Malibu, I may consider that model too.

I'm waiting until the week of June 30th to see what 4th of July incentives GM & Ford have before we committ to anything. The wife wants to get out of the gas-sucking Envoy ASAP, but I'm not gonna be happy unless I know I can take advantage of some good incentives. Either way, I think the '09 Vibe GT or '08 Focus SES sedan are the likely candidates to end up in our driveway, but I'm still rooting for the '08 2LT 4cyl Malibu in the meantime.

Derek, good luck with your search. It sounds like you're having a good time researching & testing the cars you like, and talking about your options with friends & co-workers.

I am glad to see you shopping with an open mind and heart. It sounds to me like you are having a lot of that 'left brain-right brain' tug of war, like I always do when I buy a car.

Like when I test drove a new '91 Grand Caravan and Previa, loved the Thunderbird SC, but bought a '91 Caprice wagon! :lol:

i drove an astra XR / stick today and will post thoughts on that later in the saturn subtopic but suffice it to say its a nice driving car! anyone who is hellbent on looking at small cars needs to investigate the astra. The cloth seats I think are cheap so think leather if you can. Although i admit the Aura 4 cyl vs. Astra debate wages hard. But for the purposes of this topic I would say for sure go try an Astra XR with handling pkg before you decide vs. all other small cars.

I think both of you should just get the new Malibu! I have driven one a 2LT with a 4 cylinder promised myself I would never own one, but loved it and thought it had great guts. When they put the six as an option on 1LT's and standard on 2LT's and LTZ's it will be a world-class powertrain and world-class design together. I drove an LTZ V6 and failed to see why I would spend the extra money and get worse fuel economy. Although that puppy had lots of kick. With the six speed auto the Malibu would be a no brainer. Also the 50th Anni Impalas are really nice and prolly have frick'en huge rebates, also would have tons of room and look good not as good as a Malibu but would be sweet with two tone leather in all.

Drive them all, including the Solstice.

It's the only way to know.

Exactly. Maybe more today, we'll see. It's great to have a friend in sales that I will ONLY go to, and not only knows the product, but knows what will be changing with it, what models and equipment is what, AND will spend as much time touring the lot with me and grabbing handfuls of keys to drive several things. And she's a lady, so even more respectful given what some might think :thumbsup:

I REALLY liked the Malibu 2.4L/6-speed combo, for sure, but still wouldn't be averse to an existing 4-speed one. Enjoyed the LTZ interior too, though it's a tossup between it and mom's 2LT with suede. It was kind of fun to drive something with 1 mile, too, just off the truck pre-prep. And from there, as much as I've been averse to the Impala and still largely am...that Black Granite 50th Anniversary car definitely changed my grasp a bit, as far as it was concerned. Amazing what the right colors, wheels, and equipment can do to a car. I only really looked at these 2 yesterday, and both clearly above my theoretical buy limit, that was where the play with leasing came in.

Did a comparo of 0 down 36/36 leases on each, as I was curious what such GM sedans could lease out for, and they weren't bad...but were high. Well, at least compared to what you can lease even more loaded Accords and such for. That said, I was tempted today to see what a G6 coupe (oddly, like them) and/or a Malibu 1LT for several thousand less might run. The idea of a few year, 0 down thing is quite attractive, as yeah there's no equity, etc., but if you'll always have a car payment anyway (trading before or the day when one is paid off, for instance), it can work out better.

Who knows. Lots still to try. And then today, even with the "boo" talk on the HHR, I started this morning thinking how much I really still liked them and could swing one of those right now for sure. Time to even go to the dark side with Honda, Mazda, VW, etc. if I ever make it to one.

That's another thing...I've been completely open to any brand (well, except for Chrysler...ugh), but realized yesterday how much of a help it is with GM to have such a great place a stone's throw away for service, sales, etc. Similar with Ford and such too. And, if and when I moved, not that there wouldn't be even more closer, but it's a consideration to think about.

We'll see. Stay tuned, hah.

I think both of you should just get the new Malibu! I have driven one a 2LT with a 4 cylinder promised myself I would never own one, but loved it and thought it had great guts. When they put the six as an option on 1LT's and standard on 2LT's and LTZ's it will be a world-class powertrain and world-class design together. I drove an LTZ V6 and failed to see why I would spend the extra money and get worse fuel economy. Although that puppy had lots of kick. With the six speed auto the Malibu would be a no brainer. Also the 50th Anni Impalas are really nice and prolly have frick'en huge rebates, also would have tons of room and look good not as good as a Malibu but would be sweet with two tone leather in all.

Yes...that's my review of all 3, in a pinch. The Ecotec in a 'Bu is just so "right", the 3.6L--no matter how great--just can come off as too much. And having driven a 6-speed Ecotec now too, really no question. Awesome package.

For the Impala, it's still an old'ish car and with that terrible back seat I always comment on, but I love it in 50th trim. $26-27k sticker, yes, but a lot of car for that dough. My best reaction yesterday is it has the look of an SS with an even better 2-tone interior...and then the wonderful sipping 3.5L underhood. Great combo.

Nothing really has that great of a deal package on it now, except for trucks, but I like others am curious what might change in the next couple of weeks. Boy do I wish I could get a $2k or such GM Card bonus now like we so luckily did in January with the 'Bu!

Exactly. Maybe more today, we'll see. It's great to have a friend in sales that I will ONLY go to, and not only knows the product, but knows what will be changing with it, what models and equipment is what, AND will spend as much time touring the lot with me and grabbing handfuls of keys to drive several things. And she's a lady, so even more respectful given what some might think :thumbsup:

I REALLY liked the Malibu 2.4L/6-speed combo, for sure, but still wouldn't be averse to an existing 4-speed one. Enjoyed the LTZ interior too, though it's a tossup between it and mom's 2LT with suede. It was kind of fun to drive something with 1 mile, too, just off the truck pre-prep. And from there, as much as I've been averse to the Impala and still largely am...that Black Granite 50th Anniversary car definitely changed my grasp a bit, as far as it was concerned. Amazing what the right colors, wheels, and equipment can do to a car. I only really looked at these 2 yesterday, and both clearly above my theoretical buy limit, that was where the play with leasing came in.

Did a comparo of 0 down 36/36 leases on each, as I was curious what such GM sedans could lease out for, and they weren't bad...but were high. Well, at least compared to what you can lease even more loaded Accords and such for. That said, I was tempted today to see what a G6 coupe (oddly, like them) and/or a Malibu 1LT for several thousand less might run. The idea of a few year, 0 down thing is quite attractive, as yeah there's no equity, etc., but if you'll always have a car payment anyway (trading before or the day when one is paid off, for instance), it can work out better.

Who knows. Lots still to try. And then today, even with the "boo" talk on the HHR, I started this morning thinking how much I really still liked them and could swing one of those right now for sure. Time to even go to the dark side with Honda, Mazda, VW, etc. if I ever make it to one.

That's another thing...I've been completely open to any brand (well, except for Chrysler...ugh), but realized yesterday how much of a help it is with GM to have such a great place a stone's throw away for service, sales, etc. Similar with Ford and such too. And, if and when I moved, not that there wouldn't be even more closer, but it's a consideration to think about.

We'll see. Stay tuned, hah.

Things must be quite different in your state. The Malibu leases for about $30-40 a month LESS than a similarly equipped Accord around here. When you are saying zero down, are you including all the 'hidden' fees and stuff? Honda advertises zero down leases here, too, but then want a couple grand up front once you whip out the credit card.