Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

GM may kill another brand , did anybody say Pontiac? Also delays GMT 900 replacements.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saturn shouldn't be killed, it's bad PR. I can see the headlines "GM's import fighter fails". Should be merged into Chevy and then changed to a model, as Geo's were. "Saturn by Chevrolet". Heck, they already converted Spring Hill to make Chevys, so why not?

How would you reconcile Traverse and Outlook? I think your idea has merit, but likely it's just me. Could GM 'give' Outlook to 'Yak? (ponty-Yak)

The Pontiac G8, the only Pontiac worth talking about, would do just fine as a Chevy.

I agree. There's no sense keeping the Pontiac division alive if all they're gonna be selling are the G8s and a couple of other gas miser models.

If I had the power to save GMNA from itself, this is what I would do:

1. Make Chevrolet the value leader brand in price and function. Give them small cars (GMDAT) (Delta II), midsize cars (ep II), one large car, all FWD and Chevy Trucks, I also would give them and entry level CUV (Theta). They will retain the Camaro, no matter what platform it rides on. All platforms able to run off more than one type of Fuel, which I do think is a Federal law by 2010.

2. Make Pontiac the Holden Special Vehicles (HSV) of North America. Allow Pontiac to take any platform within GMNA (including Alpha) and infuse it with Pontiac DNA with RWD being it's focus, however every now and then allow Pontiac to take a FWD platform and do the same thing. I would also give the Corvette to Pontiac, since outside of North America it is not sold at Chevy, it is a brand unto itself.

3. Kill the Saturn brand name and change it to Opel/Saab, sell GM's European brands in North America through this outlet. Using GME's technology and Green initiatives.

4. As for Buick, they would get a small FWD (Delta II) car and a new Kappa(RWD) in 2012, EP II midsize, a large RWD sedan and of course the Enclave (Lambda). All Buicks will be designed by GM Chinese engineers since Buick's largest market is/will be China, however the platforms will be the same in China and North America, there will be no differences between a Chinese or American Buick, no matter where they are assembled. GMC would also be sold in the same Buick outlets in North America.

5. Cadillac would simply be GM's world Luxury brand, with all platforms being RWD and sold wherever in the world, the market will support it.

6. I would also have GM acquire a Motorcycle division or build it from the ground up, with fuel prices going up this would be an ideal addition to GM now, Hmmm, what name to use Oldsmobile or perhaps just GM Cycles. These stores would be stand alone stores, much like Honda and BMW motorcycles are.

7. I would jettison Hummer and perhaps make an offer to Chrysler for Jeep to fill that void. Jeep has a better environmental cache than Hummer does.

Well there are my ideas, I guess you are all glad I'm not the CEO now!

I agree with all your suggestions EXCEPT #2. Giving the Corvette to Pontiac would be ridiculous, and replacing that famous Chevy bowtie with that really ugly Pontiac symbol would be laughable. Believe me, Corvette owners would be totally enraged if that happened, and rightly so.

that really ugly Pontiac symbol

What? The Pontiac "arrowhead" is a historic, classic, cherished brand logo... equivalent to Chevrolet's "bowtie," Oldsmobile's "rocket," Buick's "tri-shield," Cadillac's "crest," etc. Pontiac fans such as myself might say it represents performance, power, even sexiness!

I'm not big on the "sky is falling" threads, as has been witnessed before I'm sure...

Until Pontiac is confirmed gone I will choose to think of the situation as gossip. Not fact. Much like the axing of the Dodge Viper that never was, yet was reported here and thought of as "fact", I wait until I see actual proof.

I've always liked the Pontiac brand, it has something over the years that many automakers DON'T have, a performance heritage of 50 years and alot of unique stuff under it's belt.

That logo means alot to me. Don't say this around me or any other Pontiac fan on this forum which there are many. You... :censored: I have owned lots of GM cars and the extra bit of style and performance that Pontiac offers has always suited me well. I would have gotten a GP instead of the Impala had the ride not been so rough. Where did you come from? :pokeowned: The Pontiac arrow is a statement of performance, style and excitement. I have owned 5 Pontiac's and am proud to say it was on the hood of all of them. Newbs. :rolleyes:

Edited by gm4life

That logo means alot to me. Don't say this around me or any other Pontiac fan on this forum which there are many. You... :censored: I have owned lots of GM cars and the extra bit of style and performance that Pontiac offers has always suited me well. I would have gotten a GP instead of the Impala had the ride not been so rough. Where did you come from? :pokeowned: The Pontiac arrow is a statement of performance, style and excitement. I have owned 5 Pontiac's and am proud to say it was on the hood of all of them. Newbs. :rolleyes:

You quoted the wrong guy, but I'm sure we all know what you mean.

Dumb comment for sure IMO.

I agree with all your suggestions EXCEPT #2. Giving the Corvette to Pontiac would be ridiculous, and replacing that famous Chevy bowtie with that really ugly Pontiac symbol would be laughable. Believe me, Corvette owners would be totally enraged if that happened, and rightly so.

While I wouldn't be inclined to rebadge the Corvette as a Pontiac I sure wouldn't call a "Pontiac symbol" ugly. Pontiac Emblems have EARNED a certain status that I think you just might not know, or have an appreciation for, but your comment doesn't leave me with very high regards for your opinion......

Where did you come from? :pokeowned: The Pontiac arrow is a statement of performance, style and excitement. I have owned 5 Pontiac's and am proud to say it was on the hood of all of them. Newbs. :rolleyes:

Real Pontiac hoods have indian heads not arrows on the hood.

2617452100048942451OkfLwr_fs.jpg

Couldn't resist posting this one again