Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Is the General on the brink of bankruptcy?

Haven't read that article as yet, but I've one question: Where is Mr. Wagoner and what are his thoughts given the renewed urgency?

Question: Where is Mr. Wagoner? Answer: Let's hope not in the same place that Captain Smith was when the Titanic went down.

Question: And what are his thoughts given the renewed urgency? Answer: He should be thinking where did we (or I) go wrong?

GM rallied the market on Tuesday, so someone on "The Street" had to rain on their parade.

God forbid GM ever show signs of recovery. Some dip$h! analyst is always there the next day to slap them back down.

When I die I hope St. Peter sends someone other than an analyst to pass judgement on me, otherwise I'm literally toast.

GM rallied the market on Tuesday, so someone on "The Street" had to rain on their parade.

God forbid GM ever show signs of recovery. Some dip$h! analyst is always there the next day to slap them back down.

So... GM's complete lack of cash is just some figure pulled out of the air by "analysts" to complete their bloodthirsty quest to lose money on their own investments?

FOG, the economic situation isn't out to get GM. GM will just be collateral damage.

The numbers just aren't there. You can hate on analyists all you like but that won't change the numbers.

again, we're looking at a realignment on the magnitude of 1929 through the 30s. Look how many marques we lost then.

FOG, the economic situation isn't out to get GM. GM will just be collateral damage.

The numbers just aren't there. You can hate on analyists all you like but that won't change the numbers.

again, we're looking at a realignment on the magnitude of 1929 through the 30s. Look how many marques we lost then.

The analysts estimate based on how they or their companies can profit. That's all I'm saying. If that means GM must die, then they will force the market to devalue GM.

The analysts estimate based on how they or their companies can profit. That's all I'm saying. If that means GM must die, then they will force the market to devalue GM.

Well... yeah. The downgrade was from "buy" to "underperform". Looking at GM's financial position, I'd probably make that same call myself.

Still, there is a certain irony here. As my accountant always said about banks,"if you want a loan, first you have to prove you don't need it, then they will give it to you.' Profound to the point of painful. That's why Chrysler had to go to Congress in '80 to get a 'bailout:' they had a workable recovery plan but none of the banks would touch them, which was only accelerating their sales slide at a time when they needed all the loyalty they could get.

GM is facing the same problem - again. Three years ago we were hearing the bankruptcy talk, GM cut their workforce, did a lot of maneuvering and successfully warded off the Grim Reaper.

Suddenly, it's '05 again.

Wasn't it back in the 80s that Ford was going through a painful time and somehow pulled themselves out of it....mainly through product I believe.

Is it even possible for a company like GM to go bankrupt?.....It's not some little mom & pop business.

bankruptcy could be just what the general needs. It would get them out of all of the crappy contracts that they signed. Shareholders would lose their shirts, but in the long run the company could emerge lean, mean and WAY better off.

GM's bankruptcy will be around the corner for those writing with an agenda, and it will be impossible for those writing with a different agenda.

All domestic manufacturers will have to find a way to return to profitability or pay the price, and SPECULATION about one company or another won't help, but it will put smiles on the faces of those who have a vested interest in it all....

Wasn't it back in the 80s that Ford was going through a painful time and somehow pulled themselves out of it....mainly through product I believe.

Is it even possible for a company like GM to go bankrupt?.....It's not some little mom & pop business.

Yes, but the impact would be quite bad....

For Unions and Shareholders yes. Consumers might not notice at all. Choice could be down, but value might be higher.

That's that attitude that is sinking both our countries.

Wall Street is laying off. Rumors are flying about one of the two big banks in New York going down. Real estate in California is tanking. The Guvernator is having a hard time borrowing money for the richest state in the Union.

So who's laughing now? The coasts could gloat and cluck about the 'fly-over states' job flight, but who will have the last laugh? Who is going to be left who will have a job to buy that shiny new Lexus or BMW? Ask yourself that.....

Its not an attitude its a fact. GM would come out of BK better able to compete at the cost of union jobs and Shareholder money.

IDK... Wouldn't filing for Chapter11 raise a lot of questions about GM's ability to fulfill warranty claims in the future? And would't that fear/uncertainty be worse for GM in the long run?

Edited by ZL-1

IDK... Wouldn't filing for Chapter11 raise a lot of questions about GM's ability to fulfill warranty claims in the future? And wouldn't that fear/uncertainty be worse for GM in the long run?

As RW stated nearly 3 years ago: "No one buys cars from a bankrupt car company" (close paraphrase). Mr. Wagoner has more tricks up his sleeve I'm sure. I just hope he's artful about it.

IDK... Wouldn't filing for Chapter11 raise a lot of questions about GM's ability to fulfill warranty claims in the future? And would't that fear/uncertainty be worse for GM in the long run?

lots of variables. It would depend on what kind of concessions they could get from the unions and how they could spin the "Moving Forward" concept.