Pontiac Firebird Trans Am

Ehh, some parts of it I like, some are incongruous. I do not like the bigass rear spoiler, or the license plate block in the front bumper, or the wide wheel flare over the rear wheel, or the vent into the rear wheel. I am trying to figure out the donor car. Is it Datsun 350Z, or Aston Martin... or something... else entirely?

Probably because of the overall idea and size of the car, including the looks of the outside of the passenger compartment (the long door, the basic roof design) and the use of the name "Firebird," in my opinion it seems dated. To call something a "Firebird" (or any other strong GM heritage name) puts tremendous pressure on that vehicle; in this case, a "Firebird," in my eyes, had a very stylized image and emotional reach over a couple of generations. (Whereas an "Invicta," for example, didn't, perhaps because it didn't last too long, but long-time starved Buick fans will still applaud the use of something, anything, from Buick's past. Or maybe the new Camaro seems to work because Scott Settlemire and other devoted people have been allowed input.) Yes, I know the front end styling of what you've shown us is more modern and both updates and recalls past Firebird designs, but, to me, the name "Firebird" is so linked to a type of car and time period that, for better or worse, are gone. Start with a fresh sheet of paper, call the car something else, make it a hot Pontiac that'll outrun and outhandle anything you'd like, but don't handicap it with the name and history of "Firebird." I think "Solstice" is a good name for a Pontiac; maybe the Solstice could have been called "Firebird"; at least going to Kappa it wouldn't instantly cause a comparison to the Camaro. But this design... no, try something completely new and away from the size of a Camaro. If you have to use the name "Firebird," lock the designers and engineers in a room with the best examples of the car (a '67, a '74, whatever you choose), let them study it, and help them to find the essence, a modern interpretation rather than a continuation, of the car. It isn't easy, I'm sure.