Burgess: Lucerne Super, same as it ever was

wildcat

If he wanted everyone to put aside their stereotypes of Buick, why did he, in every chance he could, remind us how old the average Buick driver is--or as he perceives it, in their 80's (a decade for each porthole), or over 200 (for having signed the Declaration of Independence).

He liked it. Leave it at that. No need to constantly badger a car you thought was a great ride. The Lucerne Super shouldn't claim to be a sportscar--and I don't believe it does. It's a slightly athletic barge.

He did like it. There is alot of car to like there literally. It is a great car and drives similar to any other G-platform car which is pleasent and nice. It is like a velvet hammer with the quad-cam N* in there though. I would love that car or a DTS Performance.

Not as quiet, not as smooth, not as roomy, not as ergonomic

Handles better, V6 / 5sseed a more lively powertrain, faster, I don't know how tall or wide you are but neither of these cars feel cramped by any means, more electronic goodies, RWD with optional AWD, the only ergonmic hiccup I encountered was the cruise control, which was fixed in the MCE.

Both are nice, but my personal pick is the Chrysler.

Edited by Dodgefan

The Lucerne Super prolly get a sub-7 seconds scank to sixty no doubt. A Bonneville GXP with only 275hp did in 6.8. I don't think a 300 Touring with a 3.5/5spd combo would be any faster... But I agree a DTS or Lucerne on a cross country road trip would rock, smooth ride, plenty of pass power and more than enough balls to blow off most ricers in there Celica's and Civic's.

Edited by gm4life

The Lucerne Super prolly get a sub-7 seconds scank to sixty no doubt. A Bonneville GXP with only 275hp did in 6.8. I don't think a 300 Touring with a 3.5/5spd combo would be any faster... But I agree a DTS or Lucerne on a cross country road trip would rock, smooth ride, plenty of pass power and more than enough balls to blow off most ricers in there Celica's and Civic's.

Just to clarify, I'm comparing V6's not V8s.

From Motor Trend:

With the most potent engine and lowest curb weight (3776 pounds), it's only logical that the 300 Touring would motor off with acceleration honors when we finally hit the test track. The real surprise was that the Montego--heaviest and most challenged in the weight/horsepower area--took the measure of the Lucerne in virtually all the benchmark sprints. While the Chrysler's 7.6-second 0-to-60-mph time eclipsed the Mercury's 8.4-second best, the Buick needed 8.8 ticks to make that speed. Interestingly enough, the Lucerne bested the Merc from 0 to 50 mph, but at that point, the extra torque of its bigger engine could no longer counter the CVT's greater efficiency in exploiting the full potential of the Montego's smaller six. From there on, it was advantage Mercury. Another tangible benefit of the CVT could be seen in the Merc's 45-to-65-mph interval time: a Chrysler-matching 4.0 seconds against a 4.7-second best for the Buick. Formal stopping exercises proved equally eye-opening. While there was unresolved debate about which vehicle had the most consistent pedal feel, when the brake dust finally settled, it was the Montego's 127-foot 60-to-0 mark that stood ahead of the Chrysler's 134-foot effort and the Lucerne's 136-foot best.
Edited by Dodgefan

Handles better, V6 / 5sseed a more lively powertrain, faster, I don't know how tall or wide you are but neither of these cars feel cramped by any means, more electronic goodies, RWD with optional AWD, the only ergonmic hiccup I encountered was the cruise control, which was fixed in the MCE.

Both are nice, but my personal pick is the Chrysler.

I understand, I'm favoring ultimate comfort over all else.

I understand the 3.8 vs the 3.5 no contest the 3.5 in an LX could kill the 3.8 Lucerne now when the 3.9 comes out the it prolly will get a little bit closer. As for the N* vs the 3.5 the N* wins no doubt.

This thread is about the Super.

Mk, from a quick search:

Buick Lucerene Super 0-60 in 6.2 sec

Chrysler 300C 0-60 in 5.6 sec (although I just saw MT reports it as 5.8 sec)

Anyway, I like the interior colors scheme of the Super, it looks quite rich, and more upscale than the lower models.

2008.buick.lucerne.20215765-E.jpg

Edited by Dodgefan

I doubt the Super does 0-60 in 6.2 seconds, the 275 hp version was barely under 7 seconds, 16 hp isn't going to speed it up that much. The 1998 STS had the same engine and a little less weight and took 6.7 seconds 0-60. I'd bet on an Altima, Accord, Camry or Malibu V6 in a drag race over a Lucerne Super.

I doubt the Super does 0-60 in 6.2 seconds, the 275 hp version was barely under 7 seconds, 16 hp isn't going to speed it up that much. The 1998 STS had the same engine and a little less weight and took 6.7 seconds 0-60. I'd bet on an Altima, Accord, Camry or Malibu V6 in a drag race over a Lucerne Super.

We don't care. The Super is not about being the fastest. It never was and never will be. The Super gets you from point a to point b at a brisk pace silently, smoothly, and handsomely. Super's motto is, "It's not how fast you get there, but how good the going is."

No Super owner is going to be drag racing someone who feels inadequate in their Accord.

I might. :AH-HA_wink: Nothing like a large refined FWD GM barge with a N* in it, I love mine and it only has a 3800. SMK sometimes speed is not the only concern. I would blow 80% of the other cars of on the road while listening to Bach through my Bose audio system while setting atop Nuance heated and cooled leather seats while your stuck on cheap cloth in your Camry. 8) Oldsmobli and I have great tastes in cars. Bottom line.

I might. :AH-HA_wink: Nothing like a large refined FWD GM barge with a N* in it, I love mine and it only has a 3800. SMK sometimes speed is not the only concern. I would blow 80% of the other cars of on the road while listening to Bach through my Bose audio system while setting atop Nuance heated and cooled leather seats while your stuck on cheap cloth in your Camry. 8) Oldsmobli and I have great tastes in cars. Bottom line.

I have an Aurora 4.0, so I've had 5 years of listening to Bose and enjoying heated seats, rain sensing wipers, air leveling suspension, and the Northstar derived 4 liter V8. I've found that the Aurora handles better than the Seville or DTS, it isn't as floaty and weighs less. It shouldn't have much problem in beating a Buick in handling.

For $40,000, people that want a floaty ride, sound deadening and free AARP membership with purchase, can get a Lexus. They make a better Buick than Buick does.

• 1 month later...
For 2009 it appears that GM only offers the V-8 in the Super version. The CXL with the V-8 hit a very nice price point. what a shame that the V-8 is only available in a version that will be priced at over $40,000.00.

You can get a V8 CXL Special Edition.

For $40,000, people that want a floaty ride, sound deadening and free AARP membership with purchase, can get a Lexus. They make a better Buick than Buick does.

Here's the crux of the problem with cars like the Lucerne, Super, and DTS.

Even I can imagine enjoying a "traditional" big, luxurious, highway cruiser.....and in fact if given a choice over an STS or DTS, I'd most likely take a DTS (performance) for around the same money.

BUT....people like us are a HUGE minority.....and cars like the Lucerne and DTS (even in "Super" form) are about as far away as can be from the types of products Buick and Cadillac need to be offering in order to insure long-term sucess.

Edmunds' site for the 2009 Lucerne does not show a V-8 option for any of the Lucerne CXL configurations. That is why I am concerned. The Super looks a bit gaudy and is very expensive.

You're right, the 275hp version of the Northstar is gone for 2009. So, you get a choice: 227hp V6 or a 292hp V8.

People are going to have to cope. I mean, how many people who would spend the money for the V8 aim for a boulevard cruiser? The numbers are low... as are the numbers of Lucernes actually sold.

Edmunds' site for the 2009 Lucerne does not show a V-8 option for any of the Lucerne CXL configurations. That is why I am concerned. The Super looks a bit gaudy and is very expensive.

Yep... the 2009 GM Online Ordering Guide shows the 3.9l standard on all Lucerne trims except the SUPER.

The Lucerne SUPER is pricey, but is still less expensive than a Park Avenue Ultra:

2005 Park Avenue Base original MSRP $35,555

2005 Park Avenue Ultra original MSRP $40,730

2009 Lucerne CX original MSRP $28,415

2009 Lucerne CXL original MSRP $31,615

2009 Lucerne SUPER original MSRP $39,315

Yep... the 2009 GM Online Ordering Guide shows the 3.9l standard on all Lucerne trims except the SUPER.

The Lucerne SUPER is pricey, but is still less expensive than a Park Avenue Ultra:

2005 Park Avenue Base original MSRP $35,555

2005 Park Avenue Ultra original MSRP $40,730

2009 Lucerne CX original MSRP $28,415

2009 Lucerne CXL original MSRP $31,615

2009 Lucerne SUPER original MSRP $39,315

But there's no more Northstar 4.6L.

But there's no more Northstar 4.6L.

On page 9, the 4.6l is standard on the SUPER.

You're correct that it's no longer available on CXL trims, but that was my point. The SUPER is pricey, but it's still cheaper than the Ultra was. You're getting the 292hp 4.6l V8 for less money than you would have for the SC3800 V6 with 240hp in the Park Avenue Ultra.

A different way of looking at it - the torque isn't close, but the CX & CXL Lucernes are only 13hp short of the Park Avenue Ultra. That's not bad.

On page 9, the 4.6l is standard on the SUPER.

You're correct that it's no longer available on CXL trims, but that was my point. The SUPER is pricey, but it's still cheaper than the Ultra was. You're getting the 292hp 4.6l V8 for less money than you would have for the SC3800 V6 with 240hp in the Park Avenue Ultra.

A different way of looking at it - the torque isn't close, but the CX & CXL Lucernes are only 13hp short of the Park Avenue Ultra. That's not bad.

I miss my Ultra, but not its gray interior. I drove it for 2 years and it was doing fine when I sold it and went into this lease on the '06 Lacrosse. Now that the lease is winding down, I am looking into a Lucerne with the Northstar.

I was under the impression that the '09 Lucerne Super had the 5.3?

I miss my Ultra, but not its gray interior. I drove it for 2 years and it was doing fine when I sold it and went into this lease on the '06 Lacrosse. Now that the lease is winding down, I am looking into a Lucerne with the Northstar.

I was under the impression that the '09 Lucerne Super had the 5.3?

Nope. The 2009 Lucerne SUPER still has the 292hp 4.6l V8. The LaCrosse SUPER has the 5.3l V8.

Nope. The 2009 Lucerne SUPER still has the 292hp 4.6l V8. The LaCrosse SUPER has the 5.3l V8.

Well I would highly recommend a Lucerne to anyone who wants a great cruiser with nice power and enough of the comforts of home. I traded my 06 CXL for a G8 Gt but would not hesitate to go back to the Lucerne. Glad to here people on this forum who appreciate it for what it is not what it does not pretend to be. Those of you who constantly put down Buick and the Lucerne, get a life!!!!

• 1 month later...

The Lucerne is a good overall package and I can't wait to get my hands on a Super to test drive. I have driven all the other versions including base 06 CX 3800, CXL 07 3800, 07 CXS Northstar. The biggest two gripes I have with this car are the power draining 4 speed automatic and the hard plastic dash with harsher grains compared to my 00 LeSabre. The 3800 cars felt a tad slower than my LeSabre, not surprising considering the extra weight and 2.86:1 axle compared to my touring suspension LeSabre's 3.05:1 and the Northstar CXL didn't seem to have as much snap as I remember in older 01-02 Devilles but overall these are comfy, quiet, smooth riding larger sized cars that are everyday user friendly and offer more exterior pizzazz compared to the much plainer looking Lexus's and Toyota Avalons.

I have looked extensively at these cars and have decided to eventually buy either a new 2007 Lucerne CXL V-8 or a new 2007-2008 CXS.

The 2008 Lucerne "Special Edition" CXL V-8 looks odd with those exhausts directed out of some black part of the bottom of the rear bumper. This version is overstyled and I don't like it. I saw one in red, which I would normally have reacted very positively to. Instead, I looked at it long and critically and concluded that because of the additional styling touches, including the "Special Edition" plaque and all, it was a silly looking vehicle.

The 2008 Super looks gaudy, is expensive and as to fuel mileage, is EPA rated at below the 275 HP Northstar found in the CXL and CXS. Good luck to GM on getting rid of all these Supers that are now sitting around on dealer lots.

I liked the 2007 CXL V-8 because the styling is clean. It is not gaudy and junked up with nonsense additions. As an example, I looked at a white one that had the cocoa/cashmere interior combination and chrome wheels. I have never been a fan of white cars and at times have actually been an open detractor of them. However, after spending some time with this vehicle, I felt that it looked very clean and even sporty with the combination of chrome wheels and the light, warm color interior.

The '07-08 CXS are nice and I have driven two of them. Unfortunately, it is hard to find a dealer who will sell an '07 for a big enough discount to make it worthwhile. As to the '08's, they are plentiful in dark mocha brown. It was a big mistake for GM to have made so many cars in this color. On a cloudy day it looks grayish and very unappealing.

On October 15th, GMAC expanded their lease pull ahead to 4 months instead of 2, which makes an '08 now cheaper for me.

I haven't driven a new Buick in years. One of the things I liked about them was the soft suspension -- even slightly bouncy. Are the new ones still noticeably softer riding than, say, Camrys?

No... Even auto-mags have compared Camry's ride similar to current Buicks. I think the base LeSabre was the last Buick that carried a suspension that could be considered softer than the Camry. However, don't fret. If you liked the previous suspensions I'm sure you'll like the current generation of Buicks... There's less road noise. There's more road feel and steering predictability without any upset to ride comfort.

Can't speak for the Chinese-inspired Buicks yet... I'm waiting to find out myself.

• 3 weeks later...

My New Lucy! 2007 Buick Lucerne CXL V-8, light quartz metallic, cocoa shale interior, 5-passenger seating, sunroof.

Lured into showrooms in August by GM's Employee Pricing Scheme then in effect I thought I wanted a 2008 Lacrosse Super with a 5.3 liter V-8. I drove 3 of them at different dealers but did not really like them. Something did not seem right. The colors available were odd, red with a chocolate interior? I have never seen that. Touchhole brown? I don't think so. At one of the dealers (Schumacher Okeechobee, West Palm Beach, Florida) I noticed a 2007Lucerne CXL V-8, light quartz metallic with a titanium interior sad and lonely on their new car back lot. I drove it and decided to pursue one. Schumacher is a huge place that employs high pressure sales tactics with heavy duty psychological warfare and every trick in the book to pad the bottom line. The MSRP for their car was $32,800.00 and they were trying to pound me for $26,600.00, then $25,600.00. I went in there several times over a couple of months. Each time I told them I would go 30% off of MSRP but they acted like I descended from Mars and there was "no way" they could [translated: would] ever sell for that, blah blah blah.

I spoke to several other dealers here in Florida who had 2007's. Roger Dean Buick GMC in Fort Pierce had a 2007 Lucerne CXS in sharkskin but they were total jerks about it. The MSRP was $37K as I recall and the internet rep was just nasty. They wanted $30 grand and would not even negotiate. Meanwhile the car is sitting outside. I told them it is time for them to get reasonable and that it would start growing whiskers but apparently this had no effect on them. They are a disgusting dealer with a ratty facility.

I visited Lane Pontiac, Buick GMC in Melbourne, a very nice dealer with a personable lady internet rep. Their '07 CXL V-8 was white, with cocoa/cashmere interior, chrome grille and wheels, MSRP $33,100.00. They offered it to me for $24K and they would have been willing to reduce that probably to $23K but I hesitated because I have never owned a white car before.

I saw a 2007 CXS at Coggin Buick, Pontiac, GMC in Kissimmee but it had an odd color combination, sandstone with a black interior. That MSRP on that was $37K and they would have sold that one for $25K. I could not warm up to the color combination. This was a very nice dealer and their internet rep was a very nice young man, knowledgeable and personable.

The car I bought was MSRP $32,500 and the selling price was $21,700.00 plus tax and tag. This was a great deal. The car was delivered to the dealer in October 2006. I just got lucky because the planets all lined up and the dealer decided to let it go for a price I thought was reasonable. My GM card points basically took care of the tax and tag. The Perrine Buick, Pontiac, GMC, Hummer dealer in Cranbury, New Jersey has been in business since 1927 and after making this deal and going there I can see why. They have a lovely lady internet rep. who was straight up with me and helped me make this deal. the other folks there were consummate professionals. The car was exactly as described. We flew to Newark on Saturday and took a train to Princeton. The dealer sent somebody to pick us up at the train station and we did the paperwork and drove away.

We planned to drive to Hershey, Pennsylvania to see the Chocolate World. After entering Pennsylvania after driving for an hour we broke down, coasting into a turnpike rest stop. I saw transmission fluid hemorraging from the front. I called OnStar for assistance. It took a long time for a tow truck to come out, chiefly because there are only a few tow companies approved by the Turnpike Authority to do tows on the interstate. OnStar identified a local GM dealer and found us a hotel nearby. The car was towed to Lankford Buick, Pontiac, GMC in Conshohocken, Pennsylvania and we checked into a very nice Hampton Inn one mile away. Sunday we rented a car (ironically, an '09 Lucerne 3.9 V-6) and went to Chocolate World. On Monday morning I went to Lankford and they fixed the car very quickly. It turned out that the transmission cooler line had no clamp, an oversight at the factory. When the car got good and hot the line had just popped out. I was very satisfied with how OnStar handled this and the Lankford dealer was top notch. On Monday at around 10:30 A.M., we began driving to Florida from Pennsylvania. My wife and I took turns. The trip ended the next morning and was just over 1200 miles. The car performed flawlessly; it was powerful, quiet, and very comfortable and easy to drive. It also got around 25-26 MPG despite going at expressway speeds, 55-75 MPH. I think that despite breaking down we had a nice trip. OnStar was excellent and the dealer in Pennsylvania that did the repair was top notch.

post-1103-1226028635_thumb.jpg

post-1103-1226028660_thumb.jpg

post-1103-1226028679_thumb.jpg

post-1103-1226028703_thumb.jpg

post-1103-1226028728_thumb.jpg

post-1103-1226028748_thumb.jpg

Edited by rivieraranch

Sweet ride. Enjoy that puppy, and you have to love that Northstar! I just love listening to them at idle.

The exhaust note is one of the things that attracted me to this car in the first place. At idle it is there. My 1992 Cadillac did not have this kind of exhaust note. That had a 4.9 pushrod V-8. The sound of the Northstar at idle reminds me of a 1950's Cadillac, very opulent sounding and hinting at the power it posesses.

My New Lucy! 2007 Buick Lucerne CXL V-8, light quartz metallic, cocoa shale interior, 5-passenger seating, sunroof.

Lured into showrooms in August by GM's Employee Pricing Scheme then in effect I thought I wanted a 2008 Lacrosse Super with a 5.3 liter V-8. I drove 3 of them at different dealers but did not really like them. Something did not seem right. The colors available were odd, red with a chocolate interior? I have never seen that. Touchhole brown? I don't think so. At one of the dealers (Schumacher Okeechobee, West Palm Beach, Florida) I noticed a 2007Lucerne CXL V-8, light quartz metallic with a titanium interior sad and lonely on their new car back lot. I drove it and decided to pursue one. Schumacher is a huge place that employs high pressure sales tactics with heavy duty psychological warfare and every trick in the book to pad the bottom line. The MSRP for their car was $32,800.00 and they were trying to pound me for $26,600.00, then $25,600.00. I went in there several times over a couple of months. Each time I told them I would go 30% off of MSRP but they acted like I descended from Mars and there was "no way" they could [translated: would] ever sell for that, blah blah blah.

I spoke to several other dealers here in Florida who had 2007's. Roger Dean Buick GMC in Fort Pierce had a 2007 Lucerne CXS in sharkskin but they were total jerks about it. The MSRP was $37K as I recall and the internet rep was just nasty. They wanted $30 grand and would not even negotiate. Meanwhile the car is sitting outside. I told them it is time for them to get reasonable and that it would start growing whiskers but apparently this had no effect on them. They are a disgusting dealer with a ratty facility.

I visited Lane Pontiac, Buick GMC in Melbourne, a very nice dealer with a personable lady internet rep. Their '07 CXL V-8 was white, with cocoa/cashmere interior, chrome grille and wheels, MSRP $33,100.00. They offered it to me for $24K and they would have been willing to reduce that probably to $23K but I hesitated because I have never owned a white car before.

I saw a 2007 CXS at Coggin Buick, Pontiac, GMC in Kissimmee but it had an odd color combination, sandstone with a black interior. That MSRP on that was $37K and they would have sold that one for $25K. I could not warm up to the color combination. This was a very nice dealer and their internet rep was a very nice young man, knowledgeable and personable.

The car I bought was MSRP $32,500 and the selling price was $21,700.00 plus tax and tag. This was a great deal. The car was delivered to the dealer in October 2006. I just got lucky because the planets all lined up and the dealer decided to let it go for a price I thought was reasonable. My GM card points basically took care of the tax and tag. The Perrine Buick, Pontiac, GMC, Hummer dealer in Cranbury, New Jersey has been in business since 1927 and after making this deal and going there I can see why. They have a lovely lady internet rep. who was straight up with me and helped me make this deal. the other folks there were consummate professionals. The car was exactly as described. We flew to Newark on Saturday and took a train to Princeton. The dealer sent somebody to pick us up at the train station and we did the paperwork and drove away.

We planned to drive to Hershey, Pennsylvania to see the Chocolate World. After entering Pennsylvania after driving for an hour we broke down, coasting into a turnpike rest stop. I saw transmission fluid hemorraging from the front. I called OnStar for assistance. It took a long time for a tow truck to come out, chiefly because there are only a few tow companies approved by the Turnpike Authority to do tows on the interstate. OnStar identified a local GM dealer and found us a hotel nearby. The car was towed to Lankford Buick, Pontiac, GMC in Conshohocken, Pennsylvania and we checked into a very nice Hampton Inn one mile away. Sunday we rented a car (ironically, an '09 Lucerne 3.9 V-6) and went to Chocolate World. On Monday morning I went to Lankford and they fixed the car very quickly. It turned out that the transmission cooler line had no clamp, an oversight at the factory. When the car got good and hot the line had just popped out. I was very satisfied with how OnStar handled this and the Lankford dealer was top notch. On Monday at around 10:30 A.M., we began driving to Florida from Pennsylvania. My wife and I took turns. The trip ended the next morning and was just over 1200 miles. The car performed flawlessly; it was powerful, quiet, and very comfortable and easy to drive. It also got around 25-26 MPG despite going at expressway speeds, 55-75 MPH. I think that despite breaking down we had a nice trip. OnStar was excellent and the dealer in Pennsylvania that did the repair was top notch.

Congrats! Keep us posted... If I don't like the LaCrosse, a Super will more than likely be in my future! :)

Totally jealous! Congratulations - awesome Lucerne man!

PS - copy the address in your broken signature and then go into your control panel and delete it and put it in again as a new image. They changed the brackets they used. But I see the PA Ultra isn't your baby anymore.

Edited by Cananopie

The car I bought was MSRP $32,500 and the selling price was $21,700.00 plus tax and tag.

Ahh the problems of Buick summed up in one line. 30% off the sticker price. If they were challenging Lexus, or even Honda, they wouldn't have to price cut like that. The average transaction price on a Civic is $19,200, is a Lucerne V8 only $2500 better than a Civic?

Where are the fog lights on that Lucerne?

Ahh the problems of Buick summed up in one line. 30% off the sticker price. If they were challenging Lexus, or even Honda, they wouldn't have to price cut like that. The average transaction price on a Civic is $19,200, is a Lucerne V8 only $2500 better than a Civic?

Where are the fog lights on that Lucerne?

Incorrect comparison, since $21K is NOT the average transaction price for a Lucerne V-8.

And the one he bought was a leftover 2007 not a 2009.

Totally jealous! Congratulations - awesome Lucerne man!

PS - copy the address in your broken signature and then go into your control panel and delete it and put it in again as a new image. They changed the brackets they used. But I see the PA Ultra isn't your baby anymore.

Hey Ron, could you help me with make a new signature with the Park Avenue and the new Lucy? I want to take some better pictures of the new one.