Does your computer at home have Balls, or is it a Eunuch?

I'm currently in the process of saving up for a new desktop, so the one I have now is my 5 year old Compaq desktop (my faster, newer Dell laptop has been dead for 1/2 a year)

Compaq Presario (2004 model)

2.4 Ghz Celeron

512 MB RAM

160 GB hard drive (plus two 750 GB external hard drives that I put all my music and pictures on)

NVIDIA GeForce graphics card (not sure on the specifics)

1)

HP Compaq Presario laptop

Intel Pentium Dual Core 1.86Ghz

3.0GB of RAM

Windows XP Pro

(my general purpose home machine for surfing the web, tracking my finances, documents, etc)

2)

Apple Mac Book Pro laptop

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5Ghz

NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT

4.0GB of RAM

Mac OS X (which of course has pure UNIX goodness inside.. :)

(my professional machine for learning, writing code, development, consulting, etc)

I have 4 old desktops (2 with Linux) and an old Sun Sparc Ultra workstation back home in Denver, but rarely use them anymore..what with splitting my time between Denver and Phoenix and travel, I use only laptops now...

Edited by moltar

yeah I hope my computer has balls.

qx9450 quad core intel 2.66 oced to about 3.0

im ordering 8 gbs of ddr3 and 2 or 3 Geforce gtx 280s

right now its 2gbs of ddr3

8800 ultra

evga 790i

so it can handle solitare and mine sweeper

it sounds like my motto q has more processing power than some of your computers.... surfing the net in sprint speed right now.... on a smart phone. c and g isn't coded for smart phones well

I have four computers...

I most often use my... for everything personal...

Lenovo T61 14 inch laptop

2.1ghz Dual Core

2gb ram

XP Pro

100gb HD

cd burner, dvd read

(basic graphics card)

Adobe CS3 Creative Suite (paid out the a$$ for that)

Microsoft Office Enterprise Edition '07

I have a 1/2 Tera Maxtor One Touch IV I plug into tho... and my Epson Printer...

for work...

Mac Book (generation II)

2.0 ghz Dual Core

2gb ram

OSX 10.4

160gb HD

Microsoft Small Biz Edition '04

Adobe Creative Suite CS1

cd/dvd burner

128mb graphics card (good one not sure of brand)

home/family...

HP Pavillion a620n

2.4ghz Pentium 4 HT

160gb HD

XP Home

512mb Ram

basic graphics card

cd/dvd burner

Microsoft Office Home and Student '04

Photoshop Elements 4 and 6

(200gb Maxtor One Touch III hooked up)

hooked up to an HP PSC all in one

home/family/docking station...

Compaq Evo

1.8ghz Pentium 4

40gb HD

XP Home

768mb Ram

basic graphics card

Microsoft Office Enterprise Editon '07

Photoshop Elements 5

Adobe CS3 Creative Suite

Hooked up too a Nikon Coolscan Slide Scanner and Epson RX680 printer (I doc both my notebooks here too)

I have way to much computer stuff...

As for my digital cameras...

Pentax K-100D 6mpg

Pentax K-10D 10mpg

Sony Cybershot H-1 5mpg

and a bunch of 35mm lenes and other DA lenes for the Pentax camera's. I have other 35mm SLR bodies that I can't bare to part with. I have too much electronic crap and my son and I want a PS3 but the wife says no. Because will be hooked and then its still 400 bucks! :rolleyes::lol:

Edited by gm4life

Yay, another nerd thread, I love these. :]

AMD Phenom X3 8450 @ 3013mhz (287x10.5) 1.28v. 2000mhz HT/NB (stock 1800)

Gigabyte GA-MA770-DS3 "All-Solid Capacitor"

eVGA GeForce 8800GT Superclock (at stock now until I get the balls to flash the BIOS)

OCZ 2gb DDR2-1066 (running at 764mhz though because of a problem with my motherboard memory settings)

Seasonic S12-430 430 watt PSU

250GB & 160GB HDD's

Cooler Master C5, custom interior and HDD bays. full sound deadening and insulation

I have a laptop too, but it's just a college laptop and nothing special. I don't even know exactly what's in it. Compaq something, Turion CPU, 1GB ram, bleh.

I'm thinking about upgrading my computer's video card, I added a Blu Ray drive today.

might want to look at an ati card.. but i've not seen how the nvidia cards run blu ray. i just know that newer amd/ati laptops run bluray video beautifully and can do other things at the same time without making the video choppy. there are youtube vids of this, amd/ati vs intel.... but I know intel doesn't make even basic gaming cards, integrated or not.

ati's 46xx range should be coming out in the next 2 weeks,

nVIDIA + SLi = WIN

Though it's time for an upgrade, my comp is still pretty good.

• AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ Windsor 2.4GHz Socket AM2 89W Dual-Core Processor
  • CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) RAM
  • Foxconn FV-N795M4D2-OD GeForce 7950GX2 1GB 512-bit GDDR3
  • Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3320620AS 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
  • Foxconn C51XEM2AA- 8EKRS2H AM2 NVIDIA nForce 590 SLI MCP ATX AMD Motherboard
I also just bought:
  • ICY DOCK MB559US-1SMB 3.5" Mirror Black USB 2.0 & eSATA External Enclosure
  • Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
My girlfriend's computer, which is my old computer needs to be replaced, or at the very least upgraded. From memory...

• AMD Athlon XP 2700+ 2.2 GHZ Processor
  • ABIT KW7 Socket AMD 462 Motherboard
  • Asus nForce n6600 Video Card
  • 1 GB DDR Ram
  • Western Digital 200 GB HD
Edited by Dodgefan

might want to look at an ati card.. but i've not seen how the nvidia cards run blu ray. i just know that newer amd/ati laptops run bluray video beautifully and can do other things at the same time without making the video choppy. there are youtube vids of this, amd/ati vs intel.... but I know intel doesn't make even basic gaming cards, integrated or not.

ati's 46xx range should be coming out in the next 2 weeks,

AMD has the best integrated graphics at the moment, however for discrete graphics AMD and Nvidia are pretty much neck and neck.

nVIDIA + SLi = WIN

The new ATI 4XXX has the 280s slaughtered. :neenerneener:

+1 to seigen. I love these nerdy my threads.

Two Machines:

One is a dinosaur

Dell 8300

P4 HT 3.0

XP Pro

4GB DDR400

120 Maxtor

256 MB NVDIA GT7600

DVD + DVD RW

One is turning old

Dell Latitude D410

12" Screen

2.1 Centrino (can you believe it is actually faster than the P4 with more clock speed?)

2GB DDR2-533

80 GB 5400 HDD

Shared 256MB Video Card

The new ATI 4XXX has the 280s slaughtered. :neenerneener:

you mean the 4870X2... the ATI is the better deal, but they are close with more than one app.

I read supposedly Nvidia may be the first to 40nm. video cards are skipping the 45nm "node".

forgot to mention 2 raptor 10k rpm 150 gig drives in raid 0.

And i have a Server just chillin around dell poweredge 2500 twin 1.1 ghz P3 4 gigs of ram. Dual gigabit fibre outs. to two cisco switchs and a HP procurve router all in CAT 6 and fibre uplinks. it has 2 TB's total capicity in 15k rpm SCSI drives. Its a nice little toy to play with.... and learn with.

As ATI vs Nvidia goes well it pointless. Im a straight Nvidia guy but i have seen enough results and benchmarks to say that no program is the same for both cards. the 4870 will beat a single GTX 280 in some things but not others. However SLI is more stable than crossfire. the one good thing is competition means no more $700 cards. even cpus have before cheap.

• 3 weeks later...