Chevy Cobalt production boosted by overtime in Lordstown, Ohio

(Vindicator (Youngstown, OH) (KRT) Via Acquire Media NewsEdge)

Sep. 5--LORDSTOWN -- General Motors is asking its midnight shift workers at its Lordstown complex if they would come in for extra Saturday hours so it can pump out more cars to dealers.

"We're trying to work as much overtime as we can so we can satisfy demand," said Chris Lee, a GM spokesman.

The complex has overtime scheduled the next four Saturdays, although the number of shifts will vary.

Only two shifts had been scheduled for this Saturday, but GM has determined it needs to boost production further.

The plant produces about 500 cars a shift.

The added production stands to be welcomed by dealers that sell the Chevrolet Cobalt made at the plant.

U.S. sales of the Cobalt fell by 27 percent last month, but a local car dealer said that was because supply was low.

Barry Gonis, general manager of Spitzer Chevrolet in North Jackson, said he couldn't get enough cars to sell in August because of strong sales in previous months. He said he is carrying more than three times his normal inventory of Cobalts in September so he can meet customer demand.

Link: http://www.tmcnet.com/usubmit/-chevy-cobal.../05/3635811.htm

Yes, it's going to be FWD rental cars all the time in the GM's future, it looks like...the last 25 years repeats itself.. :(

If this pans out I will NEVER buy another new GM car after the F5 Camaro.

I can only hope that perhaps one of the GM executives, or what have you, who lurk around these forums and have read what I have just wrote and actually care enough about each individual customer to make sure that GM builds something for everyone, and not just Ma and Pa Kettle who have bought Toyota Camry after Toyota Camry year after year after year.

And if that said GM executive couldn't give a rat's ass, I'll wish him happiness as he stands out in the unemployment line.

You may be buying your last GM car then. I talked with a GM engeneer who had his car down here at a car show in Columbus. He actually worked on previous Camaro/firebird development, as well as the C5, C6, Solstice, and Sky. He implied that GM was going to come out with a cool replacement for the Sky/Solstice, that Corvette production would continue, and that GM saw little need to develop the whole Camaro/firebird/RWD thing after the current generation.

He said that Hybrids and fuel efficient cars were going to be the whole wave of the future for GM. Sadly, I think Camry wanna be's are GM's (unfortunate) future.

Come to Columbus, I'll buy you a few beers and we can weep over the future together like a couple fo school girls, but...cars like the Cobalt and Volt are GM's future.

Chris

You may be buying your last GM car then. I talked with a GM engeneer who had his car down here at a car show in Columbus. He actually worked on previous Camaro/firebird development, as well as the C5, C6, Solstice, and Sky. He implied that GM was going to come out with a cool replacement for the Sky/Solstice, that Corvette production would continue, and that GM saw little need to develop the whole Camaro/firebird/RWD thing after the current generation.

He said that Hybrids and fuel efficient cars were going to be the whole wave of the future for GM. Sadly, I think Camry wanna be's are GM's (unfortunate) future.

Come to Columbus, I'll buy you a few beers and we can weep over the future together like a couple fo school girls, but...cars like the Cobalt and Volt are GM's future.

Chris

Oh invite me to that little gathering, I'll bring my cam. :smilewide:

Chris

True...

Bu I have t think GM will throw in some fun somewhere in that line up.....

True...

Bu I have t think GM will throw in some fun somewhere in that line up.....

I would think so...unless they are following the Toyota philosophy of no. fun. ever. All serious FWD generics. All the time. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I became a big fan of the Cobalt after we rented an '05 LT sedan for two weeks during our vacation to Alaska in June of '05. I was really impressed with the car--good zip, quiet ride, decent fuel economy, nice handling and an attractive, comfortable interior. My wife really liked the car too, and she normally doesn't like "small" cars.

So starting last summer, we began kinda sorta looking for Cobalt sedans on dealers lots, new or used--and they were darned hard to find. The salespeople said that they were tough to come by. We found a used '06 LT sedan with 21K miles on it, but then we came upon the '07 Malibu Maxx LT w/ 13K miles that we are driving now (though it has just passed the 27K miles mark).

Anyhoo, I found myself lamenting the fact that Cobalts weren't more readily available--and that they weren't being "pushed" more. Chevy has a great compact going here and it's a shame more people don't know about it.