GM Increasing Hummer H3, Colorado, Canyon Producti

Guest Josh

Company Increasing Production of Hummer H3 SUV, Chevy Colorado and GMC Canyon Pickups
Third Shift In Plant’s Paint Department To Begin During Q1 2006

PONTIAC, Mich. – General Motors today announced it will invest approximately $20 million by early 2006 at its Shreveport, Louisiana truck assembly plant to increase production of the HUMMER H3 SUV, Chevy Colorado and GMC Canyon midsize pickups. To prepare for the increased output, the Shreveport plant will add a third production shift to its paint department during the first quarter of 2006.

H3, the new mid-size HUMMER, continues to drive record sales for the division and broaden its appeal from a niche brand to a wider audience. HUMMER is helping GM attract a younger, more-affluent customer base. The average age of a HUMMER owner is 44. About 70 percent of vehicles traded in by H3 buyers are non-GM models. HUMMER sales in October were up 129 percent compared to year-ago levels. Chevy Colorado sales were up 17.6 percent on a calendar year-to-date basis (January – October) compared to the period last year, while GMC Canyon sales have increased 42.6 percent.

In the last five years, GM has invested more than $20 billion in its U.S. operations. GM’s total recent investments in Shreveport for production of the HUMMER H3, Chevy Colorado and GMC Canyon top more than $1 billion.

Shreveport Assembly has built trucks since 1981, beginning with the Chevy S-10. Shreveport Assembly employs about 3,200 employees.

General Motors Corp. (NYSE: GM), the world’s largest automaker, has been the global industry sales leader since 1931. Founded in 1908, GM today employs about 325,000 people around the world. It has manufacturing operations in 32 countries and its vehicles are sold in 200 countries. In 2004, GM sold nearly 9 million cars and trucks globally, up 4 percent and the second-highest total in the company’s history. GM’s global headquarters are at the GM Renaissance Center in Detroit. More information on GM can be found at www.gm.com.

not to flame, but the only one of the three that sells is the Hummer... unless GM made a Humer Pickup off of that name, I think we have a problem... The Colorodo isn't very popular, at least at my dealership it isnt... its too expensive too... unless ur getting a single cab you might as well get a silverado...

Agreed. The midsize GM trucks are right on the money for size and they have the right powertrain for these uncertain times concerning gas prices. A diesel engine option and more differentiation between Chevy and GMC would only increase their appeal. Other "small" trucks have gotten too big, and like I've said before... what's the point of having trucks in two sizes if there isn't enough of a noticeable difference?

Agreed.  The midsize GM trucks are right on the money for size and they have the right powertrain for these uncertain times concerning gas prices.  A diesel engine option and more differentiation between Chevy and GMC would only increase their appeal.  Other "small" trucks have gotten too big, and like I've said before... what's the point of having trucks in two sizes if there isn't enough of a noticeable difference?

[post="38223"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

lol i'm still waiting for a delta mini truck... off of the HHR body style...

but with prices starting at 15,9 but realistically trying to find a 4banger... they start at 17k... those trucks are so expensive... if they were to start around 13k they would steal the market... if you can get a base silverado for 19k...

if u could get a I4 170hp for 13k, and a I5 220hp for 15, and the trailblazers 291hp I6 for 17-18k on a single cab... those trucks would seriously take the market by storm...

but they also need better gas mileage... for the motor to be class leading and still only 19-24... i think we need to see 21-28 or so, and then i'd be impressed...

lol i'm still waiting for a delta mini truck... off of the HHR body style...

but with prices starting at 15,9 but realistically trying to find a 4banger... they start at 17k... those trucks are so expensive... if they were to start around 13k they would steal the market... if you can get a base silverado for 19k...

if u could get a I4 170hp for 13k, and a I5 220hp for 15, and the trailblazers 291hp I6 for 17-18k on a single cab... those trucks would seriously take the market by storm...

but they also need better gas mileage... for the motor to be class leading and still only 19-24... i think we need to see 21-28 or so, and then i'd be impressed...

[post="38233"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

A mini truck would be an industry first and I think would be a HOT niche market! That would stab the stake (that the HHR started) further into the heart of the UGLY Scion Bx and the Honda Element!

A mini truck would be an industry first and I think would be a HOT niche market! That would stab the stake (that the HHR started) further into the heart of the UGLY Scion Bx and the Honda Element!

[post="38295"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I also would like this idea. I don't want or need even a Colorado type vehicle as a truck. I would take something even lighter duty. I want a truck, but something that gets better mileage than a Colorado and is smaller. If anything, just to make it a little easier to throw a few things in the back, nothing heavy though.

Well, untill they get as new upgraded interior I will not be replacing my Sonoma with a Canyon. I hate the cheap plastic on the doors and dash and the seats reek of 1983 Camaro. If it was still 1983 that would be fine but not in 2005.

mshu, i wrote an entire article proposing a new el camino. as a canyon owner, i would be the first to trade in for one. theres really no need for a delta micro-truck. thats traditionally been the el camino market niche, and a 4-banger front drive mini-truck bearing the el camino badge will sell like snow in russia. as for the making the 355 twins better? absolutely start them at 13 grand. bring the interiors to level with the h3. rumor has it that the h3 is going to get a small diesel and v8 come 2008, so those three things would essentially give the trucks everything they need to run the market.

The 2006 Holden Rodeo (I think Colorado is based on the same platform) is about to arrive with the HF 3.6. We have not been told what the power output is yet (Do dealers all over the world share this problem?) but I believe it will be somewhere around 235hp. This engine should also give pretty good fuel economy. Why does GM USA stick with the I5 when it has the HF V6 that is supposed to be in everything? Torque maybe?

Putting a V8 in these pickups would be counterproductive and would make them redundant... you'd have the price, power and gas mileage of a Silverado... without the room. Stupid.

Upgrading the interior is fine with me, maybe even slapping a turbo on the I-5, but the whole point of having a smaller truck is to improve operating efficiency over a full-size.

Anyone who dismisses the I-5 for the sole reason of cylinder count hasn't driven the truck.

Don't forget the I5 is being bumped up to 3.7 L. Along with other upgrades that should increase power to be competitive with Nissan's 4.0 L V6, and more than Toyota's. The diesel is waiting for a reasonable NOx solution, currently a urea additive which the EPA doesn't think people will bother topping up (frequency would be similar to an oil change). H3 and Colorado models built in South Africa and Thailand don't have to worry, but will probably get a more powerful version of the current 3.0 L. A V8 SS model for the Colorado and a V8 H3 Alpha will come, probably with DOD to keep fuel economy low.

Putting a V8 in these pickups would be counterproductive and would make them redundant... you'd have the price, power and gas mileage of a Silverado... without the room.  Stupid.

Upgrading the interior is fine with me, maybe even slapping a turbo on the I-5, but the whole point of having a smaller truck is to improve operating efficiency over a full-size.

Anyone who dismisses the I-5 for the sole reason of cylinder count hasn't driven the truck.

[post="38506"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I've driven it, and I dismiss the I-5 because it's rough, noisy, and sluggish....5-cylinders or not....

Putting a V8 in these pickups would be counterproductive and would make them redundant... you'd have the price, power and gas mileage of a Silverado... without the room.  Stupid.

[post="38506"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I've driven the truck, and I think the I-5 is fine....

It just depends on what you need it for....

My wife is one of the biggest haters of American cars. In her mind - GM/Ford/Chrysler = crap. We were driving home a few nights ago, and were passed by a red H3. She poked me and said "I WANT one of those. They're soo cool". The H3 is changing people's perception of GM product. -RBB

O.C., I bought my Colorado in January of '04, so it's an early one. My problems have been minor, and my fuel mileage is averaging 4 mpg better than the old 4.3 in my last S-10, a '98 ZR2. This Colorado is better made than any of the 5 S-10s I've owned, all brand new.

I don't agree with your assessment of the 3.5L I-5.

It seems to me the market agrees with me. The trucks are selling well, last I've seen.

My wife is one of the biggest haters of American cars.  In her mind - GM/Ford/Chrysler = crap.

We were driving home a few nights ago, and were passed by a red H3.  She poked me and said "I WANT one of those.  They're soo cool".

The H3 is changing people's perception of GM product.

-RBB

[post="38700"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

My mom likes the H2 though she said she'd never own one. She isn't very fond of the H3. She's usually a Toyota gal but she likes the new G6 coupe ("neat looking") and Impala ("classy").

http://www.popularmechanics.com/automotive...ts/1674631.html

Could this be the future of the Colorado? A beefier combination of the H3 and the Colorado with a V-8 engine? Let's only hope.

GM will have to reduce the price of this truck to take over the market share in this class of trucks. Why pay the same for a mid-size when you can get a full size?

GM is definately moving in the correct direction.

GM will have to reduce the price of this truck to take over the market share in this class of trucks. Why pay the same for a mid-size when you can get a full size?

[post="38759"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Don't expect to be able to get a full-size GM truck for compact-truck prices for much longer. GM will cut production in order to increase margins when the GMT 901/902 arrive in '07. The GMT 800's are in run-out and you won't see these prices in future.

Don't expect to be able to get a full-size GM truck for compact-truck prices for much longer. GM will cut production in order to increase margins when the GMT 901/902 arrive in '07. The GMT 800's are in run-out and you won't see these prices in future.

[post="38768"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

If GM is smart, they won't rise prices..much...

Agreed.  The midsize GM trucks are right on the money for size and they have the right powertrain for these uncertain times concerning gas prices.  A diesel engine option and more differentiation between Chevy and GMC would only increase their appeal.  Other "small" trucks have gotten too big, and like I've said before... what's the point of having trucks in two sizes if there isn't enough of a noticeable difference?

[post="38223"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I agree, unfortunately the word around the shop (GM) is that the next gen GMT 360's (mid size SUV's) will be bigger and drop the ext version-goodbye OK plant. I can't imagine how anyone will tell the difference between an 07 Tahoe and an 07 Trailblazer...especially as the front end of the new Tahoe is closer than ever to the current Trailblazer. I guess we'll have to see if the 355's (pickups) follow the same path. BTW I don't mean to use the ()'s to insult your knowedge of GM, it's for viewers who might not be formiliar...

The 2006 Holden Rodeo (I think Colorado is based on the same platform) is about to arrive with the HF 3.6.

We have not been told what the power output is yet (Do dealers all over the world share this problem?) but I believe it will be somewhere around 235hp. This engine should also give pretty good fuel economy.

Why does GM USA stick with the I5 when it has the HF V6 that is supposed to be in everything? Torque maybe?

[post="38420"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Not, sure ... maybe too expensive. But the inlines were designed specifically for trucks. I've also heard the inlines ( atleast the I-6 which is of the same family as the I-4 and I-5) may get DOD in 07. I don't believe the high feature V-6's have that. Now the new 3.9 with VVT and DOD?....240 horse without SC (like the 3800)?
That might just work, especially for those who think an I-5 is wierd- like the old timers...

Don't forget the I5 is being bumped up to 3.7 L. Along with other upgrades that should increase power to be competitive with Nissan's 4.0 L V6, and more than Toyota's. The diesel is waiting for a reasonable NOx solution, currently a urea additive which the EPA doesn't think people will bother topping up (frequency would be similar to an oil change). H3 and Colorado models built in South Africa and Thailand don't have to worry, but will probably get a more powerful version of the current 3.0 L. A V8 SS model for the Colorado and a V8 H3 Alpha will come, probably with DOD to keep fuel economy low.

[post="38537"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

They must bump it to a 3.7 if they plan to use it as a base for the next gen GMT 900 pickups. But I saw somewhere an obscure artical about the possibilty of a 4.6l V6 as a base engine for the next gen pickups. A chopped 6.0? like the 4.3 off the 5.7? If anyone else has heard of this 4.6 and has a link please send.... :CG_all:

If all the rumors on different engine families are true then I can see some of GM's current cash problems. How many entirely different engine ranges does one (think global on this one) manufacturer need? Toyota manage to get away with different versions of the same family of engines around the globe. Maybe this gives a hint as to why they can manufacture vehicles with a bigger margin then GM.

If all the rumors on different engine families are true then I can see some of GM's current cash problems.

How many entirely different engine ranges does one (think global on this one) manufacturer need?

Toyota manage to get away with different versions of the same family of engines around the globe. Maybe this gives a hint as to why they can manufacture vehicles with a bigger margin then GM.

[post="40188"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

GM has esssentially only a hanful of "different" engines. Think "Engine Family". Small block v8/(4.3 v6 built on the same old line as the 350 side by side for yrs.), Big block v8, Ecotech (just different displacements but mostly same parts) 60 degree pushrod family (3.5, 3.9 which replace 3.1, 3.4) high feature v6 Family (caddie 2.8, 3.6) NorthStar, and Atlas Family (I4,I5,I6) 4 and 5 built on same assembly line at Tonawanda, and soon 5 and 6 built on same line at Flint. And I believe all the Vette Engines are built on the same line in St. Cathrines as the small block truck engines and impalla and mony v8's. Only odd ball left is 3800....maybe they will bore and stroke that to replace the 4.3 as it is a 90 degree v6 (which btw was also a chop of the old 60's buick "Wild Cat" engine) So making a replacement for the 4.3 may not reqire alot of $, just go with bigger 3800, or chop one of the new V8's. I count 6 differen't engine families...........not that many when you consider 8 GM brands....Uh Oh...7 forgot about duramax....this is USA only that I'm refering to.

O.C., I bought my Colorado in January of '04, so it's an early one.  My problems have been minor, and my fuel mileage is averaging 4 mpg better than the old 4.3 in my last S-10, a '98 ZR2.  This Colorado is better made than any of the 5 S-10s I've owned, all brand new.

I don't agree with your assessment of the 3.5L I-5.

It seems to me the market agrees with me.  The trucks are selling well, last I've seen.

[post="38710"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I have no doubt the Colorado is a better vehicle than the S-10....it's a MUCH newer design. And I'm glad you are happy with it.

However, engine alone doesn't dictate one's success in the marketplace. If Colorado is the best selling small pickup, then the numbers don't lie. ('Course I wonder what impact GM's massive incentives have had on Colorado's sales bragging rights....?)

That doesn't change the fact that the I-5 is uncompetitive IMHO in terms of power, smoothness, and NVH (compared to its V6 competition......Tacoma, Frontier, and even Ridgeline if you want to throw the Honda in.) Even the 4.0L OHC V6 in the Ranger has a much torquier feel.....and even THAT engine is smoother and quieter at least from my drives.

I'll tell you I don't see NEAR as many of those here in California as I do Frontier and Tacoma....which tend to be the popular choice in this part of the country.