What is the dumbest automotive arguement you have ever heard?

Got into an arguement (okay, spirited discussion) with an Idiot about imported cars at a Pizza resteraunt the other night that made me spit my pepperoni about half way across the room.

Clueless guy wanted to argue that the Corvette was an import because Zora Arkus Duntov wasn't a natural born American...

What is the dumbest thing you have ever heard in a discussion about cars?

Chris

I was talking to another B-59 owner on the phone. He stated his car had the extremely rare factory prototype dual-quad set-up on it. Buick didn't offer 2x4s until '64. 'Ah; you installed a '64-65 set-up?'

'No- it's '59 but extremely extremely rare.' {already dismissing this misinformation...} 'They only made 4200 sets.'

How the hell is 4200 even remotely close to "rare", not to mention still being within 100 miles of being "factory prototype" equipment ????

I was talking to another B-59 owner on the phone. He stated his car had the extremely rare factory prototype dual-quad set-up on it. Buick didn't offer 2x4s until '64. 'Ah; you installed a '64-65 set-up?'

'No- it's '59 but extremely extremely rare.' {already dismissing this misinformation...} 'They only made 4200 sets.'

How the hell is 4200 even remotely close to "rare", not to mention still being within 100 miles of being "factory prototype" equipment ????

This reminds me of when I still had my '96 Riviera: I went to the local car wash to vacuum it out one day and an older guy that worked there complimented me on it, then proceeded me to tell me about how one of his friends back in high school used to have "one of the ones with a pointed back" (the '71-'73 boattail, obviously), and everybody used to give them the strangest looks because of all the big, smoky FRONT WHEEL DRIVE burnouts they used to do in the car.

I politely reminded him that the Riviera wasn't offered with FWD until 1979, but he swore up and down that him and his buddies roasted front tires on a boattail Riv at every red light.

Right. You must've had the one they plopped on a Toronado frame by mistake. Idiot.

I remember about 15 years ago being at a car show in Ohio with my brother and my folks and talking w/ a kid with a clean '77 Cougar XR-7. He swore up and down that it was the first year of the Cougar.. until my Dad pointed out his '68 XR-7 and '67 Dan Gurney Special parked across the way..

Got into an arguement (okay, spirited discussion) with an Idiot about imported cars at a Pizza resteraunt the other night that made me spit my pepperoni about half way across the room.

Clueless guy wanted to argue that the Corvette was an import because Zora Arkus Duntov wasn't a natural born American...

What is the dumbest thing you have ever heard in a discussion about cars?

Chris

so by his rhetoric i guess the rx-8 could be a german import... hmmm

This was a long time ago but I had a disagreement with a car salesman over a used Merkur xr4ti. He was telling me how great it was in snow because of it had front wheel drive. I told him it was rear wheel drive. We kept going back and forth until I ended up on the ground offering to show him the driveshaft but he would have nothing of it and ended up walking away.