Solstice Production Boosted; Saab Kappa Considered

GM Rushes to Meet Huge Demand for Solstice
Date Posted 11-03-2005

PONTIAC, Michigan — General Motors said it will hike production of the 2006 Pontiac Solstice by adding a third shift at its plant in Wilmington, Delaware. At least two sister cars are going into production next year at the Wilmington plant, and a fourth could be added in 2007, company sources told Inside Line.

Even though deliveries to customers started just three months ago, Pontiac dealers can't keep up with demand for the Solstice, one of the few bright spots at GM. Pontiac has received more than 15,000 orders for the car, even though it had planned to build only 20,000 units in the first year.

GM will add production of the all-new 2007 Saturn Sky early next year at Wilmington. A version of the Sky appeared at the SEMA show in Vegas this past week. The Sky shares most of its chassis and powertrain components with the Solstice but gets unique sheet metal.

The Sky, in turn, will spawn a companion model for Opel in mid-2006. The European variant may be christened Opel GT. Vauxhall is also expected to get a version of the same car, rebadged as the Lightning. The Opel GT is expected to break cover next spring at the Geneva show.

GM also is considering production of yet another variant off the rear-drive Kappa platform — a two-seater for Saab that could revive the Sonnet name. The car reportedly has not been approved for production, but insiders say it would likely share the 200-hp supercharged 2.0-liter I-4 that is being developed for the high-performance Solstice GXP that's anticipated in 2007.

What this means to you: The early runaway success of the Pontiac Solstice has persuaded GM to boost production and add more sister vehicles to the mix.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=107865

Ehh, I don't really like the idea of a Saab version. Saab already has the 9-3 convertible and it sells like crap, so why would they do a roadster? If anything, they should shoehorn the 3.6L HF V6 in there and make it a Cadillac.

I agree.. time for GM to put the SLK, Z4, and TT in their place...

Why do these morons insist on calling it supercharged only making 100hp? Stupid media.

It's 250hp+ and is from a TURBOCHARGED 2.0l engine.

[post="38783"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Great news. I didnt think GM would be stupid enough to just use the 205 hp SC 2.0. Who would pay more, to barely beat the base mx-5, just to be outdone by the Mazdaspeed version?
I'm still hoping GM has the guts to use the 325hp turbo ecotec for the GXP, but I'd be happy with 250+

Now if they introduced a small sedan and coupe on the same platform, they would have the same great issue. PLEASE GM, PAY ATTENTION - Gas prices are high, people are looking at smaller cars. Give us a high performance rear wheel drive sedan, coupe and wagon like BMW for Pontiac.

Now if they introduced a small sedan and coupe on the same platform, they would have the same great issue.

[post="38878"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Kappa is not flexible enough for a sedan and coupe. GM's financial condition is too weak to develop a brand new small RWD platform.

I think and AWD Saab version would be great, but I am worried about playing out Kappa... Rex Raider did a BEAUTIFUL Saab Sonnet chop a couple of years ago based off the 9-X. Despite being panned by the media the Solstice is still a BIG hit. (Although with news of this they'll be sure to try harder) See GM, this is what happens when you ALLOW passionate design in your vehicles and when you SWEAT the details...

Save the 325 hp ecotec for cadillac and make it standard, Caddy styling and interior. Roadsters for all! Seriously, would this be a bad scenario? Though I don't know if Saab really needs one, more importantly they need a new 9-5 and 9-3 and more cars and trucks, with drop dead gorgeous Saab distinctive styling.

I've been suggesting a Kappa Cadillac for months and you've all ignored me  :P  :P  :P  :P
A mini-XLR would really put the hurt on the Z4, TT, and SLK.

It would make this family a two Cadillac family.

[post="39044"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Yep, they should have one. No Ecotec, though. And they must fit some rollover protection. Wonder if a metal folding top would work...

Yep, they should have one. No Ecotec, though. And they must fit some rollover protection. Wonder if a metal folding top would work...

[post="39050"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

2.8HF standard
3.6HF for the V-series
and the 3800 s/c for the Super V-series <just kidding>

With as tight as that engine compartment is, I doubt they could put a turbocharged HF in there.

the 2.8 and 3.6 are supposed to get direct injection and thusly a HP boost right? This would be a great place to debut that.

2.8HF standard
3.6HF for the V-series
and the 3800 s/c for the Super V-series <just kidding>

With as tight as that engine compartment is, I doubt they could put a turbocharged HF in there.

the 2.8 and 3.6 are supposed to get direct injection and thusly a HP boost right?  This would be a great place to debut that.

[post="39057"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Hmm, how about an LS6 for the CLR-V(?)? We know it fits.