Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mustang84

Salt, sand, de-icer, or all of the above?

19 posts in this topic

What does your city / town / state use to clear the roads of snow?

My state was all about salt until about 5 years ago when they began to switch to a combination of de-icer chemical and sand. It doesn't do as good of a job of clearing the roads (usually results in a slushy mess that eventually melts away when temps warm), but the combination is supposedly less harmful to vehicle paint than salt. I'm not sure how much I believe that though, because the rocker panels of my '94 Lumina have rusted far faster than my previous '90 Lumina that was mostly exposed to salt.

Nothing. I think that, below 1,500 feet or so, none of the northern CA cities are even equipped to deal with snow/ice.

In Dubuque 84 we still use salt and that chemical $h! they spray on before it snows. Actually I just got a new Troy Bilt Storm 2410 179cc stage-two snow thrower, and I love it. BRING ON THE SNOW. :D

Every year in New England, more salt is applied to the roads than there is in all the oceans combined.

Seriously.

I don't know where they even find as much as they do.

Mag chloride in the Denver area, IIRC. Nothing in Phoenix... :)

Nothing in Phoenix... :)

And with that "smiley," I see that this makes you happy!

You ain't kidding.

And with that "smiley," I see that this makes you happy!

You ain't kidding.

The winters are great..... the summers horrific. The area is kind of dull, at least compared to Denver..

My condolences go out to all of you who have to deal with snow on a daily basis.

Salt...

And too cold to wash the cars....

Ditto ... on both accounts... :(.

Cort | 35swm | "Mr Monte Carlo"."Mr Road Trip" | pig valve.pacemaker ...Chitown #2 = 07/25/09

WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"Rockies are calling, Denver snow falling" ... Steve Wariner/Alabama ... 'Tennessee Christmas'

Sand clogged the sewers so Indianapolis switched to salt years ago. I think they use a de-icer now, too. There's only so much you can do, though.

Obviously LA uses nothing.

salt / winter means cars are no fun.

when i was a kid and teen etc. cars were fun.

paying to drive cars these days and having to do so in all this snow and salt and cold and not being able to drive a fun car because of it = almost think about saying f@#k it and getting rid of the cars and living in a shack in timbuktu. ups will deliver anything right?

i would love a GXP g8. can i ever aspire to one? no. i can't afford a play car and its of no use in the winter, which seems to be half a year around here.

same reason why camaros etc. won't make my buy list. until i am filthy rich, which won't ever happen.

Salt. Bleh.<_< Edited by ocnblu

Mostly salt but once in the while you may see sand and you see more sand in the northern part of the state.

The winters are great..... the summers horrific. The area is kind of dull, at least compared to Denver..

I think I would resonate better with PHX than DEN...Phoenix seems more free-wheeling and West Coast like....kind of a low-priced OC in mentality, or much like the "Inland Empire." I tend to dislike any place with a "cultish" mountain sports / outdoorsy / Western / bohemian vibe, so Denver (and the fact that I can sense Boulder is nearby) has never had much "pull" for me, though it is indeed a nice area, particularly in the newer suburbs.

If I ever left the West, it would be for the warm-weather Southeastern states. For some crazy reason, I can do a miserable and humid 90 before I can do a scorching 105.

In the snowy areas of California, it's a mixture of about 80% sand and 20% salt or deicer.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0