Have you ever tried

Not really, I'm a packrat. But I WILL say that as of late, I've been looking at all my stuff, seeing what I really want and would like to have more of, and am looking to get some of the less desirable stuff out of here, and using the proceeds to get more of what I really like.

Not really, I'm a packrat. But I WILL say that as of late, I've been looking at all my stuff, seeing what I really want and would like to have more of, and am looking to get some of the less desirable stuff out of here, and using the proceeds to get more of what I really like.

I've done much the same, so I have a house and barn full of stuff now.

I'm thinking that dumping it would be a form of freedom.

As it is, the stuff sort of traps me here in two buildings that I don't own.

The thought of ever having to move it all (especially on short notice) is a bit terrifying.

I still have stuff in one of the bedrooms down at the farm, stacks of 1970's & '80's car magazines and other books, etc., with no place to keep it here. Maybe I should bite the bullet, go gather it all up, and try and sell them all @ Carlisle or some such venue.

I've done much the same, so I have a house and barn full of stuff now.

I'm thinking that dumping it would be a form of freedom.

As it is, the stuff sort of traps me here in two buildings that I don't own.

The thought of ever having to move it all (especially on short notice) is a bit terrifying.

An easier thing than making a list of stuff you don't need might be making a list of stuff you do need

I can think of a few things I can get rid of though, now that you mention it. And a couple projects I need to get going on. Any idea how I can convince the girl to let me keep one of my antique snowmobiles on display in the living room after it's restored :lol:

I'm definitely not a stuff guy. I periodically go through and toss things that I haven't used in a while or don't really need. I do allow myself to keep a few things for potential future use like woodworking magzines that have plans for furniture I'd like to try and build someday. But, other than that I don't like to get attached to things. That is the only reason I don't still have my 1990 Buick Reatta. That was a tough decision to get rid of it. I really did like that car and I do miss it from time to time but I needed a truck and I couldn't justify two vehicles.

See, I'm a neat freak, so you come into my place and everything is where it should be. But then I moved in August. HOLY CRAP... where did all that come from?!

I tend to be anal about storing things. I only have one junk drawer in my kitchen that's a wreck. The rest of my place is always kept tip-top.

I usually go through my place once or twice a year and "clean house". I find things that I realize I haven't used for years and won't have need for, and give away or throw out.

Ted Kaczynski was another minimalist mountain man, living in a hand-built shack without electricity or running water for years while 'crafting his trade'.

I am fascinated to some degree about this sort of mindset, but will never be able to embrace it.

-- -- -- -- --

I suppose I must proclaim myself a pack rat, tho I stress that it's relatively orderly and I can navigate it all very well. The basement holds a lot of stuff, so does the house garage (2 bays) and my shop (4 bays). The house itself (both inside & out) is completely presentable. I toss some stuff, sell other, make minor headway in organization and then wham!; I get my hooks into another pile of stuff that follows me home. I have this vague intention to dispose of it all at around age 60- donating & selling, but I find a frightening fascination and yes..... admiration for the Collyer Bros., and I wonder if someday the authorites will be forced to enter thru a 3rd floor window looking for me....

...to see how little "stuff" you could have?

I'm wondering just how far I could take the concept.

Like a Canteen, GPS, MRE's, Rifle, Pistol, and some shells for 4 months at a time? Been there done that not fun. But pay was good...

When Mom and I moved last year I got rid of a lot of old stuff or even left stuff behind. The City said it was ok if we left stuff behind since the house was being destroyed anyway.