Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Blake Noble

Worst Car Showcase: Part II

86 posts in this topic

I do respect you for overseeing a plant that many that cars made, though. I can't imagine how stressful it could have been at times.

I imagine just a little like the movie 'Gung Ho', with fake Jersey accents rather than Japanese.

Hey.

How many folks would remember you PCS?

Did you leave on good terms?

Your plant management knows me well, even Dolan knows me to speak to, and he was in OKC at that time. All your senior engineers know me along with the plants EDS senior staff ...

I always leave on good terms, burning bridges is not my thang ... :smilewide:

First, I did not oversee that plant, I was an Opel employee assigned to that plant to help with the upcoming LS series which was based off the Opel Vectra, with time my role expanded greatly.

Perhaps you need to know about the subject matter before you start to write about it. Is that not the first rule of journalism?

Well, I'm not out to write your biography PCS. :P

That was my impression, though. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Your plant management knows me well, even Dolan knows me to speak to, and he was in OKC at that time. All your senior engineers know me along with the plants EDS senior staff ...

I always leave on good terms, burning bridges is not my thang ... :smilewide:

Does the name Fred Schmidt ring any bells?

He is a Trenton, NJ engineer that went to Wilmington on contract.

He was my bi-laminate exterior product guru and nothing short of a genius in my estimation.

As my tenure at Wilmington was relatively short I didn't attend any of the 'mixers' nor did I socialize all that much.

Wilmington's on a wing n' a prayer right now but they've got Vice President Biden in their corner.

Although a lot of good that did Chrysler's Newark plant.

>>"...you need to know about the subject matter before you start to write about it. Is that not the first rule of journalism?"<<

Not in the last 20 years or so; no.

>>"I'm so, so sorry GM isn't perfect and has sold a few less-than-optimal cars in its day. Heaven forbid we ever talk about it here."<<

Ye-eeaahhh... that's what I am all right: a raving, blind loyalist who continually brags on GM's lifelong perfection. Nice summation, new here? :rolleyes:

Did I use any of those words in my post? No. Do not put words in my mouth; after that snide little gem of a post, I steadfastly maintain that you do need to take a chill pill.

If I remember correctly, Cimmaron was foisted upon Cadillac in response to CAFE standards to balance out the rest of the line. I read that it was originally going to be X-Body based but ended up being what it was because it was the newer car, which didn't lead to them being able to differentiate it much in such a short time. I drove one once and hated it, but then again I hated the 190 as well, since it came out with an engine that had about 100hp and wasn't exactly lighting the tires at stoplights- but then again nothing was. As a matter of fact the 190 was looked down on by people who owned W124 and W126 models as cheapening the brand.

The difference was the Mercedes spent millions making the thing work well, and later more putting a decent engine in it. Cadillac tried, but the car wasn't great to begin with. But yes, at the time it Cimmaron was looked at as a pretty decent little car.

I had a very good experience with my '94 Chevy Corsica, which I bought in '99 with about 150k miles on it, and drove it for another 30k miles, when the trans gave out because I knew nothing about maintaining auto trannies. It was comfortable, good power (3100 engine), and I would have bought another one. Is it the best car out there? Very doubtful, but it's far from a terrible product from my experience.

Hmmm... so far, the Vega and Cimarron were fair targets. Not so sure about the Chevrolet L-cars, though. I'll wait to see how you spin it.

I'm with Ocn on this one.

The L-cars were painfully boring, but were decent transportation pieces. They were not junk-by-design like the J-cars.

The L-cars were ok, but GM needed better than ok to keep the Accord and Camry from taking off. The Corsica was made too long, if the '97 Malibu had come out a few years sooner, GM might have been able to keep some sales in the segment.

Fine. I won't write anything about the L-Body cars.

Edited by YellowJacket894

Fine. I won't write anything about the L-Body cars.

Good choice ... The Wilmington plant calls them the L Cars, just so you know ...

Good choice ... The Wilmington plant calls them the L Cars, just so you know ...

Its been 13 years, I think the Wilmington plant can let go.

This is asinine.

The Corsica/Beretta sucked guys, get over it. Then again, when you consider that they replaced the god awful Citation, I guess they do look like a f@#king Rolls Royce in comparison.

How about the X body? :P

I'm sure someone on these forums would have a complaint with it, since, you know, the Citation and Corsica were related cars. Quite related in fact.

And I'll show some sort of proof for that, so I don't look like a &#036;h&#33;-for-brains hillbilly to some people on these forums.

The Corsica was designed as a 4-door version of the Chevrolet Beretta, but it is actually shorter than the Beretta by a few inches. Its powertrain and chassis are descendants of those of the Chevrolet Citation.
link

[...] The original name of the Corsica was the Citation III back in 1986 [...]
link

Calling one an L-Body isn't incorrect either. Show me that it's an incorrect term for two of the most mediocre cars Chevrolet produced and I'll happily eat my words.

You know what's WAY worse and more disturbing than the 1980s C!marron?

The 2009 Cadillac BLS.

Or as I like to call it, Saabillac BulLShit.

Tht was then, it was the 1980s and FWD was all the rage.

Snow tire technology was nowhere near today's quality,

traction control & ABS were just being birthed.

BUT in modern day, post transverse mounted No*, FWD STS

and ETC, in the era of the 300C, gen.5 Camaro & Challeger,

when the CTS-V is a car most mortals would choose over a

BW or Mercedes in a "blind taste test" on the 'Ring...

there's NO EXCUSE for FWD, grotesquely proportioned & ugly

as hell to boot Cadillacs. NONE.

If you ask ME the C!marron is actually charming 27 years

later, and I guarantee the mere promotional shot of a BLS

in two or three decades will still make me want to puke.

The BLS makes the Catera look like a Audi S4 or BMW M3

by comparison.

The Cimarron was a product of the late-70s/early 80s gas crisis. It was obviously put together quickly without a whole lot of resources.

Exactly.

Oh, and for the record, I've seen BOTH J-bodies & Corsica/Berettas with

over a quater-of-a-million miles. a friend' sister had over 288,000 miles

on a mostly original late '80s Beretta and the only reason why it did not

go past 300K is because the kid se sold the car to beat the $hit out of it

drag racing some Ricer on the highway.

FYI: it was a relatively rare 2.8 V6 w/ a 5-speed.

YAWN ...

Yeah, let's just drop the whole subject. I made my point.

You did? News to me ...

:rolleyes:

What a pity. How long did things go on around here without you (or your "persona," rather?) trying to stir things up with me? Its like you love to fight with me.

Well guess what? I'm not playing along this time.

Don't reply to this, thanks. You won't get any further response from me.

:rolleyes:

What a pity. How long did things go on around here without you (or your "persona," rather?) trying to stir things up with me? Its like you love to fight with me.

Well guess what? I'm not playing along this time.

Don't reply to this, thanks. You won't get any further response from me.

That statement is illogical, I don't even know you ...

The BLS is Cimarron, part II. What a dreadful repeat of history it is. It manages to bastardize SAAB and Cadillac, all in one boring little package.

First, I did not oversee that plant, I was an Opel employee assigned to that plant to help with the upcoming LS series which was based off the Opel Vectra, with time my role expanded greatly.

Perhaps you need to know about the subject matter before you start to write about it. Is that not the first rule of journalism?

How quick to clear that up. Good job, thanks. Would not want people to get the wrong idea of you. :scratchchin:

Yes, they soon let you order lunch as well as bring coffee? Maybe the newspaper? :sneeze: :wink:

Does the name Fred Schmidt ring any bells?

He is a Trenton, NJ engineer that went to Wilmington on contract.

He was my bi-laminate exterior product guru and nothing short of a genius in my estimation.

As my tenure at Wilmington was relatively short I didn't attend any of the 'mixers' nor did I socialize all that much.

Wilmington's on a wing n' a prayer right now but they've got Vice President Biden in their corner.

Although a lot of good that did Chrysler's Newark plant.

Oh my how he zipped up. <_< Perhaps his dyslogistic response and pejorative posting to a lackluster article as part of his persona?

My thoughts were summed up earlier in the page.

It's part of the past and admittedly a direction that in hindsight was perhaps misguided.

Let the car die already. Seems as if no penance is great enough.

Edited by FloydHendershot

How quick to clear that up. Good job, thanks. Would not want people to get the wrong idea of you. :scratchchin:

Yes, they soon let you order lunch as well as bring coffee? Maybe the newspaper? :sneeze: :wink:

Oh my how he zipped up. <_< Perhaps his dyslogistic response and pejorative posting to a lackluster article as part of his persona?

My thoughts were summed up earlier in the page.

It's part of the past and admittedly a direction that in hindsight was perhaps misguided.

Let the car die already. Seems as if no penance is great enough.

Well I could unzip for you if that's what you need ... :smilewide:

I don't comment on GM employees lower than a plant manager, as there are privacy laws. Plant managers and above are a matter of public record, and within the public domain. Have a nice day ... :P

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0