Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Blake Noble

Rage, Hate, and the Need To Vent

113 posts in this topic

Have you ever owned a vehicle that you were just about to the point of actually paying someone to take it off your hands?

That's the relationship I have with my truck.

I hate the uncomfortable seats; I hate the depressing gray on gray on gray on gray on gray on gray interior; I hate the unconnected handling; I hate the mushy ride. I especially hate the performance; I'm beginning to hate the styling; I hate the clunky gearbox; I hate the lack of interior space; I hate the color that's impossible to keep clean. It broke down on me going to work one morning early this month and I honestly couldn't care less to try and have whatever is wrong with it fixed. It's past due for an oil change, but I don't want shell out the fifteen bucks for a jug of Pennzoil to have it taken care of; I hate the thought of spending any money on even basic maintenance for this piece of $h!. The front passenger side suspension either needs new ball joints or even a new shock, but again, I'd rather rip my own teeth out than buy anything for my Sonoma. And there is always something breaking on it. Last month, I very reluctantly spent fifty bucks to replace the driver's side mirror because I didn't want to get a ticket.

I would feel guilty for even selling it to someone for the three grand its worth. I don't think there is any crime that would warrant someone having the misfortune of driving this rolling hunk of scrap metal. It's actually almost better walking. And I haven't found a car lot yet that seriously wants to trade anything for it.

God, please, give me a second chance and get me out of this corner of automotive hell I'm in. If I have to drive this truck for another year, I'm going to destroy it and post the video on You Tube.

I will never again own another S-Series pickup.

[Rant over.]

Edited by YellowJacket894

I have owned 5 S-series trucks in my life so far, and one GMT355. I like GM's small pickups, they're perfect as daily drivers and for occasional hauling.

That's another thing: I no longer own an ATV or have the need to haul anything, so this truck is just that much more useless to me.

My '95 Caprice Wagon is like that. It ran sweet for exactly one year. Then all hell broke loose. I finally have resolved to put it in the cramped garage and tear it apart to fix it... but I'm going to be irked if this ends up being a death of a thousand cuts.

The problem is that I could score another wagon for cheap. However, I like this one. Strong engine, SS grill, corny pinstripe with no woodgrain, and in condition that I don't mind scratching it, but doesn't look like its grossly embarrassing... yet.

We'll see in the next few months if I decide to punt.

YJ, you sound like me when I drove a Dodge Colt. It's a shame this truck has been so bad to you when your old S10 served you pretty well.

The good thing is, every complaint you mentioned can be fixed. Every inch of an S series pickup can be modified/improved either through OEM parts or the aftermarket. If you're game, get another daily driver on the cheap, decomission the Sonoma, tear it down, and build it up the way you want it.

My brother had 2 S-10s as daily drivers before he switched to Rangers..I never understood the appeal..just depressing, cheap, gray plastic inside...I couldn't imagine driving something like that more than once.

Jessica likes S-10s but I've never liked the way the late models looked inside or out. I always preferred the last gen Dakotas myself. However I don't have a use for a truck.

I kinda know how you feel. For a while the Prizm seemed to go from one problem to the next. First the door handles one the driver's side broke, then the window regulator on the driver's side broke, then the clutch went. Before all that 3rd and 4th gear didn't work. Not long after we replaced the transmission both master and slave cylinders went. 2 more exterior door handle broke, the rear view mirror broke. Oh and the cruise stopped working.

With all that said, once we fixed everything (besides the cruise) the car has been problem free for I think close to 2 years now. Although I did replace the tie rod end and passenger side strut mount recently...but that cost me nothing. Plus, I doubt I could ever hold a car of ours with that much contempt.

My 1991 S10 Blazer was a fantastic truck.

Even the interior was nice... but eesp. pleasing was it's off road prowess,

5-speed manual & the 75% of a 350sbc under the hood. (4.3 liter V6)

That being said I've driven a few late 1990s S10s and more than a few

have felt disappointing. It seems (like with so many things) newer is NOT

always better.

The shift linkage, squeeks/rattles, interior quality & reliability seemed to

go downhill with the 1993/1995 refresh.

I havent really felt that way about any of my vehicles. They were all good tio me even the first 1981 Caprice with the 229 V6.

Now my front passenger side strut has bought the farm.

However, I think God (if there actually is one) might have listened to my rant; I now have a Camaro ready and waiting to go through the negotiation process. I'm hoping I can finally rid myself of this ugly white plague by Saturday at the earliest and no later than this coming week.

What is this strut you speak of?

That be redneckin slang fer whatcha'all city fellers call a "shock absorber."

Well, technically, struts and shocks are two different kinds of uppy-downy springy thingys. Speaking of shocks, I think my Jeep may need new shocks..they have about 50k on them, getting a bit bouncy.

Edited by moltar

Well, technically, struts and shocks are too different kinds of uppy-downy springy thingys.

Coil spring, shock absorber ... whatever. It's all suspension bits n pieces. I've been up since 5:30 this morning, had school today from 8 am to 3 pm, then turned around and went to work from 4 pm to 11 pm. I'm tired and everything I've learned in auto tech, along with three quarters of my overall brain capacity, is hanging half way out of the window drunk.

Why do cartoon characters never have noses?

Depends on the style. Why exactly I don't know.

YJ, you sound like me when I drove a Dodge Colt. It's a shame this truck has been so bad to you when your old S10 served you pretty well.

The good thing is, every complaint you mentioned can be fixed. Every inch of an S series pickup can be modified/improved either through OEM parts or the aftermarket. If you're game, get another daily driver on the cheap, decomission the Sonoma, tear it down, and build it up the way you want it.

My bro treated his '94 SLE Sonoma Ext. Cab like a baby, sometimes regretting he didn't opt up for the ZR2 chassis instead, but happy still that he had an excuse to play it safe on the trails. He still put in a mild 2" lift with few modifications. Then, after 250k kms, he had an option to do some major overhaul work. Around then was when things just started to go down hill with the truck in general, but he didn't care. He took it up the pass one day and floored it in 3rd until a piston shot through the oil pan. Then it was fun times, installed: 2" suspension & 3" body lift; custom black metallic paint; complete transaxle and rear-end upgrade; and the cherry on the top, the small-block custom 350 offering approx. 300+ hp at the crank.

His rationale was that he could have walked away from the truck altogether; however, he just didn't feel right about plunking money down on a new truck that he would have to baby. He also didn't want a separate beater 4wheeler for the fun stuff on the side since that's all the money he would have left to offer his hobby. A complete makeover allowed him to have his pretty truck while still being able to 4wheel with air conditioning.

Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Well, I officially now have two options open to me:

• 1998 Chevrolet Camaro, 3800 V6, 5-speed manual transmission, Victory Red, hardtop, 176,000 miles, in excellent condition inside and out but needing a first gear synchronizer.
  • 1999 Pontiac Firebird, 3800 V6, 5-speed manual transmission, Black, T-Tops, 119,000 miles, in decent condition inside and out (needs inner door lock assemblies, a bezel that goes around the shifter boot, a driver's side taillight, and a new stereo because the display has burnt out) but in good mechanical condition.

If I can have the day off from work on Tuesday, something is going to go down ... hopefully.

Firebird.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Who's Online (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room