• Merge with another domestic
    • Merge with a foreign automaker
    • Shutter all North American operations
    • Sell all overseas operations
    • Be purchased by non-automotive domestic investors
    • Other

OK so I finally voted in my own poll.

I vote other

There is so much stupidity surrounding the whole affair that I take a very pessimistic view.

This is not what I think should happen, but what I think will happen.

- At first GM will do exactly what it already has announced dumping Hummer, Saab, and Saturn. And making Pontiac a niche brand within BPG

- Then they will spend a ton of money trying to make Buick happen again while starving Pontiac.

- Then the new Buick will not do well (but the product will be world class) so they will axe Pontiac and spend more on Buick

- Then Buick will still fail to gain ground (much like today's Saturn)

- When Buick finally gains some traction in the market they will kill GMC and move Buick to Cadillac stores

- Buick won't survive the transplant so it will be killed

- Then GM will be just Chevrolet and Cadillac as its market share withers away.

It will plod and fumble its way into oblivion long after the this recession has passed into memory.

Bleak, I know.

But it is what I expect at this point.

Hope I'm very, very, wrong.

OK so I finally voted in my own poll.

I vote other

There is so much stupidity surrounding the whole affair that I take a very pessimistic view.

This is not what I think should happen, but what I think will happen.

- At first GM will do exactly what it already has announced dumping Hummer, Saab, and Saturn. And making Pontiac a niche brand within BPG

- Then they will spend a ton of money trying to make Buick happen again while starving Pontiac.

- Then the new Buick will not do well (but the product will be world class) so they will axe Pontiac and spend more on Buick

- Then Buick will still fail to gain ground (much like today's Saturn)

- When Buick finally gains some traction in the market they will kill GMC and move Buick to Cadillac stores

- Buick won't survive the transplant so it will be killed

- Then GM will be just Chevrolet and Cadillac as its market share withers away.

It will plod and fumble its way into oblivion long after the this recession has passed into memory.

Bleak, I know.

But it is what I expect at this point.

Hope I'm very, very, wrong.

So basically the same as always? Starve Pontiac, call the brand damaged, and when sales are down 1%, blame all of GM's woes on damaged brands like Pontiac, then kill Pontiac. Lose more revenue that could be used for R&D, less money to spend on the remaining brands, those cars fall further behind the competition, and GM finally goes under.

Sorry I can't help save Pontiac buy buying some right now, but it doesn't seem smart to spend money in a down economy on expenses, when I could be purchasing assets at deeply discounted prices. I'm too busy buying houses and stocks right now. But when I cash in, if Pontiac is still around, I'll help then.

So basically the same as always? Starve Pontiac, call the brand damaged, and when sales are down 1%, blame all of GM's woes on damaged brands like Pontiac, then kill Pontiac. Lose more revenue that could be used for R&D, less money to spend on the remaining brands, those cars fall further behind the competition, and GM finally goes under.

That's how I see it panning out.

Tough vote. I voted Chevy, BPG, Caddy. But I see a strong possibility that GM could end up being Chevy, Caddy only when the dust settles.

GM won't be gone in North America, that would go against the very reason the gov't claims their loaning money to them. Meaning, I don't see the gov't allowing that.