Buick getting Hybrid CUV

buickguy

The only beef I have is that this CUV will be the fourth TE and two under one dealership in the so called renaissance GM. I know it is a Voltech but people's perception will still go to badge engineering.

The only beef I have is that this CUV will be the fourth TE and two under one dealership in the so called renaissance GM. I know it is a Voltech but people's perception will still go to badge engineering.

Well, with Saturn out of the picture, something has to take the place of the Vue. If they sufficiently differentiate it from the Terrain (the way the Enclave differs from the Acadia), then it could work..

Making it hybrid-only is a way to differentiate itself from the Terrain or SRX. This could be the "world's first 'dedicated' luxury crossover hybrid" to compete against and undercut the RX450h. An SRX-based hybrid would be far more expensive; the VUE 2-mode was to start around $32K.

I hope they offer traditional and hybrid powertrains. Hybrid only would make no sense to me. As long as it looks good and is as classy as the new Enclave and LaX I say go at it.

+1! If GM is going to give Buick a Theta derivative, it should have traditional and hybrid powertrain options.

Actually, I thought the clay model in the picture might be a platform mate to the Chevrolet Orlando. It looks a little too short in height to be another Theta derivative. I guess I was wrong though since the first 2-mode hybrid was supposed to be installed in a Theta based vehicle.

As gm4life has stated above, as long as this vehicle is properly differentiated from its GMC Terrain platform mate, then I guess the arrangement might work. I was sort of hoping GM would give Buick tall Venza-ish wagons on the corporation's car platforms (LWB Delta, LWB Epsilon, and possibly LWB Gamma) for the brand's sub-Enclave people mover products and let GMC have Theta based CUVs (SWB and LWB Theta) as that brand's sub-Acadia people movers. Buick's people movers would be more carlike in function and GMC's people movers would be more SUV-like in function. Oh well...

Edited by cire

As gm4life has stated above, as long as this vehicle is properly differentiated from its GMC Terrain platform mate,

One look at the exterior design of this Buick in comparison with the sheet metal on the Terrain alone makes these vehicles night and day. If the interior is executed to the level we are seeing on new Buicks and shares few visible components with the Terrain, even a traditional power train would not make them too similar. Two totally different markets. It is interesting how this design shares language with the Business Concept. Looks like the child of Lax and Business, with traditional CUV door DNA winning out in the union. The character line going back from the headlight looks both retro and modern, similar to the 1972 Skylark. And hopefully, I see the Buick hip forming on that clay, which is the more current expression of the sweepspear.

Edited by InvictaMan

Just replace Terrain with this.....Acadia's awesome but there needs to not be lots of similar vehicles, no matter how much differentiation there is these days....GMC should be truck only, not car-based crossover and trucks, plus as I've said for the last 5 years, there should be smaller vehicles-compact and mid-size crossovers included-at Buick.

Just replace Terrain with this.....Acadia's awesome but there needs to not be lots of similar vehicles, no matter how much differentiation there is these days....GMC should be truck only, not car-based crossover and trucks, plus as I've said for the last 5 years, there should be smaller vehicles-compact and mid-size crossovers included-at Buick.

I have to admit that if the Terrain signals the future for GMC CUV styling, I would rather see GM develop these vehicles for Buick instead. I think GMC could have done the blocky SUV-esque type styling for the Terrain without going so over-the-top with the front end design and wheel arches. GMC styling can be tough and macho without being garish and cartoonish; after all, it is supposed to be a premium utility brand (I think?).

I still question whether GM has sorted out how Buick and GMC will complement each other in the same sales channel. GM seems to be setting the 2 brands up for overlap instead of giving each one a distinct purpose, mission, and identity. GM really needs to get this situation sorted out and quit spinning off so many multiple, overlapping, competing platform mates.

In some ways, it still looks like business as usual at GM: undefined brands and too many multiple "me too" versions of the same basic vehicle. I thought one of the goals of restructuring was to become leaner, meaner, and more focused?

In some ways, it still looks like business as usual at GM: undefined brands and too many multiple "me too" versions of the same basic vehicle. I thought one of the goals of restructuring was to become leaner, meaner, and more focused?

Like I said, the more things change, the more they will stay the same.

In addition to that, who (outside of the design and engineering guys anyway) really understands cars at "New" GM?

No badge engineering here, I see no shared sheet metal. Actually, unless this is a concept that does not accurately reflect a production model, there are no shared elements (i.e. windsheild, height, side windows, pilars, etc.). Looks like Buick is finally getting the attention and respect it deserves.

BuickCUV.jpg

SaturnVue.jpg

Edited by InvictaMan

chevrolet-gpix_concept_2008.jpg

rumors abroad [from another site] set this as the basis for the Buick CUV. you can see there are exact points shared without trying too hard. according to initial press, the agile is based on Aveo [gamma] platform, making this truly a compact CUV the equinox and other thetas cannot be due to their size. very interesting if this is what comes out.

this would be a good move instead of plopping out another theta or TE rebadge job for Buick. there are already too many crossovers coming from GM [given the need for cars], but this would enter a unique category and attract younger buyers. a couple turbo high mileage hi po engines would complete the recipe, say the 1.4 140 hp turbo from cruze, and a 2.0 260 hp DI. the other major choice would be electrical motivation. thus this would become the luxury high end high tech youth CUV offering. small families and singles looking for more space apply. a VW tiguan alternative. with the right interior and exterior style, this could help Buick's move into a younger market.

I have provided a link to the Jalopnik site, where the article about the CBS report is streaming. It is well worth a watch, because there are all kinds of Buick concepts visible throughout the segment, as well as a view of the Corvette Concept and CTS Coupe. Look very closely in the background, just before viewing the CUV clay in question, at the CUV in finished small clay. Also note the person sitting behind the full-size model. This is not a small CUV by the scale of him to the clay. The previous photo did not show this person in full, only the crowd behind, making it difficult to determine scale. It is smaller than an Enclave, but is larger than the Gamma Agile. Also, look at it in comparison to the full-size LaCrosse model in the background. Jalopnik states that this is a modified Lambda platform. This platform should be capable of AWD and Hybrid tech and be quite smooth on the street, but again challenges the Delta II statement.

Link to Jalopnik Article and CBS Video

Edited by InvictaMan

I haven't had time to check the link you posted. but you seem to be against the idea of gamma agile buick CUV. I think the notion of a car that challenges the existing mold of what a buick should be is exactly what they need if they ever intend to appeal to a broader audience. a really cool, visually dramatic and sporty, highly upscale CUV with a turbo'd engine lineup and electric propulsion is exactly a game changer Buick needs.

I haven't had time to check the link you posted. but you seem to be against the idea of gamma agile buick CUV.

Not at all! I'm all for energizing Buick with youthful appeal. And I love the idea of smaller CUVs, a compact sedan, a really hot compact coupe, even a slick, larger coupe based on the LaCrosse. I'd also love to see a rear-wheel drive larger sedan (Park Avenue). I'm just not certain that this clay represents the vehicle you describe. As I said in another post, I'm excited by Troy Clarke's comment to expect the unexpected from Buick. Seeing Buick go from what was basically a niche brand, back to a core brand with many new models on the way is like Christmas for me. I personally think Buick is going to be the new, hot vehicles on the market. Sales figures and acclaim are proving it, and it is fun watching the posters struggle to blast the same old rhetoric ablout Buick that has stained it for years. Luxury, in a price range that doesn't say "Man, why am I paying this much for this car, when I could have had..." Exciting designs, smooth lines and nice proportions, that are tastefully executed to appeal to a broad range of ages.

My family has been a Buick family since 1967. I moved to Hondas when GM quality tanked and man am I regreting that decision after the experiences I have had with that brand over the last several years. My Aunt bought a DTS and then immediately had buyer remoarse and wanted her Park Avenue back. Buick is definitely in our blood, and I am excited that it is coming back to life, and I can't wait until I can own one again. I may be 50, but I sure as Hell don't want to drive an old man's car; these Buicks are not your father's Oldsmobile, far from it! They are youthful, well-executed and priced within my reach. I am salivating for a new LaCrosse, just wanna slip inside one and see how it fits.

I wish I could remember the very old post that had a video with Buick concepts in the background. Someone captured stills and I thought they had been posted. I remember there being small coupes and CUVs, probably the first generations of this CUV. The video I have linked is full of Buick concepts. Unfortunately, the video quality is so poor that I can't make out too much in the pause. At about 1:27 in the CBS video, you will see two small models sitting behind the clay pictured. One is a hot coupe, the other is what I think may be the "Buick Agile CUV" you describe. Take the time to check it out and enjoy.

Edited by InvictaMan