Insurance agents

ocnblu

So, my car insurance for this term went up $234... that's for 6 months. Two accidents with the Sierra and two speeding tickets will take a toll, I understand that. Still, it seemed a huge penalty, especially with loyalty discounts I was given. As the spokesmodel went over all my information, she asked me to verify that I am RENTING my home. :o

When I informed her I own my home, suddenly my car insurance premium went back down $45! And they are sending me a refund for the last term of $28, for being a homeowner.

I have used the same agent since I moved to PA in 2003... I have my homeowner's insurance and car insurance through the same agent, different companies. I am so pissed at my agent right now for costing me money over the last 6+ years for my vehicle insurance because they told them I was renting my house back then!

I have a call in to my agent to explain themselves... the person at the office "was not authorized to answer my questions".

All I'm saying, is make sure you are on top of your own affairs, don't assume professionals you put your trust in don't make mistakes.:angry:

My agent (for a major chain) is a little too aggressive in salesmanship. I have my auto and my dwelling insured through them.

I get a call from her assistant who is generally nice. She starts in on selling me investments. I told her I have a background in business and pencil out my own affairs. Some people don't know when to stop because they "don't know how much they don't know," so I cut the call short.

I think that the assistants at this place are asked to sell financial products. That assistant is no longer with that office, but has moved on to another agent representing the same company. I wonder if she was pissed that she had to do this. I didn't like the pushiness in selling these other lines and have thought about taking my business to another office, but I've been to lazy to do that.

I've been paying/etc my insurance online for probably 5 years now (major insurance company). A couple years ago, I log on to their site, see my car policy, my homeowners policy, and a car policy for a Geo Tracker. I don't have a Geo Tracker, not to mention that policy was linked to another person (with the same last name, similar first name and an address in a town I used to live in). Obviously, a clerical or db error that linked this guy's policy w/ mine. It took 4 phone calls to my agent's office to straighten out.

I have to have insurance since there is a lien on my car.

I wish insurance were simply an interest-bearing account, perhaps put in with the loan payment but kept separate to cover damages, but I understand the risk would be great, for example if you total your new car leaving the lot.

Insurance is legalized extortion and needs to be reformed somehow. Insurance companies make huge profits on customers for years and then when that customer has a claim, *BAM*, suddenly rates have to increase... as if all those premiums you sent in just disappeared into thin air.

Edited by ocnblu

Insurance is legalized extortion and needs to be reformed somehow. Insurance companies make huge profits on customers for years and then when that customer has a claim, *BAM*, suddenly rates have to increase... as if all those premiums you sent in just disappeared into thin air.

You're with the wrong company. A lot of places have accident forgiveness. Allstate has new car replacement.

As far as tickets go, you're far better off taking the $100 to a lawyer than to the courthouse. The fees may end up being more than the cost of the ticket, but your insurance wont be effected. Or, even cheaper, go talk to the prosecuting attorney yourself, unless you have a terrible record, they'll usually reduce it to a non-moving violation. Or ask for a continuance or two for your trial and hope the issuing officer doesn't show up.

Progressive is bad enough, but I wouldn't insure a tricycle with Allstate.

I do have Progressive's Loyalty Rewards program helping me, since I've been with them since 2001. It kicked in like V-Tec. It would have been an even bigger increase if I weren't such a "loyal customer".

Progressive is bad enough, but I wouldn't insure a tricycle with Allstate.

I do have Progressive's Loyalty Rewards program helping me, since I've been with them since 2001. It kicked in like V-Tec. It would have been an even bigger increase if I weren't such a "loyal customer".

couldn't FLO help you with your issues?

flo.jpg

Go live in michigan... where its required!! no matter what. and its high as hell. for 3 people and like 20 cars i pay 4300ish a year in insurance!! so dont bitch.

Edited by capriceman

Every state I've lived in has required insurance...Ohio, Michigan, Colorado, Arizona. (Florida also IIRC, but that was over 20 years ago). My Jeep is basically the same in AZ that it was in Colorado, about $900/yr full coverage.

Rob

I'm paying $2,100 a year for the two cars & two drivers (me & the wife) in New Jersey - can't wait until my 15 y-o stepson starts driving in under two years :mind-blowing: I have no tickets currently on my record (only had 2 speeding tickets ever, both back in '97), and only had minor accidents since joining the wife's policy when we got married in May '01 (well, not counting the big accident that damaged the SKY, but that wasn't my fault). NJ loves to rape its residents for insurance premiums, and insurance coverage is required (liabilitiy only, unless you have a lien or lease). With the way people drive today, and the miriad of distractions available (cell phones, iPods, etc), I don't think policy premiums will go down in price anytime soon.

It's state law to have it in MA. It costs me like $2700 to insure my car. :(

Hey, I flew into and out of Boston en route to Europe for my vacation in July. I've been to Boston before, but I've never seen it (and the area) from the air. The geographical layout was out of this world...beautiful.

I believe you. I heard it's real expensive to live there.

• 3 weeks later...
I have used the same agent since I moved to PA in 2003... I have my homeowner's insurance and car insurance through the same agent, different companies. I am so pissed at my agent right now for costing me money over the last 6+ years for my vehicle insurance because they told them I was renting my house back then!

Ouch. I hope they were able to explain it somehow....

*sighs*

I feel your pain, though. About 10 years ago or so now, I had called to my agent to get rates on a car I was thinking of buying. After I bought the car (believe it was my '76 MC Landau, iirc), the rates I got were much higher than what I had been quoted. So, I called ... and the assistant calmly explained that they had discovered they had me as "married". When I asked for an explanation, all she could tell me was that it was a "clerical error".

So, I talked to my agent the next day when he was available. I asked how long had they had me as "married". He couldn't tell me that; all he could tell me was that ALL of my rates were going up because of that error. I was livid. If I had just started driving ... or just switched to that company ... it would've been better. BUT ... this was the same company, same agency that I had SINCE THE DAY I STARTED DRIVING ... a good 5-7 years prior to that. And, at NO time had I told them I was married. Hmph.

Cort | 35swm | "Mr Monte Carlo"."Mr Road Trip" | pig valve.pacemaker ...RT 66 = Sept 5-16, '09

WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"All your lies somehow left me blind" ... George Ducas ... 'Lipstick Promises'