Waterworld

It has been raining or sprinkling nonstop for the last couple days as a storm system has stalled out over eastern Iowa. So far we have 8 inches of rain here in the city and streets and streams are starting to flood.

We have these teaming rooms in our office we call the cubes (see pic below) and one spots leaks by the air handling unit. We put a 10 gallon trash can up there to catch the water drip, but today it filled up so fast that the weight caused the bucket to crash through the top layer of drywall and water starting spilling into the insulation and causing the lower drywall to bubble. The can was too heavy to lift out, and being the tall one I was volunteered to climb up a ladder and siphon the water out so we could get the trash can down from there. There was mucky $h! in the bottom of the can too, so who knows how long that water was in there. It was 3/4 full again by the end of the day.

cubet.jpg

The parking lot outside

5213_678280663120_16904062_40887660_2795

Where one of my friends works

5250_143630040451_506985451_3388625_6949

It looks like floods are becoming an annual tradition here!

I have an ongoing deck building job for a client. I broke ground July 20 in a brief dry spell; excavating dirt out with a skid steer. Had to wait I think 3 weeks before it was dry enough to get back in for 1 day and auger 18 holes for Sonotubes, to pour the concrete piers. BArely got that done (had to dig one 3' hole by hand). Know when it was dry enough to pour the concrete? Today. Had to get a line-pumper truck; no way to get a mixer close, far too many wheelbarrow loads.

This summer has sucked for decent weather.

'stang- you better not be senting that sh!t this way : don't need it, don't want it.

For the first time in August on the southeast shore of Long Island, it drizzled here last night.

It's amazing.. people 5 miles north of me, 5 miles east of me, got rain this month. It like disintegrates before it touches my town.

cubet.jpg

Nice offices. It's cool to have all that brick visible from the workspace.

Nah...very well defined wet/dry season here. It hasn't rained for at least 3 months and everything is yellow and brown. We mostly rely on melted snowpack from the Sierras for our water needs.

This has been one of the driest monsoon seasons here in recent years, I think...much dryer than last summer...only 2 storms so far this summer, both fairly mild w/ some lightning and rain...no extended power outages for me.

I was really hoping this thread was going to either be about a cool water park

Yes, I had amusement park on the brain, thus my delay at checking out this thread, since we all talked roller coasters recently...

...for us residents of the West, Six Flags Magic Mountain can't be beat for thrill rides, either dry or wet.

I remember when Magic Mountain (not a Six Flags park) was a big deal when it opened in Valencia, CA in 1971 and its 384 feet Sky Tower could be seen from miles and miles in all directions.

Yes, I had amusement park on the brain, thus my delay at checking out this thread, since we all talked roller coasters recently...

...for us residents of the West, Six Flags Magic Mountain can't be beat for thrill rides, either dry or wet.

I remember when Magic Mountain (not a Six Flags park) was a big deal when it opened in Valencia, CA in 1971 and its 384 feet Sky Tower could be seen from miles and miles in all directions.

There was an episode of "CHiPs" where Ponch and Jon had scale duty right by Magic Mountain, and they decided to go eat lunch there one day. When they were leaving the park there just happened to be a a mach 1 mustang drag racing a ford van!?

My yard is in a shambles. It gets too tall to use the bagger between mowings with all this rain, so I mulch it, and the clumps of dead grass lay on top and kill out the grass underneath, and I had to set the deck up higher otherwise it would choke out my mower, and blah blah blah...:rolleyes: