2008 Hummer H2

IL Exclusive: 2008 Hummer H2 Slated for Updated Interior, Engine Date posted: 12-16-2005 LIVONIA, Mich. — The 2008 Hummer H2, which will hit showrooms in 2007, will get a midcycle enhancement that includes an updated interior and an engine upgrade, Inside Line has learned. Hummer general manager Susan Docherty would not give specifics on the H2's makeover. The 2006 full-size SUV is powered by a 6.0-liter V8 that makes 325 horsepower and 365 pound-feet of torque. Docherty said Hummer recently surveyed its buyers and discovered that 36 percent of them say they intend to take their vehicles off-road. She said that nugget of information was "noteworthy" because the conventional industry wisdom, as well as previous Hummer research, has been that fewer than 10 percent of SUV buyers take their vehicle off-road. Docherty also reported that the Hummer brand outpaces every other General Motors brand when it comes to aftermarket accessories. Buyers of the under-$30,000 Hummer H3 load up their vehicles with $1,200 in GM aftermarket accessories. The average transaction price for the SUV is $36,000, she said. "That means the H3 is definitely in premium territory," Docherty said. What this means to you: Hummer buyers think of themselves as serious off-roaders, and the GM brand is hustling to keep pace with them. (InsideLine)

IL Exclusive: 2008 Hummer H2 Slated for Updated Interior, Engine
Date posted: 12-16-2005

LIVONIA, Mich. — The 2008 Hummer H2, which will hit showrooms in 2007, will get a midcycle enhancement that includes an updated interior and an engine upgrade, Inside Line has learned.

Hummer general manager Susan Docherty would not give specifics on the H2's makeover. The 2006 full-size SUV is powered by a 6.0-liter V8 that makes 325 horsepower and 365 pound-feet of torque.

Docherty said Hummer recently surveyed its buyers and discovered that 36 percent of them say they intend to take their vehicles off-road. She said that nugget of information was "noteworthy" because the conventional industry wisdom, as well as previous Hummer research, has been that fewer than 10 percent of SUV buyers take their vehicle off-road.

Docherty also reported that the Hummer brand outpaces every other General Motors brand when it comes to aftermarket accessories. Buyers of the under-$30,000 Hummer H3 load up their vehicles with $1,200 in GM aftermarket accessories. The average transaction price for the SUV is $36,000, she said.

"That means the H3 is definitely in premium territory," Docherty said.

What this means to you: Hummer buyers think of themselves as serious off-roaders, and the GM brand is hustling to keep pace with them.
(InsideLine)

[post="61032"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I think the Hummer brand is way more recognised for off road capability now than Jeep. They have given the brand new vehicles but they are all still serious off roaders unlike newer jeeps that are getting more road serious.

When the H2 first came out, it's interior was the best of the Full size SUVs mostly because it was a completely different design and looked much more upscale. Quality was about the same. Now that the new SUVs have surpassed the H2 with their interiors, I think we can expect a much more luxurious (probably land rover territory) interior. What GM really needs to do is shave off a few hundred pounds to make the car a little more fuel efficient. The new Hybrid drivetrain wouldn't hurt either. It might even surprise a lot of the Hummer haters. Edited by Cadillacfan85

I think the Hummer brand is way more recognised for off road capability now than Jeep. They have given the brand new vehicles but they are all still serious off roaders unlike newer jeeps that are getting more road serious.

[post="61033"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Sorry, hate to be a wet blanket. There's SUVs, Cars, Trucks and Jeeps. Jeeps will always have a lead when it comes to off-road capability. The worst jeeps are better than most "other" offerings.

Example: H1 = $140K, H2 = $60K, H3 = $32K. Expensive yes? Offroad capable? Marginally (with the exception of the H1). Compare that to a Jeep Rubicon, $27K.

The Rubicon is far more of a trail worthy vehicle and cheaper, smaller, more nimble.

Sorry. The Hummer brand is for egotistical, penis-measuring morans who are easily separated from their money. They're buying into "image" more than off-road worthiness. To them, it's all about the "bling".

-P

//Uses his Rubi off road
///Has scratches to prove it Edited by PRoth

Sorry.  The Hummer brand is for egotistical, penis-measuring morans who are easily separated from their money. They're buying into "image" more than off-road worthiness.  To them, it's all about the "bling".

[post="61142"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

You actually had me 'till this. The same can be said for the preppy kids on campus who buy Wranglers with big, knobby tires, take off the doors, throw back the roof, and drive them back and forth to Starbucks and Chik-fil-a. I live in the densest, most urban county in the state of Florida and we can't even drive on the beach legally, so where do these jokers go?

Truth is both brands make vehicles of generally excellent capability, varying by model of course, and have owners who buy for that capability and owners who buy for image.

I really never saw the reason for hostility between the two brands, especially since they're both born from the same vehicle historically...

I find it hard to believe the H2's interior was best in-class when it first came out.  I'd take the Escalade and Navigator over it.  The H3's interior is even better and it costs 1/2 as much.

[post="61139"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

What I meant was the best of the GM full size. It definately wasn't the best out of all of the full size. Sorry for the mix-up.

What I meant was the best of the GM full size.

[post="61153"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Sorry to be blunt Caddyfan, but that's not much of a compliment...

And I wouldn't expect a Land Rover interior treatment from a refresh.

And notice (sorry for being negative today, bad day I guess) that the survey said 36% 'intend' to go off-road. Wasn't the 10% figure from people who 'did' take their vehicle off-road?

I really never saw the reason for hostility between the two brands, especially since they're both born from the same vehicle historically...

[post="61152"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Dang. You're missing out on all the good Jeep Vs. Hummer arguments out there.

FWIW: Jeep originated as a military vehicle in the '40s. Any relation to the '85 M998 (H1) only exists due their both being placed in to service by the Army. I see the military HMMWV's as a necessity to replace several other aging platforms, doing all tasks very well.

-P

Personally, I find the H1 to be a very capable vehicle obviously, and the H3 I'm assuming is a pretty capable vehicle, but I don't consider the H2 any more capable than a Tahoe really. I agree with PRoth on his take on the H2.

I have done serious offroading in an H3 and I can say its more than capable. GM did not sluff off because its a lower priced vehicle than the H1 or H2. As for the H2 I liked it for about 5mins when it came out. I spent 12hrs in my friends H2 on trip from Canada and I hated every minute of it. One of the most uncomfortable vehicles I've been in. I had a topic posted a while ago about an offroading event that I had went to and the H3s did just as well if not better than the H2s!! Drop the awd I have always said this about the Hummers! It would increase their gas mileage, this is what I would like to see!

Sorry, hate to be a wet blanket. There's SUVs, Cars, Trucks and Jeeps.  Jeeps will always have a lead when it comes to off-road capability.  The worst jeeps are better than most "other" offerings.

Example: H1 = $140K, H2 = $60K, H3 = $32K. Expensive yes?  Offroad capable? Marginally (with the exception of the H1).  Compare that to a Jeep Rubicon, $27K.

The Rubicon is far more of a trail worthy vehicle and cheaper, smaller, more nimble.

Sorry.  The Hummer brand is for egotistical, penis-measuring morans who are easily separated from their money. They're buying into "image" more than off-road worthiness.  To them, it's all about the "bling".

-P

//Uses his Rubi off road
///Has scratches to prove it

[post="61142"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Are you for real? I guess that is why the army still uses Jeeps right and not Hummers? Have you ever been off road in a Hummer? The jeep is good but really no comp for those beast! Sorry not to start a flame war but the Jeep is not better just because you hate people who buy Hummers.

Now the H2 may not be the most comfortable but ride in it then a Jeep and you will be glad to get back in it. All Jeeps have hard suspensions that will rock you to death if you just come out of a drive way slightly tilted. Also bumps come straight though and tire noise is killer. I guess it is just differences of opinions though. Edited by rueben44

:P Both Jeep and Hummer are hard core off road machines. I take nothing away from the Jeep, it has a loyal hard core following and with the Rubicon Jeep you really can not get a better OEM 4x4 with Detroit lockers front and rear for the money, I would challange the 27K price as Here in washington, you can not get one for less than 35K. That being stripped of only the base Rubicon, include all the upgraded stereo, etc the dealers put on them and you are in the 35-40K range for a Rubicon. Plus compared to the hummer, they have a known problem of rolling over more than a hummer. The roll over was one of the issues the military wanted fixed with the H1. Plus no diesel so if you look at the approach and departure angels, the diesel engine etc. You will find capability wise the H1 does beat the Jeep except for price. :P Yet every thing that has been written and shown by people that have the H3 or H2 is that they are every bit as capable and with the same awesome approach and departure angles that make these beast so trail worthy. Yes we all would like more power in the H3, Diesel would even be better and I believe we will see it come in both the H2 & H3 soon enough. I say leave the emotion at the door and talk hard core spec's about the rigs. Both are worthy and should be respected for what they are. B)

You actually had me 'till this. The same can be said for the preppy kids on campus who buy Wranglers with big, knobby tires, take off the doors, throw back the roof, and drive them back and forth to Starbucks and Chik-fil-a. I live in the densest, most urban county in the state of Florida and we can't even drive on the beach legally, so where do these jokers go?

Truth is both brands make vehicles of generally excellent capability, varying by model of course, and have owners who buy for that capability and owners who buy for image.

[post="61152"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

...here's another take.

One group touts conspicuous consumption (H2 blingers), while the other seeks an image which depicts masculinity, ruggedness and freedom (Jeep kids).

One says "look at me, I have money", while the other says "look at me, I have virility".

The 4wd crowd doesn't seem to have the ability to censor like the Harley crowd, for example. Try imagining one of the frat boys pulling up to a biker crowd in his blinged out Sportster that daddy just bought him...ain't gonna happen.

...here's another take.

One group touts conspicuous consumption (H2 blingers), while the other seeks an image which depicts masculinity, ruggedness and freedom (Jeep kids).

One says "look at me, I have money", while the other says "look at me, I have virility".

The 4wd crowd doesn't seem to have the ability to censor like the Harley crowd, for example.  Try imagining one of the frat boys pulling up to a biker crowd in his blinged out Sportster that daddy just bought him...ain't gonna happen.

[post="61302"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

B) How about this take, Jeep for those on a low budget and young. Hummer those of us that started out in College playing with jeeps and enjoying our youth, but grown up to want more in a 4x4 as we go off road and having the cash to afford a more comfy ride. :P

To me, both are awesome, just one fits a younger profile and income bracket and the other for those that have moved on up the road to the next level. Both still to be respected! B)

Everyone's forgetting.....the only "true" Hummer is the H1. H2 is basically a modified-Tahoe architecture.......H3 is a modified-Colorado architecture. GM's tuning and tire choices have made H2 and H3 competent off-road.....but they have none of the legacy of the original Hummers other than exterior styling.....and are really no more competent with any comparable Jeep model. Jeeps have remained consistent to their core image since day one. This may change with the Patriot and Compass....but up until now, a Jeep has been a Jeep....and nothing else. (unless you count a couple of DCX-sourced engines.) This includes Wrangler, Grand Wagoneer, Liberty, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and even Commander.

To me, both are awesome, just one fits a younger profile and income bracket and the other for those that have moved on up the road to the next level.  Both still to be respected!

[post="61314"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I'll have to disagree with you to a degree. Yes, for some, income can play into it. But for me, in the Oregon/Washington area, a Hummer has no place offroad. They're too big for most of the real trails here. Same reason you won't see alot of LWB Jeeps/Blazers/Broncos out here. No room. Most Hummer owners though, will flaunt price/income as the reason they're not on the trails (We Jeepers are too poor to afford them).

Are you for real? I guess that is why the army still uses Jeeps right and not Hummers? Have you ever been off road in a Hummer? The jeep is good but really no comp for those beast! Sorry not to start a flame war but the Jeep is not better just because you hate people who buy Hummers.

[post="61314"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I haven't been in a Hummer, but I have been in a M998. It is a very capable vehicle. However, I have issues with it's bastard truck-based offspring that live off it's stellar reputation. From the huge wall-sized blind spots, to the lackluster engines, it's all about the bling.

-P

I am suprised this got into a pissing match before anyone noticed they said mid cycle refresh. This should be the GMT900 H2 and it should have the 6.2 6 speed as its standard engine or optional with the 6.0 being standard. If the Duramax makes it into the H2 I can guess it will be spread across the line. Also I wouldn't expect to see it out the H2s first year, 2nd or 3rd but not first.

...I would challange the 27K price as Here in washington, you can not get one for less than 35K.  That being stripped of only the base Rubicon, include all the upgraded stereo, etc the dealers put on them and you are in the 35-40K range for a Rubicon...

[post="61296"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Which is why the "Friends and Family" discount was so great. Add in a $500 discount for military (current and former). It was too good to pass up.

Bought it through a Fleet/Internet sales rep. Actually came down from Seattle, since they didn't have a color we wanted.

2 days later we're in the TSF going up Archers Trail, through Can Opener, and some others. People looked twice at seeing a Jeep with temp tags on the trails. Niiice.

-P

Everyone's forgetting.....the only "true" Hummer is the H1.

H2 is basically a modified-Tahoe architecture.......H3 is a modified-Colorado architecture.

GM's tuning and tire choices have made H2 and H3 competent off-road.....but they have none of the legacy of the original Hummers other than exterior styling.....and are really no more competent with any comparable Jeep model.

Jeeps have remained consistent to their core image since day one.  This may change with the Patriot and Compass....but up until now, a Jeep has been a Jeep....and nothing else.  (unless you count a couple of DCX-sourced engines.)

This includes Wrangler, Grand Wagoneer, Liberty, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and even Commander.

[post="61340"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Umm... Okay..

Saying an H1 is the only true Hummer is like saying the original GP is the only true Jeep.

If that were the case then Jeep deviated from their roots a LONG time ago with the ghetto barge :D Wagoneer of the 70's that to my knowledge had little off road prowess and then deviated even more with the luxurious soccer mom Grand Cherokee and then commited the unforgivable sin with the unibody Liberty.

Better yet, look at the feminine offerings on the way (Patriot, Compass GC SRT-8) More like cars than off road vehicles.

Honestly though, I love Hummer and I respect Jeep and they both had to change to continue to be relevant.

This news is exciting to me for one main reason though. Since the H2 is now getting the revised powertrain that probably means that it'll be eligable for the new dual mode hybrid system from GMT900 (Or at least one would assume)

No more greenies whining. Finally we can shut those people up for good (FOG smiles wide as vengence is his)

Umm... Okay..

Saying an H1 is the only true Hummer is like saying the original GP is the only true Jeep.

[post="62780"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

But you are forgetting my point that the H2 and H3 are basically a new skin on the Tahoe and Colorado architecture.....basically fancy rebadges....

None of the current Jeep lineup shares anything (other than engines) with other DCX products.

And say what you will about Liberty's chassis.....in enthusiast (re...Jeep) circles it gets rave reviews for its off-road prowess....and will definitely stay with any H2 or H3 off-road....(when equipped with the optional P245 tires and skid plate package.)

• 4 weeks later...
I'm an avid Jeep fan and even I have to admit the Jeep is dying. I'll agree the H1 is the only genuine Hummer and it's far more capable than even a Wrangler Rubicon, but it also costs over three times as much. Still the Wrangler is smaller and more nimble and will still go places the Hummer won't fit. The Compass signals the death of Jeep. Personally, I think things started going downhill with the Liberty, but the Compass is the last straw. I think Jeep will lose more buyers than it will gain by watering down its image. The '07 Wrangler is probably still the most capable vehicle in it's class, but it's losing the character that model has had since the CJ. At least they made the Rubicon TJ before they ruined it with the new '07. Hopefully the new H2 will be truer to its Hummer roots than the Wrangler is. I think a hybrid version would be fantastic. I'm eager to see more diesels and diesel/electric hybrid vehicles out there, especially in SUVs.