Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

New Vibe? When?

I realize that this is an enthusiast forum, and the Vibe isn't exactly an enthusiast car, but my wife is driving one right now and we've found it to be a good compromise for space and mileage for hauling around our son and his accoutrements. I've read "future vehicle forecasts" noting that the Vibe was due for a redesign for the 2007 model year, still as a shared product with Toyota but I haven't really heard anything otherwise about When the new model will debut. Anybody have any scoop about what the next Vibe will be like? I'm sure it will still get a Toyota engine, but man I'd love to have the new turbo ecotec in a Vibe GT.

Well.. other then what you know, there isn't a lot of news on the Vibe/Matrix.
You probably know that both are based on the current generation Corolla platform.
The new Corolla should be coming out within a year or so and it will grow in size and will offer what looks to be a five-door variant.

Posted Image

The Matrix is essentially a Corolla five-door already so I think we can expect the next model to grow in size and offer more distinct styling and features.

Therefore..I'm assuming the Vibe will grow in size also.

Which makes the Torrent seem more useless to the brand then it already is.

I think that the GM/Toyota partnership will end a few years or so. Neither of the brands benefit from it anymore. This will force GM to create a Vibe of it's own based on the Delta platform. Maybe then you'll get the Turbo ecotec.

But it might be a while before we see that happening.

Edited by Cadillacfan85

This Toyota/GM partnership has been around since the 80s. With the original Corolla and the 1985 Chevy Nova and the Geo Prizm. It was originally meant to give GM an idea on how to make well-built vehicles and for Toyota to have a factory in the US without paying for all of it. This isn't anything new. The Vibe/Matrix is a continuation of this partnership.

The Corolla already comes in a 5-door (and 3-door) variant (actually two different 5-door variants for different dealer channels), station wagon, 2 different mpvs, 2 different sedans and the Matrix (sort of a tall half wagon/half hatchback variant—GM's idea). The Vibe and Matrix are expected to continue with the new-generation changeover in '07.

Yes...this 21-year old partnership was just renewed last year. I'm surprised that Toyota has continued it so long, but if they renewed it recently...I don't see why they'd suddenly drop it in five/six years (when the next Vibe ends its cycle). Toyota needs the capacity and I doubt that Toyota would BUY NUMMI from GM since it is a UAW shop. So NUMMI either closes (and Toyota builds yet another plant) or NUMMI continues to be the joint-venture that it is. By the way, even a marginally larger Vibe would be considerably smaller than a Torrent. The new Vibe is due out in August 2007. Edited by Hudson

So the new Vibe is scheduled for Calendar 07, but will be a 2008 model, then. Based on what I'd read I thought it was an 07, meaning it would come in fall '06. Guess that explains the lack of any news. I'm curious to see if the 5 door Corolla in the spy shots will be the 5 door that becomes Matrix/Vibe, or just a 5 door hatch version, which may not even make it to the states like the current Corolla Run X and Spacio. Hopefully the power increases which seem to be happening through much of the Toyota lineup will hit the Matrix/Vibe as well.

This Toyota/GM partnership has been around since the 80s.  With the original Corolla and the 1985 Chevy Nova and the Geo Prizm.
It was originally meant to give GM an idea on how to make well-built vehicles and for Toyota to have a factory in the US without paying for all of it.
This isn't anything new.  The Vibe/Matrix is a continuation of this partnership.

[post="62001"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I don't see how GM is "learning" from Toyota. The Vibe has the worst interior of all the current Pontiacs, at least aesthetically.

I don't see how GM is "learning" from Toyota. The Vibe has the worst interior of all the current Pontiacs, at least aesthetically.

NUMMI was set up so that GM could learn how Toyota built vehicles...as in put them together. GM has progressed greatly since 1984 and NUMMI was part of that learning curve.

Yeah its going to pale miserably next to the Dodge Caliber, and that 2005 facelift and over-emphasis on bland grey (Platinum, Stealth, etc.) colors didn't help the Vibe-it just made an edgy car really bland, and the weak engines, cheap interiors, and sky-high price tags (where features such as ABS, power windows, etc. are all optional), and where the power window controls look like they were directly lifted from a 1990 Chevy Cavalier (yes, go ahead and try to find one-but it was in the '90 full-line brochure). Its turned pretty sad. I think this car should be shifted to Chevy, if Pontiac wants to truly shift toward performance that is, as a Delta-architecture tall 5-door hatchback sedan cousin to the HHR (i.e. Journey, anyone?).

Yeah its going to pale miserably next to the Dodge Caliber, and that 2005 facelift and over-emphasis on bland grey (Platinum, Stealth, etc.) colors didn't help the Vibe-it just made an edgy car really bland, and the weak engines, cheap interiors, and sky-high price tags (where features such as ABS, power windows, etc. are all optional), and where the power window controls look like they were directly lifted from a 1990 Chevy Cavalier (yes, go ahead and try to find one-but it was in the '90 full-line brochure). Its turned pretty sad. I think this car should be shifted to Chevy, if Pontiac wants to truly shift toward performance that is, as a Delta-architecture tall 5-door hatchback sedan cousin to the HHR (i.e. Journey, anyone?).

I think the Vibe/Matrix is a great vehicle, perfect for growing families who want some room, style and a small gas bill.  I think they fit the bill perfectly.

[post="62609"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Works fine for my family! I agree that the interior needs some improvement, and like I said earlier in the thread, a significant power boost would certainly be welcome, but it gets my wife and kid around fine and delivers almost 30 mpg city. The window switches are actually the same ones that have been in Toyotas since what seems like the beginning of time. I actually really like the guage package (in the 2005 and newer) and everything is very usable, if not especially refined looking. MSRP on the Vibe is admittedly high, but street price is significantly lower.

No, the current Vibe probably won't be competitive with the Caliber, but by the time that the Caliber arrives the Vibe will be an almost 8 year old design. Hopefully on a redesign Toyota/GM will provide more parity.

It would be nice if Toyota put the 2.4L 4 cylinder from the Camry and Scion tC in the Vibe, but then it wouldn't get 30 mpg in the city anymore.

[post="62848"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I could live with 23 city if I could lop 3/4 to a second off the 0-60 time. The car's torquey feeling off the line, but just lays down around 20. If the wife could drive a stick, I think it would be a better driving experience.

Does Pontiac really need a Vibe??? If they want to be America's affordable BMW and share a dealership with Buick and GMC do they needs such a car? I think this kind of car would go better with Chevy and Pontiac would be better served by a MINI type car based on a Kappa plaform.

If Kappa was flexible, which it is not, that'd be a great idea...

[post="63098"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

The suspension bits and drive line is half the problem. If they developed a new unibody and added the suspension and drive line it would be half the development cost of a total new car.

Even Jeep did the same with the Comanche Pick up a few years back. The truck used a full frame and they adapted the drive line to their unibody SUV line they brought out. They saved a bundle and made a new high volume viehicle.

The unibody would be lighter and just as stiff as the Kappa as it would not need to be a convert and lose it's strength of a roof.

If they can make a A body drive line into a Mid Engine sports car and a Nova into a Caddy Seville,, I sure they could make a reasonable priced small car RWD shell for the Kappa drive line.

Expanded it could also be used for a RWD 318 style small sedan. Then let Mallett stick a V8 in that.

Well anyway I just believe the Vibe fits Pontiac well. It's a nice car but it just does not fit what they really need.

Well enough for dreaming.

• 2 weeks later...

The next Vibe has been delayed and another delay is possible as well, so don't look for it until around late 2007 or early 2008. :AH-HA_wink:

[post="66072"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Oh wow. Good luck without a small car, Pontiac. And no, a Cobalt clone won't solve anything. <_<

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Maybe Pontiac will no longer feel the Vibe and drop it... well arent we gettin a Pursuirt thats not going to be rebadged from the Cobalt?

[post="74480"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I assume a G4 version of the Cobalt is inevitable for the US....they could probably badge-engineer the HHR into the G5 or Vibe.