Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Okay, time to get laughed at.....

daves87rs

Okay, I know I'm going to get hammered, but I'm going to ask anyways....

First point- Wife has decided to keep her Cav. Does not want a new car. Surprised me, but wants to start saving more money for other stuff. Which is fine, so I'll just update the Cavalier (new ATF/Dex Shocks/struts) since it's pretty good shape for a nearly 7 year old car...

Which brings to to my next point- I'd like to get a cheap SUV for the family, like for hauling stuff around, taking trips up north, so things like that. I only need two things-dependible and cheap ( and rust free). There's a good chance this thing will get upgraded anyways. Here's the trouble: Chevy Blazer.

Why, you say? Yes, I know they have issues........

My buddy just picked up a 2001 Blazer w/103k for 2500. It's in pretty good shape, and he is on the process of tearing the front end (new ball joints). He likes it, and it runs great. He is doing what I've been considering. I don't need the latest and greatest, just something that will get me there.

My bro has already spend money getting ready (new fluids, tires), and figures he'll still get his money out of it. He owns two small cars, and a classic mustang, so a cheap people mover made sense.

Since I have no plan for a new car for a while (I'm thinking late 2011), and my cars are all still in good shape (still plan to money aside for "another" car, just in case), I'm really liking this idea myself.

And I'm not afraid to put money into it, either (granted, this thing will be well cared for, like the rest).

Opinions? Ideas?

Those early TBs had a buttload of issues....I haven't seem em cheaper either.

My co worker's 03 TB has been a nightmare

I had a coworker that bought a used '05 in '06, had 14k miles when he bought it..had a ton of problems over the year he had it..brake failures, wiper motor failure, etc...unloaded it on a new 4Runner in '07. But I'd avoid the Blazers like the plague.

Nothing wrong with S-10s, but a real Blazer would be much better.

I bought one. :AH-HA_wink:

+1.

If I didn't have my Jeep, for a winter SUV I'd look at the '90s full size Blazer/Tahoe or the '92-96 Ford Bronco...I've always liked the last Broncos, thought about buying one in the late '90s when I had the Bronco II.

Suburban with a 350. Seriously, compare the fuel economy ratings > Blazer 14/20, Suburban 12/17 My real world experience with a '98 4wd suburban is 15.5-18.5mpg unless I'm towing. If you're doing a lot of commuting with the vehicle, then maybe 2-3mpg might matter to you, but the difference in the safety, power, reliability, and space between a blazer and a suburban is WORLDS apart. We picked up our '98 for $5k, and that was before everyone go scared about gas.

I'd buy an older Jeep Cherokee.

:yes:

These things are known to have withstood Middle Eastern summers (think 120ºF and sometimes higher temperatures, with humidities ranging from 25% to 90%+) for years requiring nothing but regular dealer service. They're reliable enough for family duties.

Edited by ZL-1

S10s (and Blazers) are largely hit and miss when you're shopping used. If you can find one that's had its PM done regularly and was generally well taken care of in its youth, it'll last forever. If not, it'll nickel and dime you to death, and even so, they're pretty cheap to fix and the parts are almost always on the shelf. The 4.3 should be good for 20-23MPG highway.

With all that said, if you can handle the extra heft and an (surprisingly slight) MPG penalty over the S10, a full-size Blazer/pickup is a damn near bulletproof solution.

Ok, I'm running with the other ideas...

If Burb/Tahoe- what years would be best? To keep the wife happy, it has to have an airbag in it though....I like the 95-99s....

Ditto w/ the GCs, because I know that there are certain years to avoid.....

Next question-what is my chance of finding one with a straight body? Here in MI, I've already seen 04 F-150s start to rust.....

If it does see any winter duty here, it will get washed in a jiffy.....

Ok, I'm running with the other ideas...

If Burb/Tahoe- what years would be best? To keep the wife happy, it has to have an airbag in it though....I like the 95-99s....

Ditto w/ the GCs, because I know that there are certain years to avoid.....

With GCs, I'd avoid the first gen models ('93-98)--they have known transmission and electrical problems. Of the 2nd gen models ('99-04), the '99s had higher than average transmission and brake issues. I've been quite fond of my '00, it's never stranded me in 9 years and 103k miles, I've stuck to the factory maintenance schedule..it's had a few issues w/ engine, transmission, transfer case and rear axle seal leaks, and eats rotors every 30k, but the only big issue so far has been the driver's seat frame breakage issue. Still drives quietly and rattle free.

The smaller XJ Cherokee has had a good reputation overall, I believe. They are quite rugged.

Rob

With GCs, I'd avoid the first gen models ('93-98)--they have known transmission and electrical problems. Of the 2nd gen models ('99-04), the '99s had higher than average transmission and brake issues. I've been quite fond of my '00, it's never stranded me in 9 years and 103k miles, I've stuck to the factory maintenance schedule..it's had a few issues w/ engine, transmission, transfer case and rear axle seal leaks, and eats rotors every 30k, but the only big issue so far has been the driver's seat frame breakage issue. Still drives quietly and rattle free.

The smaller XJ Cherokee has had a good reputation overall, I believe. They are quite rugged.

Rob

So an 00 would be a good choice....

So an 00 would be a good choice....

From my experience, yes....between '01-03 they decontented the various trim levels quite a bit. The '01 got a new and more reliable (I think) transmission, though.. I'd stick w/ the 4.0L 6 over the V8 for the slightly better mileage.