Anyone up for a C&G Meet & Tour in January...

C&G Meet and Tour of the AACA Museum in Hershey, PA?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be interested in attending a C&G Meet and Tour at the AACA Museum in Hershey, PA in January, 2010?

• Yes, I would love to attend.
    • Maybe, depends on how many people say yes.
    • No, I am not interested at this time.

Camino and I floated the idea of a C&G-sponsored meet at the All-GM Nationals show in Carlisle, PA a couple of years ago that never got out of the planning stages. That idea, at least with me, is still on the back burner and I may try to do something for the 2010 show. But moving on...

The AACA Museum in Hershey, Pennsylvania is a great place to visit and the GM Futurliner will be on display there starting mid-October and lasting until early Spring. Seeing as how the winter weather in the northeast prohibits car shows from happening, maybe a C&G meet at the AACA Museum would be a good way for some C&G members to meet, take a tour of the museum, have lunch somewhere, and maybe even do a tourist-y attraction in the area.

Anyone interested? Depending on the amount of people that say yes to a Saturday meet in January, I'd be willing to put this together. Post your thoughts too after voting.

Well I did say Saturday in the poll, but if a Sunday would work better I'm game for either day on a weekend.

What a better way to meet (or catch up) with fellow GM enthusiasts than to hang out at a really cool automobile museum? With it being winter, seeing some classic iron in the comfort of a heated building can't be beat. If there's enough of us maybe we could have lunch there in the museum (see the link I provided). And if we have 15-20 guys we can get a tour guide to take us through the museum. And did I mention that the GM Futurliner will be there on display?

Of course being winter it will be cold outside, but think of all our GM vehicles assembled outside in the parking lot - I'm sure the museum will allow us to park in front for a large group photo. And like I said earlier, I'm planning on re-lighting the plans for a more warm-weather C&G meet at the 2010 All-GM Nationals show in Carlisle, PA in June, so this would be a good segway from this winter meeting.

I see like 30 people have read this post, but only two other people besides me voted. I understand that this is a small area for C&G members, leaving out the west coasters, southerners, and maybe those too far up north, but it would be a totally cool way to get together in the winter. And Hershey is a hotel capital, offering the big name places as well as small, independently owned bed & breakfast places - so those wanting to make a weekend of it can do so (road trip!). I know costs need to be factored in - museum admission, lunch costs, if we want to take a tour of the area (Hershey offers a "trolley tour" of the town that is very historical and fun to do), so maybe that's holding some back. But think of the memories this will make, and maybe it can become an annual thing if it's a success?

Please let me know if I'm :deadhorse: here too...

Thanks for the input... I was beginning to think I was crazy for suggesting this :wacko:

I know this is pretty far off - 3 months - for some to make plans, but for those of us in cold weather months the only way to see a group of classic iron comfortably is to visit car museums. I thought this would be a good idea for a bunch of classic car-starved enthusiasts to meet and see a great collection of classic automobilia. There is another museum in Allentown, PA - America On Wheels, but IMHO the AACA Museum has that place beat. Plus it's in Hershey - Chocolate Town USA! For those that never visited Hershey, they have a great Visitor's Center with a Chocolate-making Tour (ride), a 3-D Show (extra cost), shopping & restaurants. And there's the Trolley Tour I mentioned earlier too.

I will be going to Hershey Saturday and planned to stop by the museum before heading home. I will try to speak to someone about this type of group meeting & tour and see what information they can give me. Hopefully more C&Gers will respond yes - I'd like at least 15 people so we could get a tour guide for the museum (and possibly the permission to sit inside of the Futurliner :AH-HA_wink: ).

And here's another on-going display to entice the C&G fans...

Camaros & Firebirds

presented by Freysinger Pontiac GMC Buick

October 23rd through April 4, 2009

The AACA Museum will be celebrating the return of the Chevrolet Camaro to production by having a special exhibit of Camaros and Firebirds! We will have over 20 Camaros and Firebirds on display ranging from 1967 to a brand new 2010. Some of the featured cars will be a 1967 big block convertible Camaro, an original unrestored 1969 ZL1 Camaro, 1969 COPO Camaro, 1978 Firebird Trans Am that was driven by Burt Reynolds, 1987 Firebird Concept Car Prototype, USA1 the 1968 Camaro drag car owned and driven by NHRA world champion Don Larson. This exciting display will trace the history of these two GM Muscle cars from their 1967 introduction through their final model year in 2002 and then the Camaro return in 2010. The exhibition opens on October 23rd and runs through April 4th of 2010.

General Motor’s debuted the all new “F-Body” Muscle Car twins, the Camaro and Firebird, in the fall of 1966 (as 1967 models) in response to Ford’s highly-successful Mustang. The “F” designation was a reference to GM’s small rear wheel drive body or platform that supported the cars from 1967 through 2002. Mid-1960s car magazines had previously featured stories about a car named the “Panther,” intended to be Chevrolet’s answer to the Mustang. When the car emerged it was called “Camaro.” Not one to simply follow suite, GM upped the ante on Ford by taking the best elements of the dominant Pony Car and infusing them with a unique styling flair and unmatched power. Initially, Chevrolet and Pontiac hoped to field two distinctively different designs. However, an extremely competitive Pony Car market, coupled with economic restrictions from the parent company required that the two cars share a common platform and the majority of their sheet metal. This arrangement proved extremely successful with each car forging an individual identify throughout its subsequent models.

The first generation Camaro and Firebird (1967-1969) offered something for everyone with a wide range of engine choices and a long list of available options. Buyers could design their cars exactly as they wished – low price economy car, full optioned sport/luxury ride or big-engined boulevard bruiser. Excellent styling by both GM divisions guaranteed that the two cars had separate and distinct identities. The Exhibition illustrates the full range with highlights such as a 1967 396 cubic inch “big block” convertible and a slew of 1969 models including an authentic Pace Car and several ultra rare, ultra high performance “COPO” models (Central Office Production Order) specially ordered with the powerful all aluminum ZL1 427 cubic inch engine. The “COPO” ordering system allowed performance oriented dealerships across the country to special order cars that were not available as regular production models. Certain Chevrolet dealers such as Yenko in Canonsburg, PA and Baldwin on Long Island, NY had begun converting cars to 427 cubic inch power for select customers. The “COPO” system saved them some work and helped them keep up with increasing demand. The resulting cars were very fast, limited in number and much coveted by muscle car collectors today. The first generation Firebird shared Camaro’s basic shape, but featured a completely different front design at front and back. Design influence from Pontiac’s first muscle car, the GTO, is evident in the grill and an initial similarity in engine choices. A first year 1969 Trans-Am is featured in the Exhibition.

Through the years, both cars have offered numerous special additions and commemorative models. Perhaps the best-known Firebird Trans Ams began in the early 1970s with “Super Duty” 455 cubic inch monster engines under the hood and large bird graphics above. As the muscle car era ended the big engines went away while the big graphics remained. The Exhibition boasts a high point from both eras with a red 1973 Super Duty and a black 1978 that was originally owned by Burt Reynolds, a movie studio gift received during the filming of the original “Smokey and the Bandit” a film that catapulted the car to a cult classic fame that continues to grow thirty years later.

Over the years, the Camaro and Firebird have waged a performance and sales war with many different competitors. By the mid-1970s, the F-Body Twins and the Mustang were basically all that remained of the once mighty Pony Car/Muscle Car market. Rising gas costs, insurance concerns and a dramatic increase in government-mandated pollution controls and a changing market all combined to essentially put an end to the high horsepower car. While the big engines were gone, Camaro and Firebird held on with sleek designs. The same could not be said for Mustang as it temporarily “downsized” itself from 1974 to 1978 as a Pinto-based vehicle called the Mustang II, initially offered without any type of V8 engine.

By the early 1980s, performance began to find its way back into American cars, much to the delight of automotive enthusiasts. Camaro and Firebird were reborn as a new generation of drivers enjoyed the second coming of the muscle car. Cars like the IROC Z Camaro, named in reference to the International Race of Champions, a driving series that used the car for all of its competitors, the 5.7 Liter Formula Firebird and a slew of special editions Camaros and Firebirds kept the brands alive and well, while doing battle on the track and street with an equally revitalized Mustang. This new horsepower war continued on with vigor through the 1990s. In fact, some of the best of the breed were built during this time, many of which are included in the Exhibition.

By start of the new millennium, the Camaro and Firebird were at their peak in terms of performance and at the top of the Pony Car pack; however sales were down and the end was in sight. GM pulled plug on both cars after the 2002 model. Both cars went out in grand style as evidenced by the 2002 examples on display: the Camaro Convertible had 310 horsepower and was the first ever to feature a 6-speed manual transmission; the WS-6, Ram-Air equipped Firebird Trans Am was built on the last day of production. It is a true muscle car and possibly the fastest production Firebird ever built.

Camaros & Firebirds traces the history of GM’s prized muscle cars through an exhibition of over 20 outstanding vehicles. All eras are represented, along with select high performance and special editions. The Exhibition runs through April 4, 2010.

Camaros & Firebirds Vehicle List

Also available as a pdf download.

1967 Chevrolet Camaro Big Block Convertible

1968 Chevrolet Camaro “USA 1” Drag Car (arrives Nov. 15th)

1969 Chevrolet Camaro Pace Car (30 of 43 festival cars)

1969 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 – all original

1969 Chevrolet Camaro COPO Car L78 427 Big Block (gold)

1969 Chevrolet Camaro ZL 1 (yellow)

1969 Chevrolet Camaro Baldwin Motion Custom

1969 Pontiac Firebird Trans-Am

1971 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 (21 Tractor Trailer Find)

1973 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am Super Duty

1978 Pontiac Firebird Trans-Am (Burt Reynolds via Pontiac, 1st Y-84)

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC Z28 (one owner)

1987 Pontiac Firebird Suntour Concept Car Prototype

1989 Pontiac Firebird GTA Turbo

1994 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am 25th Anniversary Model

2002 Chevrolet Camaro Convertible

2002 Pontiac Firebird Trans-Am WS-6 Ram Air (built last day of production)

2010 Chevrolet Camaro “SS” Performance Package

The last day of production T/A and the 69 T/A would be a huge draw for me.

But pencil me in, it is three months away...but yes, I am planning on coming.

THANK you for putting this together.

Chris

>>"And here's another on-going display to entice the C&G fans... Camaros & Firebirds"<<

That's it- I'm out.

Only kidding.

-- -- -- -- --

>>"...an extremely competitive Pony Car market, coupled with economic restrictions from the parent company required that the two cars share a common platform and the majority of their sheet metal."<<

Not true.

Edited by balthazar

Balthazar, you know my passion for the 60's Firebirds.

They are quite different from the Camaro, actually. Were I buying one new in 67 it would be nice to have the 'bird just to have the nicer (non monoleaf) rear springs.

Still want to own a 67-68 Firebird ragtop someday.

Chris

They did share a common platform, the sheetmetal (and engines for much of their history) not so much. The panels were close, but not the same.

My challenge is to the reason they were that way, not the physical differences / similarities themselves.

-- -- -- -- --

I like the 1st & 2nd gens, I do .... but I'm TIRED of them already. All Firebirds : bro has a '68 coupe (since '95). B-I-L had a '67 coupe (in the '90s) and still has a '69 coupe (since maybe '84). Buddy is rebuilding a '68 coupe for a client. Ex-friend rebuilds Olds & Pontiac motors, always had 2nd gen 'birds around, including '70 T/A & '79 10th ann cars.

Tired... still; these Firebirds I can look at... but Camaros ??? Or 3rd gen, 4th gens of either ????

Slide me under the Futurliner for a nap, please.

• 2 months later...

Yes, January has arrived. Is there still interest in this activity? I'd love to arrange for a get-together, but there's got to be more than 3-4 people willing to do this. I know all about the weather issue, especially since I'd have a 2-hour drive myself to Hershey from southern NJ in a RWD Caddy nonetheless. At this point I'd have to say nothing offical can be arranged, like a group discount or tour guide, because if the weather turns out bad we'd have to cancel. There are some good places to eat at in Hershey that probably could handle a large group with a 24 hour notice, so having lunch/dinner somewhere could still be worked out. Those that live farther away and would want to stay overnight have the risk to take, becuase they would have to book in advance. Since we're entering the first weekend of January, I'd say at this point we'd have to shoot for a Saturday towards the middle to end of the month, like the 16th or 23rd. Post here if this is an event you'd show up for and I'll be more than happy to put something together.

A sample agenda for the day COULD look something like this:

10:00 AM - Meet at the AACA Museum; tour the facilities and see the special displays including the Firebird/Camaro collection and the restored GM Futurliner. C&G member group photo inside the museum, C&G vehicle group photo in parking lot. Stop in the AACA Museum Gift Shop for a special item to take home.

1:00 PM - Lunch (Bear's Den @ The Hershey Lodge/Soda Jerk Cafe <'50s themed family restaurant>/etc.)

3:00 PM - Visit the Hershey Chocolate World; ride the Chocolate Making Ride, purchase chocolate/clothing/collectibles/etc. in the gift shop, see the 3-D Really Big Show (fee), or take the Trolley Tour of Hershey (fee).

23rd tentatively sounds good for me too, weather permitting :AH-HA:

As for chocolate world, cool, but not a must. Cars are most important...I really want to see this AACA place...

Edited by caddycruiser

I could possibly join in. Depends how my work schedule works out. I'd definitely have to turn it into a weekend for myself, though. These long drives all done in a single day have been killing me and I've still got a few more before that weekend. The VW bug is a dangerous one to have.

Edited by blackviper8891

At this point the house calendar is open on the 23rd.

I can commit but for 1 exception- if it snows here 2" or more, I have to plow.

I would REALLY like to catch a ride from anyone in Jersey or east PA tho. I'll meet you wherever...

That could be worked out :AH-HA:

OCD me just doesn't want to get his clean car dirty--well, that is, if I have 32 or higher temps a weekend from now until then to get it up to snuff--but otherwise is set to roll. Not much further than where I just was a few weeks back getting my exhaust done. I seem to hit PA and rack insane miles up regardless on ole G8, so what's a few more.

As of now, works for me. Things change quickly, but if I commit, I'm good to go. I'd like to say have an alternate in case of bad weather, etc. that we could call 2-3 days before, but I don't know how that would work, Roger. Last year this time was fairly okay, I think?

I could care less about chocolate world...no offense...but...XD

I likewise wouldn't cry if there was no Chocolate World stop- Hershey is pretty much available every quarter mile in the U.S.. Give me vintage iron - that's my addiction !!

Ditto on chocolate world.

23rd tentatively sounds good for me too, weather permitting :AH-HA:

As for chocolate world, cool, but not a must. Cars are most important...I really want to see this AACA place...

Well, Hershey's Chocolate World was just a suggestion!! :duck: We can stick to the AACA Museum as long as we can then. A plus is that the museum is getting ready to unveil an updated '20s section (wall murals and decorations).

Actually, the 23rd is the only Saturday that works out for me in January. So if the weather cooperates, that will have to be the day or we can try in February (worry about that later).

Please post after this if you want me to put you on the "Yes, I will attend (weather permitting)", "Maybe, I'll have to see how my plans work out", or "No, not at this time but consider me for February (if the weather doesn't cooperate)" lists.

Same here. The frigid has me worried...clock ticking to get the car cleaned, not looking good. I could come dirty, but frostbitten & dirty...eh :mellow:

Solid maybe. Watching weather, daily.

Edited by caddycruiser

Anyone else care to reply now? I truly understand the need to watch the weather, and reports are not covering next weekend yet. It doesn't matter to me how dirty or clean your ride is - it's winter in the northeast - who's expecting to see a well-detailed car? My car will more than likely be dirty (well, depending on when I get it back from the body shop and if they detail the entire thing!). Come with your ride no matter what it looks like - we can always have a spring/summer C&G meet with cleaner cars :lol:

Here's the NOAA link to the weather forecast for Hershey, PA for those that want to watch the weather for that area: NOAA Weather Link

So far here's the low-down:

YES (weather-permitting): GMTruckGuy74, Balthazar

MAYBE: Camino LS6, ocnblu, caddycruiser

Edited by GMTruckGuy74

UPDATED...

Anyone else care to reply now? I truly understand the need to watch the weather, and reports are not covering next weekend yet. It doesn't matter to me how dirty or clean your ride is - it's winter in the northeast - who's expecting to see a well-detailed car? My car will more than likely be dirty (well, depending on when I get it back from the body shop and if they detail the entire thing!). Come with your ride no matter what it looks like - we can always have a spring/summer C&G meet with cleaner cars :lol:

Here's the NOAA link to the weather forecast for Hershey, PA for those that want to watch the weather for that area: NOAA Weather Link

YES (weather-permitting): GMTruckGuy74, Balthazar, Oldsmoboi

MAYBE: Camino LS6, ocnblu, caddycruiser

PERHAPS, DEPENDS: blackviper8891 :neenerneener:

UPDATE #2 today...

YES (weather-permitting): GMTruckGuy74, Balthazar, Oldsmoboi

MAYBE: Camino LS6, ocnblu, caddycruiser, 66stang

PERHAPS, DEPENDS: blackviper8891 :neenerneener:

header_home.jpg

Come on people, the AACA Museum is calling you!!