The Jeep Compass... Trail Rated - Nope

avant1963

Posted Image

I'd like to see an AWD Vibe or any Subaru get itself out of that ditch. For all we know, the guy could have driven off of the road to see if he could get back on, or may have pulled off because they had to while testing something?

I'm more impressed with the Compass now, than I was before seeing the pictures.

It's funny - At least I found it funny that a prototype driver, probably trying to rush away from the spy photographer, drive off the road and got stuck and got out, all to glee of the photog. Sheez, take a joke. I said that it got out. My point is that there has never been a Jeep in recent memory that would have even given that rut a second thought, no less get stuck in it for a little while. And I can't give a crap if a Vibe can do it, it's Toyota engineering anyway. That little four banger would probably blow up spinning the wheels. (another joke, just in case everyone is still wearing their serious caps)

Between the upcoming Compass and the "all-new" Wrangler, I'd say Jeep is in for some tough times.

[post="68287"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Quite the opposite. Tradition aside, its exactly where the market is going & these things can sell at their size internationally, without change.

Jeep has resonance as a brand across the world. it's actually so simple, I'm surprised it didn't happen sooner.

You know, I do believe that I read somewhere that Chrysler swore they would never do a Jeep that was unable to be a true off-roader. One of the other things I have read was that one of the main reasons that Schrempp wanted Chrysler was for their profit star- Jeep. Ta-dah! Now we have car-based "wussy" Jeeps. It's too bad that most people don't even begin to understand the real purpose of an SUV, you know, to go places unreachable due to terrain by other vehicles. But, in order to survive, I can understand why this is happening. Brand expnsion to make Jeep more viable to all sorts or consumers like the five-foot blonde hairdresser that finds an inch of snow a disaster (don't kill me for that one, please <_< ). And hey, the more Chrysler vehicles that are out there, the happier I am!

They are going from "Trail Rated" to Soccer Mom Rated!

[post="68473"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Which is EXACTLY where the market(s) all over the world are going! LR, GMC, MB & Toyota all have rich truck history and are all introducing their 1st, 2nd or 3rd gen. CUV's....while Jeep is exposing itself to accusations of watering down their image, then the same argument would be needed against Porsche & the abomination known as the Cayenne....

while Jeep is exposing itself to accusations of watering down their image, then the same argument would be needed against Porsche & the abomination known as the Cayenne....

[post="68605"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

It has been made and is many times the travesty any CUV Jeep could ever be.

I agree with CD/BP's above post. The ditch has some pretty crazy angles there. A lot of FWD-biased AWD systems would have been worthless in that situation, I think. Seeing these pictures makes me more interested in looking closer at a Patriot.

Maybe that since Jeep knows it is risking its image with car-based unibody sport utilities, it decided to make this sucker as off-roadable as possible.

Actually, it is trail-rated.  I'm pretty sure the guy drove it off road to test the off-road capabilities.  That thing doesnt look stuck at all, it looks like it's off-roading.  You dont see any spinning tires, do ya?

[post="68742"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Actually, it is not trail rated.

I spent the day at NAIAS today. Let me say that the Compass was, hands down, the most disappointing new vehicle at the show. In the metal, it's incredibly bad. I thought the Aztek comments were a bit extreme, but the Compass runs the risk of being one of the worst designs to hit the line in years. It's that awful. The mediocrity is, however, consistent: the mandible-like front clip segues nicely to the overdone wheel arches, which blend inharmoniously with the awful rear quarter panels. I love Jeep, and loved the Rallye concept. This thing is a pig.