Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Paolino

Television Theme Songs

60 posts in this topic

Okay, so I've been saying this for a few years now... tv show theme songs are gone. I don't even know why it's so important, but at any given moment, you can hum a theme from a tv show anytime between the 50's through the early 2000's, and everyone knows what it you're talking about. Most smile and join in.

TV shows now don't have theme songs (at least most of them). They have a title screen at most. Some don't even do that and scroll credits during the beginning of the episode.

Am I the only one who misses theme songs? The reason I bring it up is because again the discussion surfaced tonight when my cell went off ringing to the theme of The Office, and people chimed in humming it.

Just today, a co-worker said to me "haven't you seen that on TV?" I then stated that I only watch about 20 hours of TV A YEAR.

What made you think of this ... just curious ... because the MSN home page reported that the man who came up with "The Addams Family" jingle passed away within the last week or so. Sad, because he was evidently very talented.

Others that are catchy, but equally stupid, are:

- Three's Company

- Gilligan's Island

- The Beverly Hillbillies

- Green Acres

- Good Times/The Jeffersons (I think one of these said " movin' on up, to the East Side")

I'm sorry, but I never gave this much thought, but now thinking about these songs and their lyrics makes me :rotflmao:

Edited by trinacriabob

I suppose "Won't get Fooled Again" by The Who kinda counts because it's the 'theme' for CSI: Miami, and is segued into after David Caruso makes a corny one-liner.

What made you think of this ... just curious

The reason I bring it up is because again the discussion surfaced tonight when my cell went off ringing to the theme of The Office, and people chimed in humming it.

Ok, I was wondering if there was anything else other than that, such as the "Addams Family" dude.

I complain about this all the time. It's just one less expense for a show. Also, shows don't have any music period now. No more composing music for the show.

CHiPs used to have some of the best composed music. Alan Silvestri did the music on CHiPs. In fact, it launched him into the big time.

Also Mike Post did great themes too like Hill Street Blues.

Don't even get me started on SCORE productions music for Game Shows.

A theme song used to be what you identified a show with. Now you identify the show by who is screwing who or who killed who.

The only show I can think of that has a legit theme is Law and Order.

Also Mike Post did great themes too like Hill Street Blues.

Excellent, as I recall. Some of the fully instrumental ones, like this one, are great.

Of the fully instrumental ones, the best one, IMO, has to be from "Twin Peaks" by someone named Angelo Badalamenti (edit-just checked the spelling) (didn't follow the show, but I've heard this song while channel surfing in the car and landing on jazz stations).

Edited by trinacriabob

Off the top of my head, some of my favorite all time themes:

CHiPs

Hill Street Blues

Magnum P.I.

Law and Order

The Sopranos

Rockford Files

Cheers

Monday Night Football

NYPD Blue

Gee, I guess I like Cop Shows.

Hmmm... some favorite TV themes...

The A-team

Munsters

Addams Family

Dukes of Hazzard

Gilligan's Island

Sanford and Son

SuperJail

Sure there are some more...

I've been spoiled in the soundtrack department by Miami Vice. Jan Hammer's fantastic work captured the 'Miami' setting perfectly, and the liberal use of popular music to set the scene and mood has been often imitated, but never duplicated.

The Sopranos soundtrack was also awesome.

I think you guys have found the missing link on what makes a TV show go from good to great. The last truely great sitcom was FRIENDS and it had a great theme song. The song was by the Remembrandts and it was played on Radio and was a top 20 radio hit. My favorite show now HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER has a theme song but I would classify the song as a NEO-SEINFIELD .

Some recent good ones:

Boston Legal

West Wing

Law and Order

The CSIs

Six Feet Under

Weeds

House

Sanford and Son

Oh yeah...an instrumental one, but pretty good...and set the mood for what was to come.

Without AUNT ESTHER, "Sanford and Son" would have had lost a lot of its kick.

I'm sure we've all had an AUNT ESTHER somewhere try to hand us a religious pamphlet or two....

Edited by trinacriabob

The edit feature timed out on me. Here is Aunt Esther, one of the funniest people in sitcom history:

aunt-esther.thumbnail.gif

Some of my favorite theme songs include

I Love Lucy

All In the Family

Unsolved Mysteries

Growing Pains (although that was an actual song)

Golden Girls (again, a cover of an actual song)

Hadn't thought about this before.

Not exactly the same thing, but I think Jerry Bruckheimer's (sp?) use of contemporary music in his various series has been brilliant. He seems to tailor songs to each episode.

One of my favorite older shows for use of contemporary music was 'Miami Vice'..loved that show when I was in high school and living in S. Florida. Not sure if Michael Mann was the first to do that, but he really elevated the use of music in a TV show..fit the MTV era perfectly.

My favorite theme song and opening credits in recent TV history in 'The Sopranos'... the show also used music effectively in each episode. Another recent one I liked was 'The Wire'...I like how they had different remixes and covers of the same song each season.

I watch very little network or even cable TV these days. Other than Top Gear, some news on MSNBC and a couple shows, I mostly watch DVDs when I watch TV.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Just today, a co-worker said to me "haven't you seen that on TV?" I then stated that I only watch about 20 hours of TV A YEAR.

What made you think of this ... just curious ... because the MSN home page reported that the man who came up with "The Addams Family" jingle passed away within the last week or so. Sad, because he was evidently very talented.

Others that are catchy, but equally stupid, are:

- Three's Company

- Gilligan's Island

- The Beverly Hillbillies

- Green Acres

- Good Times/The Jeffersons (I think one of these said " movin' on up, to the East Side")

I'm sorry, but I never gave this much thought, but now thinking about these songs and their lyrics makes me :rotflmao:

Click here for your enjoyment!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcggr_23WJU

Some of my favorite theme songs include

I Love Lucy

All In the Family

Unsolved Mysteries

Growing Pains (although that was an actual song)

Golden Girls (again, a cover of an actual song)

I LOVE the Golden Girls song!

I think the thing is.....we don't have the same quality of TV that we had in the 70's, 80's, and some of the 90's......

I LOVE the Golden Girls song!

With Bea Arthur in your signature, I would have expected you to me more of a 'Maude' type. ;-)

Actually, I like the Maude theme somewhat... but I like the extended version from Family Guy even better...

With Bea Arthur in your signature, I would have expected you to me more of a 'Maude' type. ;-)

Actually, I like the Maude theme somewhat... but I like the extended version from Family Guy even better...

:D

I know I should probably rotate my sig more.....but I just LOVE Dorothy with the massive cucumber.....(not that there's anything phallic about it....)

:rolleyes:

I've been spoiled in the soundtrack department by Miami Vice. Jan Hammer's fantastic work captured the 'Miami' setting perfectly, and the liberal use of popular music to set the scene and mood has been often imitated, but never duplicated.

The Sopranos soundtrack was also awesome.

This. Miami Vice was such a slickly-produced program...

Here's the thing about soundtracks and opening sequences: networks can fit in more commercials without them, or, increasingly due to DVR, that's another 40 seconds of footage for the show.

I think the TV Show Psych does a pretty good job of using their theme song...lately they've even redone the opening and song depending on the episode.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Who's Online (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room