2006 NAIAS: Infiniti Coupe Concept

Infiniti Debuts Coupe Concept at 2006 North American International Auto Show [Jan. 8, 06]

DETROIT (Jan 8, 2006) – Infiniti today unveiled a dramatic new concept vehicle, the Infiniti Coupe Concept, at the 2006 North American International Auto Show. Infiniti also showed the new 2006 FX luxury crossover SUV, which has been refined with exterior and interior enhancements and greater differentiation between the V8-powered FX45 and V6-equipped FX35 models.

The Coupe Concept continues the Infiniti tradition of merging design and performance. It takes Infiniti’s vibrant design vocabulary, which has helped establish Infiniti as one of the most dynamic brands in the luxury market, and elevates it to the next level.

Among the Coupe Concept’s exterior design features are a full-length glass panel roof, modulated front fenders and hood, deep front spoiler and large projector headlights, polished bare metal-look paint, compact camera outside rearview mirrors, hidden door handles and large 20-inch, 9-spoke painted aluminum-alloy wheels.

The Coupe Concept interior combines a performance-inspired cockpit with a luxurious passengers’ space featuring a “double wave” instrument panel design, with large, violet-color gauge illumination and a dramatic, full-length center console. Specially textured aluminum accents project the image of traditional Japanese “Washi” paper, providing an added sense of warmth and crispness.

“The Infiniti Coupe Concept embraces the continuous advancement of Infiniti design with a unique combination of passion, imagination and creativity,” said Mark Igo, vice president and general manager, Infiniti.

Igo also provided an update on Infiniti business issues, including the fourth straight year of sales records. In 2005, Infiniti sold an all-time high of 136,401 units, an increase of 4.5 percent over calendar year 2004 sales.

“Infiniti sales have been strong across the entire model range,” said Igo. “We’re especially pleased with the acceptance in the marketplace of the all-new 2006 Infiniti M.”

For more information on the complete line of Infiniti luxury vehicles and the Total Ownership Experience (TOE) philosophy, visit Infiniti online at www.infiniti.com.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Source: Nissan News

This is what I've been waiting to see. This concept is an absolute stunner. It puts the current version to shame; and that's really saying something. Infiniti continues to have the tightest headlamp assemblies in the business (IMO). The rear looks grea, the front looks agressive, but also sexy. The flowing lines are very Italianate here, and the result is a car that looks way more expensive than it'll sell for. The rims are SICK! I'm smiling most of all, because of the beautiful interior. The really need to translate the concept's interior to the the production's with minimal changes. I love everything about it; especially the steering wheel. And the guages are very nicely done. I really hope the sedan turns out to be a four door version, or something very close (with little differentiation).

This reminds me of a concept that would've debuted about 6 years ago as a teaser for Infiniti's all-new model, the G35.

I think Infiniti dropped the ball on this one.

You guys are undeservingly harsh... As far as I'm concerned, it's completely different than the current G35. It would be more than just as refresh as not one body panel is shared with the current. So... give it up. You're not amusing anybody.

Amen. This is an evolutionary design, but very well done. The curves give this concept an italian flare that works well, here. I love it. I hope the sedan gets the same treatment.

I really don't think we're being harsh at all on the vehicle itself, merely Infiniti calling it a concept when it just an obvious refresh of the G35 with a crapified center stack. In fact, the only two features that make it a concept (camera sideviews and glass roof) won't even make it to production. They don't even mention an engine difference. So...why is it a concept?

Would be sweet if it was a G45 or a G56, if you know what I'm sayin'

I'm pretty sure it'll get the V8 from the next Q stuffed in there for a high performance version. The IS will get a V8 based off of the LS's 4.6L... so, it's almost a sure bet Infiniti will follow suit.

I really don't think we're being harsh at all on the vehicle itself, merely Infiniti calling it a concept when it just an obvious refresh of the G35. In fact, the only two features that make it a concept (camera sideviews and glass roof) won't even make it to production. So...why is it a concept?

Just because the design of this concept (which we all know is the next gen G) is evolutionary, doesn't mean it's a refresh. You make it sound like a reskin. This is an all new car, with atleast a revised FM platform (probably the M's), new powertrains, etc. What's wrong with them building they're next car's looks on the last car's success?

When I first saw it, I dismissed it as a G35 refresh, too. But now that I've studied it, it seems like Nissan are much more devoted to their brand's philosophy of design, as opposed to L-Finesse, in which Lexus just glues together certain elements -- grille, headlights, taillights, side sheetmetal sculpting -- of what apparently defines a Lexus.

To me, it just looks like the current G35 Coupe that got left in the microwave too long.....

The interior's nice....but if this is supposed to hint at the new G35, then I'm afraid they really didn't go far enough.....

Attractive, yes.....but I think Infiniti's missing an opportunity here....

Nice facelift for the G35, but that's about it..

Agreed. A facelift, and nothing more. And the front panels/forward of the A-pillar seem(s) to look odd with the rest of the body

If everyone would open they're eyes they'd see that it's more than a refresh. Come on... let's not all imitate my one blind cousin, mmkay? A refresh is a 96 Grand Am... a 98 Firebird... etc. This, is much more than that as it is all new. It's probably a concept for the same reasons the current Grand Prix started out as a concept. Same with the Acura TL, RL, etc. To test public reaction and such. To give the public a taste of what's to come. There is nothing wrong with that. Not a refresh, all new, testing as a concept. Got it? Well, get it.

One could consider that is may not be a G at all. Consider this:

-When Infiniti made the M45 concept car, they called it the "M45 Concept". This is simply referred to as the "Coupe Concept". Now that could mean nothing or it could mean it's not a G.

-The exterior has features resembling the M sedan (the headlights are the most notable part).

-It has been rumored that Infiniti plans to release an M Coupe.

-The new (production) G35 is scheduled to be shown in April (in NY, I believe). Why would you make a concept when you're showing the real thing in three months?

Just something to ponder.

If everyone would open they're eyes they'd see that it's more than a refresh. Come on... let's not all imitate my one blind cousin, mmkay? A refresh is a 96 Grand Am... a 98 Firebird... etc. This, is much more than that as it is all new. It's probably a concept for the same reasons the current Grand Prix started out as a concept. Same with the Acura TL, RL, etc. To test public reaction and such. To give the public a taste of what's to come. There is nothing wrong with that. Not a refresh, all new, testing as a concept. Got it? Well, get it.

yes BV is right guys :)

Nice facelift for the G35, but that's about it..

Yes any other day this would be an A+ but today it's just a solid A with the excitment of the Camaro running through my veins. This is a very nice concept... if I'm ever a milllionare this wil be in my collection. Screw the production G35... this is the one I want.

Hey Cadillac! Where is our G35 competitor Cadillac coupe???? We have 3 lame flavors of Escalade but no CTS coupe! GM needs to compete or current Caddy owners like myself WILL be moving on to better offerings. Why should I have to settle for a sedan just because of loyalty? My loyalty only goes so far.

Hey Cadillac! Where is our G35 competitor Cadillac coupe???? We have 3 lame flavors of Escalade but no CTS coupe! GM needs to compete or current Caddy owners like myself WILL be moving on to better offerings. Why should I have to settle for a sedan just because of loyalty? My loyalty only goes so far.

AMEN brother! Preach!

My only problem with Infiniti is that they are built for short drivers. The current G35 coupe is one of those cars that you feel like you have to lean forward to get an unubstructed view out the windshield. I'm only a hair taller than 6ft and it was really annoying when I test drove one.