Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Motor Trend: Buick Regal Prototype First Drive

Z-06

[source: Motor Trend]

First Drive: 2011 Buick Regal Pre-Production Prototype

Have Opel and Buick Built a TSX-Fighter?

November 19, 2009

By Frank Markus

2011-buick-regal-front-2.jpg

The 2011 Buick Regal is targeted at me. My last two family cars purchases have been a 2005 Acura TSX and a 1995 Infiniti G20. Our requirements were 1) a full roster of luxury features and toys, 2) four-cylinder fuel economy, and 3) long-haul durability (the G20 racked up 170,000 miles). I have no concerns about domestic-car reliability, but the Big Three haven't seriously attempted a four-banger luxmobile since the ill-fated Cadillac Cimarron. Now, with Buick training to go toe-to-toe with the Asian luxobrands (while Caddy spars with the Germans), this Regal is aimed at folks like me.

I probably won't be in the market until 2015, but I seized the opportunity to take an early test drive in some Opel Insignia development vehicles that had been Buicized with near production intent chassis and sound insulation. Sized about four inches longer than the current TSX (which itself was 2.8 inches longer than our 2005) and a bit wider and taller, the 3600-pound Regal still manages to project a light and nimble sensation from the cockpit that's not unlike our 3350-pound TSX.

Much of this sensation is due to the 2.0-liter turbo-direct-injected Ecotec four cylinder engine that will join the base 2.4-liter naturally aspirated DI engine next summer. Spooling out an estimated 220 horses and 258 pound feet, the Regal undercuts the TSX (old and new) by a little bit in pounds per horsepower, and by a LOT in pounds per pound-foot of torque. Abetting this advantage is a choice of six-speed transmissions -- GM-Europe sourced manual or Aisin automatic. Buick's 0-60 claim is in the mid-7s, and that seems conservative.

The turbo spools swiftly and silently from a stop or when overtaking (is anyone else out there growing nostalgic for the whistle that turbos used to make?). What little you do hear of the engine is far from Honda in its quality, but a whole lot less Hoover than what comes through in the original Insignia (one of which was brought along for comparison). Chalk one up for the Quiet Tuning gang.

Both transmissions acquitted themselves reasonably well, the Aisin banging off quick, smooth shifts either automatically or via the +/- gate (there are no steering wheel paddles). There was some untoward dithering of the torque converter lockup when coasting, and easing back into the throttle, but I'm assured that'll be sorted out before production. The controller also seemed eager to start out in second gear except when the car comes to a complete stop. The manual stick moves with reasonable precision and nice mechanical engagement, though it put up more resistance than I'd prefer when attempting brisk 1-2 upshifts. There's no driveline lash, though, and clutch takeup is smooth and intuitive. Manual owners may be chagrinned to learn that the traditional handbrake has given way to an electric parking brake, and while hill-holding is on the development list, it's not ready yet. But with the E-brake set on a steep hill, it will release automatically as you go to launch.

And now for the question that really needs answering: Did they Buick all the fun out of this Euro-bred chassis? The development folks swear on a stack of Opel work orders that all they did was tailor the car to match European ride/handling as closely as possible on all-season tires (summer rubber is standard in the homeland). That meant increasing the rear stabilizer bar stiffness a skosh, and slightly altering the internal plumbing of the dampers, though they concede that the end result offers less impact harshness than Opel's design, which is a good thing on Michigan roads. Indeed the Insignia and Regal setups feel pretty similar. Neither is as plush as the LaCrosse. Both follow the contour of the road faithfully with a well controlled ride that may strike the aging Buick faithful as busy. Minimal noise intrudes from such chassis impacts, which improves the mental perception of ride quality.

Opportunities to assess the limit handling were minimal, but the test cars negotiated what few elbows and esses there are in southeast Michigan with minimal body roll and no squealing hysterics from the tires-neither the 245/35R-18 Bridgestone Potenza RE050A summer tires on the home-market Insignia nor the Regals' 235/50R18 Michelin Pilot MXM4 all-seasons (19-inch rubber will be optional on the 2.0-liters). The firm brake pedal has reassuringly little free travel and the hydraulic power steering feels light but precise, requiring little or no mid-course correction.

One turbo Regal option that may further improve both ride and handling is the three-position Interactive Drive Control System. It offers normal, sport, and tour positions, but will adjust to the max-sporty setting if you throw the car into a corner, no matter what the setting. These modes also tailor the automatic transmission shift strategy, the throttle map, and the variable steering assist, but each can be tailored via the control screen if, for example, you never want the aggressive "sport" throttle map.

Finally, the cockpit arrangement seems to work pretty well, with very little of the switchgear seeming foreign (as it does in the Saturn Astra) and most of the touch points feeling soft. One car had a particularly striking two-tone cocoa and cashmere (beige) combination that was a particularly welcome respite from the typical black. If development continues to improve the Regal from the development stage I sampled, then the performance, equipment, and general ambiance might well turn out to be sufficiently upscale to satisfy a TSX intender. Well, at least this one.

Regal T-Type?

Along for the drive simply to demonstrate the "bandwidth" of the Insignia lineup was the range-topping OPC (Opel Performance Content) hotrod version, powered by a 2.8-liter turbocharged V-6. Its 321 hp and 321 pound-feet are routed through a six-speed manual to all four wheels. There is, of course, no plan to revive the Buick T-Type or Regal Grand National names in this day and age, but if they did, I'd have to counsel Buick to ditch the exhaust system fitted to this OPC model.

The drone at 2000 rpm would have banshees covering their ears. This car had three-position shocks, but the settings were all a bit stiffer than Regal's IDCS setup. The normal setting felt tolerable, Sport prompted minor kidney trauma, and when in OPC (the max setting) one fears that conversation might imperil one's tongue. But grip from the 255/35ZR20 Pirelli PZeros is as impressive as the braking from the Brembo front binders. Body roll is minimal, and acceleration from a dead stop feels Audi S4-quick and sure-footed. We may never get this model, but its Recaro seats and aggressive fascias might be welcome on some slightly less wild variant. -FM

2011-buick-regal-center-stack.jpg

2011-buick-regal-rear.jpg

2011-buick-regal-front-three-quarter-2.jpg

That interior blows the TSX's out of the park. It's gorgeous, luxurious, and everything about this car screams New Buick to me. I was upset that I wasn't going to be able to handle buying a new LaCrosse and didn't want to settle for the older one, but this (depending on pricing), should be right up my alley.

Paulie, I haven't seen it in person and neither have you. Maybe the design blows the TSX's out of the water, but I wouldn't make such a proclamation until seeing/feeling the materials in person. The TSX has GREAT material quality.

Edited by Croc

Paulie, I haven't seen it in person and neither have you. Maybe the design blows the TSX's out of the water, but I wouldn't make such a proclamation until seeing/feeling the materials in person. The TSX has GREAT material quality.

I was discussing overall design. The TSX is so bland, monochromatic, etc. IMO, this has a lot going on... chrome/silver accents, wood, two shades in the brown family, etc. I realize that the ebony version looks just as stark as the TSX, but you can't get the TSX in a neutral color anymore, as far as I know of.

The interior colors like this put me in the frame of mind of some of the nicer Bently or Italian type interiors of the past.

It has a very rich look to it, I'll admit. When I first saw the "cashmere" color in the Lucerne, I was impressed because it was anything but "tan/beige", it had a very warm, inviting color to it--very creamy and rich.

I'm not a fan of "gray" on interiors... I've seen way too many of them in the past decade, so I'm done with them in modern cars. Example, my friend has a red C240 Wagon, and the interior is light gray. There's dark wood, but man, the interior looks so cold to me. Ebony I love for sportiness, but sometimes (as in the ebony interior pics of the Regal), it can get too monochromatic and dark for me. I admit, the piano black is nice, and yes, I'd have to see it in person, but it's not my idea of "warm", but more it reminds me of sportiness.

I'm hoping for some creative "ambient lighting" like there is in the LaCrosse. If not, I still like the interior enough--although I will have to reserve final judgment until I see it in person.

I was discussing overall design. The TSX is so bland, monochromatic, etc. IMO, this has a lot going on... chrome/silver accents, wood, two shades in the brown family, etc. I realize that the ebony version looks just as stark as the TSX, but you can't get the TSX in a neutral color anymore, as far as I know of.

even though its just a honda, i (gulp) like (cough) the TSX's interior. it is 'techie' and 'cold' though. the tsx interior is what the honda interiors USED to be. i typically hate Japanese cars but the TSX is one car I could be happy with. the problem with the TSX is i think its kind of spendy now, and the four cylinder stick isn't exactly lightning fast. even with its exterior ugliness, if someone put a gun to my head, i would drive one. if you caught me on the right day, I might even tell you i would take the TSX before I took the VW CC.

this is the beauty of the new Regal. You can compare it to these cars and it seems to meld a little of both. It has some obvious German influence as its an Opel, and yet there is a dynamic in the interior sort of like the TSX that makes it a little more lively than the CC's very nice but quite clinical interior.

This is a nice problem to have.

Here's the deal......I want to see how the new 9-5 turns out as well. Will there be any Saab dealers left to buy one? LOL

just so those nice semi shiny metal accents on the door pull and shifter trim aren't changed to grey painted matte plastic when it starts getting made in oshawa.....

The other "Euro" GM product to be made in North America is the VUE... and that's actually still somewhat Opel-feeling inside, compared to the cheapness of the N.A. AURA.

Antara:

0609_z+2007_opel_antara+interior.jpg

The brushed metal trim remained, as did the lovely Opel turn signal stalks, window switches, headlight knob, and soft touch plastics.

Edited by pow

even though its just a honda, i (gulp) like (cough) the TSX's interior. it is 'techie' and 'cold' though. the tsx interior is what the honda interiors USED to be. i typically hate Japanese cars but the TSX is one car I could be happy with. the problem with the TSX is i think its kind of spendy now, and the four cylinder stick isn't exactly lightning fast. even with its exterior ugliness, if someone put a gun to my head, i would drive one. if you caught me on the right day, I might even tell you i would take the TSX before I took the VW CC.

this is the beauty of the new Regal. You can compare it to these cars and it seems to meld a little of both. It has some obvious German influence as its an Opel, and yet there is a dynamic in the interior sort of like the TSX that makes it a little more lively than the CC's very nice but quite clinical interior.

This is a nice problem to have.

Here's the deal......I want to see how the new 9-5 turns out as well. Will there be any Saab dealers left to buy one? LOL

TSX wagon coming soon, by the way...

That fog light most likely will only be for 15 months while production is in Germany, after that production moves to North America, so you will be able to tell which cars were built where ...

I really hope the rear fog light doesn't come to America on Buicks... its bad enough that a handful of cars that already have them here. Since stupid drivers don't know that they shouldn't use their fog lights when there is no fog, they leave them on... partially blinding drivers to the rear, or in the case of cars with two rear fog lights, they look like the driver is riding the brake.

The other "Euro" GM product to be made in North America is the VUE... and that's actually still somewhat Opel-feeling inside, compared to the cheapness of the N.A. AURA.

Antara:

0609_z+2007_opel_antara+interior.jpg

The brushed metal trim remained, as did the lovely Opel turn signal stalks, window switches, headlight knob, and soft touch plastics.

The center stack changes made to house the black-tie radio ruined the design, though.

I like the Insignia better than your TSX (our Honda Accord), but it is a matter of personal taste. Materials-wise, about the same, but my opinion is based on looking at the Insignia from outside and I don't know if the Acura had a materials upgrade from the Honda Accord they sell here.

I really hope the rear fog light doesn't come to America on Buicks... its bad enough that a handful of cars that already have them here. Since stupid drivers don't know that they shouldn't use their fog lights when there is no fog, they leave them on... partially blinding drivers to the rear, or in the case of cars with two rear fog lights, they look like the driver is riding the brake.

On the Grand Prix, they are "Driving Lights" and if I don't leave them on, the headlights suck so much that I wouldn't be able to see anything.

On the Grand Prix, they are "Driving Lights" and if I don't leave them on, the headlights suck so much that I wouldn't be able to see anything.

From Wiki:

The respective purposes of front fog lamps and driving lamps are often confused, due in part to the misconception that fog lamps are necessarily selective yellow, while any auxiliary lamp that makes white light is a driving lamp. Automakers and aftermarket parts and accessories suppliers frequently refer interchangeably to "fog lamps" and "driving lamps" (or "fog/driving lamps"). In most countries, weather conditions rarely necessitate the use of fog lamps, and there is no legal requirement for them, so their primary purpose is frequently cosmetic. They are often available as optional extras or only on higher trim levels of many cars. Studies have shown that in North America more people inappropriately use their fog lamps in dry weather than use them properly in poor weather.[14]

I can't vouch for the aiming of the Grand Prix's auxillary lights, but it seems that even the manufacturers don't seem to know what to do and most are aimed too high... bottom line... its a brightness war. It takes up to 30 minutes for your night vision to return after being exposed to bright light... you wouldn't need so much light if everyone else wasn't blinding you every few seconds. Then there are people who have tints on the windshield or headlights and have to use the fog/driving lights just to see anything. And the aging of the public (and its effect on night vision) isn't helping, either.

I swear, I used to be able to see alot better at night when I was 21 and using 1970's technology.

If we're going to have rear fog lights... we need a teeth to the law so that people don't use them when not needed.

Okay, so apparently you can get the TSX in a neutral color, but no wood.

That TSX interior is to garish for my tastes. This Regal will blow away the competition.. but there are too many people out there who will continue to deny how much of a great car it is simply because it's a Buick.

Edited by Cadillacfan

It's funny, we've had customers who think they have an electrical problem with their European car when they see the rear foglamp on. They think they have a sticking brake light.

So far, I am surprised and delighted by this new Regal and how it's being packaged. I hope it does well. Multiple bodystyles should be brought to market asap... coupe and wagon to join the sedan, please.

When my friend had his S4 years ago, he put the bulb in the other rear fog lamp and anytime someone was tailing him, he flipped them on to simulate a brake light... worked every time.

Blinding? Confused with brake lights? Melodramatic much? So many cars have "fog lights" on the road these days, and your descriptors aren't accurate. I really don't see how a RED, low-mounted rear light could be "blinding" in the least, especially in comparison to opposing traffic with HIDs.

Blinding? Confused with brake lights? Melodramatic much? So many cars have "fog lights" on the road these days, and your descriptors aren't accurate. I really don't see how a RED, low-mounted rear light could be "blinding" in the least, especially in comparison to opposing traffic with HIDs.

In his defense, I can understand partly what he's saying. Years ago I was on a medicine which made me very sensitive to light at night and headlights were at times blinding to where I felt uncomfortable driving and would hand the keys to a friend. I would occasionally be in a very dark area divided by a large group of trees/shrubs so you couldn't see oncoming traffic and have someone's rear fog lamp blaring in my eye, and although it didn't really upset me as much as oncoming headlights (especially HIDs!), it was a distraction to me.

When waiting at traffic lights, they get pretty bad. I recall the LED brake lights in the old SRX and Infiniti FX being similarly blinding, too.

In his defense, I can understand partly what he's saying. Years ago I was on a medicine which made me very sensitive to light at night and headlights were at times blinding to where I felt uncomfortable driving and would hand the keys to a friend. I would occasionally be in a very dark area divided by a large group of trees/shrubs so you couldn't see oncoming traffic and have someone's rear fog lamp blaring in my eye, and although it didn't really upset me as much as oncoming headlights (especially HIDs!), it was a distraction to me.

So, if you have a personal problem/condition that makes you extra-sensitive to light, then it is "distracting," but not blinding like HIDs can be. OK, glad we're on the same page that it really isn't a problem. Did you try using sunglasses at night? Or just polarized lenses?

When waiting at traffic lights, they get pretty bad. I recall the LED brake lights in the old SRX and Infiniti FX being similarly blinding, too.

Never had this problem either. I wear contact lenses, so I'm even somewhat sensitive to light at night.

Never had this problem either. I wear contact lenses, so I'm even somewhat sensitive to light at night.

Me, too, albeit rigid gas permeable ones. Rear fogs sear into my eyes if I have to follow them from behind. HIDs don't bother me, because they usually come the other way, and you're not forced to concentrate on them.

Saab and Audis seem to be the most egregious, IMO.

So, if you have a personal problem/condition that makes you extra-sensitive to light, then it is "distracting," but not blinding like HIDs can be. OK, glad we're on the same page that it really isn't a problem. Did you try using sunglasses at night? Or just polarized lenses?

I didn't try polarized lenses and did try sunglasses at night, but became too concerned that I may not react to something in time (person/animal in road) if I couldn't see them. I've had close experiences with people crossing illegally and not wearing any sort of clothing to make them stand out at night, and with oncoming traffic I almost didn't see them. My scariest moment was when I was a new driver and a child wearing army clothes playing on his stomach in the street of a residential neighborhood. Because the light was filtering through the trees and creating dancing little spots on the road with breezes, he blended in very well. It wasn't until a friend said, "You see the kid, right?" that I slammed on my brakes.

Me, too, albeit rigid gas permeable ones. Rear fogs sear into my eyes if I have to follow them from behind. HIDs don't bother me, because they usually come the other way, and you're not forced to concentrate on them.

Soft lenses for the win. Try the night/day lenses--30 days, don't have to take them out at night. I've never had hard lenses, but I can only imagine how they'd amplify things.

Well, my Aurora's are mounted low on the bumper, but mine are on at night for maximum visibility, especially when the marine layer rolls in. Front fogs are always on, again for visibility purposes. And by that I mean so OTHER people see ME.

I didn't try polarized lenses and did try sunglasses at night, but became too concerned that I may not react to something in time (person/animal in road) if I couldn't see them. I've had close experiences with people crossing illegally and not wearing any sort of clothing to make them stand out at night, and with oncoming traffic I almost didn't see them. My scariest moment was when I was a new driver and a child wearing army clothes playing on his stomach in the street of a residential neighborhood. Because the light was filtering through the trees and creating dancing little spots on the road with breezes, he blended in very well. It wasn't until a friend said, "You see the kid, right?" that I slammed on my brakes.

So you probably just shouldn't have driven at night with that condition.

I find the image of a child in camo crawling on his stomach in the middle of a street somewhat amusing due to the absurdity of it all. I mean seriously, did you call child protective services after that? I would have...

I'm not staring at the cars with HIDs... I am watching the car with the rear fog lights. And most rear fog lights are not particularly low-mounted.

I can flash the guy with his high beam HIDs to get him to dim them... my SilverStars are pretty bright... but I can't really do that to the rear fog light guy.

I don't have any night vision "problem"... I can see VERY well in the dark... in almost pitch black. However, it can be very glaring when you are on a very dark road for miles and the guy in front of you has a permanent bright red light on his rear. The US has regulated rear light bulb brightness since the '66 Chargers came out and people felt "blinded" by them... and yet there are a few cars that have VERY bright lights back there. Its one thing to sit behind a glaringly bright car at a red light, its another thing to be in the pitch black with the rear fog lamp in your face.

Rear fogs sear into my eyes if I have to follow them from behind. HIDs don't bother me, because they usually come the other way, and you're not forced to concentrate on them.

Totally agreed.

+1

Chris

I agree, and two years ago if you who have said they will be building a small/midsize car on par with the TSX with a 2.0L Turbo and a six speed I would have, just laughed. Then said bull$h!, not the GM I know. Like I said this is great news, and they might just be able to hang onto some Pontiac customers. :scratchchin:

Edited by gm4life