Strayed off the GM wagon again...

My 2008 Sierra served me very well, and I wasnt really looking for a new car...but I have once again strayed from the GM family of vehicles.

New to my garage is a 2010 Volkswagen GTI... DSG, Xenons, sunroof, bluetooth...

It just provides the passion and thrill that I've not felt before.

It's okay, you just got one of the best cars around, period. The GTI, especially the 2010, is an example of just being so "much" car in so many ways in a small package and even for a small enough price, no one has yet to top it. It's as fun & affordable as it is luxurious. It's understandable vs. a Sierra, really :AH-HA:

Considered a last gen for the longest time, and still may pick one up some day, for a fun 2nd car. Mmm-hmm.

If only GM had something in the same class that even had a smidge of the same cred...guess the closest we've ever come was the Astra, but that doesn't do it.

Bet that GTI is about eleventy billion times better than the Civic SI that came before the GMC.

Really to me, the VW is sooo much better than the Civic it isn't even funny.

To me, there is a reason why the GTI is rated along with the Corvette and the CTS and the 3 series BMW in the Car and Driver 10 best list.

GOOD luck with the GTI!

Thinking of getting one myself.

Chris

You have hit on my automotive schizophrenia like a laser guided missile (truck v. car). I love the newest GTI and would love to have one. The blobby look of the Mk V is gone with the reskin, and it's back to the sharpness. Enjoy it and please post photos!

OK...sorry for the delay...I'm computer illiterate...here's a few little pics of my new ride:

IMG_1673.jpg

IMG_1672.jpg

VW.jpg

Edited by jlgolden

Beautiful. I love those wheels - are those from the Detroit Sports Package?

Yes, these 18" wheels are the Detroit option. They are soooo easy to clean!

I would get those options - except I would probably get the Gray or Black exterior. What interior options do you have?

Options on the car:

DSG Transmission

Sunroof

B-Xenon Headlamps

Detroit 18" wheel package

Bluetooth

I really wanted the DynAudio, but there were no DSG 4-doors with that option here in Texas.

Yep, the only colors are white, black, silver, grey, and bright red. I told the dealer I wanted a 4 door automatic in any color except red. They located the white one and bam....it fit my criteria close enough that I am waaayyy happy. My highest priority option was DynAudio but it was not to be found!

Edited by jlgolden

Ya know, I wansn't officially car shopping when the GTI purchase all came to be.

I was with my partner (who is in the market for a new car) and we were test driving "fast" small cars for his benefit.

I really enjoyed the VW test drive and decided to talk numbers with the salesman. Let me just say that Archer VW in Houston was a pleasure to deal with during every stage of the process.

When I realized how affordable the deal was going to be, I welled up with tears of excitement! Mine mine mine!

In related news, my partner placed a factory order for a 2010 Subaru WRX 5-door yesterday. Premium package and convenience group as options, dark grey metallic. It will be a super sweet replacement for his '07 Legacy Spec.B.

In six weeks, his bundle of Subie joy will be ready to come home and park in the garage, right next to my hot hatch. Fun fun fun is in the air this holiday season!!!

Edited by jlgolden

I know if I drove one I'd be in the same boat. I've always loved the way a VW drove, going back to the first one I got behind the wheel of... a '67 Beetle, light blue/white interior that belonged to a cousin of mine. For reverse, press down on the shifter and up to the left, even back then. Darn you and your joy spreading, Mr. Golden.:)

Of course, there's a teensie bit of internal conflict for not buying a domestic brand this time. But not really.

Where in the hell are the Focus SVT and the Cruze SS? Every passing day without them at dealerships is lost sales potential, guys.

But the Mustang and Camaro serve their audiences well, and they are both gorgeous cars.

Meanwhile, Ford & GM offer no direct competitor in the GTI's category: compact, refined, light, agile, quick, efficient, and loaded up for $28K.

The closest hotties might be a Lancer Ralliart, Mini Cooper S, a Subie WRX or MazdaSpeed3. All imports.

When GM or Ford decide to offer the US market something compact, fast, tidy, and tasty, I will consider them again. :rolleyes:

Ya know, I wansn't officially car shopping when the GTI purchase all came to be.

I was with my partner (who is in the market for a new car) and we were test driving "fast" small cars for his benefit.

I really enjoyed the VW test drive and decided to talk numbers with the salesman. Let me just say that Archer VW in Houston was a pleasure to deal with during every stage of the process.

When I realized how affordable the deal was going to be, I welled up with tears of excitement! Mine mine mine!

In related news, my partner placed a factory order for a 2010 Subaru WRX 5-door yesterday. Premium package and convenience group as options, dark grey metallic. It will be a super sweet replacement for his '07 Legacy Spec.B.

In six weeks, his bundle of Subie joy will be ready to come home and park in the garage, right next to my hot hatch. Fun fun fun is in the air this holiday season!!!

Ah, that's usually how it happens...