Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Oracle of Delphi

Here Is A Group Trying To Save Pontiac

42 posts in this topic

Online petitions solve everything.

Allow me to fast forward through the same ol' crap that pollutes every Pontiac thread on C&G:

Pontiac sucks. Only Avis cares that they're gone.

G3 = EXCITEMENT!!!!!

Stop that. I like Pontiac.

You're such an ass. 4cyl G6 = EXCITEMENT!!!!!

But Pontiac made more than just FWD Chevy rebadges

You're living in the past.

You realy don't know what you're talking about

Your mom.

Now that that's all out of the way, I hope the remainder of the thread consists of constructive discussion about the topic. I'm having a hard time figuring out what this group is intending to do. It sounds like they're trying to create a nationalized Pontiac, separate from GM that will be owned by the US government. If that's the case, good luck to them, because they're going to need it. Too many hurdles to get that to happen, not the least of which being that GM has repeatedly said that Pontiac is not for sale.

Nonetheless, I like hearing of these grassroots efforts to try to save the Pontiac name. Very telling if you ask me.

What's this? A poorly made website with an online petition? PONTIAC IS SAVED!

Oh wait, no it's not. Pretty sure all rights to Pontiac are still owned by GM, even if the brand is dead. If the Pontiac name were separated from GM, it would still have no manufacturing facility. If they somehow aquired the large amount of capital needed to aquire a factory, they'd still have no product, as GM would still hold all rights to all the designs. Oh, maybe a group owning Pontiac could get another manufacturer to make cars for them, then just add on Pontiac badges! It maybe almost worked for Saturn! Um, no.

Nice to dream, but it ain't happening. That's not a brand bias thing, it's a reality of business thing. The only way I see Pontiac coming back ever is as a low volume high margin specialty vehicle sold through a GM dealer. Pretty confident we won't ever see it live as a division or standalone company again.

What's this? A poorly made website with an online petition? PONTIAC IS SAVED!

Oh wait, no it's not. Pretty sure all rights to Pontiac are still owned by GM, even if the brand is dead. If the Pontiac name were separated from GM, it would still have no manufacturing facility. If they somehow aquired the large amount of capital needed to aquire a factory, they'd still have no product, as GM would still hold all rights to all the designs. Oh, maybe a group owning Pontiac could get another manufacturer to make cars for them, then just add on Pontiac badges! It maybe almost worked for Saturn! Um, no.

Nice to dream, but it ain't happening. That's not a brand bias thing, it's a reality of business thing. The only way I see Pontiac coming back ever is as a low volume high margin specialty vehicle sold through a GM dealer. Pretty confident we won't ever see it live as a division or standalone company again.

And that's all that needs to be said.

What...is this...LOGIC...you speak? Crazy talk I say!

As you said, the only way Pontiac is ever coming back is if GM brings it back,a nd that will only ever happen if GM has the money and decides there's a market for niche performance vehicles (I'm sure there is, but GM does not have the money to go after a comparatively all market.

But they can sell 200,000 cars at 12% margin within 2 years!

For all the intangible necessities required for a 'stand-alone' Pontiac to exist, the first thing that makes me shake my head is that their Founder and Executive Director is, of all things, a bean-counter. In my experience, there is little operational creativity or innovative mindset that comes with a CFO behind the helm.

This website looks like it's a twenty dollar per month daydream. That's an expensive daydream.

I understand some of the sentiment, and agree about the loss of manufacturing, but otherwise...

What the hell are they talking about?

Not what I'd call a clear vision or a plan.

Still, as Z says, it's telling.

I plan to fine this under- who cares...

While it is nice, there is never going to be much support...

This would require significant government INVESTMENT!!!!!!!

This would require significant government INVESTMENT!!!!!!!

Fapczar,

you-win-an-internet.jpg

Allow me to fast forward through the same ol' crap that pollutes every Pontiac thread on C&G:

Pontiac sucks. Only Avis cares that they're gone.

G3 = EXCITEMENT!!!!!

Stop that. I like Pontiac.

You're such an ass. 4cyl G6 = EXCITEMENT!!!!!

But Pontiac made more than just FWD Chevy rebadges

You're living in the past.

You realy don't know what you're talking about

Your mom.

Now that that's all out of the way, I hope the remainder of the thread consists of constructive discussion about the topic. I'm having a hard time figuring out what this group is intending to do. It sounds like they're trying to create a nationalized Pontiac, separate from GM that will be owned by the US government. If that's the case, good luck to them, because they're going to need it. Too many hurdles to get that to happen, not the least of which being that GM has repeatedly said that Pontiac is not for sale.

Nonetheless, I like hearing of these grassroots efforts to try to save the Pontiac name. Very telling if you ask me.

Oh please, the excitement thread was one of the best this site has ever had.

Sadly enough Pontiac started building excitement again, but it was too late :(

Of course, but the general consensus points in that direction. It certainly had broader appeal than the "adsd" thread of 4-5 years ago in the mod forums.

I have no intention of starting a debate or an argument here, so I'll just make a statement.

I have never been more angered in my entire time at C&G than I was by the "excitement" thread and its subsequent spill-over into any later Pontiac thread.

It ruined things here for me to a large extent in that any topic related to Pontiac quickly morphed into mockery and abuse.

A rational discussion of one of my favorite subjects became impossible.

I sincerely hope that all of that can be relegated to the past now.

I love Pontiacs, and I enjoy talking about them. So I'd like to be able to do it unmolested.

I have no intention of starting a debate or an argument here, so I'll just make a statement.

I have never been more angered in my entire time at C&G than I was by the "excitement" thread and its subsequent spill-over into any later Pontiac thread.

It ruined things here for me to a large extent in that any topic related to Pontiac quickly morphed into mockery and abuse.

I love Pontiacs, and I enjoy talking about them. So I'd like to be able to do it unmolested.

+1

i will always defer to the Pontiac when we have SIDE BY SIDE EXCITEMENT!!!!

plus the G3 has the spoiler!

post-16-12596364609536.jpg

post-16-1259636482496.jpg

post-16-12596365114215.jpg

Edited by regfootball

It's like trying to pick the lesser of two evils :lol: Except beside that fact that one has a gaping hole and the other has a snout, they're the same. :P

Excuse me? Pontiac wasn't being mocked. GM and their utter disregard for the brand was what was being mocked, and with that the decision to shutter a brand that had been left out to dry for so long. If you couldn't see that at the time, or now, then I just can't help you. This is a GM fan site; you got angry over a thread? And that thread angered you more than any of the other things we've collectively experienced on this site? Wow.

No, it's the fact that it's damn near impossible to have a legitimate discussion about Pontiac ever since then. Every thread that mentions Pontiac turns into a bitch-fest who think Pontiac is irrelevant and those who know otherwise.