Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Vehicles that aren't your "type" but you're interested in anyway.

Vehicles that aren't your "type" but you're interested in anyway.

Hopefully an ongoing thread.

Many of us have a type that we go for... whether that be in dating or in cars. Tell us your type and then tell us a car that defies that type that you're still interested in.

For me: I like big luxury cruisers. Buick Lacrosse, Cadillac CTS and STS, Lincoln MKS. I really dislike cute utes, crossovers, and sport utility vehicles. My admiration for the Avalanche come more from it's utility than it's aesthetic though as far as trucks go, it's one of the best looking.

but one SUV keeps catching my eye.

sametpak_2007-Dodge-Nitro.jpg

The interior is really a put off, but I can't help but stop and stare as one goes by......

So, what's yours?

• Agree 1

I'm not a truck fan. I like pony cars/muscle cars, big RWD sedans and RWD luxury cars, sports coupes, sport sedans, sports cars, and real SUVs (RWD/4WD, dedicated platform).

But I'll admit that a couple 2010 pickups catch my eye--the Ford Raptor (saw an orange one this morning) and the '10 F150 King Ranch 4dr (there is one at work in a gorgeous bronze color, love the interior).

I'm also normally also strongly anti-FWD, but I find the '10 Taurus (esp. the SHO) and MKS quite appealing.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar
  • Agree 1

Here's a few:

The Sky and Solstice: I'm not into tiny cars, but these two (especially the Solstice coupe) make me want to break my own rules.

The HHR: As you all know, I hate FWD. But, the HHR pulls-off a unique style that mitigates the drive wheel flaw.

The Mini: see above.

The Volt: I really admire GM for having the balls to go there.

The HHR: As you all know, I hate FWD. But, the HHR pulls-off a unique style that mitigates the drive wheel flaw.

+1 on the Mini. Tiny FWD cars are so not my thing, but I really like the Mini..esp. love the interior detailing and materials. They just seem like they would be a lot of fun to drive.

• Agree 1

+1 on the Mini. Tiny FWD cars are so not my thing, but I really like the Mini..esp. love the interior detailing and materials. They just seem like they would be a lot of fun to drive.

They are, at least in Cooper S trim. The Mini was always FWD, so no nameplate crime has taken place. That may be part of why I think they are ok.

They are, at least in Cooper S trim. The Mini was always FWD, so no nameplate crime has taken place. That may be part of why I think they are ok.

Yes, a car like the Mini is where FWD makes the most sense. I saw an original '60s Mini up close at a car show last weekend, the new Mini is huge in comparison.

There is a Mini Cooper S convertible around that I see occasionally, in a gold-bronze color with an interior in black w/ baseball glove color leather seats and trim, lots of chrome inside. I think it is one of the special edition models...absolutely love the interior.

Edit: It's the Cabrio 'Sidewalk' that has the interior I like.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

The materials are fine (with only a few flaw that I can find), but the ergonomics and layout are atrocious... enough to make a Citroen jealous. I can't imagine having to live with one day to day. I just had a rental Mini on Wednesday.

Edit: Here's my review the Mini Cooper from a couple years ago. Same car I had on Wednesday.

My type of car is a large rear wheel drive sedan... preferably with a big V8 (think G8 GT!). The car that has really caught my attention as of late, that I am a little embarrassed that I like is, the 2011 Hyundai Sonata. I guess it makes sense because I like the way the VW Passat CC looks, as do I like the Mercedes CLS. The 2011 Sonata looks appealing, and seems to be a pretty nice car, I might have to take a trip to a Hyundai dealership, even though I have a strong unfavorable opinion of the company.

I'm not a big luxo-barge sort of guy but things like the Audi A8 and BMW 7er (older and used, of course) always make me think twice. I'd totally a rock an Eldorado, too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eF0rhOWt5Jc&feature=PlayList&p=76F33FEBA82CD674&playnext_from=PL&playnext=1&index=42

Rock On!

I'm not a truck fan. I like pony cars/muscle cars, big RWD sedans and RWD luxury cars, sports coupes, sport sedans, sports cars, and real SUVs (RWD/4WD, dedicated platform).

But I'll admit that a couple 2010 pickups catch my eye--the Ford Raptor (saw an orange one this morning) and the '10 F150 King Ranch 4dr (there is one at work in a gorgeous bronze color, love the interior).

I'm also normally also strongly anti-FWD, but I find the '10 Taurus (esp. the SHO) and MKS quite appealing.

I kind of agree, esp. on the Taurus...Taurus is a NICE car...guys I work with in their twenties love it, and my mother took me to the Ford dealer to look at one when they first came out because she thought it was a hot car...

I'm not a big luxo-barge sort of guy but things like the Audi A8 and BMW 7er (older and used, of course) always make me think twice. I'd totally a rock an Eldorado, too.

I like the old Eldo's...one of my room mates from College had one from the early nineteen seventies...that car...had fuel economy that was measured by the foot. Best it ever got was seven miles per gallon IIRC...but it would go if you hit the loud petal... and it had plenty of room as a make out mobile for taking girls out...

Here's a few:

The Sky and Solstice: I'm not into tiny cars, but these two (especially the Solstice coupe) make me want to break my own rules.

The Volt: I really admire GM for having the balls to go there.

Volt-Hell yes, even though I am a VW TDI guy.

HHR-They came out with that right after I bought the wife's crap box...I'd love to rock one, esp.a panel.

And you all know of my love for Roadsters, so a Solstice, esp a Z0k or GXP Solstice...hmmm..

The materials are fine (with only a few flaw that I can find), but the ergonomics and layout are atrocious... enough to make a Citroen jealous. I can't imagine having to live with one day to day. I just had a rental Mini on Wednesday.

Edit: Here's my review the Mini Cooper from a couple years ago. Same car I had on Wednesday.

You can always use that giant speedo to replace the clock in big ben...it is a British car after all. But as much as I like the MINI, the VW gTI is a billion times more comfortable and Ergonomic than the MINI. My family still wants me to buy a MINI anyways...

With the run flat tires gone and a few handling upgrades, an S is a blast to drive...a completely different car than a base cooper on run flats...

But to answer the question---not a big sedan type of guy but...CTS or CTS-V for sure...the new Bu looks good...and I could see owning a Charger or three hundred in another life...

And also, my father in law just bought a new Dodge mini van with the stow and go...and I thought I'd kill myself before I'd say this but...I wouldn't mind owning one. NICE vehicle...

I like big cars with big engines and RWD... to me, the F-bodies are the SMALLEST car I'd want to drive.

I've talked about the car that isn't my type over and over again... its the Smart ForTwo. Now that its not selling as well, I would definitely want one, but not working in NYC right now, I don't need it.

However, now that they are available cheaper, I may grab one if I return to NYC parking. Especially if they haven't caught on... more parking for me.

I've never been a coupe person, but what Ford and Chevy have done, performance-wise, with the Mustang and Camaro has me checking them out big-time.

Also, I think the A5/S5/RS5 is the best-looking coupe to come out of Germany in quite some time.

Sadly, since the wife and I are planning for little ones, I have to put off notions of buying a coupe in the future... :violin:

Mid-size coupe (and sport sedan) person all the way ... how long have I been posting here now? :lol: ... how time flies...

Answer to thread:

Minivans - of the GM variety - I like the Terraza and liked the Silhouette.

I like them because one gets the ride of a car, decent gas mileage and a place to sleep or, with the seats taken out, an incredible amount of room to carry things.

I am not crazy about the less than optimal reliability ratings and that these are intended to cart around soccer brats.

Incidentally, today I saw a white Monte Carlo with the 2006-07 snout and I was experiencing some cognitive dissonance.

Hmmm...

Mid-1990s Cadillac Eldorado ... almost bought one for my winter beater.

Cort | 36.m.IL | "Mr Monte Carlo"."Mr Road Trip" | pig valve.pacemaker

MCs.Caprice | models.HO.legos.CHD.RadioShows | RTs.us66 = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"I've had enough" ... REO Speedwagon ... 'Time For Me To Fly'