Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

PONTIAC WILL GET ENTRY LEVEL COUPE

Amazing how many are getting riled up over this... when cross-town rival Ford builds the $17k Fusion and the $35k Zephyr/MKZ and they are sickeningly similar.

True...true....but at least the Fusion/Milan/Zephyr do have a BIT more differentiation in them....(not only grille, but headlights, bumpers, rear taillights, etc.)

And the Zephyr has a unique interior (although Milan's is a carbon-copy.)

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In any event.....Cobalt may have a tacky interior, but overall it's a solid little product and is a good-looker (if not the most exciting.)

It's a good car.....so the G5 coupe will be a good car.

Let's just hope that Pontiac figures prominently in the next Major on this car (Cobalt/G5) and they are able to design in alot more differentiation in the Next Gen.

Terrible...Terrible decision GM. I thought this kind of crap was done with.

For now, it will work.

I knew the Montana was on it last leg, as is the Relay.

In Saturn's case, nobody will care.

Pontiac does need something- a quick model fix.

Come on Josh, you know you need a winter beater for your car.... :scratchchin::P

Yes, it is the pontiac Prusuit. And there is a good chance it will called that too.

Though we in the US will get some more goodies though... :o

Unless it is a breakthough in sales, it should only be around until the next cobalt

refresh...

And for those who don't think we/Pontiac don't need it, then you need to take a look at gas prices...

There may not have been a need for a sunfire then-but there is a need for a

gas saving coupe now...

And Pontiac needs the sales, like it or not.

Pontiac needs good product that supports its existence in order to gain sales. Throwing blantantly rebadged cars at Pontiac is not going to help in the long term, especially when image and public perception are concerned. GM should not give in to dealer demands such as, "We need an SUV," "We need a minivan," "We need a small car." You have the Solstice, what more do you need?

Edit: GM said Pontiac and Buick were not going to be full line brands so why is Pontiac headed on that route? GM might as well keep the SV6 and bring back the Bonneville by the look of things.

Edited by sciguy_0504

Amazing how many are getting riled up over this... when cross-town rival Ford builds the $17k Fusion and the $35k Zephyr/MKZ and they are sickeningly similar.

Yeah, I don't get all the whinging.... Pontiac's had the Pursuit in Canada and the G4 in Mexico for a while, why would they expect anything different here???

What does gas prices have to do with this being a blatant rebadge? Everybody needs to ask themselves that. Same with affordability? An affordable and economical coupe does not need to be a slightly different Cobalt, one that is less unique than the Sunfire/Cavalier twins at that. Come the f**k on, people...

You know what? If the Bonnie GXP were here now, it could still accurately be called the most desireable car in the Pontiac lineup.

the grand prix GXP is quicker and has a nicer interior and exterior and did not have a 40 grand sticker either.

and you'd be forgetting the solstice. and I'd much rather have a GTO than a Bonne too. The GTO has one of the nicest GM interiors and 400hp under the hood.

Actually the G6 GTP is pretty nice too.

Edited by regfootball

the grand prix GXP is quicker and has a nicer interior and exterior and did not have a 40 grand sticker either.

and you'd be forgetting the solstice.  and I'd much rather have a GTO than a Bonne too.

Actually the G6 GTP is pretty nice too.

G6 GTP gets around the same mileage as a Bonnie GXP I believe.

Solstice isn't practical

GTO, meh, its a draw. Bonnie has room and a trunk though.

GP GXP is nice but it ain't no Bonnie. Nicer interior? Subjective. But people of above average height can sit in the back of a Bonnie. Not as many airvents either.

Now, if it had a tent for the trunk, I think we could sell 500,000 Bonnevilles.

What does gas prices have to do with this being a blatant rebadge? Everybody needs to ask themselves that. Same with affordability? An affordable and economical coupe does not need to be a slightly different Cobalt, one that is less unique than the Sunfire/Cavalier twins at that. Come the f**k on, people...

IT has a lot to do with it. They can and will make money this this "rebadge" whether you like it or not. :P

Granted it will be different, just not like we hoped...

Don't forget BV, that this is a fill in, unless it becomes a big hit or something..

You can't expect GM to spend a buttload of money on a car that may only be around 2-4 years ( or less).

I heard that they plan to toy with it a bit, so something cool could come out of it...

It is interesting how most of the people complaining about the G5 not being differentiated enough from the Cobalt are teenagers who probably don't even have their own bank account and have to balance a checkbook.

GM doesn't have the funds to give Pontiac a unique small car, and that's all there is to it.

You know what? If the Bonnie GXP were here now, it could still accurately be called the most desireable car in the Pontiac lineup.

Not with that disgusting interior though. It needs a major overhal. The exterior's fine.

Well, back to the G5, are there any hints on how long this model will last?

It is interesting how most of the people complaining about the G5 not being differentiated enough from the Cobalt are teenagers who probably don't even have their own bank account and have to balance a checkbook. 

GM doesn't have the funds to give Pontiac a unique small car, and that's all there is to it.

That's not justification for this. GM has the funds, but they'd rather spend it elsewhere. That's all there is to it.

You would be surprised, Ehaase. :angry: :AH-HA_wink:

If GM does not have the funds to give Pontiac a unique small car than it should not give Pontiac a small car. Why waste money changing 10 design pieces, shipping them to Pontiac dealers and paying the employees to build the car? Releasing rebadged cars just to fill capacity is a rediculous excuse.

Not with that disgusting interior though. It needs a major overhal. The exterior's fine.

Well, back to the G5, are there any hints on how long this model will last?

I would think it last as long as the current Cobalt does..

Thank you for this great insight into the new Pontiac small car. Also, thank you for giving insight completely on-topic and devoid of any attitude or personal attacks whatsoever since we all know that only teenagers would stoop so low because let's face it, teenagers have no real world skills, whine all the time and are clearly far more immature than such esteemed posters such as yourself.

Solstice isn't practical

GP GXP is nice but it ain't no Bonnie. Nicer interior? Subjective. But people of above average height can sit in the back of a Bonnie. Not as many airvents either.

So basically you are saying that absolutely nothing in Pontiac's line-up is worth purchasing? Bah!

I suppose others may have said this already, but I'm guessing this will be just a Coblat clone with a poorly pasted on Pontiac grille like the Pursuit.

Alpha numerics? Blah.

Why didn't they give the Solstice some stupid name that was G-Something?

Guest YellowJacket894

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's a pretty ignorant generalization there, ehaase. (Yes, I do have a bank account, by the way.)

Remember those teenagers are the buyers of tomorrow and YES they pay attention to the car market. They're the ones buying Civics and Corollas which were the original chinks in GM's armor. Don't forget.

You're right that GM doesn't have the funds to build a unique small car for Pontiac so they should just bite the bullet and not bring anything to the market. If you can't be #1 or #2 don't bother. Competing with yourself is never healthy.

Solstice isn't practical

The Bonneville is a relic left over from a time an era at GM that is best forgotten. Tacked on graphics on every model but the GXP. An interior that is downright laughable in design and quality, who cares how much room it has, it is bested in every way by more than one competitor. Good riddance to the lumbering fogey-mobile, if you ask me.

Remember those teenagers are the buyers of tomorrow and YES they pay attention to the car market. They're the ones buying Civics and Corollas which were the original chinks in GM's armor. Don't forget.

You're right that GM doesn't have the funds to build a unique small car for Pontiac so they should just bite the bullet and not bring anything to the market. If you can't be #1 or #2 don't bother. Competing with yourself is never healthy.

True, but teenagers are only a part of the small car market...so you don't want to build one for the kids....

You knows, maybe Grandma wants one too.... :)

Bad call on the teenager thing..BUT you are very right about the lack of funds for

this car... :(

......that interior is a PRIME example of why so many consumers have such a negative perception of GM.....

It's cartoonish......

Cartoonish! Heck lets go down to the GM headquarters and burn a few danish flags. Maybe we can bring doughnuts in protest of Danish Pastry.

• 2 weeks later...

As an autoworker at the Lordstown plant, I can inform you that the G5 will be availiable only in the U.S., and only as a coupe.

Here is an informative article from the Youngstown (Ohio) Vindicator with the announcement of the new Pontiac G5 to be assembled at the Lordstown Assembly Plant:

http://www.vindy.com/content/local_regiona...07620488672.php

Sure, a Cobalt-based coupe called the G5 will only be available in the USA, and an identical Cobalt-based coupe called the Pursuit will be available only in Canada. (With a block heater like someone said)

As for the type of car offered, right now the Pursuit is offered with a base 145 HP 2.2, and a top of the line Pursuit GT is a 171 HP 2.0 with VVT, I believe (the same engine as the Solstice).

It's likely the G5 will have a 171 HP VVT as a base engine, with the 205 Supercharged engine from the Cobalt SS as the higher trim engine.

"Yeah... red-lit gauges, shadow plastic trim, and black upholstery. "

Well, the Pursuit DOESN'T have all red-lit gauges, just the speedometer and tachometer. Everything else is a cool white colour.

I'll also bet the G5 will get a better front grille than mine:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Although, if the G5 gets a better front grille, why wouldn't the Pursuit? They'll be made at the same factory. And the taillights will probably stay the same, they look very similar to the G6 as they are.

You guys are right, they'll just give it a more integrated Pontiac front grille, maybe make the 171 hp engine the base and call it a day. Maybe they'll improve the interior plastics, my car's plastic looks like it was recycled from garbage bags.

But hey, the Pursuit/Cobalt is a good car, for an econobox coupe. It certainly give the Civic a run for it's money.