regfootball

PONTIAC WILL GET ENTRY LEVEL COUPE

i think it will only add sales to the brand, unfortunatly... it may take a few away from chevy...

personally i think pontiac shouldnt have any more vehicles in that budget, pontiac is better then that...

If it's going to be priced close to the Supercharged Cobalt SS I wonder what engine they'll be putting in it. Maybe the 2.0 liter SC ecotec. Maybe the turboed version. Can't I dream a little?

:breakdance:

If it's going to be priced close to the Supercharged Cobalt SS I wonder what engine they'll be putting in it. Maybe the 2.0 liter SC ecotec. Maybe the turboed version. Can't I dream a little?

:breakdance:

yea if they give it the turbo then it would be okay...

it'll be a rebadged cobalt, GM gave into the dealers, and needs to fill capacity after Ion is done. Hopefully they'll give it the turbo 2.0 at launch.

I have a feeling it's going to be a badge engineered Cobalt.  Torrent anyone?

Yeah, pretty much. They already sell it in Canada, so it should come here without modification...just a Cobalt with a different grille piece snapped in, new taillights, and the typically ugly red lighting added to the inside gauges.

One thing is for sure--it definately won't help Pontiac much at all in the way of having a full lineup of "WOW" cars like they need...

Edited by caddycruiser

It was inevitable about a Pursuit or G4/G5 coming along-I knew it all along-hopefully there will be more differentiation here, I know Pontiac designers are more creative than the useless crap (Torrent, Montana SV6 in this non-sporty-oriented form) or vastly underwhelming, disappointing material (G6) or a nice car with an aging chassis in a world of Dodge Chargers (Grand Prix).

It was inevitable about a Pursuit or G4/G5 coming along-I knew it all along-hopefully there will be more differentiation here, I know Pontiac designers are more creative than the useless crap (Torrent, Montana SV6 in this non-sporty-oriented form) or vastly underwhelming, disappointing material (G6) or a nice car with an aging chassis in a world of Dodge Chargers (Grand Prix).

You are consistently too harsh on GM considering its current precarious financial situation. If GM could afford to give Pontiac all unique vehicles, it would do so. If a Cobalt clone helps the Pontiac dealers out a little bit until GM can afford to give Pontiac more unique vehicles, what's the big deal?

Hmm...maybe I am too harsh....I'll have to think more constructively I guess-but don't get me wrong, overall, I am for this car, and if it is priced above Cobalt with higher standard equipment-then that shouldn't be a problem at all. And while they're at it, just to give breathing room, dump the SS Supercharged so this Pontiac could get its "Formula".

Hmm...maybe I am too harsh....I'll have to think more constructively I guess-but don't get me wrong, overall, I am for this car, and if it is priced above Cobalt with higher standard equipment-then that shouldn't be a problem at all.

That's my thoughts on this as well. Ideally, it'd be more than just a badge job, but you take what you can get given the situation.

And while they're at it, just to give breathing room, dump the SS Supercharged so this Pontiac could get its "Formula".

I don't think that's necessary, especially if the turbo Ecotec is a Pontiac exclusive. This is what I'd like to see:

G4/5:

170 HP 2.4L

205 HP 2.0L Supercharged

260 HP 2.4L DI Turbocharged

Cobalt:

145 HP 2.2L

170 HP 2.4L

205 HP 2.0L Supercharged.

perhaps another way Pontiac (not just the G5) could diferentiate itself would be to offer a version of the G4 sedan with either the turbocharged or the supercharged engine.

Anyone know if there are any issues using the turbo engine in a FWD platform? I assume at a minimun some of the plumbing will need to be reworked.

-RBB

Edited by RBB

It can be done...ditch the 2.2L in the Pontiac version and give it some more equipment. It would be nice if it was a Pontiac exclusive feature like HUD but they don't seem to use it as much as I wish they would.

It will keep the plant running near peak capacity (hopefully) and it will buy (little) time before GM figures where Pontiac is going. It's just a quick fix not to loose volume...

Anyone know if there are any issues using the turbo engine in a FWD platform?  I assume at a minimun some of the plumbing will need to be reworked. 

-RBB

If supercharging can be done, I really don't see why turbocharging can't be. The difference between a supercharger and a turbocharger is the way it gets its power.

Moreover, Saab's been doing it for quite a long time already.

A Cobalt clone sickens me just like the Torrent. I wouldn't bet on any unique powertrains either (see Torrent.)

It's sad.....because GM has shown that they CAN do badge engineering better than Ford.....as uncompetitive in many areas that the LaCrosse/Impala/Grand Prix are....at least you can honestly say they don't share one body panel or one interior panel/seat/dash/console.

The 500 and Montego are near twins. Ditto the Fusion/Milan. Ditto the Crown Vic/Grand Marquis. Ditto the Escape/Mariner.

Good move on GM's part. Like I've said before, Pontiac is as good as dead (has been for some time). The only thing keeping it alive are GM's need to keep the factories cranking, dealers' need for product, Enterprise's need for "transportation units" and the occasional enthusiast who idealizes either a time he or his father remembers from his youth.

GM would do well to cut all advertising to Buick and Pontiac and simply make straight clones of Chevy model-for-model (that's what they are underneath anyway and everyone in the free world knows it). "Back to 1982" will allow GM to squeeze out the last remaining profits of these two great names that began a decline 30 years ago. Straight clones of Chevies with maybe new front clips. GM doesn't have the creativity, intelligence or, now, money to do anything better. Better get religion on Chevrolet and Cadillac before it's too late!!!

g5 GXP anyone?  A cobalt with 260hp under the hood is fine with me.  Imagine the disgruntled vtec wussies.

Why GXP? Why can't the G5 base model be a performance model like the Cobalt SS? It would make it less of a clone and make pontiac look more like the performance division instead of the econo division.

hmmmmmmmm right as i start to regain hope the gm had pulled it head out of its arse we get more badge enginering DOH! :banghead:

but then they go and do this which leaves me wondering what they are thinking :stupid: they say this is just to tide the dealers over till they can develop something else but have we heard anything about what that car would be?

:cussing::duh::nono::yuck::fryingpan::hissyfit:

I understand this is for the dealers, we discused the loss for dealers back when Sunbird was cut.

however

At $20,000 I dont understand this, why not the ecotec G6 @ $20,000 ? theres your entry level.

If they do not change the sheet metal and the interior this is a bad move.

As for the whole minivan issue, why in the everliving hell are they so sure NOW that 4 is 2 too many, but thought they were all necessary just over a year ago?

Not that it would have been a lot, but think what the morons could have saved by only making the 2 versions in the first place ^_^

Strangely enough, as much of poorly designed antique vans they are, the inteiors are oddly beautiful in most every model, especially the Terrazza--which also has that whole extra sound deadening thing going for it. Too bad the adaptability of the interior packaging is about as good as minivans from 10 years ago, that they've had SO many electrical problems (go check out any owner boards for them--alternators are just one bug :nono: ), along with build quality issues (moldings simply falling off, pieces coming undone, etc.)

Kill the Buick and Pontiac now, brush up the look of the Chevy a bit, and give the Saturn the Buick's interior and sound deadening, and those two should at least live on competently until being put down...hopefully before too long.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We  Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook