2007 Cadillac SRX to Get First Sport Model

Variance

IL Exclusive: 2007 Cadillac SRX to Get First Sport Model

Date posted: 02-13-2006

DETROIT — Inside Line has learned that Cadillac is in the process of sprucing up its SRX lineup, adding a first-ever sport model that may hit showrooms as early as this fall.

A Cadillac insider said the 2007 SRX sport model will be top-heavy on "appearance items," including 20-inch wheels and tires, a color-matched grille, and a list of new colors. An on-sale date and pricing have not yet been determined on the SRX sport model.

The entire SRX lineup will get revamped with a new interior that is being described as "a pretty thorough change." The SRX — which competes with such vehicles as the Acura MDX, the Lexus RX 330, and the Volkswagen Touareg — has been criticized in the past for having an interior that is too plasticky and not quite up to snuff in terms of its luxury competitors.

GM recently lowered the price on the SRX by about $3,000 as part of an overall value-pricing strategy.

What this means to you: The SRX gets an extreme makeover, inside and out, in time for the upcoming model year.

Link: http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=109297

I've always loved the SRX---except I felt there were flaws with the exterior and obviously the interior is its huge weakness. I would rank it as my second favorite lux SUV behind the X5, and it's more useful thanks to a third row seat that really can fit real human beings. Who can say how comprehensive this will be though? It's definitely needed, SRX is one area Cadillac never blew sales away and rightfully should have. People just never got the design.

The design was very wagon-like at a time when most crossovers went for a faux-rugged look. Compare and X5 or ML to the SRX and the differences are obvious - no cheesy plastic skidplates, fake ridging, or excessive plastic molding.

Also, I remember Cadillac rolling out the top-of-the-line models first with few lower-trim V6s in comparison. A loaded V8 AWD SRX with UltraView + Megaroof and all the goodies ran up near $60k and I'm sure many people came, saw, and walked.

Good to know GM isn't just letting this awesome car slip away.

Oh, and where's the V-Series? :banghead:

KUDOS!!! About the interior!

This is one of GM's best vehicles and they need to fine tune it enough to sell it well and let the public experience it.

I certainly hope the "sport" model doesn't look like the cheap ass Sema show vehicle of a couple years ago.. It was HORRIBLE looking and had a Target store sheap personna.

Great. The driving dynamics have always been there (there IS a reason why Car and Driver, the mag so many despise around here, has names it top luxury 'ute 3 years in a row... :AH-HA_wink: ), but with a subpar interior and a high price. They already started working on the inflated price, and now the interior and a wider choice of optioning is on the way...GREAT news :ohyeah:

I think this should seal the deal on further award winning, at least as long as no competitor does anything drastic at the same time.

Hopefully it gets a power upgrade in the form of the UV8 and DI 3.6 to stay ahead of the competition in performance.

It sounds like everything that got "cancelled" to move up GMT900 was really just delayed, like Zeta.

this BETTER happen. it would catapault them to head of class in power numbers and would be a sure attention getter. If CTS is getting it at the start of next year, I see no good reason not to have it for SRX this summer.

[Although speaking from a perspective on GM, they will surely not have the UV8 ready for another two years, even though we've known about for almost a year already. The DI 3.6 will be delayed until the intro of CTS, which won't happen for another two years from the date I write today.]

Good news! While the next-gen SRX has been delayed, it is good to see GM improve an already solid contender.

The SRX has gotten great reviews, unfortunately it hasn't been a hot seller due to high pricing and a not-too-fantastic exterior. On that note, I really like Bimmer325's chop...that'd make a good ext. refresh.

Fixing the SRX's interior and adding a few flashy upgrades while lowering the price could really give this vehicle a jumpstart. They've just got to market it properly...

I like the exterior just like it is they just need to give it a DTS level interior along with new rims and it will be solid. They already fixed its first problem and that is the pricing.

I will also say it again add the Vue's hybrid system to it to increase fuel economy and it will fly off the lot. Imagine a Luxury SUV getting gas mileage in the 20's for under 40K.

• 2 weeks later...

I spoke with my cad dealer and they confirmed that the SRX will be updated.

They don't have any specifics yet - no date, no pictures, no pricing, but they promised to call me as soon as they get the info since they know I'm very likely going to get one of these bad boys....

Any ideas on when pictures will be available?

What is the on sale date? I have a lease ending in December that I hope gives me perfect timing....

Oh yeah, with December, you'll be PERFECT. They'll have been out for some months, and you'll be able to see them fully, as long as order exactly what you want and have some time leeway.

I just hope the improvements are REALLY worthwile and not just a few minor things here and there.