Music..

NOS2006

What have you been listening to lately?

Today I heard a Kid Rock song on the radio that I haven't heard on the radio (I don't even think I've heard this on the radio, but I have it on a CD somewhere). And lately I've been trying to listen to more 80s and progressive rock stuff.

Plus, I'm likin' some current hits like I'm in Love with a Stripper, Rodeo, and Lean Wit it Rock Wit It.

These two groups:

Cartel

Five Minutes to Freedom

-----------------

FMF is incredibly good, and their debut album is soon coming. For now, just go to http://myspace.com/fmf for info. Oh, and their album is amazing; I've heard it. One of my bros grew up with the guys and another bro is actually managing them. I've hung out with FMF and they are pretty cool. Favorite songs: "Momentum" and "Daydreamer."

Cartel has already released an album, Chroma, and they are based out of Atlanta.

Edited by Croc

I bought a couple used CDs lately...Saigon Kick "The Lizard" and Britny Fox "Britny Fox." Britny Fox is a hair band, but Saigon Kick is kind of its own genre...they came about during the transition to grunge in the 90s, so they're not grunge, but they're not glam metal either. More like a heavier version of Candlebox.

I also got Rush "Chronicles" and the first three Queensryche albums off BMG. Rush is awesome...the drummer is so precise and the drumming is so clear. Red Barchetta is a good one to listen to if you want to hear clean drumming.

All three of the Queensryche ones are great...they're a progressive metal band from the 80s with deep, rich lyrics and one of the best rock vocalists ever. This band is highly underrated.

I don't really listen to the radio much anymore, so I'm not exactly caught up with what's current, although the new stuff from NIN is really good.

Lately I've been on more of a mellow kick, listening to a lot more college rock type stuff, especially Jump, Little Children. I'm not sure how popular they are in the rest of the country, but they're really big on the North Carolina college scene. Sadly they just broke up, I guess because all their fans are college kids who became their fans by pirating their music and never bought their albums.

I try to be eclectic. Besides Jump, the last album I bought was Mos Def's "The New Danger." He's a much better overall musician than most other artists in the rap/hip hop genre that I've heard. And his music's political, which I love. It's a huge reason why Metallica is my favorite band (their old stuff anyway, some of the new.) Other stuff I like tends to just be fun rock, like The Who and Queen, and for newer stuff, Coheed and Cambria (avatar) and Motion City Soundtrack.

Lately, my usual U2, but focused on their '90s work (Acthung Baby (my favorite album), Zooropa, Passengers Orig. Soundtracks Vol. 1, and Pop)...

also some Rolling Stones (Stripped, 40 Licks, vintage albums like Let it Bleed), The Who, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Dave Matthews Band, Foo Fighters, Sonja Dada, Sigur Ros, Paul Oakenfold.

Some newer bands I've been listening to lately include The Arcade Fire, The Killers, and British Sea Power..

Speaking of which, I think I'm going to make myself a CD based on this genre...

I'm thinking Loverboy, Boston, Kiss, Chicago, Kansas, Rush, Bon Jovi, Def Leppard, Journey.. Am I missing anybody good?

interesting mix of bands, some are prog rock and some are pop metal

I just wanted to say something about Chicago. Early Chicago, like Chicago Transit Authority and Chicago II were the best. Chicago with Terry Kath?Cath ? the guitar player and vocalist was a whole nother animal than the soft girly pop rock band they became after his death. Songs like 25or6to4 are Terry Cath Chicago, more edgy and power drivin. Wailin guitar with a horn section, yea ! Earliest Rush was very noteworthy, not that later Rush was not as well. The very first Journey album did not have Steve Perry singing and had a song or two that were very progressive for of thier time.

Missin anybody good ? Well I know alot of people dont agree with me but Sam Halen is the best.....5150 & OU812 were excellent in my opinion but I've been into Sammy since Montrose release in 73......long before we heard of Eddie, then when I heard Sammy was joinin Eddie I knew I would like it. Favorite - Mine all Mine from OU812 & 5150 - greatest guitar riff like ever dude, though the song may not be for the conventional ear!

Very obscure - Crack the Sky Safety in Numbers or their first "Crack the Sky" Ice and Nuclear Apathy are their trademarks

Missin anybody good ? Well I know alot of people dont agree with me but Sam Halen is the best.....5150 & OU812 were excellent in my opinion but I've been into Sammy since Montrose release in 73......long before we heard of Eddie, then when I heard Sammy was joinin Eddie I knew I would like it. Favorite - Mine all Mine from OU812 & 5150 - greatest guitar riff like ever dude, though the song may not be for the conventional ear!

I'm a Van Hagar fan too. A lot of people say you can only like one or the other...bah! My favorite song on OU812 is Source of Infection, but Mine All Mine, Cabo Wabo, and Sucker in a 3 Piece are all great...hell, the whole album is good. And "Love Walks In" off 5150 is one of my favorite VH ballads. "Get Up" is a great one to drive on the interstate blasting.

I'm a Van Hagar fan too.  A lot of people say you can only like one or the other...bah!  My favorite song on OU812 is Source of Infection, but Mine All Mine, Cabo Wabo, and Sucker in a 3 Piece are all great...hell, the whole album is good.  And "Love Walks In" off 5150 is one of my favorite VH ballads.  "Get Up" is a great one to drive on the interstate blasting.

I'm a Sammy-era fan also...though I always enjoy 1984...hearing that album takes me back to my freshman year in HS when that was the most popular albums in rotation in HS cafeteria at lunch...

Guest YellowJacket894

Stone Temple Pilots, Mother Love Bone... The usual when it comes to me.

But, I have been listening to loads of Eric Clapton, Cream, SRV, and - go on laugh - John Mayer's blues project. His pop stuff is junk, but he can play the blues like a mo'. Hell, Buddy Guy said he was proud of him and Mayer even jams with Guy, so...

Edited by YellowJacket894

I definately seem to be in the minority here. I've been listening to Chamillionare, and G-Unit lately. That's what happens when you have a brother 5 years older than you that listens to rap, and influenced you from an early age. Not that I'm complaining or anything.

Edited by CaddyXLR-V

I bought a couple used CDs lately...Saigon Kick "The Lizard" and Britny Fox "Britny Fox." Britny Fox is a hair band, but Saigon Kick is kind of its own genre...they came about during the transition to grunge in the 90s, so they're not grunge, but they're not glam metal either.  More like a heavier version of Candlebox.

Saigon Kick was just a harder hairband.

I also got ...the first three Queensryche albums

You got "Queensryche," "Warning," and "Rage for Order" on a record club?

Quite a bit of blues.... A local station here has an EXCELLENT blues show that I'm absolutely mad about.

Other than that... Broke out the classic MetallicA for the first time in a bit... The new KoRn CD "See You on the Other Side" (Their best work in a while IMO--and I'm getting ready for their concert in a month-YAY!) Lamb of God, I'm in love with Randy Blythe's voice and he's an EXCELLENT songwriter! Pantera, "The Great Southern Trendkill" not much of a Pantera fan but this IMO is their BEST work. Slipknot, the live album. I lost the faith when "Subliminal Verses" came out, but the new live album is B-R-U-T-A-L!!!

Ummm.... Let's see, what else? Soilwork: "Figure number 5" (Nice swedish metal for those of you who don't know) Static X "Start A War" (One of the perenial favorites of my collection) DevilDriver (Getting ready for their concert in 2 WEEKS!!!) Dry Kill Logic; the first CD. Can't wait 'til their new one comes out... SOON! I'm also spinning Dope; "Life" and lots of American Head Charge.

This year is going to be outstanding for metal! Korn has already dropped, Dry Kill Logic will drop soon, Godsmack's new album is dropping in April; it's supposed to be bluesy. March will be Rob Zombie month, Lamb of God will hit in summer supposedly and MetallicA is rumored to be cooking something up for fall. These are just SOME of the highlights.

I've already missed the chance to see Disturbed live--AGAIN, dammit! And because of exams it doesn't look like I'm going to be able to see the Rob Zombie tour :( Oh well, here's hoping that they tour again this summer!

(Sorry to digress so much--music is my second biggest hobby :))

I know I'm in the minority here, but I'm into Techno/Trance/House/Vocal Trance/Euro music.

Cascada

Tiesto

Lasgo

Milk Inc.

Sylver

Dance Nation

DHT

Lucas Prata

Special D

Dan J

Judy Torres

The Prodigy

(off the top of my head...)

What bonus tracks?

All Queensryche's albums from the debut through Promised Land were remastered a few years ago and the threw on some live and never-released tracks. The only remastered ones I have are Queensryche, The Warning, Rage for Order, and Empire...so I don't know for sure what's on the others, but here's what they added to those four:

"Queensryche" - live tracks recorded in Tokyo, 8/5/84

Nightrider

Prophecy

Deliverance

Child of Fire

En Force

Blinded

The Lady Wore Black

Warning

Take Hold of the Flame

Queen of the Reich

"The Warning"

Prophecy

The Lady Wore Black (live London, 10/20/94)

Take Hold of the Flame (live Madison, WI 5/10/91)

"Rage For Order"

Gonna Get Close to You (12" Version)

The Killing Words (live London, 10/20/94)

I Dream in Infrared (1991 Acoustical remix)

Walk in the Shadows (live Madison, WI 5/10/91)

"Empire"

Last Time in Paris (unreleased)

Scarborough Fair (unreleased)

Dirty Lil Secret (unreleased)

"Empire"

Last Time in Paris (unreleased)

Scarborough Fair (unreleased)

Dirty Lil Secret (unreleased)

I have all Queensryche albums/CDs with the exception of their most recent studio disc. I'm waiting for Mindcrime II which will be released next month and I'm ready to be disappointed (based on the one review I heard).

I have studio releases with "Scarborough Faire" and the movie soundtrack with "Last Time in Paris," so they were both previously released. I don't know that I have "Dirty Lil Secret" but I do have Operation: Livecrime and Live Evolution which has most of the live tracks you mentioned.

I have all Queensryche albums/CDs with the exception of their most recent studio disc. I'm waiting for Mindcrime II which will be released next month and I'm ready to be disappointed (based on the one review I heard).

I have studio releases with "Scarborough Faire" and the movie soundtrack with "Last Time in Paris," so they were both previously released. I don't know that I have "Dirty Lil Secret" but I do have Operation: Livecrime and Live Evolution which has most of the live tracks you mentioned.

I have all their albums from Queensryche through Promised Land, along with the Greatest Hits. I've heard Hear in the Now Frontier, Q2K, and Tribe aren't very good, but I haven't really ever listened to them so I don't know.

Do you have a link to the Mindcrime II review? I heard a couple live bootleg tracks from the album and they sounded good to me, but from the limited amount I've heard off Tribe and Q2K, I'm not really impressed with current 'ryche. They seem to have lost their metal edge.

Edited by mustang84

Do you have a link to the Mindcrime II review?  I heard a couple live bootleg tracks from the album and they sounded good to me, but from the limited amount I've heard off Tribe and Q2K, I'm not really impressed with current 'ryche.  They seem to have lost their metal edge.

The review was on the air with Eddie Trunk (www.knac.com on Thursday morning 10a-1p est). Try the Queensryche website for further information (www.queensryche.com).

They may have "lost their metal edge" and they definitely lost their guitarist, which may have gone hand in hand.

The song "Kingdom of Lies" by Folk Implosion is on my stereo right now.

PLUS... anything by Portishead rules this planet.

"Dare"... Gorillaz.

Songs that make me drive fast. Songs that move me, make my tears blur my eyesight, a cry/laugh welling up of my heart.

"Karma"... Alicia Keys. I could go on.

Went into the office last night for 3 hours.

Snatched someone's Tracy Chapman CD.

Listened to her husky voice for a couple of hours and thought how her biceps would look better on me.

Weird? I guess.

"Fast Car" says so many things.  Great song.

Maybe I'm missing it. To me, it's just a story...albeit, a dour one. I actually like "Subcity," "Telling Stories" and "Talking About a Revolution" better.

Maybe I'm missing it.  To me, it's just a story...albeit, a dour one.  I actually like "Subcity," "Telling Stories" and "Talking About a Revolution" better.

I prefer "Talking About a Revolution" to the more commonly known "Fast Car." Living Colour (the musical act not the TV show) did an excellent cover of "Revolution."