Sign in to follow this  
andy82471

Lexus struggles in Japan against

54 posts in this topic

http://yahoo.businessweek.com/autos/conten...0215_597701.htm

Wow how ironic. The Americans love Lexus more than the Japanese.

Well, in Japan, Lexus is a domestic...less cachet than an imported luxury car (BMW, M-B, Cadillac, etc). And that these cars were sold as Toyotas recently (the Lexus name was just launched in Japan last year) hurts them...

I don't think Infiniti is in Japan yet, is it (still NA only, I think).

My theory again: the grass is greener on the neighbours lawn.

I know very well my friends around me like imports just because it isn't a domestic brand.

Infiniti isn't specific to NA, BTW. I've seen them elsewhere.

Edited by ToniCipriani

oneIozz    0

http://yahoo.businessweek.com/autos/conten...0215_597701.htm

Wow how ironic. The Americans love Lexus more than the Japanese.

It's not that surprising really... Lexus models are just high end Toyotas in Japan (Soarer, Aristo, Harrier, Altezza are SC430, GS430, RX330 & IS300 respectively)

That might have changed with the redesign, but BMW & Mercedes are huge there. Lexus would have some work to do to make serious inroads in the lux market.

I don't blame them either... I would sooner buy an M5 than I would a V-series Caddy, for example.

regfootball    234

many of the 'rich' and successful' people in this country are real poseurs and have no real world brain, they are simply followers and simply gravitate to whatever their well to do buddies tell them to get.

lots of Americans are not capable of independent thinking, and Lexus more than any other brand cultivates a legion of followers based upon marketing and little else.

Maybe we are not giving the Japanese enough credit here. Maybe the bland Japanese can even recognize even when something is TOO bland. The ultimate irony.

I parked next to a new Lexus GS the other day that had a dark colored interior. People rip the STS for a cheap interior...the interior of that Lexus looked horrifically cheap to me actually. Very crappy looking plastic.

Perhaps the Japanese are not fooled by an emblem.... they know it's just a jazzed up Toyo-Duh. THe Lexus badges are probably soem kind of runnig joke in Japan, like:

[insert stereotypycal Japanese anime accdent here]

"Suzukimo, How do you get American Businessman to pay 40 million yen more for a toyota than his neighbor?"

"I do not know this riddle Mr. Daihatsu"

"You put Lexus emblem on trunk" *ha-hahahahaha-HA HA, ha ha ...ha! ...........HA!*

Whistler    0

Guess theres also a running joke in Detroit...

"Hey Mr. Lutz, how do you get an American businessman to spend 20-30k more on a GMC truck?"

"Dunno, how"

"Slap on a Caddy badge ahahahahahahahahahahaha!"

Posted Image

Posted Image

Whistler    0

Such would be true with the 1999 Escalade, but such a claim now isn't really accurate.

Likewise, to claim it about any Lexus/Toyota isn't accurate either. The only ones that have anything in common are the ancient Landcruiser/LX470. Even the Camry and ES relationship is almost unrecognizable now if you sit in/drive both cars.

Flybrian    0

BTW is there any way to edit your posts on this forum? I tried editing my last one and accidently deleted it...

Yup. Just go ahead and use the Posted Image button. on the toolbar at the bottom of your post.

Perhaps the Japanese are not fooled by an emblem.... they know it's just a jazzed up Toyo-Duh. THe Lexus badges are probably soem kind of runnig  joke in Japan, like:

[insert stereotypycal Japanese anime accdent here]

"Suzukimo, How do you get American Businessman to pay 40 million yen more for a toyota than his neighbor?"

"I do not know this riddle Mr. Daihatsu"

"You put Lexus emblem on trunk" *ha-hahahahaha-HA HA, ha ha ...ha! ...........HA!*

Neither are people in Hong Kong, or more or less most Asian countries as I see it. People drive parallel imported Toyota Harriers instead of the officially imported Lexus RXes. Same car, much cheaper. In fact the Harrier has a cooler badge than the RX, I think.

As a matter of fact those are the only Lexuses I see around back home. People are not fond of the sedans. I've only seen one old beater LS driven by a teacher at the school I used to work. MB and BMW are much bigger.

Edited by ToniCipriani

CARBIZ    1

Part of the problem around here is that ALL brands are imported. So-called "domestic" brands are really foreign as well - even if we do consider Americans close cousins! NOw that both Toyota and Honda assemble some of their vehicles here in Ontario, many people who don't know much about the culture and history of autos in North America don't know/don't care that the Big Three have a history and tradition in Canada - hence, "domestic", whereas, the Asians are recent interlopers.

Anyway, that would help to explain why GM only has 16% market share in the GTA. And, yes, I agree that the Japanese are probably succumbing to the same type of snobbery.

titan    0

I don't think Infiniti is in Japan yet, is it (still NA only, I think).

Infiniti's in Korea, Thailand... they'll be in Japan, and then Europe, very shortly.

Good, maybe even Japan will turn on their own junk and start supporting GM. Make their residents regret Pearl Harbor with a product backlash. HAHAHA

America can wipe the floor with the Japanese industry, just don't tell Consumer Reports :P They were just morons for neglecting the Cavalier when we marketed it over there a while back. I think if we actually gave it another try over there, they would wake up and realize our superiority over their chintzy garbage.

Good to see their own products getting rejected like so many blind import loyalists have done here.

To those motivated to respond to portions of that, I would choose not to for clear reasons.

I apologize if I hinted at anything offensive, I was merely joking about the whole PH thing. I wasn't alive to experience it but what I really meant was that payback for their wrongful infiltration into our country over the years is due. It's nice to see them rejecting "The home Teams" products like so many do here in the US. I just typed it so quickly, I didn't think about it being offensive. I'll remember that next time.

There's no mystique in Japan for Lexus.  The people there know that they are just Toyotas and they are not fooled, like Americans are. :banghead:

That is SO true. :deadhorse: Haha even their own country realizes that Lexass is nothing more than a glorified Toyota Tercel and yet we foolish Americans buy them up like Crispy Creme donuts. Like they say, A sucker is born every minute. That sucker just happened to skip over a superior Caddy or Buick and went drooling all over their lexass dealership and paid too much $.

Makes me sick

Maybe when Buik gets some serious sedans again with RWD.... <_<

Intrepidation    846

That is SO true.  :deadhorse: Haha even their own country realizes that Lexass is nothing more than a glorified Toyota Tercel and yet we foolish Americans buy them up like Crispy Creme donuts. Like they say, A sucker is born every minute. That sucker just happened to skip over a superior Caddy or Buick and went drooling all over their lexass dealership and paid too much $.

Makes me sick

Caddy? yes way superior (except the CTS' interior) Buick? HAHAHA If there's one thing Lexus can do is build a better buick...with Japanese sheetmetal. Come to think of it Lexus stands for everything Buick should but doesn't. Reiable, comfortable, not the most exciting, cruiser, RWD...yeah

Flybrian    0

Caddy? yes way superior (except the CTS' interior) Buick? HAHAHA If there's one thing Lexus can do is build a better buick...with Japanese sheetmetal. Come to think of it Lexus stands for everything Buick should but doesn't. Reiable, comfortable, not the most exciting, cruiser, RWD...yeah

The only affordable boulevardier with a Lexus badge is front-wheel drive.

Like they say, A sucker is born every minute. That sucker just happened to skip over a superior Caddy or Buick and went drooling all over their lexass dealership and paid too much $.

Makes me sick

Hate to bring back a month old thread but it may have some kick left in it.

I'd rather buy a Lexus over a Buick anyday. Regardless of the price, its just a much nicer car. I dont care what you will say, a IS350 is more fun to drive then the comperable Buick. Ok so ive never driven the Buick but I will rest assured its nice as nice. Why the Japs dont buy them? I dont know, but the IS is also better then any Toyota badged car I know of.

That is SO true. Haha even their own country realizes that Lexass is nothing more than a glorified Toyota Tercel and yet we foolish Americans buy them up like Crispy Creme donuts.

Hah, I guess that is why the 'glorified' cavy sold like hotcakes in Japan...

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this