Sign in to follow this  
regfootball

"ACURA CSX"

35 posts in this topic

Freekin' pathetic, but I expect nothing less from this crappy company.

Further proof that Canadian auto reviews are worthless on account of the whole "politeness" thing that prevents them from writing criticisms on paper...instead making one have to read between the lines. Too ambiguous IMO...

OK so here's a fact: not every car is good. Some actually suck. A lot. To Canadian writers: a car is an inanimate object that does not have feelings. You can rip it if you want. I promise it won't go all Christine on you.

To Canadian writers: a car is an inanimate object that does not have feelings.  You can rip it if you want.  I promise it won't go all Christine on you.

Oh yes Croc, but when car journalists rip apart a GM product, you consider that unfair.

Oh yes Croc, but when car journalists rip apart a GM product, you consider that unfair.

Umm, Croc rips GM products himself sometimes.

Further proof that Canadian auto reviews are worthless on account of the whole "politeness" thing that prevents them from writing criticisms on paper...instead making one have to read between the lines.  Too ambiguous IMO...

OK so here's a fact: not every car is good.  Some actually suck.  A lot.  To Canadian writers: a car is an inanimate object that does not have feelings.  You can rip it if you want.  I promise it won't go all Christine on you.

if it gets good mpg, and is cheap, Canadians are all over it.

i don't ever want to hear any comments ever again from anyone about GM and their rebadging their cars. this proves that Honda does the same crap. TSX/*cough* accord anyone?

Umm, Croc rips GM products himself sometimes.

Yea, Polish_Kris...why don't you check out that Lucerne thread? Moron. :rolleyes:

i don't ever want to hear any comments ever again from anyone about GM and their rebadging their cars.  this proves that Honda does the same crap.  TSX/*cough* accord anyone?

Sorry, reg, I am an equal-opportunity bitcher. I think it's horrible when Acura does it, Pontiac, etc. The only time I give it a pass is with Mercury because I like Mercury's styling vocabulary much more than I like Ford's, though admittedly Ford's has been pretty good lately. Also, the pricing with Ford and Mercury is nearly identical.

i don't ever want to hear any comments ever again from anyone about GM and their rebadging their cars.  this proves that Honda does the same crap.  TSX/*cough* accord anyone?

Well as long as they aren't doing it here, I don't care. And yes you're still going to hear comments about how GM rebadges their cars. Let's see, Honda of Canada rebadges ONE car, and you think they're on the same level as GM when it comes to rebadgings?

At least they used the JDM style head & tail lights.

Thats not as bad as Ford, did anyone relize that Mercury's line-up are all rebadged fords.

Mercury vehicles are not straight rebadges. The changes are pretty minimal, but there are changes in sheetmetal/styling...To me it's only a rebadge if the two cars' only points of difference are 100% interchangeable parts (same headlight/taillight shape with different detailing, body colored vs black rub strips, etc) and badging.

Mercury vehicles are not straight rebadges.  The changes are pretty minimal, but there are changes in sheetmetal/styling...To me it's only a rebadge if the two cars' only points of difference are 100% interchangeable parts (same headlight/taillight shape with different detailing, body colored vs black rub strips, etc) and badging.

Enter Grand Marquis/Crown Victoria.

The only real 'rebadges' in the GM lineup today are the CSVs and TB/Envoy/Rainier. Chevy/GMC in general gets a pass for reasons discussed many times in multiple threads.

Actually, I'd say the 360s aren't really rebadges. They're quite different in terms of sheetmetal and styling. The Cobalt/G5/Pursuit is a rebadge, as are the CSVs. GMC and Chevy used to be rebadges, but I'd say only the Canyon and Colorado are now. The Yukon and Tahoe front ends are quite different.

The TB/Envoy/Rainier are not straight rebadges. They do not share any sheetmetal except for roof panels. Lutz said that he didn't believe that it was worth GM's while to spend such a large amount of money on product differentiation for those kind of programs when they all ended up looking essentially the same anyways. EDIT: Northie beat me to it.

You are right about the GM/CV, though that is a pretty recent development. They used to have differentiated exterior styling until the last major redesign (1998?)

Edited by Croc

Yeah, my bad about the 360s. See? I fell into that trap, too. So its just down the CSVs...no biggie.

GMCs I'd argue on the whole are rebadges today. Granted, six months from now I will not be saying so. I believe besides the 355s, only the Express/Savana will be rebadges at that point but...who cares?

So much for the 'king of rebadges' argument.

Yea, GM's come a long way.  I still think they need to go farther, though.

In terms of what? Individual design? Sure. Distinction between platform-mates? Aside from those mentioned, not one GM car looks like another that rides the same chassies.

Well, look at the W-body Chinese LaCrosse. It has a straight beltline and a straight door-sill. The Grand Prix and US LaCrosse share the curved beltline and door sill. The profiles are still pretty similar. I mention the Chinese LaCrosse because it's proof that even using the W-body platform, greater styling differentiation (particularly profile styling) can be achieved.