CHARGER SRT

regfootball

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Um, according to their respective Build n' Price sites, the Charger SRT-8 starts at $38,095 while the 300 SRT-8 starts at $42,695. I still find it stupid you have to pay even more to get a decent sound system (6-speakers?) or side airbags at this price level.

You forget the dealer "price/market adjustments".

no, the MSRP of the one I saw was close 44k.

there you go, there's your AFFORDABLE RWD performance car.

there's a used 05 GTO by my house. 4,000 miles on it and a 6 speed manual. I'll take that and save 20 grand.

Edited by regfootball

ill refrain from saying something just to not start an argument and for the sake of not bitching

you don't think that's too expensive for a Dodge? Its just a pumped Hemi with bigger brakes and more stickers to go with the go man go

the audi S4 is only a couple grand more......

Edited by regfootball

you don't think that's too expensive for a Dodge?  Its just a pumped Hemi with bigger brakes and more stickers to go with the go man go

the audi S4 is only a couple grand more......

Whoa whoa......hold up. First of all, the Daytona version has nothing to do with the SRT-8. The Daytona version has the Go ManGo paint job with the stickers. The Daytona is just an R/T with special paint, stickers, wing, grille, seats, interior upgrades, and the Road and Track (suspension/exhaust/brakes) package.

And I don't know where that dealer came up with $44K for the SRT-8......because I just priced one on the website completely loaded, even with the extra available accessories.....and I could only get the sticker up to $42,245.

The SRT-8 has many modifications beyond the R/T and Daytona models. But what kind of car should it be compared to? A GTO.....which is a smaller, foreign platform (lower cost because they make a bunch of these in OZ), coupe? A Corvette......which is a high performance all out sports car 2-seater? A Cadillac STS-v....a CTS-V? An M5? I don't know if there is anything out there that it directly compares with. What other 425 HP 4-door vehicle can you get for $38K moderatly optioned, or for $42K fully optioned.....that will hold your whole family comfortably and get you from 0-60 mph in about 5 seconds? The CTS-V has 400 HP, does 0-60 in about 5 seconds, and bases for $12K more. But then I would argue that the more expensive 300C SRT-8 would go up against the CTS-V.

So again......what other large 4-door sedan can you get with 424 HP, for $38K, or even $42K?? For $42K you get the SRT-8 with a moonroof, heated seats, DVD Navgation, U-Connect, 6-speaker Boston Acoustic sound systen with amplifier, and side air bags. You won't find anything from Ford, GM, or any of the Asians.

Edited by BrewSwillis

Um, according to their respective Build n' Price sites, the Charger SRT-8 starts at $38,095 while the 300 SRT-8 starts at $42,695. I still find it stupid you have to pay even more to get a decent sound system (6-speakers?) or side airbags at this price level.

I don't know where you are looking, but the 6-speaker Boston Acoustics system is standard on the SRT-8, with options for an 11-speaker Kicker sytem with a Kicker subwoofer, or the 6-speaker BA system with the Nav radio.

It's as simple as looking at the website to find this out.

Like most performance cars of Dodge ilk, its mostly engine with a total lack of sophistication or desireability beyond it. Fine for some, but not for me. Look at what kind of package you get with the GTO in terms of interior accruments and equipment.

The GTO has NO AVAILABLE:

- Side air bags

- Heated seats

- Moonroof

- Navigation

- Larger than 18" wheels

How can this have more/better "interior accruments and equipment" than the Charger. The Charger has everything the GTO has and much more!

:stupid:

The GTO has a Blaupunkt stereo system, which is worlds better than the junky Boston Acoustics 6-speaker. I've heard it, it sucks. I don't understand why you'd have to pay extra for the speaker upgrade and side airbags in a car of that price range ($40k+).

Huge wheels aren't an outright advantage unless you're Xibit, so...

As far as the moonroof and heated seat options, I agree those are deficiencies, but ones that can be forgiven for a near $10,000 price advantage. Sit in an SRT-8 and sit in a GTO and its obvious which one will be more enjoyable day after day.

in my opinion, the SRT8 Charger is not worth any more than about a 38k sticker, after all, its just a Dodge, which isn't terribly high on the food chain. You hit the 40's and you can get real performance cars like 330's.....all those luxury marques. I know for a fact that the CTSv's can sometimes be had new in the mid forties. Corvettes are darn close and the Mustang GT is far cheaper. A Mallett Solstice is a real option there too. A good lightly used 5 series or M5 is even an option. And its a LOT easier to look at.

Edited by regfootball

The GTO has a Blaupunkt stereo system, which is worlds better than the junky Boston Acoustics 6-speaker. I've heard it, it sucks. I don't understand why you'd have to pay extra for the speaker upgrade and side airbags in a car of that price range ($40k+).

As far as the moonroof and heated seat options, I agree those are deficiencies, but ones that can be forgiven for a near $10,000 price advantage. Sit in an SRT-8 and sit in a GTO and its obvious which one will be more enjoyable day after day.

Depends what you are using it for. Hauling kids around??? Id say the Charger SRT-8. Racing on a track?? Probably the GTO with the stick.

Who really cares if the 6-speaker system is standard? If you do care, then you can spend the extra money to get the 11 speaker Kicker system......and if you don't care, then save money by keeping the base system. The GTO has no options because they just import fully optioned ones from OZ. Where's the GTO's Nav system??

Again GTO vs Charger SRT-8 = Apples to Oranges.

The GTO has NO AVAILABLE:

- Side air bags

- Heated seats

- Moonroof

- Navigation

- Larger than 18" wheels

How can this have more/better "interior accruments and equipment" than the Charger.  The Charger has everything the GTO has and much more!

:stupid:

Not only that, but pretty soon the GTO won't be available at all...

in my opinion, the SRT8 Charger is not worth any more than about a 38k sticker, after all, its just a Dodge, which isn't terribly high on the food chain.  You hit the 40's and you can get real performance cars like 330's.....all those luxury marques.  I know for a fact that the CTSv's can sometimes be had new in the mid forties.  Corvettes are darn close and the Mustang GT is far cheaper.  A Mallett Solstice is a real option there too.  A good lightly used 5 series or M5 is even an option.  And its a LOT easier to look at.

The Charger is faster and way better looking than a cookie cutter bland 330. Cheaper and more aggressive looking than a CTSV. Anyone who thinks it doesn't handle has never driven one.

""Man I can't believe how much the Denali is... man for my money I would get the GTO to be faster and save my money..."" - Sarcasm off

Comparing the GTO to the Charger SRT-8 is a joke..

Why? Because the GTO kicks the Charger's ass? The Charger has a laughable interior for the price, while the GTO's is actually very nice. About the only thing the Charger has over the GTO is more seats and more rear legroom. Other than that, there's little reason to spend $40k+ on an SRT-8 when you can get a GTO for $30k.

Why? Because the GTO kicks the Charger's ass? The Charger has a laughable interior for the price, while the GTO's is actually very nice. About the only thing the Charger has over the GTO is more seats and more rear legroom. Other than that, there's little reason to spend $40k+ on an SRT-8 when you can get a GTO for $30k.

:lol:

I don't know what magazines or tests you guys read, but the GTO can't even beat the 300C SRT-8. I know there is a more current Motor Trend test with the Charger SRT-8 vs the GTO, but I can't find it on the MT site. However, I did find a February 2005 test between the GTO, 300C SRT-8, and the CTS-V.

The portly (425 lbs more) 300C SRT-8 beats the GTO in almost every performance test they performed:

0-60

1/4 mile

Braking

Slalom :huh:

and Skidpad :lol:

The GTO won the figure 8 test, by only 0.2 sec.

The lighter GTO coupe should be ashamed of itself that a bloated brick of a car outperforms it in almost every aspect of performance testing!

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedan/...son/index7.html

I'm not sure how a 4200 pound whale handles........

I'll refrain from saying much more than I think the Charger SRT-8 is an AMAZING car, and unless you've driven or ridden in one, you have NO place to talk.

Similarly, who in the hell starts a thread about a car being worth it's $44k price when it can't even be stickered that high? Enough said...

Similarly, who in the hell starts a thread about a car being worth it's $44k price when it can't even be stickered that high?  Enough said...

No, I believe he's right in that sticker price. Remember, the Dodge site says one thing, but the dealership can set whatever price they choose. I wouldn't be surprised to see ridiculous markups that totally devalue any 'bargain' out of these cars.

No, I believe he's right in that sticker price. Remember, the Dodge site says one thing, but the dealership can set whatever price they choose. I wouldn't be surprised to see ridiculous markups that totally devalue any 'bargain' out of these cars.

What price a dealer sets has nothing to do with it. Very, very, very few people have ever paid that, and of those who did, it's a tiny minority of stupidity.

Kind of like starting a whole thread on a stock Solstice being worth $40k just because a couple of dealers are asking that... :duh:

Now discussing the car alone, and it's merits, that's totally acceptable on the other hand...at least a few people are doing that.

Edited by caddycruiser

What price a dealer sets has nothing to do with it.  Very, very, very few people have ever paid that, and of those who did, it's a tiny minority of stupidity.

Kind of like starting a whole thread on a stock Solstice being worth $40k just because a couple of dealers are asking that... :duh:

I think the original premise of this thread was indicating that a Charger SRT-8 is not worth a sticker of $44k, to which I would largely agree.

LET ME CLARIFY....the MSRP on the monroney from the factory was only a few hundred shy of 44 grand.

I think the original premise of this thread was indicating that a Charger SRT-8 is not worth a sticker of $44k, to which I would largely agree.

again, correct. We're talking Dodge.....stratus, neon, intrepid. the charger is like 20 grand more than that. That's just too ambitious.

Edited by regfootball

again, correct.  We're talking Dodge.....stratus, neon, intrepid.  the charger is like 20 grand more than that.  That's just too ambitious.

Of course a Charger SRT8 is going to be $20,000 more than those other cars. I would expect it to be because it is a better car in base form, let alone the top-of-the-line model.

That would be like saying the Impala SS is rediculous after looking at the Aveo, Cobalt or Malibu.

The GTO would handle a lot better than it does if it didn't have the craptacular tires from what I've read, but who knows.

We can fight all we want, but to each their own. If you want to compare apples to apples, it's probably best to compare a Charger R/T to a GTO because the price is basically the same; if you want to compare an SRT-8 to a GTO then you might as well put $5k in upgrades on the GTO so the prices are the same. I would certainly hope a $43k performance vehicle could beat a $32k performance vehicle, but put a few goodies on the $32k vehicle and the $43k vehicle will get its ass handed to it.

Sorry....but in this case, GTO is WAY outclassed by the SRT-8.....

We were at the usual Saturday Crystal Cove car show and there was a GTO there....and 2 Charger SRT-8s....and the SRT-8s had WAY more visual appeal....the front end looks "meaner" and you gotta love the huge wheels and tires.

I agree with BrewSillis....there's nothing to really compare it to at $42K. AND, there's nothing "crude" about the Charger (or 300, or Magnum) SRT-8.

:lol:

I don't know what magazines or tests you guys read, but the GTO can't even beat the 300C SRT-8.  I know there is a more current Motor Trend test with the Charger SRT-8 vs the GTO, but I can't find it on the MT site.  However, I did find a February 2005 test between the GTO, 300C SRT-8, and the CTS-V.

The portly (425 lbs more) 300C SRT-8 beats the GTO in almost every performance test they performed:

0-60

1/4 mile

Braking

Slalom :huh:

and Skidpad :lol:

The GTO won the figure 8 test, by only 0.2 sec.

The lighter GTO coupe should be ashamed of itself that a bloated brick of a car outperforms it in almost every aspect of performance testing!

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedan/...son/index7.html

Better yet.....read the recent C&D comparo of the CLS55/M5/STS-v and then look at the sidebar where they tested the Charger SRT-8 for $30K+ less money than the other three....look at it's track times compared to them too.....

There's nothing laughable about Charger's interior.....WTF are you thinking? Take a closer look and feel next time....

The seats are AWESOME (so are the GTO's) and the Charger dash has about the same amount of soft-touch dash and door panel trim as the GTO....and the GTO has just as much hard plastic on the lower part of the dash as the Charger does.

I find Charger's switchgear, however, superior to GTO's.

regfootball,

if youre gonna bitch about how the car is that much and its not worth it-----dont buy it. that or buy a cheaper one but i understand your constant need to give DC a thumbs down, wether or not it is a very succesful car.

There's nothing laughable about Charger's interior.....WTF are you thinking?  Take a closer look and feel next time....

The seats are AWESOME (so are the GTO's) and the Charger dash has about the same amount of soft-touch dash and door panel trim as the GTO....and the GTO has just as much hard plastic on the lower part of the dash as the Charger does.

I find Charger's switchgear, however, superior to GTO's.

No way that the Charger has as much soft-touch material as the GTO, especially not on the door panel trim:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Please show me what materials are as soft-touch as the leather in the GTO:

http://www.seriouswheels.com/pics-2004/200...or-1280x960.jpg

See the blue? All of the upper blue on the door panel is leather. The Charger has average-grade plastic.

It may not be hard and brittle, but it's not nearly as nice as the GTO's.

I agree both have great seats, and the swithgear may be better in the Charger... I didn't really pay that close of attention.

I've never been fond of the interior of the high end 300Cs. The ergonomics and visibility are poor, the materials feel rubbery. I don't see why a charger would be that much different.

The ergonomics and interior materials of the GTO seem top notch.... but the whole design seems dated.

regfootball,

if youre gonna bitch about how the car is that much and its not worth it-----dont buy it. that or buy a cheaper one but i understand your constant need to give DC a thumbs down, wether or not it is a very succesful car.

this topic is about whether the SRT is overpriced for what you get. I created the topic. My vote is yes. IF your disagree, fine...you're likely in the minority.

For 44k, the interior should be nicer to be on par with Audis and the styling should be much better for a car in that price range.

I could agree with a 38k or maybe even 39,500 sticker on this car. but the 44k is a bit too much.

Edited by regfootball

this topic is about whether the SRT is overpriced for what you get.  I created the topic.  My vote is yes.  IF your disagree, fine...you're likely in the minority.

For 44k, the interior should be nicer to be on par with Audis and the styling should be much better for a car in that price range.

So if it's "overpriced"....that must mean there is something else out there that is not "overpriced" for you to compare it to.

So........for the grand prize: What is the appropriately priced 425 HP sedan that has the same features, and costs less than $42, 250 (or even $44K)????

:scratchchin:

I'll do Audi for you:

2006 S4 (which is much smaller) with 340 HP (85 less HP) costs $46,400 base

2006 A6 4.2L 335 HP (90 less HP) costs $53,770 base

So if it's "overpriced"....that must mean there is something else out there that is not "overpriced" for you to compare it to.

So........for the grand prize:  What is the appropriately priced 425 HP sedan that has the same features, and costs less than $42, 250  (or even $44K)????

:scratchchin:

I'll do Audi for you:

2006 S4 (which is much smaller) with 340 HP (85 less HP) costs  $46,400 base

2006 A6 4.2L 335 HP (90 less HP) costs $53,770 base

S4 has AWD and a nice interior

S4 has AWD and a nice interior

S4 is classified as a "compact" car.......the Charger is classified as a "large" car. And yet the the S4 still costs $3K more!

Who pays $46K for a compact car? That interior better be made out of baby seal skin or something. I'd would have to say that the S4 is overpriced at $46K for a compact car. It should have much more size and room for $46K! :AH-HA_wink:

just to be a d*ck...for $46k you can have a kick butt 07 Tahoe LT3 that has a lot nicer interior than the Dodge, will have a better re-sale value, can haul ass in a horse trailer and you can look down at all the people sitting in the Charger SRT-8 wondering where the sunlight went when you pulled up next to them.

I do agree, that for $44 large, there are nicer cars out there than the SRT-8. However, I have to say that the car is pretty cool, if not a bit overrought with billboard stripes and "DAYTONA" badging. Looks cool in Banana yellow - still would not buy one though.

And to all of you that say the GTO does not have heated seats : $199 for the kit to do that...Sunroof : $1,500.00 into any car...Nav - what does a Tom Tom cost??? Can I put one in for less than $18k??? I bet.

just to be a d*ck...for $46k you can have a kick butt 07 Tahoe LT3 that has a lot nicer interior than the Dodge, will have a better re-sale value, can haul ass in a horse trailer and you can look down at all the people sitting in the Charger SRT-8 wondering where the sunlight went when you pulled up next to them. 

I do agree, that for $44 large, there are nicer cars out there than the SRT-8.  However, I have to say that the car is pretty cool, if not a bit overrought with billboard stripes and "DAYTONA" badging.  Looks cool in Banana yellow - still would not buy one though.

And to all of you that say the GTO does not have heated seats : $199 for the kit to do that...Sunroof : $1,500.00 into any car...Nav - what does a Tom Tom cost???  Can I put one in for less than $18k???  I bet.

A Daytona Charger is not an SRT-8 :banghead: ....a Daytona is an upgraded R/T :

Daytona

Posted Image

SRT-8

Posted Image

Edited by BrewSwillis

No way that the Charger has as much soft-touch material as the GTO, especially not on the door panel trim:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Please show me what materials are as soft-touch as the leather in the GTO:

http://www.seriouswheels.com/pics-2004/200...or-1280x960.jpg

See the blue? All of the upper blue on the door panel is leather. The Charger has average-grade plastic.

It may not be hard and brittle, but it's not nearly as nice as the GTO's.

I agree both have great seats, and the swithgear may be better in the Charger... I didn't really pay that close of attention.

Check again and I think you'll find that the blue trim is soft vinyl, not actual leather. The top portion of the Charger's door (darker color) down to the armrest are soft-touch plastic....the hard portion is the light color that's BELOW the armrest. The GTO has hard plastic on the lower portion too (below the blue.)

But we are really picking nits here.....I find the Charger's interior attractive and nicely trimmed out.....not to say the GTO isn't, just that they are different. MY only beef was with the comments that the Charger's interior is "garbage" or "not befitting it's price" and stuff......

S4 is classified as a "compact" car.......the Charger is classified as a "large" car.  And yet the the S4 still costs $3K more!

Who pays $46K for a compact car?  That interior better be made out of baby seal skin or something.  I'd would have to say that the S4 is overpriced at $46K for a compact car.  It should have much more size and room for $46K! :AH-HA_wink:

......BrewSwillis has a great point......

You could argue this either way......