Bought an Acura

Some of you have followed my new car trades over the past few years:

2001 Alero, 2002 Sentra SE-R, 2004 Grand Prix, 2006 Mariner Premier, 2007 Civic Si, 2008 Sierra WT, 2010 GTI....

The GTI was just too harsh for my taste, so I test drove the '11 Buick Regal, Lacrosse, Acura TSX, and TL.

I researched (but did not drive) Avalon, G37, Lexus ES, Lincoln MKZ.

Now there's a brand new 2010 Acura TL (Tech Pkg) in the garage.

Bold, polarizing styling...yes. But overall, it's not much more dramatic than the '04 Grand Prix.

One factor which attracted me to the TL: it feels like a luxurious, refined version of the GP, which was my favorite car of all time. So here we go! I can now enjoy a luxury brand, and it feels great. The impressive level of equipment for the money, the solid workmanship, the driving dynamics, the transaction price and 0.9% financing offered, and the dealer experience helped seal this deal.

TLDay2.jpg[/img]

post-999-12829098048831.jpg

Boy, you've had quite a few vehicles this past decade!!

The Acura is not my cup of tea, but I'm glad you are enjoying it and found something you like. Best of luck with it and many happy motoring miles!

BTW, what did and didn't you like about the '11 Buick Regal?

I"m guessing since even the lower level turbo isn't out yet, it probably didn't have enough power compared to the TL.

I compared a '10 TSX 4 cyl to the '11 Regal. Although I really like the Regal's looks, some of the interior materials (especially switchgear feel & clunky shift lever movement) made it feel about a half step down from the TSX. Additionally, the Regal's Harmon Kardon sound system was weak and pathetic, compared to TSX's "ELS" system, which thumps, rumbles, and booms with authority. Further, the base powertain in Regal is weak and did not sound good. After this comparison, I concluded that the '11 Regal is better suited to appeal to buyers who are coming out of an older, worn out Grand Am, Sonata, or Jetta. It is NOT on the same level as a TSX. Next, the LaCrosse felt wonderful...even with the 4 cyl! The biggest turn off with the LaCrosse was that I could find ZERO equipped with the upper-level sound system, which includes a factory i-pod / USB connector for integrated charging and music control. I'm guessing the main LaCrosse demographic is not bothered with this issue. Sad, because the LaCrosse rings my bells on soooo many other levels. It's gorgeous! After some review of features, feel, and value, the step up to a TL was easy.

Next, the LaCrosse felt wonderful...even with the 4 cyl! The biggest turn off with the LaCrosse was that I could find ZERO equipped with the upper-level sound system, which includes a factory i-pod / USB connector for integrated charging and music control. I'm guessing the main LaCrosse demographic is not bothered with this issue. Sad, because the LaCrosse rings my bells on soooo many other levels. It's gorgeous! After some review of features, feel, and value, the step up to a TL was easy.

Really? All of the ones I've seen had the USB connection in them, but I mainly look at CXSes

Congrats.

I gotta agree, Acura dealers are possibly the most professional ones I have dealt with. But I still cannot get over Acura's design theme and the amount of bloat its vehicles have gained in just one iteration.

Get some interior shots too.

Congrats. Different people's thoughts on the looks aside, I like them. They're different and at least not a marshmallow blob. Move up from the base wheels, and they dramatically change.

One of my best car friends who had the twin to my '09 G8 GT, color and all, and sold his at the same time I did early this year just leased a new '10 TL Tech SH-AWD in Mayan Bronze. He loves it. Had a questionable run with the quality/durability on a last few cars, and when his wife's Lexus IS lease came due, the Acura was better priced and the quality/performance/looks factor sealed it quickly. He's not easy to please, but the TL did so.

So...I like them...congrats. Still also like the looks of the last gen cars, but the build quality and performance of the current gen is definitely better, as is the space, AWD and performance.

No CTS or Genesis consideration?

I've driven the Lincoln Zephyr, but not the the MKZ, but the Zephyr was nothing special. I like the MKZ look, but if it drives at all like the Zephyr, you did well to save your time.

Oh yeah...I did think about a CTS and Genesis, lightly, but I never made it beyond online research on those two. Comparably equipped to my TL, both of these competitors were pricier. The CTS is also a fairly common sight around Houston. Gorgeous, but mighty common here. One reservation with the Genesis: The idea of buying a luxury-priced car from a dealer which is not an exclusive "luxury sales & service" provider. Finally, at this point in my automotive ownership adventure, I'm ready for a little more glamor than can be found on a service drive shared with Elantras!

Edited by jlgolden

• 1 month later...

Oh yeah...I did think about a CTS and Genesis, lightly, but I never made it beyond online research on those two. Comparably equipped to my TL, both of these competitors were pricier. The CTS is also a fairly common sight around Houston. Gorgeous, but mighty common here. One reservation with the Genesis: The idea of buying a luxury-priced car from a dealer which is not an exclusive "luxury sales & service" provider. Finally, at this point in my automotive ownership adventure, I'm ready for a little more glamor than can be found on a service drive shared with Elantras!

exactly why the Equus is a head scratcher

One bright spot for the TL is even if you don't like the way it looks (I still don't), the interior is a nice place to be, it looks nice, and that's what you look at most of the time. Congrats on the new purchase and hope you have many happy miles with it.

I agree with this...