ocnblu

RRRRRing... "Dark Side Here!"

Chevrolet, Ford and Dodge should all be ashamed of themselves. Suddenly, it's 2011 in the car world, and there is NO small, affordable coupe in any of the domestic lineups. So, I went looking and found this car. When I first saw the new tC, I was underwhelmed, it looked like the old car with Halloween costume muscles, but looking closer, I can see a nice stance, with a wide track, sporty ride height, and a masculine body with just the right amount of sinew. If it drives as nice as it looks, it should be a winner, AND it's the only game in town right now, except for the Civic and unfun-to-drive Forte, and I like this better than either of those.

A lot of single people still appreciate the personal, sporty coupe. And this Cement tC with lower bodyside graphic and foglights at the link (try clicking "recent builds"), in concert with the handsome standard wheels, evokes that independent spirit, while keeping a family resemblance to sporting Toyota coupes of the past... it has that Japanese look, without being too weird. I really like this now.

Edited by ocnblu

I do like the 2-door Fiesta, balthy, but I ain't moving to Europe to get it. Ford's Fiesta marketing chick says "nobody" wants coupes in the US. She's a birdbrain.

I feel the exact same way that you do, 'blu.

My only domesticchoices would be a used SS Cobalt coupe, an older SVT Focus, or a very old and ahrd to get Neon ACR...or the difficult to work on but fun SRT-4...which is still around ten grand for a six or seven year old car.

Ten grand for a seven year old car ain't gonna work when it's gotta haul kids all over creation and run the auto-x on Sunday.

Metrhinks a dose of vintage Pontiac could set me right as well...but then again, I was about 4 years old when a 69 Firebird coupe was built, and I'm 45 now...different time, different place, different era...

You know I'm with you on the lack of coupes Ocn, but a coupe at what cost?

Could never do the Scion badge - no way, no how.

But I'm bloody sick of sedans.

*AHEM*

22015656.jpg

01fordmustangv6fd2011opt.jpg

RWD, 31 MPG, 305-HP V6, Starting at $22,145

As far as Scion goes, I've always like the first gen tC, but I'm not feeling the new car.

Yeah, yeah... Mustang and Camaro - the "givens".

Add in Challenger...

And the question becomes: "would you like the Chevy, Ford, or Dodge coupe?

Need more choices.

Yeah but hold off on a Challenger until the 2011's come out.

Of course, of ocn's criteria, only the Mustang is anywhere near "small" The other two are bigger cars.

I do like the 2-door Fiesta, balthy, but I ain't moving to Europe to get it. Ford's Fiesta marketing chick says "nobody" wants coupes in the US. She's a birdbrain.

My bad- I thought it was available here! I swore I saw a TV ad for a 2-dr; guess not. Of the two choices, I'd certainly pick a Ford 4-dr over a toyota 2-dr, any day & everyday.

Keep reminding yourself- 25 million recalled... :D

Yeah, yeah... Mustang and Camaro - the "givens".

Add in Challenger...

And the question becomes: "would you like the Chevy, Ford, or Dodge coupe?

Need more choices.

Agree on more choices...

Camaro, Mustang and Challenger are all, of course, fantastic vehicles. What I am lamenting is the lack of smaller, cheaper, sporty, fun to drive coupes from the domestics.

Cobalt and Focus coupes are gone, for now, with only the faintest whispers (let alone promises) of a return. Neon coupe has been gone for several years. I've always seen PLENTY of all three in my area. So when those people are ready to buy again, or when new intenders are ready to pull the trigger, where can they go? Scion, Honda and Kia... so we've managed to give away yet another market segment to foreign competition. UNACCEPTABLE.

And another thing... if the Big 3 do come back with compact coupes, they'd better not be "special, halo" models that are priced out of reach of the market. A base model with a good chassis and good looks will get ppl in the door.

About a week ago I was sitting at a bar, reading a copy of the Columbus dispatch and watching the Ohio State football game. The Columbus Dispatch does a write up on a local high school athlete on Saturday, and their write up was about a girl from Marysville who played Golf, IIRC she won a state championship.

She was also very passionate about older rock and roll music and cars. Her car of choice? Mommy and daddy had her set up in a nice black 4 door Civic SI.

The good, bad and ugly of the situation is that we've pretty much lost a lot of the younger generation to American small cars. You think it's some kind of accident that Black Viper owns a Honda and a Vee Dub? As the parent of three teenagers I can tell you, the cars kids are into are NOT domestics. As nice as GM4life's write up about the Taurus was in another thread...this ain't the kind of car that will win over younger fans.

Camaro, Mustang and Challenger are fine for us as forty something males...but....we are loosing the battle.

The other group we are loosing the battle with is the hispanic population. they love domestic trucks, but seem to really prefer import cars.

THIS needs to change!

I've found a lot of local latin folks (and there are many) like Toyotas (old and new, they seem to love 70's Corollas)... but my Rican next door neighbor has an Expedition and a tricked-out 300C. And we all know about the SoCal latin love for Impollas of all stripes. And I think Mexicans love Mopars, as well.

I've found a lot of local latin folks (and there are many) like Toyotas (old and new, they seem to love 70's Corollas)... but my Rican next door neighbor has an Expedition and a tricked-out 300C. And we all know about the SoCal latin love for Impollas of all stripes. And I think Mexicans love Mopars, as well.

The Impollas they love were built back during the Era of kennedy and Johnson...But good point.

We still need domestic cars that will reach this marketing demographic

>>"As the parent of three teenagers I can tell you, the cars kids are into are NOT domestics.

...Camaro, Mustang and Challenger are fine for us as forty something males..."<<

My older son is 16, he's not a car enthusiast per say (tho he does appreciate them), but he drools over the Challenger & esp the Mustang.

I think a LOT of teenagers see the asian makes by what's on the road for the most part- camcords, sentras, corollas & cheap sonatas- I don't see any of those pulling in today's teens either.

There is NOTHING like a Mustang/Camaro from overseas to be seen, and as consumers-to-be, cars like a kia or VW or civic 2-dr are nothing special from the curb.

Once they are actively shopping, things might be different.

>>"As the parent of three teenagers I can tell you, the cars kids are into are NOT domestics.

...Camaro, Mustang and Challenger are fine for us as forty something males..."<<

My older son is 16, he's not a car enthusiast per say (tho he does appreciate them), but he drools over the Challenger & esp the Mustang.

I think a LOT of teenagers see the asian makes by what's on the road for the most part- camcords, sentras, corollas & cheap sonatas- I don't see any of those pulling in today's teens either.

There is NOTHING like a Mustang/Camaro from overseas to be seen, and as consumers-to-be, cars like a kia or VW or civic 2-dr are nothing special from the curb.

Once they are actively shopping, things might be different.

I'm saying this as a general rule...

Some teens obviously like them, but by and large, most teens...the Camaro, challenger, and Mustang are pretty much off their radar.

I'm saying this as a general rule...

Some teens obviously like them, but by and large, most teens...the Camaro, challenger, and Mustang are pretty much off their radar.

because they know they could never afford the insurance on one.... and if Daddy is buying, they'd rather have a CPO 3-series for the same price.

because they know they could never afford the insurance on one.... and if Daddy is buying, they'd rather have a CPO 3-series for the same price.

More truth here than I want to admit...

Insurance costs, assuming the general teenager has looked into them, are a factor, but no new car is cheap insurance-wise, and this still doesn't factor into what teenagers LIKE from the curb IMO. The post I reacted to here was 66stang's, regarding 'what kids aren't into'. Insurance is a financial factor mostly concerning the parents of said teenagers. :nono:

While a given teenager may like a 3-series by itself, I don't imagine any who like the Mustang will default to a 3-series and be 'into it' because the insurance is cheaper. Unless they have little opinion of cars beyond transportation. Teenagers don't buy new cars anyway, ABA is now 50 or thereabouts, IIRC.

Does a V6 Mustang really cost that much more to insure than a civic ?? ( i ask because I have no idea.)

Edited by balthazar

Genesis Coupe > tC

Does a V6 Mustang really cost that much more to insure than a civic ?? ( i ask because I have no idea.)

Playing with State Farm's website leads me to find the Mustang and Civic EX are within 1% of each other, both about 6% less than the tC. The Genesis Coupe 2.0 is about 20% less than the tC. I didn't check the Mustang Gt, Civic Si or Genesis 3.8 or 2.0 Track models.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We ♥ Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook