Cruze or Saab?

well, I think I could live with the bowtie radio in Saab.

I always thought the 9-3 should have been marketed more as an option to say, a Passat, rather than trying to portray it as a 3 series alternative.

Saab could do major business selling the current gen 9-3 in more of a downmarket slot.

At least for purposes of comparison in this scenario, I guess a lot of people would say the only disadvantage the Cruze has is engine output.

Any new car at 20 grand and change these days is a bit of a bargain actually.

I have driven several of the basic 9-3's with the 2.0 and either the 6 manual or 5 manual. Most recently an 09 9-3 6 speed and its a very nice drive. Better than a Passat. Very good for a front drive car. Better than things like the run of the mill midsizers.

Rear leg room is the major flaw with this car, and a very uncomfortable rear seatback and headrest. Ruins the car.

The outdated dash may not be for some, but I like it.

One thing is clear, at 21 grand (assuming you already own a Saab) that is a lot of car. I can live with 16" wheels for that price on a Saab.

I've driven the v6 9-3 and its nose heavy. The 9-3 is light on its feet.

Maybe Chevy should have put a bowtie on the front and just sold the 9-3 as the new Cruze. No money needed to design and certify.....lol

They have HUGE rebate/dealer cash on Saabs right now, so more likely than not, it's no demo just a great discount. I was just looking at new 9-5's that were nearly $10k off.

Saab. Home of the econocar sized discount.

New, Previous gen 9-5s, right?

Nada. The 2010 9-5's have some stacked cash on them. Actually, even the just rolling in 2011 2.0T, etc. models also do.

Fitzgerald's in MD has a good example of such pricing:

http://www.fitzmall.com

1) 2010 9-5 Aero

MSRP: $51780.00

Sale Price with Rebates/Cash: $40759.00

2) 2010 9-5 Aero

MSRP: $53740.00

Sale Price with Rebates/Cash: $42523.00

3) 2011 9-5 Turbo4 Premium

MSRP: $50140.00

Sale Price with Rebates/Cash: $43877.00

It's blowout pricing under cost, as they always do, but the rebates/cash are there too. Dealer cash, loyalty, rebates, etc.

The 9-5's are super attractive, for a higher end larger midsize sedan that stands out...and the same for the old, but still graceful 9-3.

Nada. The 2010 9-5's have some stacked cash on them. Actually, even the just rolling in 2011 2.0T, etc. models also do.

Fitzgerald's in MD has a good example of such pricing:

http://www.fitzmall.com

1) 2010 9-5 Aero

MSRP: $51780.00

Sale Price with Rebates/Cash: $40759.00

2) 2010 9-5 Aero

MSRP: $53740.00

Sale Price with Rebates/Cash: $42523.00

3) 2011 9-5 Turbo4 Premium

MSRP: $50140.00

Sale Price with Rebates/Cash: $43877.00

It's blowout pricing under cost, as they always do, but the rebates/cash are there too. Dealer cash, loyalty, rebates, etc.

The 9-5's are super attractive, for a higher end larger midsize sedan that stands out...and the same for the old, but still graceful 9-3.

Nice. That's how it should have been priced to begin with. They'll get lots more interest at $40K than $50K. $40K is still kinda pushing it, though.