I went zoom...

...and now Zoom Zoom daily. Surprise :AH-HA:

Since I started working at the Ford, Mazda, Nissan and Hyundai dealer in July, I've gotten to experience and try out a lot of vehicles, see what real customers say about them and see them in service. I started in Nissan, then moved to Mazda and have been with them ever since. It's a complete experience, and the owner's are more fanatical than any I've seen of the brands on sight, and the performance, quality, etc. Mazda was a brand I honestly didn't know much about before, but became all about very quickly. First few days I got to take a new CX-9 Grand Touring for some errands and was wow'd.

Months went by, and so did the Avalanche. Loved it as well, but the bulkiness was getting to me. Like driving a living room with some nice pep and mileage (5.3L/6L80E sweety), but a truck and no doubt about it. I kept looking, I kept driving things, and as an employee, whatever I wanted I could make it work. Merry November/December, Mazda introduced a special holiday employee pricing program for dealer employees--the under invoice discount normally only Mazda corporate employees get. A fully loaded CX-9 was more than possible, AND a friend I used to work with...at random...called me out of the blue looking for an Avalanche "just like yours". The Flex was #1 for a while, tried a Taurus, the Maxima, a Fusion, the 6, the Murano, a MKS...kept coming back to the CX-9. The Flex I enjoyed before felt HUGE afterwards, just HUGE, and soft.

Took me some time to figure out what I wanted specifically, then flipped to a 2011 vs. 2010 because we could make the pricing work and I liked the updates, traded my Avalanche and re-sold it to the friend in the same hour. Ta-da. Now zoom-zoom. And the Avalanche has a nearby home with an owner as OCD, if not more, than I was.

I never could get comfortable in a car again after going up^^^, but missed how a car drove. This rides, handles and accelerates like a sport sedan, but I can sit higher and comfortably in a cockpit, have space for anything & everything, and the level of quality and fit & finish is like nothing I've had thus far. The only vehicle to come even close in quality was my G8. Feel of the doors, the dash, the doors, the quietness...it just oozes luxury and quality.

It's a 2011 CX-9 Grand Touring FWD (again, beach land...AWD...no use), in Liquid Silver with Black Leather, Moonroof/Bose, Nav, Power Liftgate, Tow Prep, Moonroof Deflector, Remote Start, Roof Rack, Rear Bumper Step Plate, Splash Guards, and then I had the iPod Integration and (my must have) 3M Clear Bra installed. Dealer traded it from a dealer in North Carolia, so a friend and I had a fun roadtrip down in a 1-way rental (2011 Malibu...both of us enjoyed it a LOT), and got to break it in coming back.

Image00001.jpg

Image00002.jpg

Image00003.jpg

Image00004.jpg

Image00005.jpg

Image00008.jpg

Image00009.jpg

Image00012.jpg

Before I bought the Avalanche, I drove Acadias and Enclaves...and was so close to saying yes. Just the right kind--although those weren't totally right, and a little large--package, regardless of the "mom" comments I got. Mazda found me, and the CX-9 knocked my socks off.

Love driving it. Sport sedan with big guy space and practicality, and a 5mpg improvement over the Avalanche with my driving, so far. It zooms. Back roads have been fun, as have a couple roadtrips already.

Zoom-zoom...big smile...interesting, ey :smilewide:

Man third one in three years - Congrats.

Actually...well...if you go back to summer of 2008, it's been 6 since then...Fleetwood, G6, Malibu, G8, Avalanche and now CX-9.

Some think I'm on a bizarre lease plan...but also are never shocked when I appear with something new.

Working around them daily, and selling, it was natural. I sold this one to myself, which made fun paperwork. The fact that a friend WANTED my Avalanche and I wanted 2 sales instead of 0 in a day made it easy.

The CX-9 seems to most like a family ride, and it is...but there's more to it. The overall experience & package, just stellar. I can't believe the "feel" of quality in the doors, seats, dash, etc. after what I have had in the past couple years. My G8 was closest in this way, but the rest quite a mix.

Very nordic. Ski lodge trekking vehicle. Not just a FWD minivan based cube, by any means. It's different.

No complaints, other than I wish Mazda could figure out how to make the Sirius sound as clear or clearer than FM. Robotic. After years of GM's with stellar XM & stereos, it's odd to adjust to.

I have a feeling you went Zoom, and you love life will go Boom! Congrats, I guess, you'll look good tooling around in Mommy-Blogger style ... :smilewide:

Things a brewing in many, many ways...moving, life, etc. It's just that time. The 6 other seats should stay empty, for the most part.

Edited by caddycruiser

I miss the G8, congrats though!

I still do too. I wanted a "sports" package that also had some height & utility. The G8 was one rare car I was legitimately comfortable in...yes, again, I never should have gotten rid of it, but alas. The car aspect of the car I still didn't like. You can sure fling this ute around...the driving dynamics are impeccable. And red dash lights...one previous Pontiac aspect I always missed...my eyes love it.

Friend loves the Avalanche "so nice". He traded in his 2009 Ram quad cab for it, a truck he bought pre-owned with 14k and traded in with 17k on it...after a year. Wanted more stuff. Having the factory Nav installed (I had it sitting around in a box, never did it) for him in 2 weeks. His only complaint is fuel mileage...drives like a nut, that's why.

Zoom zoom zoom. I need a new sig. Good night.

Edited by caddycruiser

Congrats, I like the color... looks sorta like a Subaru Outback on steroids, really clean too.

PS: Check your PM, I left you a couple Fleetwood related questions.

I saw! Sorry for not responding yet. Promise I will!

your pictures are very nice, and it is quite striking in that color combo. I was not aware they had that color.

Congrats on the new ride. That is a nice Ford Edge you got there!!! ;) j/k

CX-9 is the cornerstone of Mazda right now and those who drive them enjoy them. My neighbor has one, actually.

Just a side note about Mazdas, I see they upgraded the cloth on the 2011 Mazda6, its actually a tolerable place to be now. Is leather standard on the CX-9? As far as I know the leather in the CX-9 is pretty nice quality.

Those wheels look new for 2011, are they a new Mazda design?

your pictures are very nice, and it is quite striking in that color combo. I was not aware they had that color.

Congrats on the new ride. That is a nice Ford Edge you got there!!! ;) j/k

CX-9 is the cornerstone of Mazda right now and those who drive them enjoy them. My neighbor has one, actually.

Just a side note about Mazdas, I see they upgraded the cloth on the 2011 Mazda6, its actually a tolerable place to be now. Is leather standard on the CX-9? As far as I know the leather in the CX-9 is pretty nice quality.

Those wheels look new for 2011, are they a new Mazda design?

Liquid Silver. Sort of a darker shade of silver, offered on the CX-7, CX-9, 2 and 3. "Always looks clean and always looks wet" is how we've described it to customers.

Though there is platform relation to the Edge, there is zero comparison. I tried to want the Edge, and did like the size, the new electronics, etc. but still eh. Weird shape, mushy seats, everyone has one, etc. And not an engaging drive like the Mazda. And though now the Ford is great inside, different than the level of finish/sophisticated feel of the zoomer.

The Mazda 6 went from the "soft" or fuzzy cloth in 2010 to a new stiffer, shinier variety for 2011. We've had people like it either way, split down the middle. The 6 seats can be funky to my back, but I do think the firmer feel with the stiffer 2011 cloth makes them more comfortable for me.

The CX-9 comes in 3 trims, Sport, Touring, and Grand Touring. Sport has cloth very similar (if not the same) to what is now in the 2011 Mazda 6. Like the CX-7, you can then have heated cloth seats--most are so optioned. The leather is great quality, and the seats are considerably more comfortable with it--feel more padded than with cloth.

For 2011, new wheel designs on both Sport/Touring (18") and the Grand Touring (20"). Got rid of the straight multi-spokes, and now have a lot more curves and shape to them--they've actually showed this new 20" design on CX-9 previews last year, just never introduced them until 2011. The EPA mpg improvements for 2011 were nice too, and have showed up in my 1500 miles of driving so far.

Edited by caddycruiser

You are even crazier than I am when it comes to changing cars.

Enjoy it (for a short time I'm sure). :neenerneener:

Well...the friend I sold the Av to flips pretty often, and apparently told another friend "April (his wife) will be looking at a CX-9 in 6 months..." apparently mine.

One OCD to another, even he was impressed and I heard afterwards, telling people "it's so clean" about the Avalanche. Just complained about it being 2wd when it snowed, but that's what he wanted, and it's a heavy GM truck...so, no problem.

Zoom zoom.

Mazda is a good place to be. :P

I still need to find a Millenia to drive. We had a customer show up in a 2002 base model one about 2 months ago, super low mileage, and I was asking him all about it. Cool car, perfect for 8 years he had it, he said.

• 6 months later...

Originally brought home December 13th, 2010...crossed 7 months and 10k miles this July 4th in the zoomy CX-9.

10kodo.jpg

This far in, love everything about it. Even now working with Acura everyday, I respect vehicles like the MDX a lot, but still have never come across such a comfortable crossover with such in tune sport driving dynamics. Doesn't have the tech of some others, and a little more road roar from the meh factory Bridgestones, but a hoot to drive.

Not a single issue to report. Having moved to Philly and now pounding over bad roads & streets daily, the 20" wheels and suspension are perfect and not a tick, rattle, or squeak anywhere to be seen. Best build quality of any vehicle I've owned so far, period. The Ford sourced & Mazda tuned 3.7L is a beast, and the Aisin 6-spd extremely quick & smooth, not overly efficient but fun to push.

Only 7 months, and blowing through miles rather quickly. Fun ride, with space. I wish I didn't owe as much on it as I do, but other than that it's A grade. Zooom.

If anything else, I'd go sport sedan next...but every time I think of them, as much as I like several, I'd still not have as enjoyable of a drive as in the CX-9...and not space. Toss up.

Edited by caddycruiser

• 4 months later...

...and as of a few weeks back now, Zoomy is for sale by me at work. When a free car to drive is part of your job, having a high car payment and living in the city just isn't intelligent. I've been driving a new Acura TSX Tech demo since last month, and other things from time to time.

It's interesting. I work for Acura now, nearing a year pretty soon. I've seen and driven everything. Still, in the class, I've never found a vehicle that has the same qualities from build to finish to power to ESPECIALLY driving dynamics and refinement the CX-9 does. MDX is awesome, but still softer in comparison, and not as roomy, lighter steering, etc. Driving a 110% loaded 2010 Acadia SLT-2 AWD this weekend and wow, it scares me to drive it's such a huge boat.

I'll miss it. When it sells, that is. Hopefully soon, to a good home.

Edited by caddycruiser
  • Agree 1

Keep us posted...how is your mother enjoying the Camaro?

Got rid of it. Loved it dearly. Just couldn't bare to let it sit and not be driveable in winter, with the summer 20" summer treads, or the ability to carry stuff, people and dogs.

She went nuts around last January and almost bought anything from a Hyundai Tucson to a Mazda CX-7 from me. Paused. I said if anything go check out a Lacrosse and Equinox. She did, she liked, she disliked the 2.4L Theta's but ended up with 3.0L AWD Terrain SLT-1. Dad enjoys it mucho. She loves it. Misses her Camaro, but after trading said it would be her dream 2nd car not main vehicle.

Mazda. I got in it the other day to move around the lot...I miss driving it. Have enjoyed it more than any vehicle I've owned aside from my G8, and it by far has the best driving dynamics/quality of anything I've had. Even driving Acura's daily, it impresses me. It gets talked down by Acura folks & otherwise, but as I showed and sold to a customer I had looking at used MDX's last month..."drive this"...and she went home with a used 2008 CX-9 we had.

Debating. It is currently the lowest priced 2011 fully decked out model in the nation on Cars/Autotrader/etc. Have a loan to payoff, just want to minimize my cost output to do so. I was already thinking a Mazda 3 hatch or something after, if and when I do need to own a car again...the Zoom got me. Must drive and own to understand.

• 1 month later...

Good bye Zoom. One year, 49 days later...the Mazda has found a new family and new home in PA.

*raises eyebrow*

Wait ... what? Why?

And, what next? (I see your sig shows your "now" as "nothing".)

Cort | 38.m.IL | pigValve + paceMaker + cowValve | 5 MCs + 1 Caprice Classic

* post-surgeryPARTY = 5:30p-10:30p, SAT, 02/11/12 | Beef Villa, 1225 W Spring St, S Elgin IL *

"Do you know what it feels like being alone?" __ All-American Rejects __ 'Swing Swing Swing'

Good bye Zoom. One year, 49 days later...the Mazda has found a new family and new home in PA.

*raises eyebrow*

Wait ... what? Why?

And, what next? (I see your sig shows your "now" as "nothing".)

Cort | 38.m.IL | pigValve + paceMaker + cowValve | 5 MCs + 1 Caprice Classic

* post-surgeryPARTY = 5:30p-10:30p, SAT, 02/11/12 | Beef Villa, 1225 W Spring St, S Elgin IL *

"Do you know what it feels like being alone?" __ All-American Rejects __ 'Swing Swing Swing'

No use. A manager for an Acura store, so a new Acura is provided...and living in Philly, working so much, I especially don't need a car payment on what is a second car. A great one, but a second car. "Nothing" should remain that way for a while.