NAIAS 2011 - All New Volkswagen Passat - Our Thoughts

2012 Volkswagen Passat

The Real Americanized German Sedan

med_gallery_76_565857.jpg

January 18th, 2011

Cory Wolfe - Writer/Photographer - CheersandGears.com

:forum:Gallery - NAIAS 2011 - 2012 Volkswagen Passat

One week ago, Volkswagen debuted their all-new 2012 Passat at this years North American International Auto Show in Detroit. This midsize sedan, slated to begin production around August, will be built at Volkswagen's, similarly all-new, plant in Chattanooga, TN. You may recall Volkswagen's new 6th generation Jetta having been "Americanized" for our market. In layman's term, they decontented it in a massive cost-cutting strategy to position it at the core of the compact segment. Essentially, Volkswagen has repeated that process here, but with one obvious difference: This new Passat is not the polar opposite of what came before it. Hold up, it actually is in many ways, all of which I will get into below. What I mean, however, is that it truly feels competitive inside and out. It doesn't feel cheap, unlike the Jetta. Volkswagen managed to make a bigger, cheaper Passat, that's not actually made of Rubbermaid.

The Foundation

In order to make all of this possible, Volkswagen needed a place to build this all-new sedan. Rather than choose an existing plant, Volkswagen chose to build an all-new plant in the heartland of America. The last time Volkswagen built anything in the U.S. dates back to July of 1988 when their Westmoreland County, PA facility was closed due to unprofitability. Starting life as an unfinished Chrysler building, Volkswagen began producing the Rabbit there in 1978. It marked the first time any foreign manufacturer had built automobiles in the U.S. since the second World War. After a 23 year absence, Volkswagen will once again begin the manufacturing of automobiles here by opening a new plant in Chattanooga, TN. This new plant is part of the $4 billion figure Volkswagen is investing in our market. Volkswagen claims it will be the most advanced and environmentally friendly automotive plant in the world, once opened. The plant will feature a revolutionary new paint shop, said to reduce emissions by a substantial amount. It will also introduce a new $40 million employee training center, said to be state of the art. The new Chattanooga plant will open this summer. All of this will supposedly help to ensure the new Passat's success here in America.

The New, Much Larger Passat

Possibly the biggest news here is the Passat's significantly increased size. Length is up a full 4 inches to 191.7 inches, all of which is seen implemented in its longer wheelbase, up to 110.4 inches. Width is also up, though marginally, to 72.2 inches. Where all of this is most noticeable is in the rear of the cabin. It's quite airy with more-than-generous legroom. In fact, it felt more roomy than any other midsize sedan I've recently been in. Space up front is equally as generous. Outside, the Passat's larger footprint is evident. The added length and girth over the outgoing model is obvious. It's mere presence is massive, even, if compared to the smaller Jetta or more svelte CC.

However, none of its added size seems to be overdone in terms of looks. It's stately, while being decidedly trim and fairly athletic. The constrained lines and perfectly proportioned body give it an elegant, classy look. There are no gimmicky design trends or bulbous shapes here. It's German simplicity, at it's best. Despite all of this glowing, this may be the Passat's biggest downfall. These days, automotive design is all about being brash with in your face designs that you either love, or hate. Even the perpetrators of everything dull, Toyota, is trying to set itself apart from others with its organic shapes and blobs. The Koreans have charged the hardest with their radical change in design direction, winning praise from even the toughest critics. Volkswagen, instead, chose the safe route and in doing so, is receiving equally as exciting opinions. The overall aura of commentary at NAIAS was just how plain the new Passat appeared. Many described it as a magnified Jetta. One discussion I overhead entailed a hypothetical situation, described as taping over the badges and asking a group of people to guess who made it. It's a valiant point, with Volkswagen choosing to leave originality on the table for their new mainstream sedan. Is there room for conservative design anymore? Volkswagen seems to think so, despite middling opinions. Personally, I agree, and am a fan of Volkswagen's design philosophy in whole. Whether it will prove to be a success in the U.S. market will remain to be seen until the end of summer.

Trimmed Up

Volkswagen plans to offer 6 different configurations at launch, keeping options to a bare minimum. Each of the three trim levels, S, SE, and SEL, will have two levels available along with the option of a sunroof on SE. Similar to the design, Volkswagen is keeping things simple. That's not to say it won't be well-equipped, with Passat's base trim expected to feature a myriad of standard features. Notable features throughout the range include a valet parking feature, ambient lighting, keyless ignition, remote engine starting, and the addition of a new premium sound system by Fender. The system is said to deliver harmonically complex sound with uncompromised clarity; a truly premium sound. In addition to the aforementioned, Volkswagen has also packed the Passat full of safety features. Included as standard equipment across the board will be Volkswagen's advanced intelligent crash response system, a tire pressure monitoring system, electronic stabilization program, ABS with braking assist, hill climb assist on manual-transmission equipped models, and six air bags.

Powertrains will include your choice of three engines and three transmissions. The venerable 2.5L five-cylinder engine with 170 hp makes it debut under the Passat nameplate for the first time. With it will come the choice of either a 5-speed manual or 6-speed automatic transmission. Acceleration is estimated to be 8.2 seconds to 60 with fuel economy to come in at 32 mpg. At the opposite end of the spectrum, a 3.6L VR6 engine will be available. Making 280 hp and hitting 60 mph in 6.5 seconds, it's sure to be a joy. It's sole transmission will be Volkswagen's renown 6-speed DSG transmission. Marking its return to the Passat for the first time since 2005 will be a TDi model featuring a 2.0L turbo-diesel four-cylinder with 140 hp and 235 lb/ft of torque. This oil-burning delight will be available with either a 6-speed manual or a 6-speed DSG transmission. It is expected to return a remarkable 43 mpg on the highway with an even more remarkable 800 mile range. Gone from this all new Passat is the 2.0L TFSI engine and the 4Motion all-wheel-drive system.

The Passat is not the most technologically advanced. You will find more revolutionary features elsewhere, but it looks to have the core features to go toe-to-toe with the segment stalwarts. As is the general tone of this debut, it does not have much flair, but there is no fluff to be found. This is, perhaps, the biggest departure from the outgoing Passat. Whereas that car was loaded to the gills, and therefore, priced out of reach for many, this new Passat will open to the door to many potential cross-shopping customers. Volkswagen's biggest asset here will likely be the returning availability of the TDi. Along with the Jetta, they are the only competitors in their respective segments to offer a diesel variant. With TDi sales up and demand surpassing supply, this bodes well for its reintroduction into the midsize segment. There are many people, including myself, of whom would much rather go diesel, than go hybrid.

Throne of Quality

Sitting inside, one thing is evident: This is not a Jetta rerun. The first thing you will notice are the seats, lavishly covered in leather and suede. It's a wonderful combination that looks great and absolutely fabulous to touch. These are some of the best upholstered seats in the business, let alone the midsize segment. They are also best in terms of comfort and adjustability, something Volkswagen has long been known for. Focusing on your surroundings, you'll notice soft-touch, low-sheen plastics on the dash and door panels. Atop of the dash is an analog clock situated between the center vents. Below that, spanning across the dash and accented elsewhere is a faux wood trim that is neither convincing nor revolting. All in all, everything is a standard affair for Volkswagen and on par with the previous iteration Passat. Beyond design, that is. The interior is styled even more conservatively than the exterior. There's no excitement whatsoever, just a basic interior that's finished well. It's attractive, if you don't mind the lack of originality.

To Sum it Up

The new Passat is Volkswagen's most important vehicle in reaching its 800,000 annual sales goal by 2018. It will be diving head first into the most proficient car segment in the U.S, currently dominated by the big three Japanese automakers. With sales of only 12,000 Passats last year, handily outsold by it's own Passat-spawned CC and nearly every other midsize sedan available, Volkswagen wants, and needs, this new sedan to capture the hearts of Americans. With billions invested, the Passat holds the key to Volkswagen's success. Does it have what it takes?

I think so. There are some asterisks here, however. Volkswagen is specifically aiming to sell around 150k Passats per year, outpacing their currently best-selling Jetta. As Suzuki learned the hard way, offering a competent vehicle does not guarantee success. There are far more factors at work here to consider. Namely, Volkswagen's not-so-spotless reliability record. With this new Passat comes the new Chattanooga plant and the relative unknown regarding reliability. As with sales, Volkswagen is placing hope on this new sedan to turn that around. If Volkswagen can pull that off, we may see some surprises. This new Passat has the goods to compete with the perennial best-sellers. No, it's not the best, nor the most exciting, and no, it's not the cheapest, nor the most fuel efficient either. One thing it most certainly is not, is the worst. What is it, then, you ask? It's a thoroughly competent, larger, more attainable Passat with a broader spectrum of trims and powertrains. It's no longer just a high-priced German specialty. Personally speaking, I'm eager to drive one and curious to see how the future unfolds for Volkswagen.

Have a look at our 2012 Volkswagen Passat Gallery from NAIAS 2011, as well as some related links below.

:forum:Gallery - NAIAS 2011 - 2012 Volkswagen Passat

:forum:Press Release - 2012 Volkswagen Passat

:forum:December 2010 Sales: Volkswagen Group of America

med_gallery_76_565857.jpg

Can't wait to see the finished product. Not diggin the rear side window and the overall blandness, but I like the packaging; lots of room. And it will probably still be a nice drive.

I've never really warmed to the Fusion. I like the Regal and LaCrosse, but they get pricey quick. Few, if any of the Japanese in this segment really are a 'want' sort of car. The Kia and Hyundai are decent products, but I'm already sick of them.

This works nice for VW because they can gain share with this car and they still have the really nice CC if you want something more luxurious and genuinely German instead of germane.

The 5 cylinder should be a nice match for the Passat with either trans, although it would be nice to see them squeeze some extra power out of it.

I think a lot of VW fans probably ask why the turbo 2.0 is not an option. That's probably a fair question.

med_gallery_76_677521.jpg

Having the TDI available is nice too.

I actually think building the Passat here will give people more confidence about the reliability, people may add some value because it is built here compared to other slandered VW's....

now that is legroom.

Edited by regfootball

To give yourself an indication of its size... Imagine an Impala that's nearly a foot shorter, same wheelbase, but more interior room.

are you saying its got less overhang than the Impala? IMO the Impala is weak in many interior areas. Width, leg room in back in particular. If VW can pull that off with a smaller size and have comparable room to something like my old 500 I will be impressed.

Was the trunk space pretty good?

here's my thing:

The interior looks nice enough, but does it look nicer and more modern than the car it replaces?

post-1757-0-31768300-1294714768.jpg

post-1757-0-59612200-1294715471.jpg

I don't think so. The new one is so bland. It has no style. The old one, the one still used in the CC and Euro Jetta, has some actual style to it. It's innoffensive and all, but new cars are supposed to be better, and inside at least, I don't think it is.

And yes, I know it's $8k cheaper, but the Cruze is even less expensive yet has a more interesting interior design.

The exterior looks fine, not particularly original or exciting, but it is very well proportioned, so kudos for that.

I'm interested in the upcoming diesel option.

I still think the new US Passat's interior is best-in-class. The design may be conservative, but there are still a lot of high quality details. The RCD-510 touch-screen radio (even without nav) is top notch, that steering wheel is awesome, the lounge seats remind me of 1970s Lamborghini, and I like the tasteful use of thin chrome accents and piano black trim. All in all, it looks like a pleasant and luxurious place to be, in contrast to the overstyled Sonata, the mess of buttons that is the Accord, or the sheer lack of detail in the Camry.

the current passat's interior to me is rather offputting. it's not bad in terms of quality. but it's really a weird mishmash of stuff. not as much the dash and center stack, as the doors and other places.

so while the new one's design is definitely more plain, there is more of a sense of order to it to me.

i can digest an interior if the design is nice. Or, if the materials are good I can live with some weirdness in the design.

If the materials are good inside the Passat it can make up for some blandness in the design. A lot of buyers can't process too much going on inside an interior.

the woodgrain is on the higher trim, does the base passat get faux metal or just matte black?

VW did a terrible job integrating the handbrake here.

Edited by regfootball

the current passat's interior to me is rather offputting. it's not bad in terms of quality. but it's really a weird mishmash of stuff. not as much the dash and center stack, as the doors and other places.

so while the new one's design is definitely more plain, there is more of a sense of order to it to me.

i can digest an interior if the design is nice. Or, if the materials are good I can live with some weirdness in the design.

If the materials are good inside the Passat it can make up for some blandness in the design. A lot of buyers can't process too much going on inside an interior.

the woodgrain is on the higher trim, does the base passat get faux metal or just matte black?

VW did a terrible job integrating the handbrake here.

Here's the Passat SE with the faux metal, leatherette, and low line RNS-315 nav:

2012-vw-passat---08.jpg

No pics yet of the base S model, but...

"The upper and lower instrument areas are visually distinguished by various decorative accents, depending on the equipment version. Decorative elements in “Titan” design are used in the S version; the elegant “Titan Silver Printed” decor is used in the SE version, wood décor “Autumn Nut Burl” is featured in the exclusive SEL version. The accents not only upgrade the instruments, but also the center console as well as the door trim panels.

The seats are exceptionally comfortable. Even in the base version, the driver’s seat is adjustable eight ways, including lumbar support."

Automatic climate control will be standard on all models.

this is one of those rare times where i say the car really needs a footbrake.

also, without the wood, dare i say, it definitely goes down a notch.

I'm am rarely fond of gray or silver anyways. cornsilk beige here i come.

is that leather-ette? (sorry just re-read your post, answer is yes)

is the steering wheel a larger diameter than the Jetta?

that NAV rides pretty low.

Edited by regfootball

Here's the Passat SE with the faux metal, leatherette, and low line RNS-315 nav:

2012-vw-passat---08.jpg

No pics yet of the base S model, but...

"The upper and lower instrument areas are visually distinguished by various decorative accents, depending on the equipment version. Decorative elements in "Titan" design are used in the S version; the elegant "Titan Silver Printed" decor is used in the SE version, wood décor "Autumn Nut Burl" is featured in the exclusive SEL version. The accents not only upgrade the instruments, but also the center console as well as the door trim panels.

The seats are exceptionally comfortable. Even in the base version, the driver's seat is adjustable eight ways, including lumbar support."

Automatic climate control will be standard on all models.

What is the base price for this, as pictured? I wouldn't pay more than 19k for this interior. If this is the base interior, it'll be sufficient for a couple years, but it won't age well relative to the competition, that's for sure.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

What is the base price for this, as pictured? I wouldn't pay more than 19k for this interior. If this is the base interior, it'll be sufficient for a couple years, but it won't age well relative to the competition, that's for sure.

Just out of curiosity, what makes you say that? Color, trim, controls, seats, etc... Anything in particular?

No, I understand that the VW fanboys will defend it to its death. To a certain demographic, the VW badge is a status symbol no matter what the objective truth is. That's fine, Mercedes-Benz was that way until people started getting tired of their crap falling apart starting in the late 90s through the mid 00s.

VW will sell a lot more of these, same with the Jetta, because the price points are lower and there is a reputation they are coasting on. VW has always sold/leased because of the fantastic interiors. This interior just isn't fantastic enough to last a whole generation, and in the case of the Jetta, its is a step backward in many ways.

It's the same thing as the Apple fanboys who will argue with you endlessly that the iPhone 4 is the greatest phone ever...because it's an Apple...even though it does a terrible job of, you know, dialing and maintaining calls, is outclassed by the Droid phones, and lacks the business-friendly features of th Blackberries. BUT IT'S AN APPLE SO IT MUST BE AMAZING.

Trust me, I get it. But honestly we can just agree to disagree instead of trying to discredit my contrary opinion as being the result of "just not getting it." If this interior is deemed "fresh" and "now" two, three years from now, then get back to me and I will eat crow. But this interior IMO is barely adequate now, and will be thoroughly outclassed in a MY or two.

I'm afraid interior preferences are hardly objective truth. Truth is, I find the new US Passat interior more attractive than any of its rivals. Perhaps it's a matter of personal taste, but I like black interiors, I like restrained uses of chrome and piano black, I like clean and elegant gauges, and I like the corporate Volkswagen design aesthetic -- the fonts on the switchgear, the shape of the buttons, the layout of the controls, etc.

I mean, this is what it's up against...

2010-ford-fusion-interior.jpg

2011-Nissan-Altima2.jpg

2011-camry-interior.jpg

2011-hyundai-sonata-se-1.jpg

Dash.jpg

Malibu is new this fall, though I find the current interior adequate.

Honestly, when I look at the outgoing/incoming interiors for the Passat, I can't tell which one is newer. I think the new radio/climate unit is nicer with the metallic accents, and I think the shift knob is very slightly improved. The old dash, however, has far more personality, and the old instrument cluster looks more premium to me. The old interior also has some nice metallic accents on the door panels that are no longer there.

It's a dated, cheap design, and looks even cheaper without the wood.

I, personally, prefer it without the wood and with the silver/piano black trim.

Though, on a design basis, it's a valid point. It's certainly brings nothing new to the midsize segment. It's a plain, simplified design we've seen before. It could be considered something Volkswagen has always done, though to a much greater extent with their two new mainstream offers, for better or worse.

It may not do Volkswagen any favors, but this segment has never really sold on style. The Camry and Accord have never managed to reinvent their interiors and the competitors who have tried, have never managed success.

Top 5 sellers:

112_0901_06z+2009_toyota_camry_hybrid+interior.jpg

112_0806_07z+2008_honda_accord+interior_view.jpg

112_0806_07z+2008_nissan_altima+interior_view.jpg

2010%20Ford%20Fusion%20Interior%20-%20005.jpg

2008-Chevrolet-Malibu-Hybrid-Cockpit-VIew1.jpg

Would you really rate any of these better?

I, personally, prefer it without the wood and with the silver/piano black trim.

Though, on a design basis, it's a valid point. It's certainly brings nothing new to the midsize segment. It's a plain, simplified design we've seen before. It could be considered something Volkswagen has always done, though to a much greater extent with their two new mainstream offers, for better or worse.

It may not do Volkswagen any favors, but this segment has never really sold on style. The Camry and Accord have never managed to reinvent their interiors and the competitors who have tried, have never managed success.

Top 5 sellers:

112_0901_06z+2009_toyota_camry_hybrid+interior.jpg

112_0806_07z+2008_honda_accord+interior_view.jpg

112_0806_07z+2008_nissan_altima+interior_view.jpg

2010%20Ford%20Fusion%20Interior%20-%20005.jpg

2008-Chevrolet-Malibu-Hybrid-Cockpit-VIew1.jpg

Would you really rate any of these better?

In these forms, no. But the Malibu and Accord--with wood--are better. Yes, the Malibu has too many cutlines, but it's in its last year. Given the Cruze interior, I can't wait to see what the new Malibu interior looks like, especially versus the Passat. The LaCrosse, however, certainly has a better interior.

The only mid-size I'd rate substantially higher in design is the Lacrosse. I didn't sit in the Passat, so I cannot comment on the material quality. But the Lacrosse has a couple of misses on the material sheet, so it may be a wash.

Considering it was done 4 years ago....

post-51-0-43074900-1295574661.jpg

Fancy colors only take you so far. It's the material quality that finishes the job. The Passat certainly looks like it could have both.

The difference between the Malibu and the old Passat/CC interior is the materials, the quality, and the attention to detail.

In addition to high quality and build quality, it has lots of wonderful details from the contrasting stitching and piping, even on the floor mats, to the designs of ordinary controls such as for the sunroof.

Malibu has contrast piping, Fusion and Milan have contrast stitching, so I wouldn't call the Passat doing it market leading.

Is the Passat still using that rotary control for the sunroof that GM was using way back on the '97 Catera?

Again, I'm not bashing the Passat. I'm just not seeing the breakaway market leader you are.

Malibu has contrast piping, Fusion and Milan have contrast stitching, so I wouldn't call the Passat doing it market leading.

Is the Passat still using that rotary control for the sunroof that GM was using way back on the '97 Catera?

Again, I'm not bashing the Passat. I'm just not seeing the breakaway market leader you are.

Well its not on the floor mats, or the door panels, or the shifter.

The Malibu's door panels are pretty weak, never been a strong point, nor has the center stack or the cutlines, or the lack of a rear arm rest.

As far as the sunroof control, I'll have to dig up a picture of it.

considering VW sold 1200 Passats last month, regardless of how nice its interior is, it just sort of tells the tale that it wasn't contributing to it being a sales success, more folks expected it on the CC, or went the easy route and bought a cheaper competitor and lived with what they had.

Basically VW probably just said the Passat interior as it is cost way too much for them to go down the price ladder. But it would have been nice to keep a little more of its snazzy character.

I just know the new Jetta's plastic and door panels (especially the lower trims) is just plain dreadful. I hope the bottom trims of this Passat do not resort to dumbing down the trim so much.

Edited by regfootball

I'm just going to try and veer this topic off path: someone 'Shoop a Mercury badge on the new Passat. It channels the spirit of the '86 Sable quite well and it's a little creepy.

Before you get butthurt, no it doesn't look like a copy in any direct way, but there is definitely a peculiar aura about it that suggests an '86 Sable ... wonder why?

VW has been using using the rotary control for the sunroof just as long and is sticking with it. Every current and upcoming VW retains the design. I, personally, don't care for it, but many VW fanbois do.

The biggest point to be made is that this new Passat isn't really a Passat. It was designed as an all new vehicle, naming it "Passat" came later in the cycle. VW essentially avoided Ford's mistake in abandoning the Taurus nameplate and recycled the well-regarded name. Because of all this, the interior is intentionally a downgrade from the outgoing Passat. Knocking the base price $8k will do such a thing. As well, the picture Dodgefan posted is of the even more expensive CC that we will still have if you want what the old Passat represented.

Also, having been in the LaCrosse, it's essentially a draw on material quality. However, the LaCrosse's base price is where the current Passat is.

Let me make a few guesses as to what makes this new Passat so much cheaper.

• So long gas-charged hood struts, hello prop-rod.
  • Same goes for the trunk. Meet gooseneck hinges.
  • The dashboard probably follows the same persuasion as the Saturn Aura: the grain is uniform and nice and the upper dash is plush enough for dry-humping, but the lower dash feels like Tupperware.
  • Halogen bulbs in all exterior lighting.
  • Powertrains are one-generation old.
  • Read-outs are housed in a black hole. So-long ornate detailing.
  • Cloth is probably of a Jo-Ann caliber and the leather is little better than spandex. The stitching and patterns are taken from a few of Mr. Rodgers' sweaters.

Pretty much, right?

• The dashboard probably follows the same persuasion as the Saturn Aura: the grain is uniform and nice and the upper dash is plush enough for dry-humping, but the lower dash feels like Tupperware.
  • Cloth is probably of a Jo-Ann caliber and the leather is little better than spandex. The stitching and patterns are taken from a few of Mr. Rodgers' sweaters.

Pretty much, right?

Actually...

• Yes, prop rod.
  • Yes, goosenecks.
  • No, the interior is on par with the previous Passat, material wise.
  • Yes, no projectors or LEDs.
  • Neither yes or no. The powertrains aren't new, but they're fully competant.
  • No?
  • No, the seats are still the best in the business.

The biggest point to be made is that this new Passat isn't really a Passat. It was designed as an all new vehicle, naming it "Passat" came later in the cycle. VW essentially avoided Ford's mistake in abandoning the Taurus nameplate and recycled the well-regarded name. Because of all this, the interior is intentionally a downgrade from the outgoing Passat. Knocking the base price $8k will do such a thing. As well, the picture Dodgefan posted is of the even more expensive CC that we will still have if you want what the old Passat represented.

No disrespect, but that sounds like the biggest load of fanboy rationalization I've heard in a long time. At least we now agree the interior is a downgrade. At least we agree that VW is doing this to increase sales by lowering the base price.

This is exactly what I have a problem with: VW has enjoyed being a mainstream brand that commands a premium reputation and transaction price despite having notoriously poor build quality/reliability. How many brands can get away with making lineups that fall apart after 3-4 years and yet still be regarded as premium and desirable?? That's quite a feat, and it's only because the interior materials are beyond top-notch and the driving dynamics are great. Now VW is messing with the interior equation in order to increase short-term sales numbers. Well guess what?? The new interiors aren't bad by any means, but they fall short of what VW is known for, and they offer much less of a competitive advantage vs. the competition. So now you have VW, with non-premium interiors, non-premium prices, and (until proven otherwise) bottom-of-class reliability/build quality.

My prediction: sales will go up in the short term, but after a generation or two the public will catch onto the cost-cutting and no longer be willing to put up with build quality issues, leading to long-term erosion of the brand. Why? Because this has happened sooooooo many times when an automaker gets cocky and wants to boost sales numbers and/or market share. Now, if VW can somehow radically improve their build quality/reliability, then I don't think the brand will erode, per se, but the lineup won't command the same premium market position as it did before.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

No disrespect, but that sounds like the biggest load of fanboy rationalization I've heard in a long time. At least we now agree the interior is a downgrade. At least we agree that VW is doing this to increase sales by lowering the base price.

This is exactly what I have a problem with: VW has enjoyed being a mainstream brand that commands a premium reputation and transaction price despite having notoriously poor build quality/reliability. How many brands can get away with making lineups that fall apart after 3-4 years and yet still be regarded as premium and desirable?? That's quite a feat, and it's only because the interior materials are beyond top-notch and the driving dynamics are great. Now VW is messing with the interior equation in order to increase short-term sales numbers. Well guess what?? The new interiors aren't bad by any means, but they fall short of what VW is known for, and they offer much less of a competitive advantage vs. the competition. So now you have VW, with non-premium interiors, non-premium prices, and (until proven otherwise) bottom-of-class reliability/build quality.

My prediction: sales will go up in the short term, but after a generation or two the public will catch onto the cost-cutting and no longer be willing to put up with build quality issues, leading to long-term erosion of the brand. Why? Because this has happened sooooooo many times when an automaker gets cocky and wants to boost sales numbers and/or market share. Now, if VW can somehow radically improve their build quality/reliability, then I don't think the brand will erode, per se, but the lineup won't command the same premium market position as it did before.

I haven't said it wasn't a downgrade, merely that it's no worse than its newly comparable competition. While design has taken a step back and available luxuries doesn't make up as long a list, material quality hasn't suffered. Like I've noted before, this isn't a Jetta part 2 in the interior department. Directly after sitting in the new Passat, I sat in a CC and a Jetta. It's a water-down version, which is the point.

You may not like Volkswagen's intent, that's fine. It's not meant to appeal to you. Who it will appeal to? Those who continually buy Camrys, Accords, Malibus, etc. These people don't shop based on style nor whether or not the older Passat had a slightly more interesting and expensive interior. Why? The older Passat was priced out of contention and consideration. Only two vehicles managed lower sales in Volkswagen's line-up: the Touareg and Eos. Even the Routan and the 12 year old New Beetle outsold the Passat. Not only that, the Jetta wagon outsold it. Volkswagen sold 12,497 Passats last year and that was a 12% increase. I don't know about you, but I would probably want to do something differently, as well.

Regarding reliability, it has always been factory related, the components themselves have proven to be sound, except for a few cases such as outsourced fuel pumps on certain vehicles. Volkswagen is attempting to address this with an all new factory. In addition, the now downmarket car should prove to be an easier product to produce. This is a big question mark that neither of us will know the true answer to until later on.

I fully understand the need for this car for Volkswagen's sake. Will I ever buy one? No, it doesn't appeal to me and isn't meant to. Rather than condemn it, I'm eager to see where it takes Volkswagen and am giving it a chance to either prove itself or fail.

And I've also maintained that it is adequate and will be for a model year or two...but then the competition will surely leapfrog it.

I think we're approaching this from two different angles here: you're looking at the car, and I'm looking at the car within the context of the new Jetta and am predicting the future company direction. New Jetta, new Passat, I'm seeing a pattern here and it isn't good. Honestly this is comparable to Cadillac of the late 70s and early 80s--premium brand, goes for sales numbers, cuts costs and "premiumness" to broaden appeal/attainability, it works for a few years with great sales growth numbers, but long-term erodes strong brand equity. I could be wrong, but that's my intuition here. As you said, this doesn't appeal to you...hopefully VW will continue to produce cars that WILL appeal to you.

Basically they've tried to maintain the Volkswagen superiority, or whatever you want to call it, but offer it at a more competitive price. IMO, they've succeeded in retaining its German-engineered "premium-ness" with this new, less-expensive model. No other car in its class offers a DSG transmission, or a TDI engine, or bigger brakes. The design is conservative, but it isn't gimmicky or prone to falling out of fashion after a couple of years.

Exactly. They are thankfully backing away from trendiness and approaching Icon status. This is more purely Volkswagen than recent efforts. The blobby Mk V Golf/Jetta come to mind. Perhaps Volvo and Mercedes-Benz should follow VW's lead and bring back more function and conservatism in their designs. I do like the GLK for this reason.

• Agree 1

And I've also maintained that it is adequate and will be for a model year or two...but then the competition will surely leapfrog it.

I think we're approaching this from two different angles here: you're looking at the car, and I'm looking at the car within the context of the new Jetta and am predicting the future company direction. New Jetta, new Passat, I'm seeing a pattern here and it isn't good. Honestly this is comparable to Cadillac of the late 70s and early 80s--premium brand, goes for sales numbers, cuts costs and "premiumness" to broaden appeal/attainability, it works for a few years with great sales growth numbers, but long-term erodes strong brand equity. I could be wrong, but that's my intuition here. As you said, this doesn't appeal to you...hopefully VW will continue to produce cars that WILL appeal to you.

VWs sales have no where to go but up. They are still just barely being outsold by Subaru.

sometimes people are so brand conscious, and maybe haven't bought a new car before. the VW rep is what you say, but they may be so hung up on brand, and not actually savvy, cognizant, or experienced enough buying vehicles to be objective enough to see whether it has been watered down.

It's like someone who might buy Levi's at Target. They aren't getting real Levi's. The tag says they are, and all they really care about is the tag.

So it is pretty much as you say. VW is really smarter than you think, they think they can identify the exact things they can decontent and still meet a precisely debated level of performance or quality on things like the handling, suspension, etc. But they still are across the board lowering their standards while trying to ride their brand equity. It's exactly a short term grab.....but its also a long term strategy. Knowing that there will be global consolidation and brands will die, other brands will become elite and that is what VW wants. Share = ability to rise to one of the top 5 groups. They are being aggressive about it and quite honestly know a large portion of that share rests on price. They probably feel they couldn't impact their quality as dramatically, or take their performance to a whole nother level. SO the last denominator to fck with is the price. And the marketing.

I am actually the perfect example. I do like the current Passat. Every time I shop I look at the Passat, but in comparison to what I end up with it tends to be a bit out of reach. I am not saying the current car is a bad value. It's not. It's just a bit higher on the price level than it would take to suck in more buyers. But the car is so nice that they cannot drop the price. It's just like Walmart who forces their suppliers to come up with a product they can sell for 'x amount' to 'this group'. Last fall for my daughter's school i wanted to get her a pencil sharpener. Cash is tight, I am fine mormally buying one for 20 bucks because i know it will last. Instead i got her a cute pink one from walmart for 5.50. It was a name brand, but obviously a cheapened version built for a marketing event.

So normally I am shopping things like Malibus and Fusions and Altimas class. The only way the Passat can fit there is to revert to the LCD. VW just thinks their version of the LCD will still be more desirable either by actually preserving SOME of its German character (rather than none) or simply by brainwashing the masses (marketing) into thinking its a German car with a real advantage. In my case, now a Passat IS attainable to me as it is a car I would consider over or aside any of those cars.

VW also has heritage in the past as cheap $h!boxes anyways. 'People's car'? So to some extent its not like they haven't built their brand on that before.

It's just too bad they have to give up a lot of the progress they made in being 'premium'. There are plenty of idiot shoppers out there though that won't notice stuff like the terrible plastic inside the Jetta, etc.....

Or the Jo-Ann fabrics...LOL i almost spit my drink out on that one. That was funny.....LOL

Part of me thinks VW is intentionally citing ridiculous sales goals. Even if they proclaim 800k units, I think they will be pleased as punch with 500k units, if it means other competition is taken out of the equation or badly bloodied.

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty much, right?

Actually the biggest reason it's so much cheaper now is:

Outgoing Passat = built in Germany

2012 Passat = built in Tennessee

Not my opinion, but straight from the mouth of a VW product planner friend of mine.

Actually the biggest reason it's so much cheaper now is:

Outgoing Passat = built in Germany

2012 Passat = built in Tennessee

Not my opinion, but straight from the mouth of a VW product planner friend of mine.

saves on shipping, they should have just gotten an Amazon Prime account.

saves on shipping, they should have just gotten an Amazon Prime account.

I'm surprised they didn't build it in Puebla, Mexico like the Jetta...cost of labor would be even cheaper than a non-union plant in TN, I would think.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

I'm surprised they didn't build it in Puebla, Mexico like the Jetta...cost of labor would be even cheaper than a non-union plant in TN, I would think.

Haven't they had quality issues with just about every vehicle that ever comes out of that plant? might want to start with a fresh sheet of paper AND I'm certain that Chattanooga is going to be used for more than just the Passat in the future.

The interior looks well put together with some quality materials. It is sort of a boring interior, but it is probably functional, and easy to use, and it won't offend anyone. The exterior is very boring, as is the Jetta. These new VW's are just so boring and uninspiring, it is like they tried to be more bland than the Accord and Impala, and succeeded.

• 2 months later...

I hope that US-made VWs have much higher quality than our current batch of VWs. My fiancee's father just brought ack a 2011 Jetta after two car through lug nuts, the second car had loose HVAC controls. VW may not be ready for prime-time. They better shape up!