Mercedes-Benz Ponders On Whether To Bring The Vito To The US

Mercedes-Benz Ponders On Whether To Bring The Vito To The US

William Maley - Editor/Reporter - CheersandGears.com

May 24, 2011

post-10485-0-83995000-1306271910.png

Mercedes-Benz's Sprinter van has exceeded expectations in the US that Mercedes is thinking about possibly expanding their van offerings. According to a report from Autoblog, the company is holding clinics to gauge interest in the Vito van.

The Vito has been on sale in European markets since 1996. It's offered with a range of CDI engines, three different lengths, two roof heights, and the choice of RWD and AWD drivetrains. If Mercedes was to offer the Vito in the US market, most likely it would come in one size and a smaller engine range. For now, it's only in the idea stage.

Source: Autoblog

Comparison of the Mercedes-Benz Vito to other vans in the US market:

Mercedes-Benz Vito

Note: Specs based on RWD models.

Vito Compact

• Wheelbase: 126.0 in
  • Overall Length: 187.5 in
  • Cargo Capacity: 183.6 cu. ft
  • Payload: 2,028.2 - 2,204.6 lbs

Vito Long

• Wheelbase: 126.0 in
  • Overall Length: 197.2 in
  • Cargo Capacity: 201.3 cu.ft; 261.3 cu. ft (High Roof)
  • Payload: 1,973.1 - 2,149.5 lbs; 2,061.3 lbs (High Roof)

Vito Extra Long

• Wheelbase: 135.0 in
  • Overall Length: 206.2 in
  • Cargo Capacity: 219.0 cu. ft
  • Payload: 1,918.0 - 2,094.4 lbs

Chevrolet Express 1500/GMC Savana 1500

• Wheelbase: 135.0 in
  • Overall Length: 224.1 in In
  • Cargo Capacity: 270.4 cu. ft
  • Payload: 2381 lbs

Ford Transit Connect

• Wheelbase: 114.6 in
  • Overall Length: 180.6 in In
  • Cargo Capacity: 129.6 cu. ft
  • Payload: 1600 lbs

Ford E-Series Van (E-150 Regular Length)

• Wheelbase: 138.0 in
  • Overall Length: 216.7 in in
  • Cargo Capacity: 237.8 cu. ft
  • Payload: 3260 lbs (4.6L V8); 3250 lbs (5.4L V8)

Ford E-Series Van (E-150 Extended Length)

• Wheelbase: 138.0 in
  • Overall Length: 236.4 in in
  • Cargo Capacity: 278.3 cu. ft
  • Payload: 3190 lbs (4.6L V8); 3110 lbs (5.4L V8)

Isn't this going to compete with mercedees other minivan?? :neenerneener:

Way to maintain/advance the luxury perception with all that unpainted black plastic.

Downmarket, thy name is mercedees.

"Mercedees- Can We Build One for You?" (Oops, that one already used before...)

I think it is a good idea to bring it here. There is the Transit at the compact van end, and the Sprinter and Econoline at the big end, and the Sprinter is really big. The middle size Vito could do well here, there is no minivan cargo van, except maybe for Dodge, and the utility companies will buy it. If no one else is going to go after the cargo van market (aside form Ford who doesn't have a mid-size van), Mercedes might was well take it over. Vito probably gets better mileage than even the Transit, and Mercedes run forever so businesses will like that durability.

I think it is a good idea to bring it here. There is the Transit at the compact van end, and the Sprinter and Econoline at the big end, and the Sprinter is really big. The middle size Vito could do well here, there is no minivan cargo van, except maybe for Dodge, and the utility companies will buy it. If no one else is going to go after the cargo van market (aside form Ford who doesn't have a mid-size van), Mercedes might was well take it over. Vito probably gets better mileage than even the Transit, and Mercedes run forever so businesses will like that durability.

I should take a picture of the lineup of Sprinter vans that clearly didn't "run forever" down near the waterfront.

Why these aren't badged as Freightliners boggles the mind.

A cheap-ass cargo minivan with black plastic all over it.... and a giant mercedees' car grille up front.

BRILLIANT.

They'd probably appear slightly different here. You see all kinds of Mercedes vehicles like that in Europe... it's not just a luxury brand there.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

A cheap-ass cargo minivan with black plastic all over it.... and a giant mercedees' car grille up front.

BRILLIANT.

They'd probably appear slightly different here. You see all kinds of Mercedes vehicles like that in Europe... it's not just a luxury brand there.

BLASPHEMER!

• Agree 1

Who knows, they might badge them both ways here...I don't see many Freightliner Sprinters around here, but plenty of the Merc ones, usually w/ plenty of chrome. One of the local Merc stores usually has a 1/2 dozen or so along the freeway-facing side of their lot..

>>"They'd probably appear slightly different here. You see all kinds of Mercedes vehicles like that in Europe... it's not just a luxury brand there. "<<

Sure, but this isn't europe, and the US market is stupendously happy thinking mercedees is nothing but 'ultimate lux' here, yet the sub-compacts, the FWD, the 4-bangers and the MB Econolines are still coming. A fat push into the taxi market can't be far behind.

It's a hard downmarket push vs. the perception, but the bean counters gotta have more beans, I guess.

Edited by balthazar

Looking at the specs, it appears the In Vitro hits a sweet size niche. I see no problem selling it here.

Ford, GM and Chrysler abandoned the midsize van market (FWD Ram C/V notwithstanding). Heck ,you can't even get a short wheelbase fullsize van any more. Of course competitors are going to see a need and jump on it.

• Agree 2

BRILLIANT.

BLASPHEMER!

I still remember the Mercedes "cab" that took me from the airport to my hotel in Rome at Mach I. If it had wings we would have flown.

You know, if Mercedes installed wings, they would claim to have invented flight.

Yes and then Lexus would add something pointless to it so they could coin "First ever..." :AH-HA:

I should take a picture of the lineup of Sprinter vans that clearly didn't "run forever" down near the waterfront.

Those are all Dodge Sprinters. If you put a 3-pointed star on something it runs forever.

Drink+this+much.jpg

^ That's a temporary effect at best. Long term, as the association of 'mercedees' increasingly includes numerous cargo vans, that perception will lose its luster. It's an obvious attempt to sell off the 'M' image, when they already have a commercial truck brand in the market.

Those are all Dodge Sprinters. If you put a 3-pointed star on something it runs forever.

LOL! Touche!

Prime example, over 400,000 miles on a Sprinter that says Dodge on the back, but has a 3-point star on the front.

Sprinter

That one even had the crappy 5-cylinder diesel, the new ones have the V6 which is better. The Mercedes vans would outlast the Ford and Chevy competition, if Mercedes launches a full scale commercial truck operation in the USA, they could really put a hurt to GM, Ford and Dodge, errr Ram.

No story really on the mercedees, an old s-class died in my driveway and it had to be pushed into the street to allow a Chevy to get out.

Turned out only to be a bad battery, so I guess I can't really fault the engineering... tho I had ample time to note antiquities such as the 3-piece front bumper, something Chevy last did around 1964.

Doubtful. The Sprinter costs a good $10k more than one of those domestic work vans. The Vito may match the domestics in price, but unlikely to match in capability.

It isn't like the Transit or Dodge Caravan have all that much capability. Matching an Econoline in towing or cargo load may be possible for the Vito, but that is why they have the Sprinter. And they could roll out the Vito 55 AMG.

Edited by smk4565