GM Unveils New Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan Concept at Buenos Aires

GM Unveils New Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan Concept at Buenos Aires

Cobalt_Buenos_Aires_12.jpg

Here in the good ‘ol US of A, General Motors replaced the Chevrolet Cobalt compact car with the new Cruze sedan. In South America, however, it’s another story as the Detroit brand has given birth to a new Chevy Cobalt that is being revealed in pre-production form at this week’s Buenos Aires Motor Show (June 17 to 26) in Argentina.

Developed by General Motors Technical Center in South America, the four-door sedan Cobalt Concept is slated to enter production within the next year. GM’s press blurb doesn’t mention anything about the Cobalt’s underpinnings, but judging from the size of the car, it appears to be based on the Chevy Sonic (Aveo in Europe) saloon.

GM said that the Cobalt will be sold globally offering buyers a choice of four cylinder engines ranging in displacement from 1.3 to 1.8 liters, with automatic and manual transmissions, running on ethanol (flex fuel), gasoline or diesel.

The specific concept model is equipped with an aero kit comprising of front and rear aprons, side skirts and a discreet boot lid spoiler, plus 17-inch alloy wheels in 255/45 R17 rubber and twin exhaust outlets.

The interior has also been upgraded with plush two-tone leather seats, chrome trim, twin sunroof and even an infotainment system with LCD screens integrated into the front headrests.

I wonder how it compares dimensionally to the Sonic. Could bring it and the Spark here as the low end Chevys, I suppose...

The Sonic sedan's greenhouse reminds me of the Jetta from about 10 years ago...

I like them both. The Cobalt's body lines are cool, they remind me, if I squint almost to the point of closing my eyes, of the Silverado's lines. The front is an infant Equinox. The dash and interior appear more mature than the Sonic's (I really like the dashboard and unique steering wheel trim).

I have to remember, when comparing these two, that the Cobalt is a "concept", while these photos are of the production Sonic... we did lose a bit when Sonic got productionized, it'll prolly be the same for Cobalt.

Overall, the Cobalt reminds me of a very tiny (outgoing) Malibu, in that it's reserved and classy, while the Sonic is more rough-and-ready.

Which would I choose? It would honestly depend on the day of the week and/or the mood I'm in.

I like the utilitarian looks of the Cobalt, though I hope the interior comes in different colors. I prefer the wraparound dash of the Sonic. I wonder if there will be a new Cobalt coupe as well. I highly doubt that we will get both the Cobalt and the Sonic sedan here. I don't think "globally" includes the US.

I mostly like the Sonic better, except for one thing... when I showed pictures of the Sonic to a friend, they immediately said "it's an aveo!" While it certainly is the replacement for the Sonic, it sounds like they've done so much right with it that it'd be nice if it had more differentiated styling to go with the new name.