Opel Making A Comeback In America?

Opel Making A Comeback In America?

William Maley - Editor/Reporter - CheersandGears.com

June 18, 2011

post-10485-0-41980900-1308424691.png

Opel hasn't had an easy time since GM's bankruptcy. The company has been losing money and sales since GM exited bankruptcy in 2009. Last week, rumors came out about GM possibly selling the company to either the Chinese or a German auto company.

This week, there is talk about bringing over an Opel-branded small car to the US. In a interview with German magazine Auto Motor und Sport, Opel's labor chief Klaus Franz purposed the idea of selling a small car in America.

"In the cities of the East and West coast, I do see demand for this vehicle," said Franz.

The proposed vehicle will be smaller than Opel's current small car, the Corsa. It will be a three-door hatchback and possibly be named either the Junior or Allegra. Production could begin sometime in 2013.

Franz believes the Opel nameplate carries a positive reputation among American consumers since Opel imported vehicles into the US from the 60's through the 70's.

GM hasn't made any comment on Franz's comments.

Source: Auto Motor und Sport

I can, easily.

Me too.

Moltar, it's easy: just visualize a Tri-Shield over every Opel logo.

I can see the rebadging, that is easy... I just don't see such products fitting w/ Buick's brand position or image...or what the market thinks Buick's image is.

I could see Opel here as a VW-ish semi premium brand of subcompacts and compacts, sort of where Saturn was trying to go... while Buick focuses on the near-lux niche..but adding a new brand shortly after cutting 4? Ambitious..I also doubt if many American car buyers remember the Opels of old or are conscious enough to be aware of modern Opel, so it would be a clean slate for the brand.

Without Saturn, Pontiac and Oldsmobile, there seems to be is a gap between Chevy and Buick. Not sure how GMNA should fill it, though....

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

i can see Opel working if they have the Astra hatches and the Corsa line. They still would have the Verano. Keeping the Opel name is low risk........no threat to tarnishing the Buick heirarchy if the hatches and corsa are low volume......

And Astra OPC 3 door I could love in my driveway.......

Edited by regfootball

I can, easily.

Me too.

Moltar, it's easy: just visualize a Tri-Shield over every Opel logo.

I can see the rebadging, that is easy... I just don't see such products fitting w/ Buick's brand position or image...or what the market thinks Buick's image is.

I could see Opel here as a VW-ish semi premium brand of subcompacts and compacts, sort of where Saturn was trying to go... while Buick focuses on the near-lux niche..but adding a new brand shortly after cutting 4? Ambitious..I also doubt if many American car buyers remember the Opels of old or are conscious enough to be aware of modern Opel, so it would be a clean slate for the brand.

Without Saturn, Pontiac and Oldsmobile, there seems to be is a gap between Chevy and Buick. Not sure how GMNA should fill it, though....

I don't see any gap. Chevy is the mainstream brand, Cadillac is the high-end brand, and Buick is the premium bridge between the two. That means premium Euro cars like what Opel sells would be too expensive for Chevrolet and too out f place at Cadillac but fits nicely between the two, just like Buick.

GM doesn't need 12 steps between Chevy and Cadillac. One strong brand is plenty.

• Agree 1

GM hasn't made any comment about anything Opel the past 10 days.

GT

Kadett

Two fine rust free cars that come to mind when I think of Opel

Maybe in AZ... in NJ, most GTs and Kadetts didn't make it out of the '70s.

sarcasm: The word is sarcasm.

I was being sarcastic of the rustfree nature of the bodies,and mechanical excellence.

• Disagree 1

Huh? Where's the gap? Pricepoint-wise, there is no gap. Look at Malibu vs. Regal or Malibu vs. Lacrosse. Verano vs. Cruze. Enclave vs. Traverse.

There's simply no room in there, and why in the hell would GM spend all the time/money killing brand after brand only to introduce another one? When Saturn as Opel didn't pan out?

Take any Opel, keep it in the high-level, well-appointed trims, and a Buick badge most certainly is not dissonant.

There's simply no room in there, and why in the hell would GM spend all the time/money killing brand after brand only to introduce another one? When Saturn as Opel didn't pan out?

I completely agree, but I don't think you can say that Opel wouldn't work in the US because Opel as Saturn didn't work. Each approach comes with a different set of customer expectations. That said, I think it's a bad idea for GM to have another brand in the US when they just worked so hard to get rid of some, but I also think this whole thing is pure speculation and GM just wouldn't do it. Buick will keep getting select Opel rebadges, and that'll be that.