got a cool $35K in your pocket?

Chevy Dealer Has 13 Caprice PPVs for Public Sale

Like the rest of humanity, car enthusiasts are driven wild by cars they can’t have. So whether you’re talking about the ricers who spend a small fortune to import legitimate JDM Nissan Skylines, or millionaire Mopar fans who drop a million bucks on a bonafide HEMI ‘Cuda, people have proven that they are willing to pay a premium to own a car that almost nobody else has.

But there are some cars that the public is just not supposed to get, like the 2012 Chevy Caprice PPV. This vehicle is for sale to police departments only. But thanks to a loophole in the contract with GM, a Maryland car dealership has 13 of these Australian-built police vehicles for sale, reports Jalopnik.

The 2012 Chevy Caprice PPV, as you no doubt already know, is GM’s ticket back into the lucrative police service vehicle market. GM long ago abandoned this market to the nigh-indomitable Ford Crown Victoria, which finally ends production this year after two decades of sales dominance. But the Caprice PPV, unlike the Crown Vic, is a vehicle unavailable for purchase in any form through a normal GM dealership. Or at least that is the way it is supposed to be.

But thanks to a loophole in GM’s contract that does not stipulate that sales are only for police departments, Criswell Chevy of Gaithersberg, Maryland has 13 Caprices for sale on its lot. Listed between $31,000 and $37,000, the dealership is hawking these as similar to the discontinued Pontiac G8 sports sedan. And why not? The two vehicles are not all that different. However, GM has not yet announced plans to return to producing such a vehicle, despite the collective outcry of car enthusiasts who desire a competitive American sports sedan. GM is now aware of this loophole, so don’t expect to waltz into any Chevy dealership and just buy a Caprice. But the few lucky souls who stumble upon this deal, and have the funds to make it happen, will be pleasantly surprised at the performance vehicle they’ve just picked up.

http://www.lsxtv.com/news/chevy-dealer-has-13-caprice-ppvs-for-public-sale/?fb_comment_id=fbc_10150240005794752_17221729_10150240008804752#f3b77dacdd8b49

wonder what colors they have...

I think there's a high chance that GM will start selling these to the public within the next couple years, which would quickly make these a whole lot less special. Plus I'm not sure how nice it'd be to have all the police spec interior pieces for a DD.

I think there's a high chance that GM will start selling these to the public within the next couple years, which would quickly make these a whole lot less special. Plus I'm not sure how nice it'd be to have all the police spec interior pieces for a DD.

I do wonder if the 'detective' unmarked versions (like the black and red cars in the post above) have the police spec interior or have normal seats instead.

It's too bad GM is so blind to the potential of a consumer version of this car and gave up the niche to Chrysler.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Oh man, look at 'em. Cool jazzed up with the chrome mirrors, rims and "Super Spank" emblems. Even with a police spec interior, they'd still be wicked.

Still... I'd think some guys would want one without the gingerbread... steelies with baby moons, black mirrors and no fender emblems. Real stealth.

Oh man, look at 'em. Cool jazzed up with the chrome mirrors, rims and "Super Spank" emblems. Even with a police spec interior, they'd still be wicked.

Still... I'd think some guys would want one without the gingerbread... steelies with baby moons, black mirrors and no fender emblems. Real stealth.

I'd be happy w/ dark gray or dark brown paint, window tint, steelies w/ DDs, and no emblems...I'd rather have the grille frame blacked out also. I'd like to have a tan cloth or leather interior, no weird police seats. Then spend some extra $$$ to upgrade the engine to get at least 400-450hp.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

I'd be happy w/ dark gray or dark brown paint, window tint, steelies w/ DDs, and no emblems...I'd rather have the grille frame blacked out also. I'd like to have a tan cloth or leather interior, no weird police seats. Then spend some extra $$$ to upgrade the engine to get at least 400-450hp.

Sounds to me like you have a plan.

Time to buy one?

Sounds to me like you have a plan.

Time to buy one?

I'd love to buy one right now...but I have the bigger, more pressing issue to take care of before I buy another car...(i.e. move out of Arizona).

This story was on Jalopnik. The dealer is using a loophole to sell these as retail vehicles. very cool. But for whatever reason, GM is changing its rules to stop it from happening again.

http://jalopnik.com/5815228/chevy-dealer-will-sell-you-a-new-caprice-police-car

Criswell's sale is legit thanks to a sharp-eyed reading of contracts, and an oversight by GM.

The Caprice is the first vehicle GM has sold in decades that's supposed to be limited exclusively to police departments. But GM didn't explicitly say in the Caprice sales contracts with its dealers that the car could only be sold to law enforcement agencies. That means Criswell — or any other dealer with a Caprice on its lot today — is free to sell them to whomever has the money.

Unfortunately for Caprice fans, Criswell's sale has made GM aware of its mistake, and all future contracts will carry GM's public sale ban. A few lucky Caprice fans will be able to buy one new; the rest will have to wait a year or two for a high-mileage version to cross an auction block.

This story was on Jalopnik. The dealer is using a loophole to sell these as retail vehicles. very cool. But for whatever reason, GM is changing its rules to stop it from happening again.

Yeah, they wouldn't want a dealer selling cars that GM isn't advertising. Also, they don't want competition for the Impala.. :)

This is wonderful! I am so glad a few lucky owners will be able to drive one! Why GM won't release these to the public is beyond me, it would make 10,000 maybe 20,000 happy customers a year! I am sure this will end all chances of a consumer like me being able to get my hands on one new in the future. It will have to be pre-owned, but pre-owned could mean 10 miles on the clock too. :AH-HA: I figured there would be a loop hole in all of this and a smart dealer has found it!

Edited by gm4life

If people will buy it, why should GM say no?

*shrug* I dont think many people would. I see them in person around Detroit all time and they couldn't look more bland.

Past that, the cost of importing them would really harm the business case.

I think the point that I was trying to make was that GM is already importing them for Police use. If a few people are willing to pay $35k for a "detective" unit, GM should take the money and run. Why would they care where the money comes from as long as it's green?

As for parts, the parts will already be here to support the police departments.

I think the point that I was trying to make was that GM is already importing them for Police use. If a few people are willing to pay $35k for a "detective" unit, GM should take the money and run. Why would they care where the money comes from as long as it's green?

As for parts, the parts will already be here to support the police departments.

Well, for starters, I'm sure GM legal would never allow it. Look how quickly they closed this loophole.

Then you'd have to set up all the retail-related channels for selling the car to regular people. I imagine the cost of doing that would eat into the already slim profit margin on an imported, niche product like that.

The G8 had panache, but this vehicle certainly doesn't. Why pay 35K for this when there's a far tastier Charger or 300 on the road?

Well, the Charger and 300 are at the same price point more or less. It would be nice to see a V8 RWD full size from GM, but I don't see it happening, what with a new Epsilon II Impala coming in a couple years...

Well, for starters, I'm sure GM legal would never allow it. Look how quickly they closed this loophole.

The cars will eventually find their way into civilian hands, so GM legal must already be prepared for that.

Then you'd have to set up all the retail-related channels for selling the car to regular people. I imagine the cost of doing that would eat into the already slim profit margin on an imported, niche product like that.

Please describe in horrid detail this "retail-related channels".

Sure, new brochures need to be printed up... but in the Caprice's case, since it lives in many lands under different names, already probably has brochures and owner's manuals printed in 20 languages.

The Caprice has 90% in common with the G8, so GM dealers already know how to fix it.

Other than that, it would be sold at existing Chevy dealers.

What other work is included in this "retail-related channels"? Its not like GM advertises many of their cars worth a $h!. Does GM feel they need to set up buyer committees to figure out ways to waste money on ways to try to sell the car to people who would never want it in the first place? GM should just let it happen, grassroots-style... like the steam the G8 was building. For crying out loud, the damn thing has people trying to bend the rules to buy it. NO OTHER NORTH AMERICAN AUTOMOBILE COMPANY has people so hell bent to get either a Commodore, Statesman or Ute. NOBODY!

Some things, if done right, have a magical mystique... like the IPod/IPhone/IPad dynasty. The Aussie Zetas really are that magical.

GET A EFFING CLUE GM.

• Agree 2

Ha, well, I could try to explain, but I don't think it would change any minds anyway.

No, no... please explain. I must emphasize that I respect your opinion on this subject.

Part of the reason many of us are completely annoyed with GM is because of a complete lack of transparency. I can't imagine how ANYONE can invest in an IPO for a company who can't document where its money goes to when it develops and brings to market a car.

GM likes to quote crazy stuff... "It would cost $11 billion to put/remove those hood scoops/dual exhaust"... and later we learned GM wasn't capable of basic accounting, let alone forecasting.

GM hid behind the whole "legacy costs keep us from making a profit" thing for years... the legacy costs are gone... GM should be one of the most profitable car companies in the world right now.

Without understanding the why, we are left with innuendo and rumor. Is it the UAW that is squashing this project? Is Obama playing with GM like they were a bunch of Hot Wheels?

I've taken my fair share of Marketing, Business, Operations and Management courses. I want to digest your answer, like Dwight's engineering... something that chews on your brain hours after you read it.

Its not given the chance to change minds if it stays locked up in your head.

• Agree 2

I don't understand what really would need to even be changed for retail sale. I'm not saying that GM should advertise it and market it like the Malibu. But the people who want one should be able to walk in and buy one. If there is enough of a business case to import the thing here for the police fleets, there is enough of a business case to load a couple extra on the boat for civilian duty to be sold at full MSRP. The repair parts will have to be made available soon for the second hand market anyway.

• Agree 1

Well, one thing's for sure, GM had better start serving every niche it can think of.

I agree with both posts of Sam that given the legacy costs are down, GM should venture into any small niche markets profitably. But it seems to be either not happening or the process is still painfully slow.

I do not know how much of Bob's stuff is true in his book, but given the signals that GM is sending post-bankruptcy, I think NOTHING from the middle got washed away in the bankruptcy and hence I believe it is same old GM. The middlemen still are controlling GM like they did before 2009.

• Agree 1

If people will buy it, why should GM say no?

*shrug* I dont think many people would. I see them in person around Detroit all time and they couldn't look more bland.

Past that, the cost of importing them would really harm the business case.

RE: blandness... this just goes to prove how desperate some ppl are for a REAL car. And if this thing were styled from the ground up with Chevrolet style instead of Generic GM Sedan, there would be such an outcry for these to be sold to the public.

This is doubtless an effort by GM Design to make the car invisible to temper that outcry. A chameleon that could wear any GM emblem all up on its grille.