Sting Operation

ocnblu

That new Dodge Hornet isn't bad looking in the murky, telephoto world of spyshots, even as it has no eyes. Hopefully dynamic driving fun, economy, reliability and coolness are part of the buzz surrounding this new small Dodge. OH... and a 2-door hatch or coupe as well.

Sorry but the name is blasphemy.

There will only ever be ONE real Hornet, it introduced step-down styling, its innovative

styling and revolutionary design made even GM sit up and take notice while its motor

while only an inline six to the competitions' V8s blew everyone's doors off in an era

when NASCAR was still relevant and entertaining.

No Dodge subcompact will ever have Twin-H power! :yuck:

• Agree 2
  • Disagree 2

I of course kno where you're coming from Sixty8, but if there hypothetically was a 2011 Hudson Hornet, it'd still be a lame insult to the heritage of the original.

Thusly, this does't bother me. There are only so many original, non-alpha-numeric, car-appropriate names left without repeating discarded monikers.

A picture thread of Hudson Hornets sounds great, BTW.

These cars are tough as hell, I was >thisclose< to making my first car a Hudson Pacemaker coupe.

064_52-3.jpg

Everything must be exactly as it was 20 years before my birth or its all wrong! Also, even if it were the same, I wouldn't be able to afford it, but my way is still the way it must be.

Now that that's out of the way, I looked at some alleged Hornet spy shots and got a Golf vibe, which isn't a bad thing.

• Agree 2

'Hornet' is better than an alphanumeric name or 'Caliber'... Anyway, no one in the target market probably remembers the '70s AMC Hornet, let alone a '50s Hudson. It's not a retro design, so it's not playing on nostalgia for models from 40 or 60 years ago..

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

My grandfathers fav. car was a Hudson Hornet...my mother loved that car...she was twelve at the time...she's now seventy...some perspective on how long ago this thing ruled the streets and nascar.

But I am slo with Sixty Eight...it would be so cool to have a modern version of THAT car....guy who used to live near me had a bunch of them...I used to lust after that car as a kid...on my death bed I will honestly regret never owning a Hudson Hornet.

My wife's family had one of the 70's Hornets when SHE was twelve...THAT car is best forgotten, in the depths of automotive diaeresis that have been flushed down the scrapyard toilet to be forgotten.

A new funky Golf-Ish Hornet could be cool...wife and I killed a little bit of time this ayem car shopping...looked at a Cruze and the new VW Beetle...a new Hornet...Golf like...BRING IT!

There will only ever be ONE real Hornet, it introduced step-down styling, its innovative

styling and revolutionary design made even GM sit up and take notice while its motor

while only an inline six to the competitions' V8s blew everyone's doors off in an era

Soooo... you're saying that this car more or less deserves the name? Because it'll likely blow the competition's doors off in terms of exceptional handling, and gorgeous styling.

• Agree 1

Let's see--Avenger, Charger, Challenger, Nitro, Caliber..they need something kind of aggro sounding. Dodge Aggressor? Dodge Semtex? Maybe Dodge Attitude (used in Mexico on an Accent).

Or how about bring back Dodge Neon..

Any love for Dart?

agggressive-sounding: check

youthful: check

enough heritage to get the attention of Mopar enthusiasts: check

gone long enough so that average people won't tie it to the orignals: check

Pertinent to the thread: I pulled up behind a ratty old red Shadow at a light with a blown-out muffler... and on the hatch lid was what appeared to be an original Dodge Demon sticker, with the little devil holding his fork, the tines of which formed the letter "m" in Demon.

Soooo... you're saying that this car more or less deserves the name? Because it'll likely blow the competition's doors off in terms of exceptional handling, and gorgeous styling.

Agree with DF, Mopar has game and they are a bringin it!

Dart would be perfect for a compact Dodge.

Agreed...the late sixties Darts were among the best looking of the cars of the Era IMHO...

1969-dodge-dart-gts-2-door-hardtop.jpg

69dodgedartgts1.jpg

3368995789_94f232a2e9.jpg

956859.jpg

Pertinent to the thread: I pulled up behind a ratty old red Shadow at a light with a blown-out muffler... and on the hatch lid was what appeared to be an original Dodge Demon sticker, with the little devil holding his fork, the tines of which formed the letter "m" in Demon.

Demon won't be coming back as a nameplate because Dodge killed the name in 1973 due to Christian groups' complaints. I doubt today's bible thumpers would let it be used. Trivia... Dodge almost named used the name "Beaver" instead of Demon... but then learned that Beaver was a slang term for a certain female part.

Agreed...the late sixties Darts were among the best looking of the cars of the Era IMHO...

I actually preferred the fastbacks, but they did start off very good looking. Unfortunately, I think Chrysler gets an award for "first automotive line left to rot on the vine" because by 1976 the Dart and Valiant were FAR overdue for replacement.

Everything must be exactly as it was 20 years before my birth or its all wrong! Also, even if it were the same, I wouldn't be able to afford it, but my way is still the way it must be.

WHAaaaaa!!; someone has a different opinion than me OR they like something made before I was born (when The Bestest Things Were Made)!

And I NEVER give an opinion on ANYTHING I don't buy! :hissyfit:

• Agree 3

WHAaaaaa!!; someone has a different opinion than me OR they like something made before I was born (when The Bestest Things Were Made)!

And I NEVER give an opinion on ANYTHING I don't buy! :hissyfit:

Classic!