Debut Predictions for 2012 Detroit Auto Show

North-American-International-Auto-Show-Logo.jpg

With little over five weeks remaining for America's biggest Auto Show - The 2012, North American International Auto Show, let us begin by predicting what vehicles from various manufacturers do we expect to be released in concept or production form at the show.

I will start with captain obvious - ATS sedan in non V forms.

Since GMC showed off the Sierra HD All Terrain concept truck last year, maybe Chevy will show off a styling exercise previewing the new Silverado. Of course a GMC version of the Chevy Colorado could be in the works, however I think that might be saved for Chicago (traditionally the truck debut show of the majors) or NY.

I think the Hyundai Genesis Coupe will be there.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a smaller Buick SUV concept. Or else a small Chevy crossover, because that is an area GM is lacking. With the new Escape and Mazda CX-5 coming that segment is getting competitive. The Equinox is really a midsize vehicle, GM doesn't have an SUV of less than 180 inches in length. (Gamma or Delta based)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Found this today on the Chicago Tribune..

Some major releases will be announced Sunday, but most models will show up Monday and Tuesday. Continue reading below for a detailed list of model debuts. All times are listed in Eastern Standard Time.

Sunday, Jan. 8

• 2013 Cadillac ATS: 6:30 p.m.
  • 2013 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class: 6:30 p.m.

Monday, Jan. 9

• Ford EVOS concept: 8-8:25 a.m.
  • 2013 Ford Fusion: 8-8:25 a.m.
  • Chevrolet concept: 8:45-9:10 a.m.
  • Chevrolet concept: 8:45-9:10 a.m.
  • 2013 Chevrolet Sonic RS: 8:45-9:10 a.m.
  • 2013 Dodge Dart: 8:45-9:10 a.m.
  • 2013 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Hybrid: 9:55-10:20 a.m.
  • Smart For-Us concept: 9:55-10:20 a.m.
  • Volkswagen concept electric: 11:05-11:30 a.m.
  • 2013 Volkswagen Jetta Hybrid: 11:05-11:30 a.m.
  • 2013 BMW 3 Series: 11:40 a.m.-12:05 p.m.
  • New Bentley Continental GT, GTC V-8: 12:15-12:40 p.m.
  • Lexus LF-LC concept: 1:25-1:50 p.m.
  • 2013 Lexus LX 570: 1:25-1:50 p.m.
  • 2012 Mini Cooper Roadster: 2-2:22 p.m.
  • Acura ILX Concept: 2:35-3 p.m.
  • Acura NSX Concept: 2:35-3 p.m.
  • 2013 Acura RDX: 2:35-3 p.m.
  • 2013 Hyundai Genesis Coupe: 3:10-3:35 p.m.
  • 2013 Hyundai Veloster Turbo: 3:10-3:35 p.m.
  • Volvo XC60 Plug-In Concept: 4:20-4:45 p.m.

Tuesday, Jan. 10

• Lincoln MKZ concept: 8:10-8:35 a.m.
  • Toyota NS4 concept: 8:45-9:10 a.m.
  • 2013 Toyota Prius c: 8:45-9:10 a.m.
  • 2013 Honda Accord Coupe Concept: 9:20-9:45 a.m.
  • 2013 Buick Encore: 9:55-10:20 a.m.
  • Nissan eNV200 concept: 11:05-11:30 a.m.
  • Nissan Pathfinder concept: 11:05-11:30 a.m.

No conference; part of the Ride & Drive Preview Week

• AMP Jeep Grand Cherokee

I wonder what the Chevy concept on Monday will be.. A Camaro Z-28 variation? A Cruze variation (coupe?), Sonic CUV (Chevy's Encore equivalent) ?

I'd love to see a civilian version of the Caprice shown..or the much rumored Chevy 'SS'...

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

One is supposed to be a small, rear-wheel drive, retro-styled coupe, so the rumor goes.

If so, I'm thinking it could preview certain elements of the Alpha Camaro if not the entire car itself. It's one possible scenario out of three or four that could play out.

The small front-wheel drive concept car is something I haven't heard much about.

Edited by black-knight

Hmmm...the small FWD concept could be the Chevy version of the Encore. Or a new bodystyle for the Sonic or Cruze. Or something else...

Nope. They're both cars and likely won't preview a bodystyle of an exsisting car.

Chevrolet concept one: four-seater, rear-wheel drive coupe with eAssist. Possible retro styling.

Chevrolet concept two: Front-wheel drive hatchback with Voltec technology.

This is just what I've heard. There's a 60/40 chance it's right.

Edited by black-knight

e-Assist? Ewwww... Voltec? ho-hum. Unfettered internal combustion? Yay!/majority of auto execs w/access to market trends.

Love the idear of RWD 4 seater coupe, though, with forced-induction Ecotec or V6. And going smaller, maybe a rakish 2-door hatch version of Sonic.

Seems like some decent GM stuff is gonna be there. Maybe somebody will spring a leak beforehand???

Hmmm...the small FWD concept could be the Chevy version of the Encore. Or a new bodystyle for the Sonic or Cruze. Or something else...

Nope. They're both cars and likely won't preview a bodystyle of an exsisting car.

Chevrolet concept one: four-seater, rear-wheel drive coupe with eAssist. Possible retro styling.

Concept 2. Would that be the Spark with Voltech all electric power?

Concept 1 A Camaro with e Assist? And by Camaro I mean a hint at the new direction they may go with the Alpha based car?.

Edited by hyperv6

e-Assist? Ewwww... Voltec? ho-hum. Unfettered internal combustion? Yay!/majority of auto execs w/access to market trends.

Love the idear of RWD 4 seater coupe, though, with forced-induction Ecotec or V6. And going smaller, maybe a rakish 2-door hatch version of Sonic.

Seems like some decent GM stuff is gonna be there. Maybe somebody will spring a leak beforehand???

I think the thinking behind the coupe is great. I remember when I drove the last-generation Saturn Vue hybrid that had eAssist (or BAS back then) I thought it would be an awesome feature to have on a sports coupe. It's good to see someone at GM gets the idea.

It's honestly the small hatch concept that has me confuzzled a little.

I agree that this year's Detroit show will be great for previewing new GM iron. Hell, so far this year's show is shaping up to be much better than last year's.

Concept 2. Would that be the Spark with Voltech all electric power?

Concept 1 A Camaro with e Assist? And by Camaro I mean a hint at the new direction they may go with the Alpha based car?.

Well, they've already shown the all-electric Spark and this particular concept car may be a bit larger than anything that's on Gamma. Plus, like I said, it shouldn't be any sort of additional model or bodystyle of a car currently in production.

I'm thinking that's what the coupe concept could very well turn out to be.

Edited by black-knight