Cheers or Jeers: 96 Mile 1977 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme

11 members have voted

1. 1. Cheers or Jeers?

• Cheers! Cream of the Colonnade crop!
    • Jeers! It's in great shape, but I just can't get excited over it.

1977 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme. 2-door. 96 original miles with documentation.

This is possibly the lowest-miles ’77 Cutlass in existence. I have full documentation to back up this statement. This vehicle has never been registered. It does have a clean, clear New York title in hand. The car is currently stored in a climate controlled facility in southern Oregon. It originated in Rochester, New York. It was delivered to Philanz Olds Buick Pontiac dealership in Rochester. This vehicle never sold when new, and sat in a bullpen outside from 1977-1993, then underwent a cosmetic restoration.

The vehicle was painted as the original paint had faded. New base-coat clear-coat paint in the original color, wet-sanded and buffed to a high-gloss shine, then hand-rubbed to perfection. No orange peel, fisheyes, or blemishes. A new vinyl top was installed. This car had the original BF Goodrich tires until a few miles ago when they were replaced with 205x75x15 Goodyear radials; high end tires. I kept one of the original tires.

This car was ordered with the optional 403 ci 4 barrel. It has a turbo 350 and an optional 2.41 posi rear end. Good for 20 mpg under normal driving speeds/conditions. It runs and drives excellent with no known issues. No oil leaks, no transmission or rear end leaks, no dry starts meaning no lower end noises, no lifter noise. It is literally brand new and could be driven cross-country with no problems. All hoses and belts appear to be in good working order with no cracks or dry rot.

The original oil-filled shocks were replaced with new Monroe gas shocks for better driving characteristics. I also replaced the puny front sway bar with a bigger performance bar with urethane bushings. Also replaced the headlights with cool blues for better visibility. The original shocks and headlights are in a box in the trunk. The constipated single exhaust system was replaced with dual 2 ½” aluminized exhaust with Flowmaster-type mufflers and chrome tips out the back by the rear bumper (not shown in the pictures). The exhaust system was $500. The original system was still in good shape, but I wanted to bump up the performance and the tone. It sounds throaty but mellow.

Options: The Cutlass is heavily optioned. In 1977 the original window sticker listed it with over $1800 in options. 403 ci (standard was 350); posi; factory air; power windows, seat, antenna, trunk release; rear defogger; AM/FM radio; light group package including under-hood and trunk light; remote driver’s side mirror; Olds SS II 15x7 Rallys.

The engine compartment was in need of detailing due to sitting for so long. I disassembled the top half of the motor and detailed all brackets painting them the correct sheen. The engine was completely painted the original color. It is detailed very nice under the hood. The original ’77 quadrajet carburetor was replaced with a ’75 quadrajet. The reason for this is unknown. The under-hood insulation is missing. Other than that, the engine compartment appears to be factory correct.

The front suspension and frame rails were painted. This car was never undercoated nor were any of the suspension parts painted from the factory, including the transmission pan, rear end housing, trailing arms, so on. If the factory would have undercoated the car originally, there would be no surface rust. There is surface rust because this vehicle was not stored inside the first 15 years of its life. This is typical of a car after even one year of driving. There is no rot of any kind anywhere. This is not a rust-bucket. Please keep in mind that this is a 35 year old car. It was not stored in a cozy, climate controlled environment until 1993. If you expect it to be perfect, please keep looking. It is above-and-beyond driver quality!

Body: The body is very straight. Nice paint with high-end PPG products used. All factory-tinted glass is excellent with no chips, clouding, or scratches. The windshield is excellent. The bumpers are very straight and the chrome is driver quality, but very shiny. All outside stainless and pot metal is in very good condition including the grille inserts and outer rear-view mirror. All trunk, roof rails and door rubbers are pliable and dry-rot free; they look new.

Electrical: All turn signals, brake, and back-up lights work as they should. Dome, dash, under-hood, trunk, every bulb on this car works. The Air Conditioning will need to be serviced and recharged as the compressor was taken off to be painted and detailed. The AC clutches and bearings are as new. The heater blower motor is very quiet and blows on all 3 speeds; the heater and defroster work excellent.

Interior: It is as new with the exception of some fading on the carpet. This can be easily dyed to original. No cracks in the dash. The dash bezel and lens are as new. There is a small hole in the rear package tray about the size of a dime; easy fix.

Trunk: The original spare, jack, and trunk mat are in excellent condition. The original spare has never been taken out other than to detail the trunk. The trunk is very clean with optional trunk light. Zero rust; the original trunk paint looks new.

For those of you who doubt the mileage on this true survivor, I have all documents to verify the facts. 2 build sheets; window sticker; 2 Federal Odometer Disclosure Statements; dealer showroom brochure; dealer’s option check-off sheet; Statement of Origin to a Motor Vehicle; ’77 Olds Maintenance Schedule-2; Warranty Info on ’77 Olds new cars; Delco-GM radio manual; original owner’s manual; ’77 Consumers Information on Olds. BF Goodrich Tire Warranty pamphlet. I also have a statement of mileage from 2000 verifying 9 miles at that time. The picture of the odometer shows 77 original miles, but the car now has 96 miles as it was driven to storage. I will also include the original Philanz Oldsmobile plastic license frame.

I have a phone number from a gentleman who can also verify that the mileage is accurate. He lived next door to the Philanz Oldsmobile dealership and tried to purchase this car for years, but the owner would not sell it.

The Cutlass would make a great local cruiser, possible winning local trophies. In just the few miles I’ve driven it, it gets a very positive response!

The Cutlass has been relisted due to a non-responsive high bidder. Please don't bid if you don't intend to pay for the car. A non-refundable deposit of $1000 is due within 24 hours of auction close.

I’ve described this vehicle as honestly and accurately as possible. Any inspections are more than welcome before the end of the auction. This car is being sold as-is with no warranty expressed or implied. I don’t think you’ll be disappointed in this vehicle. This car is for sale locally, so I reserve the right to end the auction early. The reserve is low, so bid with confidence.

$%28KGrHqNHJDcE9005usyyBPeQz%29snqQ~~60_3.JPG

$%28KGrHqFHJBME9rY6tOH+BPeQyQbnSw~~60_3.JPG

$%28KGrHqVHJDcE91Ls4w-!BPeQygrNRQ~~60_3.JPG

$%28KGrHqRHJEEE94gWt8S1BPeQzd0Pi!~~60_3.JPG

• 4 weeks later...
  • 9 years later...
Guest Steven Magnolia

I am the person that brought this car to Oregon from N.Y. I currently own another 77 Cutlass Supreme that was a part of the three cars I brought from Rochester N.Y. in 2015. The car I kept has currently 7.8 original miles and is at the end stages of fresh paint and some cosmetic restoration. I plan to finish this spring, and then DRIVE the car as much as I can!