Locating old part numbers

There were periodical parts books before microfiche and computers. I'm sure somebody, somewhere, still has some old books, or maybe there's a website somewhere with captures or something.

Do you have a list of parts you need to find? Is this for your Toronado?

Back in the early-mid 90's, if we had an old book, we could punch a part number into the computer and it would come back still good, it's just that the older numbers were purged out of the system, but they could be re-loaded. I remember selling speedometer gears for some older cars and even suspension parts for 1960's Chevy pickups.

What about GM Restoration Parts catalogs?

Well I'm hoping to set up some automated searches for some NOS stuff for the Toronado. The part that is on my mind at the moment is the rails for the center ash tray. I'm sure they were used on lots of vehicles, but I can't find the p/n. Also could use a p/n for the smog pump pulley...not the whole pump.

Go talk to your local dealer. We have electronic parts catalogs back into the 1970's, and paper catalogs even further back for some things. There are also obsolescence and supersession catalogs. Once we have the numbers we can look into the national database and see if any dealers or warehouses still have the part in stock. There is also an obsolete parts warehouse for recently discontinued parts that GM wants to try and clear out.

Edited by thedriver

Hmmm... ashtray rails. We used to get ashtrays as an assembly.

thedriver, what would be the GM parts group number for that pulley? Would it be in the 1000s? Is it possible the dealer could punch in 1984 Olds E and the group number? Or does everything go off the VIN now?

I have been down this road so many times now, and it's never easy.

I sure do wish that someone (GM) would publish this information - the hobby would eat it up!

Better yet, a searchable database - I'd happily pay for that service.

There are tons of NOS GM parts out there that even those who deal in them don't know what they are.

Those big,old, parts books are worth their weight in gold.

Hmmm... ashtray rails. We used to get ashtrays as an assembly.

thedriver, what would be the GM parts group number for that pulley? Would it be in the 1000s? Is it possible the dealer could punch in 1984 Olds E and the group number? Or does everything go off the VIN now?

For the pump pulley, it doesn't need to be just e-body. Any 307 from a G-body or E-body is compatible. Probably others too. I know F-body, Y-Body, and B-body are not compatible even if they have a 307.

I'd happily pay for the whole assembly if I could get the rails.

VIN search is easier, but doesn't really extend back beyond about 1990. Without VIN can search for anything. I will check my catalogs tomorrow.

My manager has been at the dealership for 36 years, when the books were replaced by computer he kept the newest ones for himself. We use them all the time. But they are his, when he goes, so do they...

I agree with Camino, the part number is likely stamped on the pulley. I usually put the part numbers into GMPartsdirect.com or a couple other websites, which will sometimes give me a substitution of some sort. In the end, most of these kinds of parts are unobtainium from GM... and there are so many similar part numbers that doing automated searches on only your part number is going to miss a lot of suitable parts. You're probably going to find yourself getting a dead pump with a good pulley from eBay or a distant junkyard.

SPEAKING OF THIS TOPIC... I was cleaning out my desk ahead of our closing next week, and I ran across two treasures. Mitchell Collision Estimating Guide Domestic Older Models, printed October, 1987 (covers 1973-1980 models) and Collision Estimating Guide Imported European, printed December, 1987 (covers some models back to 1965 depending on full model changes, up to 1987) if anyone needs COLLISION (body, suspension and cooling system) part numbers.

Side note: I never knew there were two frames for a 1974 Olds Toronado... one with the optional supplemental restraint airbag system, one without.

SPEAKING OF THIS TOPIC... I was cleaning out my desk ahead of our closing next week, and I ran across two treasures. Mitchell Collision Estimating Guide Domestic Older Models, printed October, 1987 (covers 1973-1980 models) and Collision Estimating Guide Imported European, printed December, 1987 (covers some models back to 1965 depending on full model changes, up to 1987) if anyone needs COLLISION (body, suspension and cooling system) part numbers.

Side note: I never knew there were two frames for a 1974 Olds Toronado... one with the optional supplemental restraint airbag system, one without.

That is very cool, I would for sure hold onto those books.

• 5 weeks later...